Author Topic: JACK DID IT: What About YOU?  (Read 25305 times)

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
Re: JACK DID IT: What About YOU?
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2006, 03:01:59 am »
TJ, I wasn't pretending to be nice, I was actually trying to find out who you were so that I might understand your point of view more, however considering your reply, and this public display of arrogance, I can promise you that I won't be PMing you again (but once), and I hope you find some enjoyment in life that doesn't involve ramming your opinions down other people's throats!  See you in therapy!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 03:19:02 am by Ray »
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2006, 09:52:57 am »
TJ:

To defend Ray - this site is used by MANY non americans as well as Americans. Therefore people will have to accept/get used to the differences in Lingo. (Bugger does NOT have that connitation in Oz or the UK) Particularly when we are not talking about BBM/Wyoming/1963 specifically - this is a chat up line thread from today!

For instance, there is certain US words that I may find offensive.... but I know which context to take it in.

Ray and Hippo (and then me) were all using the use of the word bugger in an affectionate manner.

Yes and you had to pretend to be nice and send me a PM to patronize me to do it, Ray!

The Brokeback Mountain Story is about Americans and the lingo used in it is related to how we talk here in the USA.

If a person called me a "bugger" in the USA and he did not personally know me or even know me well enough to tease me goodnaturedly and me accept it, it would be the same as calling me a queer, a fag, or a faggot.

Oh and yes, my only real attempt at a flirty line worked in pulling my current beau! I just made an offhand comment about going out in the town he was from more often if there was good looking guys like him going out there!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 11:42:40 am by kelda_shelton »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2006, 10:09:26 am »
Ray and Hippo (and then me) were all using the use of the word bugger in an affectionate manner.

Just gotta luv you Brit and Aussie buggers! ;D

As far as flirting is concerned I certainly belong to those who'd need an instruction manual, but somehow I managed to get married anyway. It sounds pathetic, but alcohol proved to help things along a bit (it also did in Brokeback Mountain, right?). Well, there was that party... :P
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 10:12:01 am by Pipedream »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2006, 08:33:28 pm »
I'm doing the bumping dance.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

TJ

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2006, 08:59:48 pm »
Oh, I know quite well that this group is an international group. It is one thing for a person to merely reply to something I posted and I did give the reason behind it; but, it is something else when the person sends me a Private Message to criticize what I posted in a discussion thread AND the person has to use the forum IDs of other members to support his reason for correcting me.

That's like the "Christian" mothers on an America Online (AOL) Message Bulletin Board discussion who used the slang word, "freaking" as an adjective. One of them said, "Well, everyone's using the word; even my teenagers."

I used the Dictionary provided by AOL's programs to show that the word when used as an adjective was slang for the "F" word which had to do with the act of sexual intercourse. 

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2006, 10:02:05 pm »
The pick up line that worked best for a mate of mine that was a collegue in a cocktail bar was when a customer ordered a Martini.  My friend, in a cheeky, oozing sex kinda way, asked if he would like two olives.  The customer took only a beat to reply with a wicked twinkle, "Only if you can find a bigger glass".  They remain partners eight years later.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2006, 10:15:29 pm »
Great story, Ray! It never fails, whenever someone I know orders a martini, they ask for 3 olives. I wonder why they don't just order an appetizer!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2006, 11:14:23 am »
Sparkle Sparkle,
I bleed for the you of 11 years ago.
I never quite did that, but I did make a college professor abruptly get up, pack his briefcase and leave the classroom out of offense at something I said.  But that was not flirting-related.  And he was a nutcase.  But it was probably the most mortifying thing ever.  I went in a bathroom stall and cried.

I doubt if that many Americans are aware that "bugger" means, or used to mean, someone who pursues anal sex.  I think most people use it lightly on things or people that "bug" them.  Just a guess.

I'm gonna git you, little buggers!  She said to the starlings stamping around in her forget-me-nots, as she aimed the hose....

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2006, 11:23:35 am »
ooh! You've intreigued me now Pie! Tell! Tell!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2006, 05:01:20 pm »
Oh it's long.  How short can I make it?
I took part in a series of  "leadership seminars" in college... brainchild of the dean of student life... not a great idea, or at least not all that well-executed.  Anyway one of them was led by a prof from the philosophy department -- in fact the head of the dept.  I don't remember exactly but I think we were discussing the "philosophical ramifications" of being in a position of hiring and firing employees.  There was some dead horse being beaten -- and in my opinion an irrelevant, moot horse.  I said I thought it was "pointless" to discuss such-and-such further.  Yes, I had grown impatient and bored, and perhaps it was sourpussy or wet-blankety of me. 

Instead of saying something like "well, the majority of the group think it merits further discussion" or "this is just the sort of thing you might have to endure in a boardroom someday, missy, so get used to it!" or any number of things, even sharp-tongued things, he simply said something like "Well, maybe it is pointless, so I guess this discussion is over."  In stunned silence, we watched him pack up his things and leave, twenty minutes into a fifty-minute session.  Two people said things like "don't worry about it -- he's done this kind of thing before" or "it's not your fault."  That helped.  Still, it made me feel like an awful, awful person.  I know I'm not awful; I know I'm compassionate and civil.  So I had a little death of those beliefs.  No, they fell into a coma and awoke eventually.

Aren't ya glad ya asked?

Wanna ask about the time I overslept for my art history final and threw on a bra and ran for my life across the campus, grabbed a blue book and slipped in just in time to see the last thirty seconds of the first slide (a Rembrandt etching), thank God?  Or the time I walked into "Topics in Human Biology" and realized we had an exam, unknown-about, unstudied-for?  Or the time I was drunk and stoned and accidentally sat down on my friend Cerissa's popsicle-stick project?  "My masterpiece!" she wailed, and then a minute later forgot about it.  I say, if you're going to have drunk and stoned people in your dorm, put any popsicle-stick projects on high shelves.