Author Topic: Question on a detail  (Read 10515 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Question on a detail
« on: June 27, 2007, 11:35:31 am »
What in hell is this round, red thing that's sticking out from the kitchen cabinet to the right?

You have no idea what I'm talking about? Here's a cut-out of the object:

In the movie, it looks like a miniature basketball hoop, but the net under it is obviously not open. And what are the little red objects in it?

You can't see it clearly in the pics, but in the movie you see that it is affixed to the right citchen cabinett and it juts out.

I've wanted to ask this question since an eternity. Every time I see the movie, it bugs me and all I can look at is this thing. I can't keep my eyes from it  :P.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Question on a detail
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 11:41:03 am »
it's a can opener! LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:55:38 am »
it's a can opener! LOL

Oh, boy, there's a period detail I never noticed before! I remember can openers like that!  ;D

Do you suppose Alma was pretty good with it?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:57:26 am »
Oh, boy, there's a period detail I never noticed before! I remember can openers like that!  ;D

I don't know but Ennis sure seemed to be!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 12:05:04 pm »
it's a can opener! LOL

hunh?  ???

HUNH?  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???

I supposed Lee3 is kidding me, because today I posted the solution for my "What's this?" poll - and the correct answer was: can opener.

Do you really want to tell me this thing is a can opener?  ???

I'm confused.

Are you both kidding me?

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 12:10:39 pm »
It certainly is a can opener, as far as I can see. We had one very like that at home when I was a little girl, main difference it had other colours. Since I'm of an age with Junior, it fits completely that this can opener is in this scene. I've never noticed it before.

The only thing I don't get is the placement of the thing, it should have been mounted so it points out into the room, not parallell with it like we see here. I've no idea how they'd manage to use it like this ???  Perhaps that's intentional. No can opening at the Del Mars, that was Jack's prerogative.....?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 12:27:25 pm »
It certainly is a can opener, as far as I can see. We had one very like that at home when I was a little girl, main difference it had other colours. Since I'm of an age with Junior, it fits completely that this can opener is in this scene. I've never noticed it before.

The only thing I don't get is the placement of the thing, it should have been mounted so it points out into the room, not parallell with it like we see here. I've no idea how they'd manage to use it like this ???  Perhaps that's intentional. No can opening at the Del Mars, that was Jack's prerogative.....?
If it's like the kind my Granny had it swings to get out of the way.
It's got some hinges on it.

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 12:28:36 pm »
Do you really want to tell me this thing is a can opener?  Huh?

I'm confused.

Yes.  See, the idea is that it's hard to hold the opener itself steady while simultaneously holding the can steady and turning the crank.

This way, the opener is mounted — so you hold the can with one hand and turn the crank with the other.

(I remember your recent posts on Jack's clumsy can opening on Lee's thread. Everything ties together here, don't it?    ;))

I agree, it's a great period detail in the set!!!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 02:23:51 pm »
Ok, I believe you  ;D.
But I still don't get it, despite Laura's explantaion.  ???

This thing looks like a simple ring with a net under it. Exactly like a miniature basketball hoop. How can you open cans with it? Ot at least hold cans with it, so you have both hands free for the opener?

I googled "can opener", "vintage can opener" and "can holder". I found something that fits the descriptions of Lee3 and Mikaela. But they look nothing like the thing in Alma's kitchen. Sorry the first pic is so big.

The thing in Alma's kitchen looks like this to me:

I just can't picture how to open or at least hold cans with it. 

Or do I need glasses?  ;) Does the thingie look different?

Sorry to be such a detail-obsessed pain in the you know what... But for the life of me I can not figure it out  ???

BTW: I'm not far from Junior's or Francine's age. But I didn't have grandparents. Maybe that's why   ;)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 02:33:16 pm »
Hee Hee! It may be time for glasses!  :laugh:

On the example photo you posted, the silverpart that says dazey, is red on Almas. the other red thing is hust the knob at the end of the handle also red.
There is no net as far as I can tell (probably would have been a good idea though!).
The blade of the can opener has a little hook to it so you kind of snap the can on then turn the crank abd it opens the can. I think it's also magnitized. Sriously it's been 25,30 yrs since Ihave seen or used an opener like that one! :laugh:

Good Lord, I am old!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 03:17:03 pm »
OMG. I feel sooooo embarrassed. Am I blind? Was I blind for the last year?
Now I *see* it. It's a can opener for sure. And it looks nothing like the thing I have drawn (*blushes deeply*).
No net, and the two red objects belong to the crank handle. I just didn't see the white part of the can opener, I only saw the red horizontal top.

Do you know the kind of pictures/ optical illusions that 'change' after a while, when you stare long enough at them? And suddenly you're not able anymore to see the image you first saw? This is how it feels to me right now.
When I look at the pic now, I'm barely able to see the ring and the net anymore. Now I see the can opener for sure.

