Author Topic: Gender, sexual orientation and power  (Read 13926 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Gender, sexual orientation and power
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 09:47:07 am »
You so silly! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Gotta be, or the depressing realities of this thread would sink me so low I'd give up.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2007, 10:14:57 am »

Gotta be, or the depressing realities of this thread would sink me so low I'd give up.

No No No !!!!

The point of this thread should be learning how to define yourself and not let other people define you!

(and gay people have a lot to teach here!)

We can just kvetch and bitch, but that won't change anything.

Of course a good laugh now and then won't hurt either.   ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 11:36:41 am »
I agree, Clyde. I think you have to face the problems before you can fix them.

And you're right -- gay people are good role models for learning to be true to yourself.  :)

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 12:48:18 pm »
I agree, Clyde. I think you have to face the problems before you can fix them.

And you're right -- gay people are good role models for learning to be true to yourself.  :)

One of the things I discovered was that I was giving up control of defining myself to other people.  I was actually letting them define me for me.  It's very subtle and I think a lot of people that are faced with this problem less severely than gays aren't even aware of how it's being done to them, how they are doing it to themselves, and what to do about it.

moremojo

Re: Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 01:20:01 pm »
Nobody adores women like the men who aren't interested in having sex with them.  ;D
This is so true! Certainly in the realm of arts and entertainment, you would be hard pressed to find more devoted fans of a woman performer than her gay male followers.

A lot of people have this misconception that gay men have no interest or admiration for women, and this is very far from the case. Women just (generally) don't have that erotic allure for most of us that men do.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 02:44:36 pm »
One of the things I discovered was that I was giving up control of defining myself to other people.  I was actually letting them define me for me.  It's very subtle and I think a lot of people that are faced with this problem less severely than gays aren't even aware of how it's being done to them, how they are doing it to themselves, and what to do about it.

I think you're right, Clyde. Gay people have to confront it much more directly, while others are able to ignore or deny it. I know I do that, to some extent.  :-\

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2007, 07:24:01 pm »
This is so true! Certainly in the realm of arts and entertainment, you would be hard pressed to find more devoted fans of a woman performer than her gay male followers.

A lot of people have this misconception that gay men have no interest or admiration for women, and this is very far from the case. Women just (generally) don't have that erotic allure for most of us that men do.

I dunno.  I've been around gay men who were very hostile toward women and groups of women.  They turn away and tune us out when socializing.  Not everyone of course, I'm just saying I've had that experience.

I was one of two women in the audience at the freebie sneak-peek of BBM in a sea of gay men.  I was a little dismayed at the laughter I finally deemed inappropriate that went on and on and on during the scene where Alma sees Ennis and Jack kissing.  Yes, I understand surprise/relief/shocked laughter.  This laughing went on waaaaaaaaaaay too long, IMO and seemed a bit mean-spiritied, especially when you see Alma's character in pain on the screen.

It wasn't funny at that point.

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 12:16:26 am »
I think you're right, Clyde. Gay people have to confront it much more directly, while others are able to ignore or deny it. I know I do that, to some extent.  :-\

The first problem to confront is the idea of waiting around for things to change.  Waiting for rights to be granted.  Waiting for things to get better.

As long as the powers that be can convince you to wait until they improve things, got any guesses what will happen?