Author Topic: "I was supposed to control the weather"... Jack and the Wind  (Read 89501 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: "I was supposed to control the weather"... Jack and the Wind
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2007, 12:52:04 pm »
And how fitting as a caption for one of my favorite photo manips!  8)

That is so COOL!
The only thing missing is his cowboy hat! ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline miniangel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2007, 12:30:35 am »
I've only just returned to Bettermost, having met some of you lovely people in person - and what a great time that was - only to find that delicious photo. I feel a new avatar coming on.....

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2007, 11:12:15 am »
Hi miniangel!  That avatar would be terrific for you.  I'm looking forward to seeing it around a lot here.  ;D  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2007, 11:24:47 am »
That is so COOL!
The only thing missing is his cowboy hat! ;D

He didn't have his cowboy hat when he was in the stream, beating on the shirt with a stick. And he didn't have his hat when Ennis knocked it off right before the reunion kiss. So, Jack without his cowboy hat is s'alright with me.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2007, 11:32:26 am »
He didn't have his cowboy hat when he was in the stream, beating on the shirt with a stick. And he didn't have his hat when Ennis knocked it off right before the reunion kiss. So, Jack without his cowboy hat is s'alright with me.

Well, I ain't complainin mind ya!  ;D
Just sayin..
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

moremojo

« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2007, 11:33:28 am »
Obviously, he also couldn't have had it on when he was born, and probably didn't have it on when he died. Jack Twist was a role that not only Jake Gyllenhaal played, but also Jack Twist himself. When we return to the ineffable after our earthly demise, our roles come off of us just like discarded costumes.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2007, 11:35:55 am »
Welcome back to BetterMost miniangel!

That is a pretty cool photo indeed and definitely seems like a nice visual relationship to the wind topic.  I think it would look sort of odd if he was wearing a cowboy hat in this context.  So, I agree with Lee that Jack without a hat is just fine in some circumstances.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2007, 08:05:20 am »
Another connection to the wind...

A bit of background information, a more earthly one, not a symbolic one - but interesting nonetheless:

Triggered by a post by Adam in the Social Events Forum, I visited the findingbrokeback site once more and there found a link to a site called peakfinder.com.

The mountain we see in the postcard Ennis has at his closet door, next to The Shirts, is Mount Lougheed.
What connects this fact with the wind topic is the following: Mount Lougheed formerly was named 'Wind Mountain' and today the peak south of Mount Lougheed is named Wind Mountain and the steep peak to the right is called Windtower. And it's located in the Wind River Valley (Alberta).
So the mountain(s) who represent Brokeback Mountain in the postcard are closely connected to the wind.

How fitting.

(BTW more Wind names: Riverton lies in the Wind River Mountains Country (WY) and in the Winde River Indian Reservation, named after the Wind River that runs through it.)

If you want to read the whole story about Wind Mountain/ Mount Lougheed and Windtower, it's here:

http://www.peakfinder.com/showpeakbyid.asp?MtnId=558

And here: http://www.rmbooks.com//Peakfinder/peakfinder.asp?PeakName=Windtower

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2007, 11:29:37 am »
Hi Chrissi!

Thanks!  That's amazing information.  The imagery associated with this film/ story is certainly multi-layered
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline miniangel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2007, 12:09:15 am »
Chrissie, that's fabulous! Ennis as water and Jack as wind makes it kind of obvious why they went into the Wind Rivers time and again, and why Ennis lived in Riverton on the Wind River.