Did you all think I'm drunk when I spoke of a basketball hoop and net in my first post?  :laugh:

Only one thing soothes me: I yanked out my DVD, forced my husband to take a close look at the 'thing', showed it to him in slow-motion, paused the DVD. And: he thought it's a water tap! But then he crouched down directly in front of the TV and saw "It's something with a crank handle."

Maybe it's really time for glasses after all  ???

Thank you all for explaining so patiently.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 03:55:46 pm »
Don't be embarrassed!  ;D
Thatt was pretty funny! It allowed me to think back on my Granny's kitchen and my mind wandered to thoughts of my Grandmother who is now gone!
It is hard to tell all the detail from a picture!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 05:19:53 pm »

Ok folks im going to show my age here.  I had one of those can openers when my kids were small. It was by far the best and most durable one I ever had.  I used it for ten years, and finally when we sold the house.. I left it for the next people.  I have been so sad ever since.  I have tried very unsuccessfully to find its equal ever since.
      I has a built in hinge.  You can kind of see it on the close up version.  Its a cut of about half an inch next to the swinging hinge.  It locks it in  or out as the case may me.  the bottom of the frame that attaches to the wall.  You lift the front part up and turn and relock it into place.  Then raise it again to do that in reverse to push it out of the way...
      Hope this helps you to see how it would work... best damn can opener ever...and the whole cutting part  of it can be removed for washing.  Either in the sink or dishwasher.  Mine was white, with yellow trim.  Just like the one in that last picture..  did i say the best damn can opener ever invented....well its worth mentioning again

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 06:47:19 pm »
Janice, have you considered contacting the folks at the Vermont Country Store about finding a can opener like that one? It's amazing the good old fashioned stuff those people are able to locate.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 09:51:32 pm »
Janice, have you considered contacting the folks at the Vermont Country Store about finding a can opener like that one? It's amazing the good old fashioned stuff those people are able to locate.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

Cool Jeff!
Thanks for the link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 10:08:50 pm »
Cool Jeff!
Thanks for the link!

My pleasure!  :D They have a fun catalogue, too!

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 10:27:10 pm »
These were real popular.  The didn't get lost in the drawer.  They folded against the wall when not in use.

The most popular brand was Swing-A-Way.

And they still make and sell them.

http://www.ccrane.com/more-categories/kitchen-accessories/swing-a-way-can-opener.aspx

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 09:10:42 am »
These were real popular.  The didn't get lost in the drawer.  They folded against the wall when not in use.

The most popular brand was Swing-A-Way.

And they still make and sell them.

http://www.ccrane.com/more-categories/kitchen-accessories/swing-a-way-can-opener.aspx

I figured they still had to be around somewhere!  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 10:02:24 am »
Another detail I just love in this photo is the little two-handled blue cup directly in front of Alma. It is so dear not only by itself but in what it represents to me. How wonderful it must have been to be the set decorator (if that's what it's called) on this movie!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 10:38:11 am »
I figured they still had to be around somewhere!  ;D

I still have one!   :laugh:

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 01:21:38 pm »

Thanks people.  I am very happy you found that for me.  I will send for one today..I highly recommend it to everyone..It will make you toss all your old can openers.  Either electric or hand operated ones.  Its for sure the best.  If you are worried that it wont match your fancy decor in your kitchen.  put it inside the cabinet somewhere...

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 01:35:20 pm »
All this can opener talk has got me remembering a very good pencil sharpener that we had in the house where I grew up. It was fastened to the wall above my dad's workbench in the basement. Of course it was a hand-crank pencil sharpener--and it put a better point on a pencil than any electric pencil sharpener I've ever used!  :D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 02:16:30 pm »
 :laugh:

Seems my dumba$$ question was good for some things: I learned something, several people liked details of the pic or wallowed in memories, and Janice will get a new can opener. You never know what will come out of a thread on BetterMost  :laugh:.

(I remember your recent posts on Jack's clumsy can opening on Lee's thread. Everything ties together here, don't it?    ;))

Sure enough  :).

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 02:34:44 pm »
My question is: did Ennis get Alma that can opener so she could fix him some Bettermost Beans, and not make a mess like Jack did?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 02:59:09 pm »
My question is: did Ennis get Alma that can opener so she could fix him some Bettermost Beans, and not make a mess like Jack did?

;D My guess would be the can opener came with the house. He probably bought her the washboard so she wouldn't have to pound the laundry with a stick.  ;D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 03:02:27 pm »
;D My guess would be the can opener came with the house. He probably bought her the washboard so she wouldn't have to pound the laundry with a stick.  ;D
LOL, It's scary how great minds think alike! I thought the exact same thing!  :laugh:

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 07:12:45 pm »
He probably bought her the washboard so she wouldn't have to pound the laundry with a stick.  ;D

Now there's a thoughtful husband for you!    :laugh:

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 08:18:22 pm »
I never noticed the can opener in the kitchen. The next time I watch the movie I am definitely going to look for it.

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.