Author Topic: What are your plans for the Fourth of July??  (Read 55497 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What are your plans for the Fourth of July??
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 11:05:27 am »
Light a candle and put on nerdy glasses and pretend to be a small boy?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 09:27:41 am »
The big day is here! You're invited to give us a play-by-play...and for those on the East Coast of the US, come to BetterMost if you need to get out of the storm!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 12:31:21 pm »
Happy Fourth of July everyone!! I'm planting some groundcovers today and then off to buy a ladder and a new "flapper" for my toilet! I hope to have enough energy to stay awake for the fireworks tonight! How are you spending the day/holiday? Would love to hear from global Brokies too!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 12:45:07 pm »
I have my first load of laundry in the dryer even as I type this.  :-\

I need to do some cleaning of the bathroom and kitchen, but I'm procrastinating.  :-\

I want to watch a few old Westerns on DVD.

This evening I will grill a chicken breast for dinner, and for "sides" I have potato salad and baked lima beans. Dessert will be ice cream.  :)

This evening, Turner Classic Movies is showing Yankee Doodle Dandy, from 1942, starring Jimmy Cagney as George M. Cohan. I enjoy that movie because we get to see Cagney as a song-and-dance man, which is how he got his start in show business, before he got into playing gangsters and tough guys. The movie also has lots of fine old songs from the early 20th century that were written by Cohan, such as "You're a Grand Old Flag" and "Give My Regards to Broadway." Songs like that have long been out of fashion, but they're still good songs. I look forward to watching this movie every Independence Day holiday period.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 02:33:10 pm »
And what is Independence Day without "The Stars and Stripes Forever"?

I decided that while I was giving my bathroom and kitchen "a lick and a promise," I would play a CD of John Philip Sousa marches.  ;D

It always amuses me that on this particular CD, the marches are played by the band of the Queen's Grenadier Guards. No hard feelings, I guess.  ;D

Note to Monty Python fans: This collection includes "The Liberty Bell March." I always found it ... quirky ... that a British comedy team would use "The Liberty Bell March" as the theme for its television show.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 03:08:50 pm »
Funny you should mention it, Jeff, coz only the other day did I find out that the Monty Python theme music actually had a name and was a piece of music in it's own right!

I saw it on a Youtube vid, but don't remember which one and what the context was.

I probably would have forgotten all about it again, hadn't you mentioned it  ::)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 05:13:44 pm »
It´s been  real hot day here in Sweden. I took my mum to an annual market and this evening I went to the Movies. I was the only one there - everyone else is probably at the beach.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 11:47:56 pm »
Whew!  I'm tired, but it was  a great day!

Sophia was in NYC for her first Independence Day here. I met her at 10 for a late breakfast at Niles.  Then we went for a walk on the highline, stopped at a Dunkin Donuts (she never had been there) and then walked back to Times Square for dinner.  I took her to Dallas BBQ.  The night prior we had gone to dinner with Meryl and John, and we all told Sophia that July 4th is a huge BBQ day, so we went there so she could have  a traditional BBQ meal.

Sophia had a foot-long grilled hot dog, a side of baked beans, and some corn on the cob.

Went back to her hotel room so she could charge her phone, and I actually took a nap.  :laugh:

At about 5:30 we walked to FDR Drive and stayed there until 9:30, and then the fireworks started, and then we went home.  It was the first time Sophia or I had seen the NYC fireworks in person.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 11:59:34 pm »
Sounds wonderful, Chuck! Thanks for the instant replay!

I drove all around my new neighborhood trying to find a good angle where my mom could see the fireworks without getting out of the car. We found a good vantage point but then there was a lull in the fireworks. So then we went back to her home and we could hear, but not see, the fireworks from there. I excused myself and went home, where I found out I had a good view of the climactic fireworks from my very own deck! Looking in one direction, I saw the fireworks display, looking in another, I saw Venus and Jupiter in close friendship, and in yet another, the antics of teenage boys playing with sparklers in the street. Heavenly!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 01:35:32 am »
Chuck and Sophia, I'm glad you had such a nice day.  I was wondering where you were for the fireworks.  I happened to be on a rooftop down on 9th Street and we had a nice view of the midtown skyscrapers all lit for the occasion plus the fireworks. New York is the greatest for nights like the Fourth.  I'm glad Sophia has been initiated into the mysteries of donuts, hot dogs and corn on the cob, not to mention beans!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...