Author Topic: What do we all do for a living?  (Read 33744 times)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
What do we all do for a living?
« on: July 14, 2007, 12:35:11 am »
What do you do?   
More than one thing?
Work at home?
Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly? 
Are you doing what you wanted to do?     Would you prefer some other line of work?   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I teach English in college/university during the fall and spring semesters.  I do not teach during winter or summer, by choice.    I also score assessment test essays as needed, throughout the year.   (If you ever want to see some really goofy sentences, I would be happy to post them.  Just think of Richard Lederer's Anguished English collections.)  :laugh:

I also sell a bunch of crap on eBay.   Sorry, but there's no better word choice.   And I proofread and edit as a freelancer.  I also write short fiction stories, hence my very obvious username.   
     Sometimes I think I'd like to chuck the teaching gig once and for all, since I have been PT for lo these many years, and go join the Peace Corps or something.

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

injest

Re: What do we all do for a living?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:25:40 am »
What do you do?   
More than one thing?
Work at home?
Are you doing what you wanted to do?     Would you prefer some other line of work?

We run a small farm, and I work part time at a company in town.

hmmm....I think I am pretty happy with my life.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 10:20:54 am »
What do you do? 

I'm a public servant with the New South Wales Health Department, working in the Executive Unit of a large teaching hospital here in Sydney, Australia.

More than one thing?

No.

Work at home?

No.

Seasonal work?

No.

FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly? 

Full-time, 9-5.

Are you doing what you wanted to do?     

No (see below).

Would you prefer some other line of work? 

I'd prefer to be earning my living from painting, but there's no money in the arts (unless you're kissing the arse of some rich gallery owner), so I've settled for being a Sunday painter, and a dreary ol' public servant during the week. That way I get to retain my dignity - and eat and keep a roof over my head too!  ;)   :D   

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:51:23 am »
I'm a mommy.  Finally.  It's my heart's desire.  I quit the other stuff to do this.  I don't get paid.  I am living on a combination of husband's salary, savings, and not buying stuff much.  Believe it or not, turns out it's harder than the stuff I got paid to do!  :) 

Dagi

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:33:09 am »
I´m a mommy, too.
I am living on a combination of husband's salary, savings, and not buying stuff much.
Same here.

I´ll start working in September (I´m a midwife), when my little cowboy is going to Kindergarten.

Dagi

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:38:22 am »
What do you do?   I work as a translator and editor

More than one thing? I also do volunteer work writing for a magazine for the repetitive strain injury patient association.

Work at home? Nope

Seasonal work?   Parttime because I can't work fulltime because of the pain in my arm.

Are you doing what you wanted to do?  Yes, I love my job but I am not gonna be doing this for the rest of my life

Would you prefer some other line of work?  I am thinking of teaching Dutch and English to people who have just moved to Holland and I am planning to write a children's book. My boyfriend is gonna do the illustrations...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:04 am »
Would you prefer some other line of work?  I am thinking of teaching Dutch and English to people who have just moved to Holland and I am planning to write a children's book. My boyfriend is gonna do the illustrations...

Melissa, that sounds so exciting. What a wonderful ambition.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:08:52 am »
What do you do? 

I'm a loan administrator in the commerical dept. of the bank I work for.  Bascially, when one of the Relationship Managers scores a new loan, I'm the one who sets up the loan on our computer system.  I make sure that the specifics of the loan are set up properly.  The interest rate, payment schedule, maturity date, whether payments will be mailed in or auto debited from their checking account, stuff like that.  I also handle daily business like wires across the U.S. or internationally, processing payments or advances from lines of credit, filing, etc.

More than one thing?

No.

Work at home?

No.

Seasonal work?

No.

FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly? 

Full-time, 9-5.

Not really, but I'm happy here.  Sometimes, you have to "trade off" different things.  I could probably get a similar position at another bank, making more money.  However, I like the people I work with, they like me, and I am out with them.  Plus, my company has diversity training, and offers benefits to same sex couples.

I am debating an attempt at getting some of my poetry published, and see if I can get some exposure in the writing field, probably will start chasing that down at the begining of the new year.   

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 01:03:48 am »
I am a full time toy designer for one of the largest toy companies in the world.

I sell stuff on eBay, too (doesn't everyone?). I don't have time for much else except toy collecting.

I am fortunate enough to be doing exactly what I've always wanted to do. Believe me, I was born to make toys!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 01:27:47 am »
What do you do? 

I'm an accountant.

More than one thing?

Yes. I also work part time for a realty company.

Work at home?

I work at home with one job, and I go to the office for the other one.

My accounting job is full time (and then some!) and my job with the Referral Center is part time.

Not really. But I've had this accounting degree for years. It's about time I do something with it.  :laugh:  I used to dream about being in show business (Broadway), and I almost took a job with the ISO (Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra) but I was disaapointed with the starting salary.

Probably. And I miss my photography job. But hey!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 02:26:36 am »
I am a full time toy designer for one of the largest toy companies in the world.

I sell stuff on eBay, too (doesn't everyone?). I don't have time for much else except toy collecting.

I am fortunate enough to be doing exactly what I've always wanted to do. Believe me, I was born to make toys!

