Author Topic: An interpolation, with love  (Read 4625 times)

moremojo

An interpolation, with love
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:25:19 pm »
Howdy, y'all--

Unlike so many of our amazing writers here, I'm not very gifted in the composition of fiction, but I did recover this old post that I submitted on the IMDb board for BBM back in March that might qualify for inclusion in this forum. It dates from March 29, 2006, and was a response to the OP's invitation to cite examples of all our various random thoughts generated by the film. Here is what I wrote, in a post originally entitled 'Re: Brokeback Randomness-All Your Random BBM Thoughts Here':

I have a friend, who is a major BBM fan, who also lives on a Del Mar Avenue, though not in Downey.

As for random BBM thoughts of late, I find myself trying to fill in the blanks, so to speak, of all that we don't get to see or learn about, much along the lines of your Alma-related musings. For example, at the lakeside quarrel, I wonder what exactly was spoken between Jack and Ennis in the moments between Ennis's breakdown and the shot in which we see Jack watching Ennis drive away. I identify with Jack a lot in how Jack shows love to Ennis, and I imagine what I might have done here: I would have continued to comfort Ennis, drying his tears and kissing him, and reassuring him that everything was still okay. As he composed himself, I would have said something like, "There's my cowboy. Listen, we're gonna have ourselves a grand old time in November. Don't worry--I'll be there. And I promise, no more trips to Mexico...you're the only man in my life, friend. You take care of yourself and your little girls, and just remember I'll be thinking of you in the meantime. I know you gotta get going, but we'll see each other soon. Oh...and friend--God bless you."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: An interpolation, with love
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:15:44 pm »
Jack would certainly would have done what he could to torque things back to where they had been. He looks genuinely pained when he realizes how much his words have hurt Ennis. Ever given any thought to Ennis's response?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 10:27:39 pm »
Ever given any thought to Ennis's response?
I haven't yet, and I think this is because I am so ardently drawn to Ennis in this scene--his vulnerability, his emotional release stirs up some nurturing, protective streak in me, so that I can more easily put myself in Jack's position here than in Ennis's. I remember posting on TOB somewhere, words to the effect of "how I wish I could have provided the shoulder for that cowboy to cry on."

I do think that Ennis's breakdown must have shaken Jack quite a bit; he probably had never seen Ennis this way, and no doubt felt very alarmed for his well-being. Whatever was said had to be reassuring enough to get Ennis to calm down so that he could go on his way, and to be secure enough in the relationship to send that last postcard. We can be sure, sadly, of something that was not said, by either of the men: "I love you."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:12:18 pm »
We can be sure, sadly, of something that was not said, by either of the men: "I love you."

With deep regret, I've got to agree with you there.  :'(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 05:47:55 pm »
I always feed robbed of the last few moments of Jack and Ennis together as well and found your fillin heartfelt. I would have even settled for them picking each other up, walking arm and arm to Ennises truck, Jack giving Ennis a kiss "I will see you in November then...." After the door closes on the truck, then go into the flashback.

The look on Jack face to me expresses sadness that this may be the only way he may ever have Ennis and acceptence of things as they are and always have been.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 06:00:46 pm »

The look on Jack face to me expresses sadness that this may be the only way he may ever have Ennis and acceptence of things as they are and always have been.
I do think there is sadness in Jack's face here, but also anger. Even during the moments he is comforting Ennis, his anger does not entirely dissipate ("Damn you, Ennis!"). He is certainly unhappy in that final screen glimpse we see of him, and there is nothing in his mien to suggest the tenderness of his look in the flashback sequence (a deliberate contrast, to be sure). I do get the impression that Jack realizes here that Ennis is unlikely to ever change, but I also have the fearful sense that we may see a glimmer of resolve here to leave Ennis, knowing that Ennis cannot fulfil him in the way he really desires. It saddens me greatly to think of Jack quitting Ennis, but I think one can argue that his facial expression alone intimates this possibility (without even invoking Mr. Twist's story of Jack's relationship with the foreman).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 11:40:19 pm »
I do think there is sadness in Jack's face here, but also anger. Even during the moments he is comforting Ennis, his anger does not entirely dissipate ("Damn you, Ennis!"). He is certainly unhappy in that final screen glimpse we see of him, and there is nothing in his mien to suggest the tenderness of his look in the flashback sequence (a deliberate contrast, to be sure). I do get the impression that Jack realizes here that Ennis is unlikely to ever change, but I also have the fearful sense that we may see a glimmer of resolve here to leave Ennis, knowing that Ennis cannot fulfil him in the way he really desires. It saddens me greatly to think of Jack quitting Ennis, but I think one can argue that his facial expression alone intimates this possibility (without even invoking Mr. Twist's story of Jack's relationship with the foreman).

A long time ago back at IMDb some of us had a discussion on this very topic, the look on Jack's face as he watches Ennis drive away, and I, for one, sorrowfully came to the conclusion that it does, indeed, indicate a resolution that he needs to move on because Ennis is never going to change. Jack then goes up to Lightning Flat, just as he told Ennis he was going to do, and this is when he starts talking to his parents about the "ranch neighbor down in Texas," presumably Randall. Then Jack goes back to Texas and, one way or another, dies before he can try to put this new plan into action.

It's this understanding that informs the conversation between Ennis and Jack that I wrote in "Some Sweet Life," where I have Ennis ask Jack about this business of the "ranch neighbor."

moremojo

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 06:43:56 pm »

It's this understanding that informs the conversation between Ennis and Jack that I wrote in "Some Sweet Life," where I have Ennis ask Jack about this business of the "ranch neighbor."
That is such a beautiful story, Jeff, and is actually the first fanfic I encountered. You conveyed there how Jack didn't stop loving Ennis, despite his resolution to move on, and also indicated how Jack even came to regret his action.

Ya know, I think we can be pretty certain that Jack never did stop loving Ennis, for the simple fact that he wished his ashes to be scattered on Brokeback Mountain. If he only harbored bitterness and rancor towards his Wyoming cowboy, he would surely have informed Lureen of a change of plans before his death (note also how he preserved the shirts in the Lightning Flat closet even after the final quarrel). He knew that Ennis was the love of his life, and Brokeback Mountain would forever be the scene of his greatest happiness.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 10:45:50 pm »
That is such a beautiful story, Jeff, and is actually the first fanfic I encountered. You conveyed there how Jack didn't stop loving Ennis, despite his resolution to move on, and also indicated how Jack even came to regret his action.

Ya know, I think we can be pretty certain that Jack never did stop loving Ennis, for the simple fact that he wished his ashes to be scattered on Brokeback Mountain. If he only harbored bitterness and rancor towards his Wyoming cowboy, he would surely have informed Lureen of a change of plans before his death (note also how he preserved the shirts in the Lightning Flat closet even after the final quarrel). He knew that Ennis was the love of his life, and Brokeback Mountain would forever be the scene of his greatest happiness.

Absolutely, I agree with you, "hunderd percent," that Jack never stopped loving Ennis. He would have had an opportunity to get rid of the shirts on his final visit to his folks after the confrontation with Ennis, but he didn't.

And thank you very much for your kind comment about "Some Sweet Life." That's the story that's closest to my own heart because it's how I gave myself some closure after from film.