Author Topic: just wanted to tell my story and hear yours  (Read 7079 times)

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
just wanted to tell my story and hear yours
« on: April 30, 2006, 11:50:54 pm »
hopefully if you all have done this one before , you'll allow me to introduce myself..i really find this theraputic and so i hope you don't mind...

i am a 59 yr old married straight woman, 4 kids,3 are married, 3 grand kids. Work in an office, pretty typical stuff...
my daughter in law, whom i adore, had a brother that was gay.  "J" was a wonderful guy, so smart, so artistic, just a fantastic human being, and the first gay person i have ever had a close realtionship with.  I was born into a very strict mainstream domination church..i was taught all the common "hate" speak that that genre clings to...i grew up with the same prejudices that now disgust and sicken me.  However, this metamorphsis didn't start until i met "J".  I was beginning to pull away from the churches domination and rethinking my whole belief system abou the time i was forced to start spending time with "J" because we moved in with my son and his family while we built our house and "J" was there often, traveled alot, and therefore stayed whenever he was in town.  Getting to know him was the best thing that has ever happened to me.  He was so wise and didn't once act like i was the enemy because of my former beliefs...we talked for hours and i began to see and feel the pain and hatred he had suffered in his life..he had known and lost love, had been rejected by memebers of his famiiy, and on an on, as some of you can relate to...he also had aids...he had been diagnosed 13 long years ago and had been in on the first testing of expermental drugs..he had maintained a relative healthy lifestyle for all those years and was doing very well until about last june, then started to go into a downhill spiral that ended with his death in August.
I have never missed anyone so much....and then i  saw BBM.  all of my defenses came falling down...the "new, better" attitude i thought i had built over the last few years just became so much fluff...just words...i really meant well, but i did NOT get it until i saw BBM...i wish SO much i could see this movie with "J"/  THat we could talk about it and that i could tell him that i really really get it now...i get all of it..i understand, i am sorry, i want to hold him and see him and i just miss him so damn much and i can't do any of that and it is tearing my heart out....
i watch the movie over and over and in it i see "J" and his loss and his struggle all of those years trying to be happy, to be accepted, and he did find that peace at times, but society leaves a big scar on some of us and i don't think he ever really felt accepted...his ex-partner preached his sermon, and it was just heartbreaking...they tried so many times to get it right, but "J" had a problem with substance abuse, off and on (i'm sure realted to the small town mentality he grew up with) and "B" just couldn't keep it together, but they both were never happy apart...in the sermon, he talked about always thinking of that willie song, angel flying too close to the ground, and that was how he saw "J"...freaky thinkg, i had that song downloaded as my ring tone...gave me goosebumps...
the thing is..when the person you love is gone the sadness of never being able to go back and make things right, because it seems to take a loss like that to crystalize things in your mind,  and then it is too late...that feeling in the pit of your stomach just eats you alive sometimes...hurts so damn much...and you can't do one damn thing, not one, to change it....   
i hope he knows how i feel now, because if he doesn't i don't think i can stand it...but Ennis says if you can't fix it you GOTTA stand it..oh, man, thats hard...really hard...
sorry to be a downer tonight...i just can't get "J" out of my head or heart today...
thanks for letting me talk... 
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
Re: just wanted to tell my story and hear yours
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 12:03:51 am »
Thankyou for your heartfelt story Maggie.  These are the experiences that are enriching us both as individuals and as a group.  For some strange reason, it appears to be a hard day for many people as the past catches up and the emotions boil to the top.  I hope you find joy here as so many in here feel as you have beautifully described. X
~A good general knows when to retreat~

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 12:10:35 am »
thanks, ray...don't know what it is about today...i see him when i close my eyes, i hear his voice, i want to talk to him so badly...and i can't sleep...thanks for "hearing me"..i can hardly see the keys for the tears...old brokeback got me good...
it helps SO much to have someone to talk to that understands...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 04:48:00 am »
Thanks for telling your story. I'm lucky I haven't any heartbreaking stories like that. But I hope BBM has opened my heart and mind and made me better person because of it.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 09:21:54 am »
My deepest sympathy, "maggie." A lot of us have been in your shoes. You are not alone.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 11:19:49 am »
Oh 'maggie...' - I can understand the depth of that feeling.  Sounds like J left you with so many gifts, and one of the wonderful ones you'll keep giving is the compassion and understanding that your now open heart can offer.  And one that you'll keep on giving, and it's that giving that heals...you and others.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 12:20:46 pm by yaadpyar »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 01:19:31 pm »
Thank you so much, i needed to hear that so badly.... and he did leave me with so many gifts, not the least of which was just knowiing him and you know..being accepted BY HIM..it was very humbling...

thank you for your understanding...
this is why i knew i could pour out my heart here, and you all would understand...

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 05:24:57 pm »
Wow "Maggie...", thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I'm so sorry that you lost someone so special to you. I hope that you are able to find some comfort and peace among the threads of this board, and with the amazing people that reside within them.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 07:51:54 pm »
you are all so kind and understanding...thanks Fuzzy..i know i am surley not alone on this subject here, and i don't want to portray myself as being that...i know so many of you have suffered the loss of friends and partners...i just wanted to say that i understand and in our grief, we come together and become stronger,,,get the strength to go on, and try to make a difference in this crazy world ..
its just that sometimes...those quiet times, you can just feel them there and yet you can't be with them...i get so frustrated...and THIS is one of the important messages of BBM...don't put it off, what ever it is for you, because you might never get the chnace to make the decision again...it may be taken right out of your hands...always say what you feel, hold tight to those you love and never, never be afraid of what ANYONE on this earth thinks....life is too short to live with all that regret...
hold someone you love tonight...tell them how much they mean to you.....if you have been on the fence about a choice, MAKE IT....it you're afraid to take a chance...TAKE IT....don't sleep through this life, folks...its all we got....
there ain't no reins on this one....if Ennis could have moved off center everything would have been different...lets learn from him...
thanks for listening...AGAIN...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 12:09:30 am »
Hi there - Thank you so much for posting your story here and for your message of acting sooner, without delays.  I am so sorry for your loss and I hope you do find some peace and comfort among all the good people here.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."