Author Topic: "I was supposed to control the weather"... Jack and the Wind  (Read 90299 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "I was supposed to control the weather"... Jack and the Wind
« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2007, 12:17:08 am »
I posted a large picture of the Wind River Range here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3088.msg200257.html#msg200257

and I also posted an article today about Ang Lee's travels thru the Wind River Canyon while researching the story:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,12399.msg235071.html#msg235071

Coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe we are all just craving a puff of wind during the dog days of summer!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2007, 06:00:04 am »
I posted a large picture of the Wind River Range here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3088.msg200257.html#msg200257

and I also posted an article today about Ang Lee's travels thru the Wind River Canyon while researching the story:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,12399.msg235071.html#msg235071

Coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe we are all just craving a puff of wind during the dog days of summer!

Thanks Lee for both links. Great photo and what a nice article.

Coincidence? - Well, some people say there are no coincidences  ;D.
I don't know. But it's at least intriguing.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2007, 08:40:19 pm »

I just finished watching BBM tonight and noticed something interesting in two crucial "wind" scenes.  I don't recall if this has come up previously in this thread (forgive me if it has).

In the "morning after" scene following TS1 immediately after Jack says "see you for supper" the wind kicks up (this I know we've discussed in the past).  But the thing that really struck me this time, is that the wind actually comes from behind his back and towards Ennis.  The only effect this wind seems to have on Jack himself is that it ruffles the collar on his coat slightly.  The wind almost seems to follow or line-up with his gaze looking at Ennis.

This is striking, primarily, because it happens again and in a more dramatic/ noticeable way when Ennis and Jack part ways at the end of the '63 summer.  When they're both standing next to Jack's old truck... the wind is really whipping... and again it's essentially coming from Jack's direction and towards Ennis.  In this scene, Ennis is squinting (in his normal way) and really seems to be battered by the wind coming towards his face (his squinting seems to be as much a result of the wind as the brightness of the sun).  Jack however, appears almost completely un-touched by this wind... he almost seems oblivious to it.  He's not squinting (in anywhere near the dramatic fashion that Ennis is) and the fact that the wind come from behind Jack's back causes it to have less of an effect on his comfort (apparently).  And, then of course, once Jack leaves the wind remains to follow Ennis into the alley.

Truly amazing and very spooky.  Jack is honestly a little spooky in many ways even from very early on in the film... Only to become more dramatically so as a "presence" following his death.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2007, 08:48:55 pm »
Great observations Amanda.
I knew exactly what you were talking about when  I read that!
I just love the wind as a metaphor (I hope thats the right word) for Jack.
It's so fitting.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2007, 08:59:10 pm »
Great observations Amanda.
I knew exactly what you were talking about when  I read that!
I just love the wind as a metaphor (I hope thats the right word) for Jack.
It's so fitting.

Thanks Friend!  The wind is my all-time favorite metaphor in BBM (in both the film and the story... and I'm just so glad that the filmmatkers really picked up on the wind idea from the story).  Absolutely gorgeous idea and symbol... and the ways that this symbol funcitons are just so numerous and profound.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2007, 09:50:54 pm »
Thanks Friend!  The wind is my all-time favorite metaphor in BBM (in both the film and the story... and I'm just so glad that the filmmatkers really picked up on the wind idea from the story).  Absolutely gorgeous idea and symbol... and the ways that this symbol funcitons are just so numerous and profound.
I know, they did a fantastic job.
The wind is truly like another character in the movie.
I don't know if it's been mentioned (probably has cause I'm not really smart enough to come up with this on my own so I probably heard it somewhere and don't remember! LOL) but it seems to me like Ennis Jack and the wind form some type of trinity. Just like in Christianity, when Jesus ascends to be with the Father his  Holy Spirit descends upon us to be with us. kinda like Jack and the wind.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2008, 03:28:14 pm »
Bumping! Somehow this thread had fallen all the way down to page 6 of Open Forum! Yikes.  :o

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2008, 11:56:20 am »
Well that is an unsatisfactory situation, friend! (said with a Texas twang)

Thought of Jack last nite as the howling wind ushered in a warm front to the Front Range.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2008, 02:46:43 pm »
It's so funny, Everytime it gets windy I think of Jack.
Once here recently I was chasing a recipt that had blown out of my car across the parking lot.
everytime I just about got my dern hands on it the wind would blow it about a foot ahead.
Finally I said "Very funny Jack, now can I getthat recipt?" I walked right over and picked it up wthout another gust of wind to blow it away. I can just imagine Jack sayin "Aww heck, I was just funnin ya! "  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2008, 03:14:25 pm »
It's so funny, Everytime it gets windy I think of Jack.
Once here recently I was chasing a recipt that had blown out of my car across the parking lot.
everytime I just about got my dern hands on it the wind would blow it about a foot ahead.
Finally I said "Very funny Jack, now can I getthat recipt?" I walked right over and picked it up wthout another gust of wind to blow it away. I can just imagine Jack sayin "Aww heck, I was just funnin ya! "  :laugh:  :laugh:

:laugh: Jack must have heard you. Great story.

I love how almost three years into it our boys are still never too far from our minds in our everyday lives.
It's the same with the wind for me. Given that I don't live in a windy area. So when we do have a windy day every now and then, I always think of Jack. And of Barb, because I always think "Jack is here" (Barb is the one who originally posted the thread with the same name).