Toycoon--What a great job!! Question for a toy designer--Did you love the movie "BIG"? (I did.) Also--I saw previews for "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" and it looks like a lot of fun--have you seen anything about that one? Dustin Hoffman is in it.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 09:51:07 am »
Toycoon--What a great job!! Question for a toy designer--Did you love the movie "BIG"? (I did.) Also--I saw previews for "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" and it looks like a lot of fun--have you seen anything about that one? Dustin Hoffman is in it.

Hi Shasta, Yes, I saw the movie "Big" before I started working in the industry. It is similar to what was shown in the movie but vastly different, too. There are a great deal more people devoted to designing toys these days. Marketing hasn't changed all that much though there are some good people working there, too!
Never heard of "Mr. Majorium's Wonder Emporium". When does it debut?
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 09:55:18 am »

What do you do? 

Patent Research

More than one thing?

No

Work at home?

I can and sometimes do

Full time but am on an extended leave of absence right now.  I may not go back

No

I don't know what I want any more

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 12:44:02 am »
What do you do? 

Patent Research

More than one thing?

No

Work at home?

I can and sometimes do

Full time but am on an extended leave of absence right now.  I may not go back

No

You have a real artistic flair, Dottie, and an enormous propensity for bringing joy to others.  :D

IMHO you would make a wonderful proprietor of a trendy little gallery. Or the owner of a cute little cafe in a hip part of town. I bet you'd attract a loyal clientele in no time.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 01:35:35 am »
What do you do?

Freelance writer.

More than one thing?

Well, more than one kind of writing. Articles, essays, book reviews, etc. I also care for two rowdy sons.

Work at home?

Yup.

PT writing, FT parenting.

Yes, but I'm not making as much money at it as I'd like.

No, but I will soon be needing something more remunerative -- either more freelance assignments or something FT.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 01:53:53 am »

Toycoon!  Small world, bud!  One of my college roomies works for Mattel - Tracking her down is very high on the list of things to do now that I'm on the west coast!

As for me...

What do you do?
I develop software, mostly user interaces and background database processes.

More than one thing?
Not often, though I frequently find myself 'fixing' friiends computers in exchange for drinks or dinner.   :D
Actually, before my mom got sick, I always had a volunteer job of some sort.  I'm hoping to add one back now that I won't be commutin four three hours a day!

Work at home?
I could at my old job and it was a blessing; the new job in Cali has much more strict security, so likely no.

Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly?
Full time, but flexible hours 6-6.

Not exactly, but I'm pretty good at it, so that's satisfying.  I started out in infrared physics and looking back, I enjoyed pure science, research, and development a lot more.

See above...I'd like to get my graduate degree and get back into R&D.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 02:02:11 am »
I didn't know you were a programmer Lynne!!

Can you believe I actually programmed some software when I lived in Evansville? I worked for a company called "Total Management" and they hired me to help program some accounting software they were developing. Well, actually they hired me as a temp to do some telephone work until they found out I had an accounting degree. We programmed the software using the Clarion and Delphi database languages. Are you familiar with those databases? Once we finished the software I was laid off from the company.

But the last time I checked the company wasn't in business anymore. Karma is a beeyotch!  :laugh:

I learned a lot about programming though, even though computers HATE me and I'm lucky if I can even get mine to turn on most of the time.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 02:04:05 am »
What do you do?   

I'm an Assistant Information Systems Analyst for the State of California.  I work for the Sate EPA.  I'm responsible for monitoring the help desk, installing programs, troubleshooting, and I'm the back-up for our webmaster and LAN administrator. 

More than one thing?

Well, yes, if parenting counts.  I'm a single mom.

Work at home?

No, but I'm hoping to do that very soon as a sideline.

No. 

I'm not doing what I want to do.  In fact, I'm becoming really bored with what I'm doing.  The problem is, I don't know exactly what sort of work I would like to do!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 02:10:29 am »
I didn't know you were a programmer Lynne!!

Can you believe I actually programmed some software when I lived in Evansville? I worked for a company called "Total Management" and they hired me to help program some accounting software they were developing. Well, actually they hired me as a temp to do some telephone work until they found out I had an accounting degree. We programmed the software using the Clarion and Delphi database languages. Are you familiar with those databases? Once we finished the software I was laid off from the company.

But the last time I checked the company wasn't in business anymore. Karma is a beeyotch!  :laugh:

I learned a lot about programming though, even though computers HATE me and I'm lucky if I can even get mine to turn on most of the time.  :D

No, David - I had no idea!! Very cool!  I know nada about Clarion or Delphi - I use Sybase, Oracle, and Access.  At first it was a lot of fun - kinda like playing computer games...I enjoyed figuring out how to do something in the very fewest lines of code (geeky, I know, a la Name That Tune) but it kept me entertained.  That's become old and the fun part now is working with customers, figuring out what they need, and translating that into a software design.

Re: Karma - a side note - I haven't gone on many interviews and haven't changed jobs very often - only 5 interviews in 20 years...and I got 4 of the 5 jobs...the one I didn't get -- and I was peeved at the time! - was a startup that went belly-up within the next year...Karma was looking out for me then!!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 09:34:12 am »
Ineedcrayons, caring for two rowdy boys should be it's own reward.

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 09:40:48 am »
Toycoon!  Small world, bud!  One of my college roomies works for Mattel - Tracking her down is very high on the list of things to do now that I'm on the west coast!

Howdy Lynne,
Send me a PM with your friend name and I can track down her email address for you. I may already know her! Woohoo! I didn't know you was on the West Coast? I'm in Los Angeles. Where art thou?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 09:45:48 am »
Ineedcrayons, caring for two rowdy boys should be it's own reward.

Yes, I repeat that like a mantra some days!  ;D

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 02:51:27 pm »
You have a real artistic flair, Dottie, and an enormous propensity for bringing joy to others.  :D

IMHO you would make a wonderful proprietor of a trendy little gallery. Or the owner of a cute little cafe in a hip part of town. I bet you'd attract a loyal clientele in no time.  :D

Awww Kerry Thanks!   :-*  You sweet talker you   ;)
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 08:57:21 pm »
What do you do?   

I'm an Assistant Information Systems Analyst for the State of California.  I work for the Sate EPA.  I'm responsible for monitoring the help desk, installing programs, troubleshooting, and I'm the back-up for our webmaster and LAN administrator. 

More than one thing?

Well, yes, if parenting counts.  I'm a single mom.

Work at home?

No, but I'm hoping to do that very soon as a sideline.

No. 

I'm not doing what I want to do.  In fact, I'm becoming really bored with what I'm doing.  The problem is, I don't know exactly what sort of work I would like to do!

Well, hello there, littlewing!   We know each other from the IMDB.    I also work for the state of CA--have always taught in the CSU or community colleges.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 02:41:28 am »

I´ll start working in September (I´m a midwife), when my little cowboy is going to Kindergarten.

Dagi

COOL, Dagi, nothing cooler!  How will you balance the long, completely unpredictable hours that labor takes with getting childcare coverage?

I used to be a doula, but I can't imagine doing that now, with a 4yo.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 04:53:26 am »

What's a Doula?

Tycoon - what an exciting job!!!

And for those guys that sell stuff on ebay - any tips? What sells?? Perhaps that should be another thread! In fact I'm going to start one!

What do you do?   

I'ma support inspector for Communities Scotland which is the housing and regeneration agency of the Scottish Government.

Basically this means that I will be the contact for about 40 social landlords in Scotland - and I will help them with any legal or governance issues that they need advice and help on. I am also the person that deals with any complaints that a member of the public has about these organisations. When these landlords are publicly audited and inspected by my colleagues I will follow up with them an ensure they are putting improvements into place.

More than one thing?

No - although I have done one or two bits of extra work this year on the side.... 2 adverts and a Scottish Sopa opera. I was also asked to be an extra in a film currently being filmed called the stone of destiny which has Billy Boyd and Robert Carslile in it but becasue I have highlighted hair and it is set in the 50's I was cancelled.

Work at home?

No

I have flexi time so I should work 37 hours a week but I can come and go on this. I can also compress my working houirs if I wish so i could work full time over say 4 days.

I've just got this promotion form another area of Communities Scotland and so far I'm really enjoying it. If money and security was not an issue I may follwo my dreams a bit more - more voluntary type work or music but of course in relaity thats not possible. But I'm not unhappy at work and I ahve a good bunch of workmates...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 05:33:21 am »
What do you do?    I teach English in a secondary (high) school, and a few hours in college.

More than one thing? I do not see where I could fit in a second job, what with being a mother of 2 (13 and 6 years old)! (Ellemeno: totally right you are, being a mum is much more difficult than most of the things you get paid to do!)

Work at home? You have no choice but at home as well when you are a teacher (very often at weekends and till the wee hours of the morning too...)

Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly?  Full time.

Are you doing what you wanted to do? When I started learning English at the age of 11, (on the first day I think), I came back home and broke it out to my parents: "Mum, dad, I want to teach English later". So yeah, I guess I'm doing what I wanted .

I'd love to be a writer (novelist or playwright). Can't find the time now, but maybe 'later'...
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 04:04:34 pm »
What's a Doula?

I'm curious, too. What is a Doula?

Tycoon - what an exciting job!!!
It is very exciting. I love my job!

And for those guys that sell stuff on ebay - any tips? What sells?? Perhaps that should be another thread! In fact I'm going to start one!
My boyfriend is the main person who sells on Ebay. He sells all kinds of stuff; clothes, antiques, collectibles and other assorted stuff.

Offline justin25taylor

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 06:42:48 am »
Rancher by day, Steel guitar player at night

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 06:47:57 am »
Hey Justin! Thanks for making your first post in the How We Live section !!! Hope you are enjoying finding out what bettermost is all about!

Sounds like both an interesting job and hobby.. so what are the main difference in playing with a steel - its like a metal thing rather than using your fingers right? - to ordinary guitar?

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 06:50:41 am »
I'm curious, too. What is a Doula?

Wikipedia is a great thing -

A doula is a non-medical assistant who provides physical, emotional and informational support in prenatal care, during childbirth and during the postpartum period.

Sounds interesting Elle, tell us more! I don't think there is such a thing in the UK - perhaps there should be - our midwives are certainly overworked in the UK.

Dagi

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 02:47:46 pm »

COOL, Dagi, nothing cooler!  How will you balance the long, completely unpredictable hours that labor takes with getting childcare coverage?

I can imagine you as a doula - women need loving, nurturing women during the long hours of childbirth.

For the next years I will have to be content with visiting freshly baken mums at home, checking if everything is alright, giving advice and support in this delicate period. I don´t have anyone whom I could pass my children at any moment if I had to go look after a woman in labor. Maybe in a few years!

Thanks for your interest!

Dagi

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 05:23:47 pm »
What do you do?   

I'm a radio journalist and occasional presenter of radio shows;

More than one thing?

Oh well, nothing I would get paid for...

Work at home?

Oh, yes. I practically live at my computer, cutting audio material, doing research or writing news items for the next morning practically every evening;
Err... and does cooking meals, cleaning up and caring for a little girl count as work at home, too?  ;)

Yes, occasionally.

When I was a little girl, a wanted to become a singer or a tailor. But what I'm doing now is alright, too, I guess.

No. I think, I got lucky with what I'm doing.

mvansand76

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 05:46:18 pm »
What do you do?   

I'm a radio journalist and occasional presenter of radio shows;

More than one thing?

Oh well, nothing I would get paid for...

Work at home?

Oh, yes. I practically live at my computer, cutting audio material, doing research or writing news items for the next morning practically every evening;
Err... and does cooking meals, cleaning up and caring for a little girl count as work at home, too?  ;)

Yes, occasionally.

When I was a little girl, a wanted to become a singer or a tailor. But what I'm doing now is alright, too, I guess.

No. I think, I got lucky with what I'm doing.

Hey Anke, can't wait to meet you (and your family?) on the 4th in Amsterdam! I forgot to tell you that if you need some tips for your stay in Amsterdam, just let me know!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2007, 08:38:15 pm »
(Ellemeno: totally right you are, being a mum is much more difficult than most of the things you get paid to do!)

When my husband and I have compared to see whose job is harder, I say "Hey, I used to HAVE your job" -- he's a reporter and I'm a former reporter -- "and I know it can be hard, frustrating, even make you mad some days. But no matter how bad a day I ever had as a reporter, I can't recall a time I ever yelled until my throat hurt. And now I do that pretty much on a daily basis!"  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2007, 10:39:31 pm »

What do you do?   
I'm an art curator

More than one thing?
no

Work at home?
Avoiding bringing work home with me is a major, daily goal of mine.  But, alas, I often find myself bringing "homework" home.  But, no, I don't technically work at home.

full time

Yes, this job is my first career job out of grad school and I spent 7 years in grad school hoping to become a curator.  So, sometimes I pinch myself with how lucky I was to land this job right off the bat.  But, it's been a major adjustment starting this job.  And, lots of aspects of it are very different from how I imagined them.  But, yes, I love my job.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 03:49:17 am »
What do you do?   
I'm an art curator

More than one thing?
no

Work at home?
Avoiding bringing work home with me is a major, daily goal of mine.  But, alas, I often find myself bringing "homework" home.  But, no, I don't technically work at home.

full time

Yes, this job is my first career job out of grad school and I spent 7 years in grad school hoping to become a curator.  So, sometimes I pinch myself with how lucky I was to land this job right off the bat.  But, it's been a major adjustment starting this job.  And, lots of aspects of it are very different from how I imagined them.  But, yes, I love my job.

I didn't know you were a art curator Amanda - what a cool job!

And Elle ...

But no matter how bad a day I ever had as a reporter, I can't recall a time I ever yelled until my throat hurt. And now I do that pretty much on a daily basis!"  ;D

:laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 02:35:15 pm »
Thanks Kelda!
8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2007, 05:37:15 pm »
And Elle ...

But no matter how bad a day I ever had as a reporter, I can't recall a time I ever yelled until my throat hurt. And now I do that pretty much on a daily basis!"  ;D

That wasn't me who said that!  My child's only four, I think yelling at her til my throat hurt would be traumatic for her.  Besides yelling doesn't seem to be the motivator for her.   "Wow, all you have left is to put your shoes on and then we can GO!" still works with her pretty well.   I do a whole lot of "Hey, as soon as you [FILL IN BLANK A], then we can [FILL IN BLANK B]!!"  :)   

Thanks for your interest in doulas, Friends.  Kelda, thanks for posting the definition.  I was a labor doula (not post-partum, didn't really know much about babies back then), so before a birth, I helped women and families figure out what they thought would help them most during labor,  and then was with them during labor to help them stay with what worked for them.  It was pretty amazing.  And tiring.  This might be changing in the field now, but back then (12 years or so ago), the commitment on the doula's part was to stay with the woman the whole time through labor no matter how many hours it went.  That was grueling, especially the one week I had three women I was working with call me.  It took literally weeks to get back on track after missing so much sleep.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2007, 05:54:54 pm »

That wasn't me who said that!  My child's only four, I think yelling at her til my throat hurt would be traumatic for her.  Besides yelling doesn't seem to be the motivator for her.   "Wow, all you have left is to put your shoes on and then we can GO!" still works with her pretty well.   I do a whole lot of "Hey, as soon as you [FILL IN BLANK A], then we can [FILL IN BLANK B]!!"  :)   

Thanks for your interest in doulas, Friends.  Kelda, thanks for posting the definition.  I was a labor doula (not post-partum, didn't really know much about babies back then), so before a birth, I helped women and families figure out what they thought would help them most during labor,  and then was with them during labor to help them stay with what worked for them.  It was pretty amazing.  And tiring.  This might be changing in the field now, but back then (12 years or so ago), the commitment on the doula's part was to stay with the woman the whole time through labor no matter how many hours it went.  That was grueling, especially the one week I had three women I was working with call me.  It took literally weeks to get back on track after missing so much sleep.

