Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3164462 times)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #5410 on: July 13, 2011, 01:27:05 am »
I thought it was outstanding. I was rooting for Jake the whole time and it was very cool to see him out of his element so to speak, but fully on board for the ride of his life.

Re: the joke about Brokeback... Bear said, laughing, as they made the snow cave they would sleep in, "this reminds me of a couple of scenes from Brokeback," and Jake replied emphatically, "I hope not!" or"it better not!" Given that they had just finally gotten punchy and relaxed after a day fighting a blinding blizzard of horizontal hail, I could enjoy the humor. But technically, this could easily be seen as a homophobic response. But maybe he also said it based on how hard it was to film the tent scenes in certain aspects like technical things; who knows.

Overall though, brilliant television and great job to Jake for facing down his fears. Massive!
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #5411 on: July 13, 2011, 01:38:28 am »
I´m watching it right now. Go Jake!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5412 on: July 13, 2011, 07:43:41 am »
I thought it was outstanding. I was rooting for Jake the whole time and it was very cool to see him out of his element so to speak, but fully on board for the ride of his life.

Re: the joke about Brokeback... Bear said, laughing, as they made the snow cave they would sleep in, "this reminds me of a couple of scenes from Brokeback," and Jake replied emphatically, "I hope not!" or"it better not!" Given that they had just finally gotten punchy and relaxed after a day fighting a blinding blizzard of horizontal hail, I could enjoy the humor. But technically, this could easily be seen as a homophobic response. But maybe he also said it based on how hard it was to film the tent scenes in certain aspects like technical things; who knows.

Overall though, brilliant television and great job to Jake for facing down his fears. Massive!

Technically, I suppose.  Or it could be the knee-jerk response of someone who doesn't want to be approached sexually.  Got to give Jake kudos.  Even Bear was impressed that Jake never lost his sense of humor, was considerate to everyone on the shoot, was up for anything and man, for someone afraid of heights...I don't know how he did it.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #5413 on: July 13, 2011, 08:21:41 am »
Hey, Delalluvia! Yes, I agree and like your point about Jake's personal response to the joke. It made sense to me in the moment; in retrospect I started to wonder how it *could* be seen. Our culture's acceptance of homophobic joking juxtaposed with the growing sensitivity to it makes for a tricky balance. But I give Jake the benefit of the doubt here. And as I said, was totally impressed by his attitude and skills in the whole thing. Go Jake! 
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5414 on: July 13, 2011, 02:48:39 pm »
Hey, Delalluvia! Yes, I agree and like your point about Jake's personal response to the joke. It made sense to me in the moment; in retrospect I started to wonder how it *could* be seen. Our culture's acceptance of homophobic joking juxtaposed with the growing sensitivity to it makes for a tricky balance.

Yes and add to that the exasperation he must feel.  Jeez, it's been over 5 years now, enough with the jokes!  I can imagine the jokes have already become very old for him, but he may be forced to grin and bear them for the rest of his career.  So, if he has a lapse here and there, I'm not going to hold it against him.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #5415 on: July 13, 2011, 03:50:33 pm »
Yes and add to that the exasperation he must feel.  Jeez, it's been over 5 years now, enough with the jokes!  I can imagine the jokes have already become very old for him, but he may be forced to grin and bear them for the rest of his career.  So, if he has a lapse here and there, I'm not going to hold it against him.

Agreed, and it's been just over 7 years since it was filmed in early 2004.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5416 on: July 13, 2011, 09:33:11 pm »
Agreed, and it's been just over 7 years since it was filmed in early 2004.

Well, look what the wind blew in!  Hi, Jenny!  8)

Jake will always get Brokeback jokes, just like Elijah Wood and Daniel Radcliffe will always be greeted as Frodo and Harry Potter.  Goes with the territory.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5417 on: July 14, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »
from Belfast Telegraph today:

Gyllenhaal on scene of shooting

Thursday, 14 July 2011

Jake Gyllenhaal was on the scene of a shooting

Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena got a front row seat to LA gang violence.
The actors, who were riding along with police on patrol in South LA, were on the scene of a gang shooting late on Wednesday.

The pair are researching police work for their roles in the forthcoming movie End Of Watch.

Sgt Angela McGee says a gang member shot a rival, who is hospitalised with a grazing bullet wounds above his lip and on an arm. Two suspects walked away and there are no arrests.

She says the actors were on patrol with 77th Street Station officers. KTTV Fox 11 video shows the actors talking while officers investigate nearby.

End Of Watch is a drama that focuses on the partnership of two police officers.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/gyllenhaal-on-scene-of-shooting-16023338.html#ixzz1S6rIfWxe
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #5418 on: July 18, 2011, 02:19:06 pm »
When asked about his last name recently, Jake replied that it was Swedish. For some reason, I'd always thought it was Dutch.

So does  anybody know if it's still a fairly common last name in Sweden or not? And can it be translated into something like "the Hall of the ?" ?

Also, does anybody know when his family first left Sweden for the Untied States?

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #5419 on: July 18, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »
When asked about his last name recently, Jake replied that it was Swedish. For some reason, I'd always thought it was Dutch.

So does  anybody know if it's still a fairly common last name in Sweden or not? And can it be translated into something like "the Hall of the ?" ?

Also, does anybody know when his family first left Sweden for the Untied States?

Gyllenhaal is not a common name in Sweden.

The Gyllenhaals are a noble dynasti, the name is exclusive to them.

I believe it was Jake's great grandfather (or maybe great great) who emigrated to the States.

So now there are two branches of the family, one here and one in the States.

The other day I heard one of them mentioned on the radio, Lars Gyllenhaal, a historian.

Gyllen means golden. The word haal is not in use any more, I don't know what it meant back in the day.

I think there is a website over the Gyllenhaal dynasti, maybe it's explained there what the name means.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre