Author Topic: Movie: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry  (Read 19024 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Movie: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
« on: July 13, 2007, 04:42:55 pm »

Heard of the movie?

Synopsis (from Hollywood.com) :
Chuck Levine and Larry Valentine are the pride of their fire station: two guy''s guys always side-by-side and willing to do anything for each other. Salt-of-the-earth widower Larry wants just one thing: to protect his family. His buddy Chuck also wants one thing: to enjoy the single life. Grateful Chuck owes Larry for saving his life in a fire, and Larry calls in that favor big time when civic red tape prevents him from naming his own two kids as his life insurance beneficiaries. All that Chuck has to do is claim to be Larry''s domestic partner on some city forms. Easy. Nobody will ever know. But when an overzealous, spot-checking bureaucrat becomes suspicious, the new couple''s arrangement becomes a citywide issue and goes from confidential to front-page news. Forced to improvise as love-struck newlyweds, Chuck and Larry must now fumble through a hilarious charade of domestic bliss under one roof. After surviving their mandatory honeymoon and dodging the threat of exposure, the well-intentioned con men discover that sticking together in your time of need is what truly makes a family.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I checked out the IMDB site for the film and some people there are offended by the whole idea, some into it, etc.
Although you can't judge a film before it comes out..

I am curious, anyone heard about it & who is going to go check it out?   :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Movie: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 05:32:06 pm »
I haven't heard about this movie Milli, which surprises me since it is to be released in about a week. It sounds like a cute movie. I'm heading over to IMDb right now to see what people are saying about it. Thanks for telling us Milli!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 05:47:29 pm »

I saw the previews in the theatre when we went to see Harry Potter, and it looked kind of cute.  But I hope its not simply vapid.  It is a funny premise.  Two guys that have to prove they are really gay and married.  But we shall have to wait and see if its just another missed chance.

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 05:57:55 pm »
I just read this on a blog over on rottentomatoes.com:

It's 7-13-2007 and still no reviews of this film. I don't see this as a good sign. Various publications have deadlines to meet. Allowing a film to be reviewed in advance (e.g. more than one week ahead of the premier date) seems to be the industry standard.

I am going out on a limb here and predict this will be one of the worst reviewed films of the year.

Someone else said:

With Dennis Dugan at the director's helm, this flick will surely be crap.

Please realize these are just personal opinions, nothing official at all!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:11:43 pm »
Please realize these are just personal opinions, nothing official at all!

L

Oh I know ... to each his own, I guess.. :)

Just like it still baffles me when I read some IMDB posters going on about "movies like Brokeback being offensive to gay people.."
oh well.. to each his own..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 03:05:18 am »

Just like it still baffles me when I read some IMDB posters going on about "movies like Brokeback being offensive to gay people.."

People are saying Brokeback Mountain is offensive to gay people?

That doesn't make any sense, does it?  ???

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 07:29:02 am »
People are saying Brokeback Mountain is offensive to gay people?

That doesn't make any sense, does it?  ???

well you remember there was that whole thing about why didn't they use gay actors??

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 09:54:25 am »

Some friends of mine here in Sydney (a gay couple, and a single gay guy), had some pretty negative, bitchy things to say about BbM. Basically, the gist of their criticism was that Jack and Ennis were not gay people. They claimed they were bisexual. They also commented about them being "too butch" and made other such negative comments. They knew I was besotted with the movie and had seen it many times, so a lot of their comments could be put down to good ol' fashioned teasing, I guess. But I got the impression there was more to it than that. When I questioned them further, it turned out that two of them hadn't even actually seen BbM - just heard about it and seen the trailer. I asked them how they could comment on a movie they hadn't even seen and they replied with some pretty awful comments about why they didn't want to see it, centred around BbM being non-representative of real gay people. This all happened late last year at the home of the couple, where we had gathered to watch the Australian Football League (AFL) Grand Final on their huge widescreen TV. I ended up getting myself all upset, defending BbM to them. Got so bad that one of their sisters had to come and give me a hug. Turned out she hadn't seen it either. She told me she hadn't seen it on the recommendation of her brother. I suggested she go see it for herself. She's very gay friendly and I'm sure she'll love it.

Yep, to each his own.  :-\  
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 09:59:54 am »
Kerry, when you find out what "real" gay people are will you let me know? Also "real" straight people, "real" bisexual people, and all the other sorts of "real" people out there.

Thanks!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 10:05:26 am »
Kerry, when you find out what "real" gay people are will you let me know? Also "real" straight people, "real" bisexual people, and all the other sorts of "real" people out there.

Thanks!

Leslie

I argued that very same point with them until I was blue in the face, Leslie, almost to the point of tears, which is why Catherine gave me the hug. I personally thought it was pretty bone ignorant of them to criticise a movie they hadn't even seen.  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν