Author Topic: At what points during the film did you lose it?  (Read 5202 times)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
At what points during the film did you lose it?
« on: July 05, 2007, 03:35:30 pm »
      My friend S. started crying during the shirts scene.   
I lost it at "Jack, I swear..."

When did you go to pieces?
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

moremojo

Re: At what points during the film did you lose it?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 03:42:17 pm »
I started tearing up when Ennis found the shirts. I didn't actually lose it on that first viewing, though, despite the fact that I had stinging tears in my eyes when the film ended. I lost it a few hours later, when I was lying in bed and thinking about what I had just experienced. Now, everytime I watch the film to the end, I cry after that closing shot fades out, as if I were seeing it for the first time.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 03:54:23 pm »
I started loosing it at the trail head parking lot scene when they had their argument, and when the postcard came back, everyone is the place started crying.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline malina

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 09:00:46 pm »
The look on Jack's face right after the flashback, when he's watching Ennis drive away.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:56:13 pm »
I also felt so bad for Jack after he drove away from Ennis after finding out that the divorce did not mean Ennis would settle down with him.   
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Ally-at-BetterMost

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Don't be afraid of what your mind conceives
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 09:12:48 am »
Yeah that made me lose it as well... :'( I am still too afraid to watch the movie again, I think I'm going to cry all the time then!
Shadows and Taaaallll Trees
Another Time Another Place
I Will Follow

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 12:13:24 pm »

When the song "he was a friend of mine played"  I still lose it when hearing that song sometimes. 

Beautiful mind

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:43:41 pm »
I didn't lose it at all for a long time. Was deeply affected, but didn't lose it, until the 3rd or 4th viewing in the theatre.

Nowadays (& I'm talking about in the past 6 months or more), I start 'losing it' soon after "There's somethin I been meanin ta tell ya, bud." That entire scene next to the trucks (before the dozy embrace) is such a laying-down-the-cards-on-the table scene that is so powerful and goes on and hurts and goes on more and hust more, and on again ... hurts a lot. Most extraordinary dialogue

And of course it's all set up with "You know what? ............................very long - very effective pause.......................................... Sometimes I miss you so much I can't stand it"

(Sorry if I'm quoting wrongly ... I'm staying away from the movie & book fasting until the Alberta pilgrimage)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 09:54:01 am »
In my first viewing of BBM in the theatre I think I lost it when Ennis discovered the shirts.

But, my now-normal routine is to lose it during the flashback (and then often again in the Lightning Flat and trailer scenes).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 06:28:23 pm »
My first few viewings, I started tearing up when the music started at the end of the Lake scene as Ennis started crying.  Then of course, when he found the shirts, and the ending.

But I was surprised to find that in later viewings, one of the most emotional moments for me was when Ennis fought the truck driver after running away from Alma at Thanksgiving.  That last shot of him enduring the kicks of the trucker brought home to me all the pain that Ennis suffered on a daily basis because of his love, his fear, and his self-loathing, and my heart just went out to him.
Ich bin ein Brokie...