Author Topic: Movie: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry  (Read 19016 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Movie: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2007, 10:26:41 pm »
Right. I can imagine it's remotely possible if I were to get a boob job, maybe I WOULD feel compelled to have a friend -- regardless of gender or orientation -- check it out for tactile authenticity. But I would at least remain otherwise clothed.

Though come to think of it, isn't the point in the Jessica Biel scene that she DOESN'T have a boob job? Then I can't think of any reason to ask random friends to have a feel, just to verify.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2007, 09:19:39 am »
Now this is remarkable.

So far the SFs on this thread (myself included) are like "WTF?" about the boob-touch-request thing.  And the GMs seem to be confirming that yes, it's pretty common.

So what is up with this?

Speaking for myself only, I have no idea why my lady friend felt compelled to expose her newly elevated chest to me. Since my last post, however, I now remember that she was very excited about showing me her scars. Or should I say, lack of scars. She explained to me that the surgeon had actually cut around the outside edge of her nipples (yikes!), and that that was the entry route by which he inserted the . . um, inserts. And if the prospect of having a scalpel slice into one's nipple wasn't scary enough, she wanted me to closely examine each of her nipples so that I could see for myself just how talented her surgeon was (she was right, her surgeon was very talented, indeed; though, on close examination, one could see very faint, micro-thin scars, leading down from each nipple, vertically, underneath each breast).

In an endeavour to put this in perspective, let's imagine for a moment that I decide to undergo surgery to increase the size of a certain intimate part of my own anatomy. As a gay man, I would imagine the last thing I'd consider doing, post-surgery, would be to swagger and show-off my newly acquired, bigger, fatter, thicker knob in front of a lesbian friend. Why would I do such a thing? I'd be leaving myself open to one of three possible reactions:

1. She'd be physically ill on the spot.

2. She'd call the police and have me arrested.

3. She's point and laugh hysterically.

Better to just keep it in your pants, mate (or inside your blouse, whichever applies).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:25:11 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2007, 03:47:05 pm »
OK...

I gotta go see this movie JUST so I can see Ving Rhames play a gay fireman!!! O0 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Milo
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2007, 02:01:31 am »
Well, aren't I in the vanguard?  Am I the first one on this thread to have actually seen it?  I saw this movie last night!

Two friends and I went to go see Knocked Up and it was sold out.  One friend really wanted to see Chuck & Larry, so cringing, (and not having read this thread or any review about it, just having seen the preview) I went.

The first third was deplorable, offensive gross out jokes galore (which mostly had nothing to do with gayness, just juvenile fart-type jokes).  But here's the amazing thing - by the time the last third was over, I felt warm love fuzzies for the whole thing. 

I would say the GLAAD interview is a good description.  And there were some cute bits:  Richard Chamberlain plays a sort of judge at a sort of hearing at the end.  (Probably for the youngfolk I should explain - Richard Chamberlain was a hugely popular TV actor in the early 1960s, who, about ten (?) years ago came out as gay, and it rocked the world a bit.)  Also, Lance Bass plays the singer in a wedding band at the end of the movie.  He has no lines, other than his singing, so it's a sight not-gag, but wink.  (For oldfolk I should explain - Lance Bass was a hugely popular boyband singer a couple of years ago, who came out as gay last (?) year.)

Ving Rhames is beautiful in his role, if a little silly at times.  But for those who find the idea of him dancing naked with a lot of hip action in the shower in front of a lot of New York fire fighters a turn-on, there's what makes the price of admission worth it. 

Having been introduced here at BetterMost to the really ugly signs some anti-gay protesters hold when they are protesting, I knew that the movie versions were very tame. 

And the arc of how Kevin James goes from cringing when his kid Bob Fosses around the living room, to cheering him on right before the next big audition at school is also terrific. 

One BBM reference - when they go to the store to buy stuff to make their house look "gayer" before the inspector comes over (played with excellent weasel loathesomeness by Steve Buscemi), they are throwing various things in the cart, ending with, piled on the top, a BBM DVD.

Dan Ackroyd was also good as the one person in the movie who knew they were faking all through the movie, and was gay-neutral in a very good way, just didn't want them to get in trouble.

Oh, and the arc of at first their fire fighter peers pulling away, but then embracing and supporting them was great.  Homophobia was definitely made to look very stupid and not well-thought out.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:09:12 am by Ellemeno »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2007, 02:04:50 am »
Yay! That's the best review of it I've read yet.

Now you're making me almost -- almost!! -- want to see it. If only I could go with friends to "Knocked Up" and have it be sold out ...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2007, 02:12:21 am »
Thanks for posting that review Clarissa!  :)

I've heard Adam Sandler has a gay member in his family, and slowly but surely he is becoming an advocate for the gay community. I'm not sure if this is true, but I hope so!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2007, 02:13:46 am »
Oh, and the Canadian Niagara Falls Japanese-esque little weirdie minister who marries them, reminiscent of Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's except with a beatific smile, is Rob Schneider.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2007, 02:15:08 am »
(And while I don't often find myself disagreeing with ineedcrayons, I loved Spanglish, and thought it did a little bit for the Hispanic immigrant labor situation what this movie did for gays.)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2007, 10:38:43 am »
(And while I don't often find myself disagreeing with ineedcrayons, I loved Spanglish, and thought it did a little bit for the Hispanic immigrant labor situation what this movie did for gays.)

OK, I can see that. But I just hated Téa Leoni's character -- a white upper-middle-class mother who is so thoughtless and self-involved and insensitive and snobbish and racist that she's just about evil, especially in contrast with her well-meaning husband, bewildered kids and the wise, saintly, beautiful, perfect -- even well-dressed! -- maid. To me, there was something very mean-spirited about it.

I guess we can disagree on this one little thing.  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2007, 11:40:54 pm »

Cheers for the review Clarissa!  ;)
I'm gonna check out the movie when I get back here from my vac.