Author Topic: How do you feel about firecrackers?  (Read 7689 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
How do you feel about firecrackers?
« on: June 30, 2007, 09:12:06 pm »
My vote is for Option 1.  I've always hated them ever since moving to South Florida and living with German shepherds who were extremely sensitive to them.  They would just be nervous wrecks for the two weeks before and after the 4th of July and New Year's Eve every year.  And it made me wonder, what is this need so many people in certain parts of this country have to watch shit blow up?

Thoughts?

No more beans!

injest

Re: How do you feel about firecrackers?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 09:28:14 pm »
I think it is a guy thing...

when I was a girl I thought they were fun but scary...now that I am a mother they are dangerous hazards and should be banned!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 11:08:18 pm »
There was no option for:

"Love 'em, love to have other people spends hundreds of thousands of dollars and take the risk to set them off themselves so I can watch".

OK, that's kind of long, but it's my position.  I've been going to fireworks shows since I was a little kid.  I love 'em.  If my dog didn't like them and he was with me, I'd shut his ears throughout the show.

injest

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:25:44 pm »
LOL! I love the pro shows too, Del...but she is talking about the kind that you buy and set off yourself...

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 11:45:58 pm »
The folks around where I live start setting off fireworks the last week in June. My dogs do not like the popping---mostly firecrackers. And they continue for a couple of days after the 4th. So that's a little annoying--especially since it's against the law in town. But does that stop anyone? Naw.

People set them off in the street by the side of my house---huge exploding showers and reports, etc.--it looked like a war zone at the end of the night last year. I go out in the country where some of my relatives live and set them off. Usually fighting off mosquitoes, our state bird.

When I was a kid, we played army with the firecrackers. Now I like the ones that go up in the air and explode in color.

Sometimes I go to the lake in Heber Springs, AR, where they set them off over the lake---to music. Really pretty! Very Americana.  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 11:54:31 pm »
I went to Beavers Bend one year for the Fourth...the fireworks over the lake WERE spectacular!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 12:54:22 am »
I couldn't care less about them, but my dog HATES them. He cries, howls, barks and shakes when he hears them. All the kids shoot them off in my neighborhood. BIG ONES too. Those M-80s are awful. Someone told me they were equivalent to a tenth of a stick of dynamite.

Someone shot a rocket late last night and it landed on my roof, right next to the bedroom window and blackened the glass.

Come to think of it, I do have feelings about fireworks. I hate them!  >:(

:laugh:  :laugh:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 01:00:46 am »
Poor Cody!! I can sympathize---my dogs don't like it either, but my biggest Yorkie shakes and shakes. I have to hold her and reassure her. Bless their little hearts.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 01:16:23 am »
I couldn't care less about them, but my dog HATES them. He cries, howls, barks and shakes when he hears them. All the kids shoot them off in my neighborhood. BIG ONES too. Those M-80s are awful. Someone told me they were equivalent to a tenth of a stick of dynamite.

Someone shot a rocket late last night and it landed on my roof, right next to the bedroom window and blackened the glass.

Come to think of it, I do have feelings about fireworks. I hate them!  >:(

:laugh:  :laugh:

good lort! you are lucky your house didn't burn down!  >:(

ya'll think DOGS don't like them....you oughta see a herd of cows and horses!!

oh and don't be letting a hot air balloon come over the place! Yii! (cause you know, hot air balloons are the natural predators of ponies....you read about it all the time in the Equine Daily News!  ::) ::) )

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 08:20:00 am »
Yes.  Now imagine trying to console two 90-pound German shepherds as they shake and cry and try to go through a window or wall to get away from them (not realizing they're coming from outside in the first place).  And the idiots across the street set off M-80s every year.  They were quiet, law-abiding, God-fearing Baptists the rest of the year, but boy, come July 4th, all hell broke loose in their front yard.  And no amount of pleasantly asking them to please keep it down to a dull roar would curtail them (they didn't have dogs).

And yeah, they're illegal here, too.  It's legal to sell/buy them, but not to set them off.  How much sense does that make?  Stupid state.

No more beans!