Author Topic: Lightning Flat-Where is it -- by rickxx  (Read 6618 times)

Offline TrollHammer

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Lightning Flat-Where is it -- by rickxx
« on: June 29, 2007, 11:26:41 pm »
Lighting Flats-Where is it?
  by rickxx   (Wed Sep 6 2006 16:49:16 )

I haven't had a chance to get the book, so I don't know if it tells where Lighting flats is.

I have Found Riverton on the map. The Work office where Jack and Ennis Met is a fictional town, but i did find a Mountain in Wyoming by that name.

I have always assumed Lighting Flats was close by, but havent been able to verify this

Re: Lighting Flats-Where is it?
  by Clyde-B   (Wed Sep 6 2006 17:09:32 )

It's a discontinued post office in Crook county WY.

http://gowyld.net/wyoming/farq.html

by pockethankie   (Wed Sep 6 2006 17:14:46 )

Northeast Wyoming

It's in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped

by BannerHill   (Wed Sep 6 2006 17:36:00 )

I think some one from this board actually went there. He said there is not much left. The time line would make sense though. there was still something left in 1983

by LauraGigs   (Wed Sep 6 2006 17:39:25 )
UPDATED Wed Sep 6 2006 17:54:18

Isn't it Lightning Flat — singular? (not to be a pedant, just for reference's sake . . .)

by Belgianboy   (Wed Sep 6 2006 18:17:07 )

Yes, it is Lightning Flat, singular. I wanted to find out more about it for some fanfic I wrote. It isn't on every map, and as someone else posted, doesn't seem to have much of a population. My 2002 road atlas shows only unpaved roads leading to it! (This is pretty novel for a big-city boy.) It is in northeastern Wyoming, right on the border with Montana. The nearest mentionable town is along I-90, Gillette some 60 miles southwest. There is part of something called the Thunder Basin National Grassland in the Lightning Flat region. Sounds pretty flat, doesn't it?

[1 Post deleted by an administrator & 2 by the poster]

by mooninbalance   (Wed Oct 4 2006 07:39:41 )

But does anyone know where the house is that was used as the old Twist homeplace?
I assume it was near wherever in Canada they did most of the filming.

[1 Post deleted by an administrator]

Lighting Flats and some pics of Sage
  by balrog_ressurected_again   (Sat Oct 7 2006 22:58:28 )

If you pull up mapquest Lightning Flat is easily found. It is right on the Montana border, in the northeast corner. It is very close to the Devils Tower (setting of Close Encounters) and within a short drive of Mt Rushmore.

I've been out there a couple of times but never went into Lightning Flat. Probably an abandoned town now like Sage (Ennis's home)

Here are some pics of Sage - the town where Ennis grew up. It is an abandoned ghost town miles from anywhere. One of the loneliest places you'll ever visit.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v602/Hemond/Sage/

Begone trolls...

Re: Lighting Flats and some pics of Sage
  by mooninbalance   (Sun Oct 8 2006 09:10:20 )

There's a kind of terrifying beauty in such desolation.
God.

[7 Posts deleted by an administrator & 1 by the poster]

Re: Lighting Flats and some pics of Sage
  by Shasta254   (Sun Oct 29 2006 19:24:41 )

Thanks for the picture BalrogRA--Sage--Wyoming, I guess? Man, it is really desolate looking. No wonder Ennis was not comfortable in public. Not much public in Sage.

Map to location of Twist house in Lightnigh Flats
  by balrog_ressurected_again   (Wed Oct 18 2006 16:56:26 )

***But does anyone know where the house is that was used as the old Twist homeplace? ***

Here is a map of the location of the Twist homestead. (and notice that the map says "Lightning Flats"). Scroll down to the 'Take One' map.

http://www1.travelalberta.com/Stories/index.cfm?action=display&storyID=180

Begone trolls...

Twist House - Where is it?
  by balrog_ressurected_again   (Tue Oct 31 2006 19:39:39 )

***But does anyone know where the house is that was used as the old Twist homeplace? ***

This what your mean?

http://www.findingbrokeback.com/Albums/Brokeback_Found/slide_12.jpg

Oh yeah, it looks like the Alberta Travel Bureau has taken down their very nice Brokeback site so I 'm glad I found this other site where all the BbM film locales have been mapped out.

Begone trolls...

[1 Post deleted by the poster]

by shortfic   (Mon Oct 30 2006 18:42:59 )

rickxx, the story briefly mentions the areas where the towns are, but that's about it.
Did you Google Brokenback Peak? It's in the Bighorn Mountains. Take out the "n" and you have......Brokeback. Change Peak to Mountain and you have the story and film title.

"Say thank you, Gilbert. Say thank you."

[1 Post deleted by the poster]

by Dancing_Bear   (Tue Nov 28 2006 23:26:10 )

bump to read later

[12 Posts deleted by an administrator & 1 by the poster]

by iamlaron   (Tue Jan 9 2007 23:46:57 )
UPDATED Tue Jan 9 2007 23:52:51

You know how when you really admire something or someone you look for things you have in common with it/them? Well I kinda did that with this film and the location of lighting flat always reminds me of it. Here goes:

I fell in love with my best friend who's from southwestern Wyoming - not too far from Sage, just over half an hour away. (the film really captures the barren, windy feel of Wyoming along with it's majestic mountain grandeur (Tetons and Uintas). I was born in the southwestern corner of South Dakota, which is very near lightning flat. haha! I'm pathetic sometimes.

More coincidences are -

He's got heath ledger hair (curly/blondish) and mine's more like Jack's (dark/straightish hair).

We've both got small town cowboy roots.

My dad strongly resembles Mr. Twist in a lot of ways.

My buddy has been like Ennis (reserved and terrified of his sexuality) his whole life, but I'm more like Jack, I'm more open to my feelings etc without being flambouyant.

I've been the pursuer.

We're both trying to make it work, meaning having girlfriends we don't really love etc, but we spend the night every once in a while. Camping trips and such. *cough*

(My g/f's whole family lives in Texas.)

But I'm the one who's always had crap jobs to make room for love.

I'm 37.

As you can imagine, this film really hit home with me.

I guess if you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.

*sigh*

by oilgun   (Tue Feb 20 2007 09:38:15 )

Wow, Iamlaron, those are amazing coincidences! I'm sure things will work out better than in the movie(!). Maybe you guys should hook up an arrangement with a couple of lesbians.

Such drama! Are you sure you're not Greek? - Queen Diana (Roar)

[1 Post deleted by an administrator]
TrollHammer
(formerly TrollHammer, OgreMaul, OgMallet, and BruteSmasher; and still GrendelSledge; at IMDb)

my LJ is BbMTrollHammer, my email is [email protected]