Ooopps no neither it was! Doh! I'm totally on a roll this weather it making silly mistakes!!!

I bet now with a child you would get back into that sleep pattern pretty quick!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 02:18:26 am »
That wasn't me who said that!  My child's only four, I think yelling at her til my throat hurt would be traumatic for her.

It was me! And I did it when my children were four, five, six and ... well, they're 11 and 12 I still do it sometimes. Not quite on a daily basis, but still.

Traumatic? Yes, absolutely. My kids' childhoods were -- and still are -- traumatic for all concerned.  :-\

Besides yelling doesn't seem to be the motivator for her.   "Wow, all you have left is to put your shoes on and then we can GO!" still works with her pretty well.   I do a whole lot of "Hey, as soon as you [FILL IN BLANK A], then we can [FILL IN BLANK B]!!"  :)

I tried all of those things and more, and none of them ever worked for me. Ever. Yelling until my throat hurt wasn't so much a strategy as an inevitable normal human reaction.

I still get astounded sometimes about how persuadable other kids can be. For example, the other day I heard what appeared to be a grandmother explaining to a girl of maybe four why junk food is bad for you. The girl, immediately and utterly convinced, said passionately, "They shouldn't even sell it!"

Wow, I thought. There are kids in this world who, when they hear an adult tell them something, immediately assume they are right and adopt that opinion themselves.

My kids assume I am right about purely factual matters only. What a word means, for example. When it comes to opinions, they have always, always had their own.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 02:20:34 am »
I still get astounded sometimes about how persuadable other kids can be. For example, the other day I heard what appeared to be a grandmother explaining to a girl of maybe four why junk food is bad for you. The girl, immediately and utterly convinced, said passionately, "They shouldn't even sell it!"

How cute!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 03:38:07 am »
It was me! And I did it when my children were four, five, six and ... well, they're 11 and 12 I still do it sometimes. Not quite on a daily basis, but still.

Traumatic? Yes, absolutely. My kids' childhoods were -- and still are -- traumatic for all concerned.  :-\

I tried all of those things and more, and none of them ever worked for me. Ever. Yelling until my throat hurt wasn't so much a strategy as an inevitable normal human reaction.

Wow, I thought. There are kids in this world who, when they hear an adult tell them something, immediately assume they are right and adopt that opinion themselves.

My kids assume I am right about purely factual matters only. What a word means, for example. When it comes to opinions, they have always, always had their own.

heh, a little bit of yelling every now and then doesn't hurt kids too much I'd say!

I'm sure I'll do a bit of yelling when it comes my turn!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2007, 04:45:06 am »
Katherine - sounds like you've got real thinkers there.  :)  For real. 

I don't know what to say about the trauma.  I believe you, but I sure didn't see any samples of you yelling when I spent four blissful days with you - blissful in significant part BECAUSE of you.  :-*

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2007, 06:32:37 am »

Hi Katherine,

I agree with you on this one! You are not the only one who ends up yelling at your kids, whatever the age! I have done it with mine too (and it still happens , but more rarely), because I do not want to hit them (and it is not my 'natural' reaction to hit either!) But there are times when THEY do the screaming (before YOU), and things can get out of hand and you start yelling.

Like yours, my kids have a mind of their own! And although it is very hard as a parent, in the long run I think it is all the better for them.

Be careful there, though, Katherine: take care of yourself. I heard 7 months ago that I had developed an auto-immune disease that is stressed induced, and I am certain that the level of stress induced by child-rearing and yelling at them (which actually increases the stress) is no alien to my developing this.
Now I try to preserve myself, and just send them to their bedroom if they start being a nuisance, with the advice to stay in there till they calm down, or I "promise" to deprive them of something they like/want to do if they don't. At the ages of 6 and 13, this still works (when all else fails).

And believe me, they are NOT traumatized. They may be pains at home sometimes (and less and less so), but are perfectly behaved at school and at other people's houses, and always get praised for it!
Courage, mon amie!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2007, 03:00:02 am »
Merci, Isabelle, Clarissa, Kelda and Shasta.

It's weird. I actually don't have a particularly hot temper, I don't think, but the kids really bring it out in me. And then I always wonder, when strangers see the kids acting up and me yelling at them, if they think, "Well, no wonder they misbehave, with a horrible mom like that!" when actually, in my mind, it's the reverse. People assume parents should mold their kids' behavior, but really don't give much thought to the idea that it can also work the other way around.

My kdis are not particularly well-behaved at school. I've had calls from just about every teacher my older son (the harder one) has ever had. The teachers are perplexed, because he is gifted and gets perfect grades and incredible test scores but disobeys instructions and constantly disrupts the classroom. Luckily, as he gets older I've heard less blame in their voices. With younger children, there is the assumption that misbehavior is a sign of faulty parenting. (Good school work, on the other hand, is never a sign of good parenting -- the blame/credit thing only follows certain channels).

I do send him to his room -- compared to his easier younger brother, he has probably spent literally close to 100 times the hours in time outs -- even though that in itself is a very stressful thing. He refuses to go. When he was younger I could pick him up and carry him, kicking and screaming and grabbing doorframes, and often had to stand there holding his door closed with all of my strength while he threw himself against it like a rabid wolverine. He would build what would otherwise be a 10-minute time out for a minor infraction into an all-night affair that disrupted the entire family ...

Well, anyway, time outs have been harder to enforce now that he's too big to pick up and carry. Luckily, as he has gotten older and more rational he's easier to deal with. He has always felt that he was right about everything. When he was four, him being right meant running out in front of cars in the Target parking lot. Now that he's 12, his idea of right is slightly more reasonable. But there's still a long ways to go ...

Anyway, the qualities my kids have that drive me crazy are qualities that will serve them well once they become adults. Stubborness, high energy, confidence, singlemindedness, strength of will, refusal to be intimidated by ANYONE. On top of intelligence and creativity, they should do well. And when they win their nomination or award or election or whatever, no one in the audience will be clapping harder than me (or sighing a bigger sigh of relief).

OK, sorry for blabbing on. Back to other people's jobs.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2007, 03:05:35 am »
Whew! Just reading that made me tired! :P

I think you sound like a very good and patient mom!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2007, 09:31:23 am »
I have split this thread where we began to talk about discipline on David's suggestion and moved it to the Dealing with young kids and teenagers thread - hope noone minds!

Now - back on to what we do for a living!

Is anyone else a full time Mom or dad?

Or has anyone got an exciting career?? C'mon Jake and Heath if you're online masquarading as a normal person! - tell us about your job!!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2007, 01:35:51 pm »
What do you do? 

Software development and deployment consultant.

More than one thing?

I wrote novels and poems - IN MY SPARE TIME!!!

Work at home?

Not often.

Full time.

It pays for the house and it pays for the editing *some of it * and the printing when I put out a book.

oh yeah, being a famous novelist is what I intend when I finally get discovered!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline jwt94901

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2007, 11:37:53 am »
What do you do?   
I am a full-time community college English instructor.

More than one thing?
Not now.  I used to teach at two or three different places but have not done so since 2005.

Work at home?
Just grading essays or creating lesson plans! 

I sometimes (usually) teach one class in the summer for extra money.  I am FT and am able to set my schedule, within reason, as to how I like it. 

Yes, although many years ago I never dreamed of being a teacher.  I must say, though, if I were able to go back in time and change my famly dynamics, and "what was expected or requested" of me, particularly by my father, I would definitely have donet hings a lot differently and most likely be doing something entirely different now.  Still, I greatly enjoy my work and love teaching, although I loathe the political landmines I have had to roll through or step around ever so gingerly.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007, 03:54:00 am »
What do you do?   
I am a full-time community college English instructor.

More than one thing?
Not now.  I used to teach at two or three different places but have not done so since 2005.

Work at home?
Just grading essays or creating lesson plans! 

I sometimes (usually) teach one class in the summer for extra money.  I am FT and am able to set my schedule, within reason, as to how I like it. 

Yes, although many years ago I never dreamed of being a teacher.  I must say, though, if I were able to go back in time and change my famly dynamics, and "what was expected or requested" of me, particularly by my father, I would definitely have donet hings a lot differently and most likely be doing something entirely different now.  Still, I greatly enjoy my work and love teaching, although I loathe the political landmines I have had to roll through or step around ever so gingerly.

jwt94901 - nice to meet you! Welcome to Bettermost! You want some Cherry cake and coffee??!
#
I can imagine being a teacher can be both frustrating and rewarding in equal amounts. I don't think I could cope with that many kids!

Offline jwt94901

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2007, 09:49:35 am »
Thank you for the welcome!  No cherry cake, thank you ma'm, but I am drinking my Peet's Coffee while reading the paper and playing some music, getting ready to face the day. 

Luckily I don't teach kids--I don't especially like little kids that much, I'm afraid to say, and have NO desire to have any--but I teach mostly students who range from being either just about to graduate or having just graduated from high school to adults who are married with kids of their own.  The oldest student I taught was 81 years oild!   :D

See you around!
John

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2007, 01:23:06 pm »
I'm a registered nurse.

While I'm more than grateful to have a decent paying in demand job, it is hard and can be very frustrating at times. We even put up with verbal abuse from families and doctors. I just wish I could take care of my patients without the added B S.

I would have loved to do something like dig dinosaur bones or artifacts in the desert all day. But then I don't do well in the hot sun. So who knows.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2007, 01:36:05 pm »
Wishes - again a job which is rewarding and frustating in equal amounts.. nurses def deserve to be paid better.

one of our bettermost residents husband is an arhcologist I believe! Sounds like such a cool job!

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2007, 04:23:15 pm »
Thanks Kelda. Yes an archeologist I imagine, out there finding all those artifacts. But I am sure there is a lot of tedious cataloging and such work to do. I guess nothing is perfect and almost everyone has to report to someone no matter what you do.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2007, 09:20:12 am »
Thanks Kelda. Yes an archeologist I imagine, out there finding all those artifacts. But I am sure there is a lot of tedious cataloging and such work to do. I guess nothing is perfect and almost everyone has to report to someone no matter what you do.

Many years ago, when I was young and foolish (as opposed to my present old and foolish!), I recall complaining to my Mum one day about my then arsehole of a boss, with whom I was having trouble at the time. I remember saying to Mum how wonderful it must be to be self-employed and not have to answer to a boss. Owning my own little book shop seemed like an excellent idea to me. My Mum responded, "And you think you'll have no boss, if you're self-employed, do you? Well, let me tell you, every single customer who walks through your door is your boss, when you're self-employed. Stay where you are and try harder to get on with your boss. At least you've only got one boss there." A very wise woman, my Mum.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2007, 03:49:51 pm »
Oh Kerry I think your mother is a very wise woman indeed! I was once offered a promotion at work which I turned down in a second and have never regretted it. It may have been a little more money and would have got me off my feet but it would have made me part of administration. Something I am not meant to be. I consider myself a flunky floor nurse but when I leave work at least I am off work totally until I return the next week. Even if my last shift was 16 hours  :(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2007, 09:56:07 am »
Oh Kerry I think your mother is a very wise woman indeed! I was once offered a promotion at work which I turned down in a second and have never regretted it. It may have been a little more money and would have got me off my feet but it would have made me part of administration. Something I am not meant to be. I consider myself a flunky floor nurse but when I leave work at least I am off work totally until I return the next week. Even if my last shift was 16 hours  :(

I have a great deal of admiration and respect for the wonderful work done by nurses, Wishes. I have worked in the Health industry for the past 27 years and know for a definite fact that the industry could simply not survive without you guys.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2007, 06:08:11 pm »
Thank you Kerry! What a very nice thing to say.  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2007, 06:10:48 pm »
nice, but true. i never undersatnd why nurses get paid so badly for what they do. Particularly when you compare to Doctors.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2007, 06:21:24 pm »
I have a coworker who is getting her wages garnished because she has medical bills she could not pay even with our crap insurance. If I were her, I'd be so mad at work I could not stand it.

What I would really love, is a lower patient load. Especially since we were short staffed last week. I would not turn down more money though either.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2007, 09:10:24 pm »
I think nurses around here get paid pretty well.  Maybe it's supply and demand?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2007, 03:43:17 am »
In the UK, nurses pay are pretty bad - considering what they do & that they train and go to college/uni to do the job.  >:(

While not bad compared to shop workers etc, comparing to other skilled jobs...bad.

It's the same as Nursery Nurses... my Mum was one of them.

This is basically a teacher - but for children under 5.

My Mum had to complete workplans, track childrens progress, do parents night and reports.. and she got paid £12K when she retired after being in the profession 15 years.

Teachers get paid £18K as soon as they qualify.  >:(  Personally, I don't see what difference there is in these professions - other than my Mum going to college rather than university to get her qualification.

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »
I'd prefer to be earning my living from painting, but there's no money in the arts (unless you're kissing the arse of some rich gallery owner), so I've settled for being a Sunday painter, and a dreary ol' public servant during the week. That way I get to retain my dignity - and eat and keep a roof over my head too!

Hi, Kerry - You don't know me but I'm around; I just don't say much. But I saw this in a magazine just after I had been reading some of the posts here and I immediately thought of you.

"Go to Paintsquared.com, a blog by Portlander (Portland, Maine, FWIW) Elizabeth Fraser that chronicles her life through art. Each morning since January, the self-taught artist has posted a new 5"x5" oil painting on the site (one day a week she posts two) along with notes about the place that inspired it...Once the work is online, it's ready for auction on eBay, starting at $60.00 each. Some have sold for more than $200.00. 'I find that [the internet] is a great tool for people to see your work," Fraser says. Finding a way to fit artwork and computers together I think [is] something all artists should be doing'."

Maybe your Sunday painting could turn into something more than it is without jeopardizing the food in your refrigerator or the roof over your head!

(For the record, I've worked in the office of an educational non-profit for the last seven years. Most of the time I like it. I get to move around a lot most days, meaning that I'm not sitting at my desk all day, and the perks are good. We have a lot of freedom as far as what hours we work most days and don't have to worry about it if we need to make an appointment for a dentist or doctor or hair cut or whatever. We just put it on our bosses calendar and remind the other people in the office that we'll be late, or leaving early, and go. Sure there are days that we would all like to just leave and not go back but you get that just about everywhere, I think. And most of the time I feel that the work we're doing has some value, so that helps.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 07:01:17 pm by tamarack »

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2007, 09:26:02 pm »
In the UK, nurses pay are pretty bad - considering what they do & that they train and go to college/uni to do the job.  >:(

While not bad compared to shop workers etc, comparing to other skilled jobs...bad.

It's the same as Nursery Nurses... my Mum was one of them.

This is basically a teacher - but for children under 5.

My Mum had to complete workplans, track childrens progress, do parents night and reports.. and she got paid £12K when she retired after being in the profession 15 years.

Teachers get paid £18K as soon as they qualify.  >:(  Personally, I don't see what difference there is in these professions - other than my Mum going to college rather than university to get her qualification.

What is the difference between college and university?

I have been told before, but I forget.

I am a veterinarian, I work a lot, and it is what I want to do.

(I thought I posted this already... I guess it vanished in the Bermuda Triangle of Posts.  Or, I just hit "preview" so many times I forgot to push the final, "post.")
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2007, 03:15:55 am »
okay - university here is where you would get a degree.

