Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3175599 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #4960 on: April 15, 2010, 09:31:21 pm »

11 E. 30th St., New York, NY 10016 or,
possible second location: 1237 1st Avenue New York, NY 10065
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/ravagh-persian-grill02/
http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/ravagh-2/menu

Between courses at the Ravagh Persian Grill in Manhattan (his choice)....

Walt Disney Pictures' and Jerry Bruckheimer Films' Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time to be Released to International IMAX(R) Theatres On May 28, 2010

I have to say--Meryl?--where was it that Jake--remember?--gave us that recommendation for a restaurant when we go to see his latest movie--

::)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4961 on: April 16, 2010, 09:34:59 am »

From Jake Is Huge  by Chris Heath, GQ  Magazine, May 2010, page 110:

Between courses at the Ravagh Persian Grill in Manhattan....(continues)

"--people asked me many times though the experience of Brokeback Mountain  what that was like. And the best way I can describe it is what we all carry with ourselves from that experience, and why we feel so close. Forget all the awards that come, with people kind of adorning each other--it wasn't about that. There was something magical in that time. We all slept in our trailers out by a trailer park the first month of making that movie. I was sleeping next to Ang's trailer; Ang's trailer was next to Heath and Michelle's trailer--they'd kind of moved in together. And Michael Hausman, the producer, brought his Airstream trailer down. And it was just us, by this river, for a month. And we would walk to set, and we would eat together, and we would all make coffee in the morning, and I would wake up in the morning and there would be Ang Lee doing Tai Chi outside of my trailer, and it was just magical. It was just magical."

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4962 on: April 16, 2010, 10:52:02 am »
I have to say--Meryl?--where was it that Jake--remember?--gave us that recommendation for a restaurant when we go to see his latest movie--

::)

I'm glad you reminded me, John!  Sounds like a date to me.  ;D

"--people asked me many times though the experience of Brokeback Mountain  what that was like. And the best way I can describe it is what we all carry with ourselves from that experience, and why we feel so close. Forget all the awards that come, with people kind of adorning each other--it wasn't about that. There was something magical in that time. We all slept in our trailers out by a trailer park the first month of making that movie. I was sleeping next to Ang's trailer; Ang's trailer was next to Heath and Michelle's trailer--they'd kind of moved in together. And Michael Hausman, the producer, brought his Airstream trailer down.  And it was just us, by this river, for a month. And we would walk to set, and we would eat together, and we would all make coffee in the morning, and I would wake up in the morning and there would be Ang Lee doing Tai Chi outside of my trailer, and it was just magical. It was just magical."

Guhhh.... :P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:50:43 am by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4963 on: April 16, 2010, 11:31:51 am »

Wow!  Thanks for posting all these photos and new info/ interviews, etc.  All very interesting.  It's curious to see that Jake (lol, I just typed "Jack" by accident there... I often type "Jack" by mistake when posting about Jake) seems more and more apt to talk about BBM these days. 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4964 on: April 16, 2010, 01:35:19 pm »
I think Jake's "magical" would be my "surreal" in that particular instance.

But I realize it just feels of balm for me to finally - finally - hear Jake actually mentioning Brokeback again and his memories from that time.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4965 on: April 16, 2010, 01:47:44 pm »
Maybe he needed some distance to it all.

It feels really good to hear about it all in his own words.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4966 on: April 16, 2010, 02:34:44 pm »
I think Jake's "magical" would be my "surreal" in that particular instance.

But I realize it just feels of balm for me to finally - finally - hear Jake actually mentioning Brokeback again and his memories from that time.

I take his use of the word "magical" there to be a very positive thing.  It sounds like the whole, overall experience must have been quite profound.  It seems pretty clear that the experience of BBM went above and beyond the experience of a typical movie role.

Yes, it really is nice hearing him try to work through some of these memories.  It makes me understand better why he's been quiet for so long... it seems like he's still processing the BBM experience in addition to the additional situtation of the loss of Heath.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4967 on: April 16, 2010, 05:58:36 pm »

From Jake Is Huge  by Chris Heath, GQ  Magazine, May 2010, page 110:

Between courses at the Ravagh Persian Grill in Manhattan....(continues)

To promote the movie, the cast appeared together on Oprah.  For the first half of the show, it was just Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger fending off Winfrey's enthusiasm and curiosity. There is a sheen cast over the movie now--to some extent because of its subject matter but mostly because of Ledger's death--that leaves it and anything connected to it frozen, untouchable. So rewatching the two actors on Oprah,  I was surprised to see Gyllenhaal alluding to times that the two of them didn't get on during the filming. Gyllenhaal seems surprised, too, when I mention this, as if he wasn't aware this was something he'd shared. But he remembers. The scene with the two of them by the river, for instance.

"Where Heath's character goes into how his father knew of two guys who lived together and he ended up seeing them killed and dead. I had always read it in a certain way. I heard it in my mind a certain way. And I had worked with these two incredible actors like Dustin Hoffman and Susan Sarandon. When I worked with Dustin, he would always do things to me; in between a take, he would stop his lines, and he would be like, 'You're a wonderful person,' or horrible things sometimes to jar me...getting a different response. And so I decided in this scene to gather the gumption"--this was when Ledger's part of the scene was being filmed and Gyllenhaal was off-camera--"and I don't subscribe to this really, changing lines on an actor, because I don't think I'm Dustin Hoffman, and I don't think I have the ability or the talent to do that to somebody. But I do think that changing intention sometimes on an actor when you're doing a scene when you're not on-camera is really interesting for them. But I did it at one point in this one scene, and I'd always heard it a certain way, so I was almost trying to move the scene to that place for him. He delivered the whole thing very, very straight, and he could feel me trying to do that, and I remember him turning to Ang at the end of it and going, 'If he wants to tell me what to do, have him tell you.'...We had these kind of exchanges,
5 you know. But ultimately, the way I look at it was I was wrong, because he was brilliant. But at the same time I think, "Well, if I hadn't, would it have gone a certain way?" We balanced each other out. When I think about these things that happened then, we were very much alive in that movie. We were really living that movie. Not literally, but you think about those times in your life..."

[5]
One thing Gyllenhaal would do--feeding off the way Ledger had chosen to play the part of Ennis quietly, his teeth clenched--was to ask him in character, "What? What'd you say?"
"Stupid me," Gyllenhaal comments now.

"Camping Out"

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #4968 on: April 17, 2010, 07:05:40 am »
Thank you John! The whole BbM experience has meant a lot to Jake.
BbM, I swear

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4969 on: April 17, 2010, 11:53:56 am »
I can see Jake's point of view, because he could have imagined Ennis relating the story with crystal clarity, in contrast to his usual mumbling. It would have made the scene stand out more. But now, it's hard to imagine that scene any other way, and it fits with Ang Lee's usual subtle filmmaking.
"chewing gum and duct tape"