Author Topic: Attention Drabblers, especially Marie! Funny story  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Attention Drabblers, especially Marie! Funny story
« on: July 05, 2007, 02:21:34 pm »
Hi Drabblers and readers of our drabbles,

on June, 26th, Marie posted the following drabble:

Greens 'n Beans

"It's a scorcher, today, that's fer sure."  Ennis wiped his brow and set his hat on the chair.

"Sure is, Daddy."  Junior smiled up at him as he kissed her cheek.  "Hope you don't mind chicken salad – hate to turn the oven on in this heat, and I've been craving salads lately." She giggled softly to herself.  "I guess these are my 'salad days'." 

Ennis's brow creased slightly, "Uh – what?" 

"Oh, just something I read in a book once.  'Salad days' – kind of like the best days of your life when you're all young and innocent-like – ya know, still kind of green."  She blushed slightly and laughed as she turned to get the plates. 

There was a whisper of a smile on Ennis's face as he watched Junior, and a faraway look in his eyes. "Bean days," he murmured to himself. 

~~~~~~~~
141 words

This story indirectly found it's way to German radio today  ;D

I had never heard the term "salad days" before I read it in Marie's story. Although it's explained in the story, I looked it up in my online dictionary to make sure.

This evening, the topic of the radio show on my favorite station was "stupid lyrics", respectively lyrics that make no sense. Among others, they cited a song by Spandau Ballet (have forgotten which one) with the expression "salad days"  - and made lots of fun of it. Ha ha  ;D.

Next thing, I was at my computer and wrote an email that there's no reason for them to make fun of it, because the expression really exists. I'm usually not the type who writes letters to the editor or things like that. I've never done this before. But in this show, they interact with their listeners and have a special email adress which sends the emails directly to the studio.

A few minutes later the DJ read out my email live on the air  :laugh:.

I didn't refer to Marie's story in my email, therefore it found its way to German Radio only indirectly. But I found it funny anyway and thought I'd share it with you.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Attention Drabblers, especially Marie! Funny story
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 03:08:48 pm »

Well Chrissi.  It is just one more thing to show, how small a world we
live in.  Im sure Marie will be thrilled, her line found its way around the world...We Brokies have had a hand in making it smaller yet.........yeah for bbm!!!

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 03:36:10 pm »
Great story Chrissie, how cool, to have your email read on the radio. ;D

I am sure Marie will love it,
Congrats for being semi famous now, (well sort of :))

Thanks for sharing,

Marl

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 04:24:49 pm »
Great story, Chrissi...thanks for sharing!

Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 04:28:56 pm »
Chrissi, thanks so much for sharing that.  Yes, I am thrilled and I do love it!   :laugh: :laugh: 

Janice said that beautifully - I love the idea of Brokies making the world a smaller place! 

It's funny - I discovered the phrase "salad days" the same way Junior did (and the same way I've learned so many, many things) - in a book, and for some reason I always liked the way it sounded and it stuck with me.

Thanks for the smile!  :D

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 12:02:05 pm »
Okay, I am such a minutiae-obsessed nerd - I had to find out which song had the "salad days" lyrics!   :-\   :laugh:

Here they are:

Gold Lyrics
Artist: Spandau Ballet
Album: Gold

Thank you for coming home
I'm sorry that the chairs are all worn
I left them here I could have sworn
These are my salad days
Slowly being eaten away

Just another play for today
Oh, but I'm proud of you, but I'm proud of you
Nothing left to make me feel small
Luck has left me standing so tall

Chorus:

Gold (gold)
Always believe in your soul
You've got the power to know
You're indestructible
Always believe in, that you are
Gold (gold)
Glad that you're bound to return
There's something I could have learned
You're indestructible, always believe in...

And, yeah, Chrissi - once you understand the "salad days" reference, those lyrics are really good! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain