Author Topic: "Becoming Jane" New Anne Hathaway Movie  (Read 9857 times)

moremojo

Re: "Becoming Jane" New Anne Hathaway Movie
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 06:29:18 pm »
I'm glad to come across these positive comments. The film received a less-than-enthusiastic write-up in a local paper, which had me worried that the film was fated to soon dissolve into the vast heap of mediocre cinematic fluff.

I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to the theaters for this one, but I am still curious about it. Some critics have stressed the great liberties the filmmakers took in filling in the blanks in Austen and Lefroy's story, but Lefroy did confess near his death (he survived Jane by several decades) that he had indeed loved the young Hampshire woman, though he characterized the love as an effusion of youth. Be that as it may, I find that admission, recorded for us to discover for ourselves over a century later, to be poignant and haunting.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:23:35 pm by moremojo »

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 11:34:06 pm »
I saw Becoming Jane this afternoon (home sick with some virusthing) and virus aside, I really thought it was very good.  I don't really know how closely this followed Jane Austen's actual life, but I thought it poignant and that Anne Hathaway did a really fabulous job at being both a woman trying to stay in her 'place' as dictated by society and one led by her heart out of such strictures.

The turn...SPOILER....

how she actually turns away herself, knowing the sacrifice that her beloved is willing to make on her behalf.  Pure class.  And I thought it most romantic that after she was condemned for her not-quite-elopment, her other suitor stood up for her, not actually wanting to be married for his money as well.  Of course, toward the end when we find out she has a namesake Jane, the tears came in earnest.

Well done, Anne!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 06:26:57 pm »
I acquired this and am glad I did! It could ignite a storm of Austenmania in me! Also lurved the Scot James McEvoy who plays an Irishman in this film. Don't miss it!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"