Author Topic: Scene Discussion: By the Fire  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Scene Discussion: By the Fire
« on: June 26, 2007, 11:00:16 am »
Here is another scene that we have discussed before but I don't think we've really covered it in depth.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

Re: Scene Discussion: By the Fire
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 01:08:47 pm »

Hey Lee, good idea!
 :D
You know what I love about this scene, it's the unique look on Jack's face after Ennis says those famous lines "Hell, that's more than I spoke...". It's a beautiful mixture of sadness for Ennis's childhood, probably his own as well (he probably realises here how much they have in common...) and an increasing fascination for and infatuation with Ennis.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:17:05 pm »
Yes, that is a wonderful look he gives Jack. And Jack's look as he listens to Ennis and starts to smile...that is like the sun breaking through the clouds after a thunderstorm!!

One thing that worries me looking at this picture is the sight of the elk jerky hanging up to dry behind Ennis. It reminds me of this picture of what Ennis did to the coyote that he shot:

And, of course it reminds me of the horrific scene Ennis was forced to see by his dad when he was only nine years old.  :'(

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 05:31:25 pm »
Another thing that I just noticed is that there is a horse's rump on the left, some elk flesh on the right, and a leather saddle in the middle. It seems like some kind of medieval allegorical painting by some Flemish painter or sumthun.

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 11:20:20 pm »
Hi everyone,

This is interestin because i didn't know before if there are americans living like that (hunt elks for food) in 21 century.

BBM also gives new meaning to marlboro commercials usually played before a theathre starts in Bali. i feel nostalgic. sometimes u want to get more of Jack and Ennis but that can't happen.
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 05:24:22 am »
Yes, that is a wonderful look he gives Jack. And Jack's look as he listens to Ennis and starts to smile...that is like the sun breaking through the clouds after a thunderstorm!!

One thing that worries me looking at this picture is the sight of the elk jerky hanging up to dry behind Ennis. It reminds me of this picture of what Ennis did to the coyote that he shot:

And, of course it reminds me of the horrific scene Ennis was forced to see by his dad when he was only nine years old.  :'(

I meant the look on Jack's face after Ennis says those famous lines "Hell, that's more than I spoke...". He looks so sad, did you notice that? It's such great acting from Jake.

I also worry about the elk meat hanging there because the bears could get to it easily... I hope they put it in the food bag when they go to sleep.... :-\

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 12:41:33 pm »
I meant the look on Jack's face after Ennis says those famous lines "Hell, that's more than I spoke...". He looks so sad, did you notice that?

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

On IMDB, people would frequently wonder what the difference would be if it were a male/female pairing.  I think that if it were one, the first kiss (or some physical demonstration of their attraction) would have been right there:

"[smile] That's the most you've spoke in the past 2 weeks."
"[smile] That's the most I've spoke in a year"
[KISS]

I think Jack looks sad there because they've had that verbal breakthrough — that bonding moment right there.  But at that point, they can't do anything about it!   :(  That's what I think frustrates Jack.

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »
Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

On IMDB, people would frequently wonder what the difference would be if it were a male/female pairing.  I think that if it were one, the first kiss (or some physical demonstration of their attraction) would have been right there:

"[smile] That's the most you've spoke in the past 2 weeks."
"[smile] That's the most I've spoke in a year"
[KISS]

I think Jack looks sad there because they've had that verbal breakthrough — that bonding moment right there.  But at that point, they can't do anything about it!   :(  That's what I think frustrates Jack.

Very well-put, I like that theory... Deep down inside Jack just wants to crawl up to Ennis and hold him to comfort him and tell him he's so sorry he had such a crappy childhood.....but he realises he can't....

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 09:15:43 pm »
I've seen that as Jack turning pensive and sad, compassionate, because he's realizing and taking in the depth of Ennis's previous loneliness. Jack's reaction was especially poignant because it contrasted with the film audience's reaction (at least over here) - people laughing at Ennis's statemen. Audiences initially saw it as a mere joke and nothing but a joke, but Jack's reaction more than anything showed them the reality behind Ennis's words.

Also, I've been wondering about Jack's "boot in the fire" - whether that was intentional (and if so, to what purpose?) or just happened that way, with Jake continuing with the scene and Ang Lee deciding to keep that particular take later on. In a way it makes it look especially realistic.

And finally, I've wondered about those Forest Service people that weren't to catch our sheep herders with no elk; - wouldn't the Forest Service have reacted and been suspicious about that very visible rack with lots of drying meat, in the middle of camp?  ???
"Oh, sorry, but we came across this poor elk that had broken its leg so we had to help it out of its misery.... And no use wasting good food, is there? "

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 04:52:17 am »

Hey Lee, good idea!
 :D
You know what I love about this scene, it's the unique look on Jack's face after Ennis says those famous lines "Hell, that's more than I spoke...". It's a beautiful mixture of sadness for Ennis's childhood, probably his own as well (he probably realises here how much they have in common...) and an increasing fascination for and infatuation with Ennis.

Yeah, I love this moment too... But a couple of lines before that, I just like that way Jack smiles at Ennis before he says, "Man, that's more words than youi've said in 2 weeks".   It gets me every time.

R