Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3178407 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #2700 on: April 01, 2007, 05:37:13 pm »
Our April Fool

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2701 on: April 04, 2007, 01:06:10 pm »
I have to make a change to my post for clarification.  The change is incorporated below, but here it is:  I was talking about complaining to the gossip sites that buy or take the pics, such as Splash News, x17, WENN, etc etc.  I was not suggesting to target the fan sites.  I think most of you knew that, right?

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR JAKE'S SAKE

I don't think I am the only one who is sad for Jakey that he is being hounded continually by the paps.  He's clearly unhappy (even depressed) in the pics, and I am very unhappy for him.  It looks like he is stuck with this GDBOAUS and I had the idea that if all of his fans who feel bad for him banded together maybe we could effect a change.  I dunno, but it's worth a try.

First of all, for all the paps and pap pics that are snapped of him, only a fraction ever get posted online, and thankfully Jakey has not been in the tabs up until now.  At least not that I have seen (yet!).  So what is the point of all this picture-taking?  That I don't get.....

Ok, here's the idea:  At all the gossip websites that post intrusive pics of Jake, such as Splash News, x17, WENN, etc etc. excluding the fan sites:  IHeartJake, Jake Watch, Dave Cullen, EnnisJack, BetterMost and any other fan site.  As many of us as will:  post a comment to the effect that you object to the pic, why don't you leave Jake alone, this is harassment, I hope you get sued, etc etc etc., whatever comes to mind.  I saw this yesterday at a site, x17 I think it was, and I added my 2 cents.  If we bombard these sites with these kinds of comments, maybe it would make a diff?  It can't hurt to try......

That's it.  I hope a lot of you come on board!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:32:06 pm by welliwont »
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #2702 on: April 04, 2007, 01:23:34 pm »
I saw this yesterday at a site, x17 I think it was . . .

If you are very specific about the sites (and especially if you provide clickable links) that will be helpful, I think. (For many of these sites hit count is critical, so if you visit them without protesting in some way, you're only helping them.)

You have to admit — we're all in a peculiar place on this issue, ethically.  Many of the pics on this thread that we drool at (me included) and even crop or draw arrows to point out hot spots (<— a bit squicky IMO!) are paparazzi shots.

I don't purchase the piece 'o crap rags that print them, but still — I'm probably guilty on some level of being part of the masses at which the pap shots are aimed.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2703 on: April 04, 2007, 01:52:29 pm »
Yes, Janey, if you could post links to (or at least the names of) the offending sites, I/we would be much obliged.  I'm with you though in that it makes me sad whenever I do see the kind of photo of which you speak - the kind in which he is obviously distressed.  I've said many times here before that I don't think famous people owe us *anything* except perhaps the best work they can do at the time whenever they're filming movies/onstage/recording music/performing, etc.  After that, their time is THEIR OWN.  I'd be more than happy to go bitch at any site that crosses the line where posting those kinds of distressing/distressed photos are concerned.

Sure, we've drooled over some pap shots here, but generally they've been of the Jake-doesn't-appear-to-mind variety.  To me, to make public in any way any photo in which the subject clearly didn't want the picture to be taken in the first place is just plain wrong and it pisses me off.  I guess that last bit goes without saying.
No more beans!

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2704 on: April 04, 2007, 01:58:19 pm »
yep, you are right Laura and Barb!  I will collect the webby addresses and post links to them here, or on a new thread.  This campaign idea just came to me this morning, but I have gone to most of the Jake sites and posted the same announcement already.  This campaign needs lots of people.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2705 on: April 04, 2007, 03:03:09 pm »

I am going to be posting links as I find them....

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/04/04/jake-gyllenhaal-arm-muscles/

Please go to this site and voice your objections to the pap pics of Jake, thanks!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2706 on: April 04, 2007, 04:08:52 pm »
Take THAT, JustJared.   :P  >:(

Thanks, Jane.
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #2707 on: April 04, 2007, 04:21:15 pm »
I am going to be posting links as I find them....

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/04/04/jake-gyllenhaal-arm-muscles/

Please go to this site and voice your objections to the pap pics of Jake, thanks!

I see your point and I agree that actors suffer too much harrasment from the media. What happened to Maggie was pretty horrible. However, on the other hand they need that attention to get roles. Talent is not enough. Popularity plays a big part in it. The more popular they are, the more likely they'll be considered for movie roles. That's the reason why talentless whores like Paris Hilton get to act in movies. And that's also why sometimes they smile to the paps cameras. And Jake knows that. And compared to the amount of attention other actors get, his life is pretty private. I wouldn't worry about him. He knows how to handle unwanted attention from the media. 
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2708 on: April 04, 2007, 04:24:18 pm »
  Well yet again, I find myself in the minority on an issue here...I personally love Jake, as much as any of you.. I dont wish to see one little hair on his beautiful, chinny chin chin harmed...However having said that.  I wish to say, I am very much against censorship...I dont like to be told, what i can see, or what i can say...
I am of the firm  belief, that it is a slippery slope to the voice of the people, being styffled.
   I dont and cant personally take part in anything that would help that to happen...
   I do however believe they should have reasonable guidelines as to how to conduct theselves...A distance of 6 ft or more. and no going onto the private property, or helicopter photos into back yards, etc....
   I have had this discussion before. With people on this forum.  And as much as I
hate to see this lovely man hounded by this behavior...I am afraid he has to deal in what ever way he needs to do...Be it a body guard, or whatever....But I do not feel that censorship is any way to handle that...  So I will respectfully decline to
do that...

Beautiful mind

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2709 on: April 04, 2007, 04:47:35 pm »
I don't think asking someone to stop taking/posting photos that are obviously an invasion of someone's privacy is censorship.  I agree with you, though, that telling people what they should and shouldn't look at on the internet is a form of censorship.

While I'm sure Jake is a big boy and can handle these assholes just fine, it pains me to see any of these folks who obviously don't want it being hounded by them.  And I disagree that that's part of his job.  Good for him for generally being quite gracious about it all, but I sure as hell wouldn't be if I were him.

I'll say it again - I believe that people like him owe us NOTHING but the best performance they can give at any given time that they are in some way purposely performing for us or publicizing a performance.  I don't believe giving up the personal freedoms the rest of us enjoy should be a price they have to pay for being famous.  Yes, they get paid a lot, but so do neurosurgeons and some types of attorneys - because people are willing to pay them a lot for their talents and skills.  Doesn't mean they owe us their souls.
No more beans!