Author Topic: New Opera "Ainadamar"  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
New Opera "Ainadamar"
« on: June 26, 2007, 12:16:50 pm »
My friend LauraGigs told me about the very exciting-sounding new opera "Ainadamar" (Fountain of Tears) by the Spanish composer Osvaldo Golijov which is having its premiere this summer. She says it is based on the true story of a gay Spanish poet and his friend who grieves his murder. (Gustavo Santaolalla is a close associate of the composer and was the sound designer for the recorded version of this opera.

Anybody seen it?

More at

http://www.osvaldogolijov.com/g3.htm

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Scott6373

Re: New Opera "Ainadamar"
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:57:53 pm »
My friend LauraGigs told me about the very exciting-sounding new opera "Ainadamar" (Fountain of Tears) by the Spanish composer Osvaldo Golijov which is having its premiere this summer. She says it is based on the true story of a gay Spanish poet and his friend who grieves his murder. (Gustavo Santaolalla is a close associate of the composer and was the sound designer for the recorded version of this opera.

Anybody seen it?

More at

http://www.osvaldogolijov.com/g3.htm

No but I would very interested in hearing this...where might I find the recorded version?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:14:33 pm »
I'll try to track this down.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 11:05:09 pm »
It's having its Colorado debut this summer, I think.  Mike has a recording (although it's frequently at work with him).  I can find out the label and such . . .   ;)

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 01:08:13 pm »
Amazon.com
This unique, 80-minute opera must be heard. The title means "Fountain of Tears" in Arabic and refers to the place in Granada where Federico Garcia Lorca was executed by Fascist soldiers in 1936. The work opens in a theater in Uruguay in 1969. As the actress Margarita Xirgu, who collaborated with Lorca in the 1920s and '30s, is about to go on stage, she recalls memories of him and his death and the survivor's guilt she feels. Musical images take us back as well. The sounds of hoofbeats, a fountain, and gun shots punctuate the otherwise beautiful, tonal, highly Spanish-influenced score, filled with flamenco and rumba rhythms. The vocal lines are all highly singable as well as dramatic. The work is mostly scored for women's voices: Margartita, sung by Dawn Upshaw; Lorca himself, sung by Kelley O'Connor; Nuria, Margarita's student, sung by Jessica Rivera. There is also an ensemble of women's voices that do most of the work. Margarita dies just before going onstage. The trio for her, Nuria, and Lorca is about as beautiful as anything you'll ever hear. "What a sad day it was in Granada / The stones began to cry" is a refrain that recurs throughout the opera, and the whole piece is sheer poetry. This is stunning. --Robert Levine

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ainadamar means "Fountain of Tears" in Arabic, and is the first opera by Argentinian composer Osvaldo Golijov. The libretto is by American playwright David Henry Hwang. It premiered in Tanglewood on August 10, 2003. After major revisions, the new version premiered at the Santa Fe Opera on July 30, 2005. It met its Chicago premiere at the Ravinia Festival on June 14, 2006.

The opera tells the story of playwright Federico García Lorca and his lover and muse, Catalan actress Margarita Xirgu. A unique aspect of this opera is that the part of male Lorca is played by a woman. The opera is told in reverse in a series of flashbacks, and involves Lorca's opposition to the Falange, accusations of homosexuality, and his subsequent murder.

The first recording came out on Deutsche Grammophon on May 9, 2006. It immediately sped to the top of the classical music Billboard charts. It was recorded by the artists for whom it was written, including Dawn Upshaw as Xirgu, Kelley O'Connor as Lorca, Jessica Rivera as Nuria, and conducted by Robert Spano with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and women of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus.

Both the recording and the opera met immediate critical acclaim. The recording has won two Grammy Awards -Best Opera Recording of 2006, and Best Classical Contemporary Composition. Like much of Golijov's work, the opera heavily incorporates Arab and Jewish idioms, as well as Spanish flamenco sounds — in fact, there is a flamenco guitar section incorporated into the orchestra.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
As noted above, the Atlanta recording is available from Deutsche Grammophon
and I have seen it available for download for less than $4 as mp3s.
and at Amazon.Com for about $14 (I guess I get the Canadian price.)

01   Preludio De Agua Y Caballo
02   Balada
03   Mariana, Tus Ojos (To Dawn Upshaw)
04   Bar Albor De Madrid
05   Desde Mi Ventana (Aria A La Estatua De Mariana)
06   Muerte A Caballo
07   Balada - 2
08   Quiero Arrancarme Los Ojos
09   A La Habana (Composed By Gonzalo Grau)
10   Quiero Cantar Entre Las Explosiones
11   Arresto
12   La Fuente De Las Lagrimas
13   Confesion
14   Interludio De Balazos Y Lamento Por La Muerte De Federico
15   Balada - 3
16   De Mi Fuente Tu Emerges
17   Tome Su Mano
18   Crepusculo Delirante
19   Doy Mi Sangre
20   Yo Soy La Libertad

The musical styles and track names (and I assume the lyrics are in Spanish) seem to make for an eclectic listen.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 01:23:20 pm by Toast »