College is where you do further education but its not a degree, so it is an institution between secondary school and university, a college of further education and adult education.

You're a vet!!

wow-o-wow! I so wanted to be that when i grew up!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2007, 08:59:14 am »
Hi, Kerry - You don't know me but I'm around; I just don't say much. But I saw this in a magazine just after I had been reading some of the posts here and I immediately thought of you.

"Go to Paintsquared.com, a blog by Portlander (Portland, Maine, FWIW) Elizabeth Fraser that chronicles her life through art. Each morning since January, the self-taught artist has posted a new 5"x5" oil painting on the site (one day a week she posts two) along with notes about the place that inspired it...Once the work is online, it's ready for auction on eBay, starting at $60.00 each. Some have sold for more than $200.00. 'I find that [the internet] is a great tool for people to see your work," Fraser says. Finding a way to fit artwork and computers together I think [is] something all artists should be doing'."

Thank you so much for posting this information about Elizabeth Fraser and paintsquared.com, Tamarack!  :D

I just now visited the site and I love the paintings!

In fact, you've got me all excited and my imagination is racing away with me, about the possibilities of selling my paintings on e-Bay!  :o

Not sure that I'll manage to be as prolific as Elizabeth, but I'll certainly give it my best shot! I'll have more time to paint next year, when I retire!  ;D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2007, 07:36:09 pm »
I'm so glad that it struck you this way, Kerry! That's what I was hoping when I saw it. The artsy people that I know are just horrible at marketing, which only makes sense, I guess, but this seemed pretty much like "not marketing" but it  would still get your work out there where people could see it and BUY it.

I don't think you should be too concerned about not being as prolific as she is. After all, her paintings are so tiny.  :) You could probably paint a normal sized picture and then cut it up and sell the pieces. I almost thought that was what she was going to say that she did - one piece a day and you buy them and re-assemble them. I've seen pictures put together like that with an inch or two in between the pieces. I like the way it looks. I guess you could stop buying the pieces whenever you wanted to and then everyone would have a different finished picture!

Anyway, I'm glad this struck a chord with you. Good luck with it!

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2007, 03:37:43 pm »
i work full time as a custodian my hours are 6:00pm - 2:30am its not really what i want to be doing but its not to bad i have alot of fun with the people i work with and the pay is good so you can't be that.  what would i rather be doing? well lets see i've decided that i like writing but thats something i just do on the side, i worked with horses once and really enjoyed that, i'm really good with animals so probably something along those lines.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2007, 11:04:13 am »
custodian? Like a prison officer?

Or i tried wikipedia and is says that in the United States, is a person that cleans and maintains large buildings?  or it can also mean a Custodian as a financial term, refers to a bank (Custodian bank), agent, or other organization responsible for safeguarding a firm's or individual's financial assets. The role of a custodian in such a case would be the following: to hold in safekeeping assets such as equities and bonds, arrange settlement of any purchases and sales of such securities, collect information on and income from such assets (dividends in the case of equities and interest in the case of bonds), provide information on the underlying companies and their annual general meetings, manage cash transactions, perform foreign exchange transactions where required and provide regular reporting on all their activities to their clients.

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2008, 09:15:25 pm »
I didn't see an introduce yourself thread so I thought i'd jump in here. If there is an official intro thread then point me to it.
I work in an optical lab and also work on the sales floor selling and fitting glasses. I've been in optical for 15 years now and i've got 13 years experience in the lab making glasses. I like the work, I hate the company. CEO America just sucks. They don't care about you at all, just how much money you can make them. Is it my dream career? No. I have no idea what that really is so for now, this will do.   ;)

Teri

Offline optom3

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2008, 09:38:17 pm »
I started off as a clinical chemist,(hours way too long working on call) went back to Uni and became an Optometrist,less long hours but non stop.

Moved to the states and became stay at home mom.Longest hours of all,and the hardest work of all.But so far the most gratifying

Am I doing what I want,yes and no.

No, because Untill I developed arthritis at age of 17 I was going to be a ballerina.I was obsessed with it.Never even had a back up plan.Just lived for ballet.

Yes because I love the fact that now I have kids,at long last I get to spend time with them.Back in the U.K we had a nanny.

Is it full time,you bet.!!!!

Can I work at home. Part time, in between running non stop taxi service,acrosss half of Florida,to gymnastics,tennis and wrestling tournaments.
Not to mention the mall,the school bus run,psychiatrist appts, and lessons for all above sports.You get the picture I'm sure !!!!

Would I change it. Not any more. I used to wonder how life as a ballerina would have panned out.But it drove me nuts thinking of it,so I gave up wondering.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2008, 10:15:29 pm »
I didn't see an introduce yourself thread so I thought i'd jump in here. If there is an official intro thread then point me to it.
I work in an optical lab and also work on the sales floor selling and fitting glasses. I've been in optical for 15 years now and i've got 13 years experience in the lab making glasses. I like the work, I hate the company. CEO America just sucks. They don't care about you at all, just how much money you can make them. Is it my dream career? No. I have no idea what that really is so for now, this will do.   ;)

Teri

Welcome to Bettermost Teri! There is an 'Introduce Yourself' thread at http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,31.1040.html, if you want to post an intro about yourself, we can give you a proper friendly welcome!  :D
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2008, 10:24:56 pm »
I finally found it. Someone pm'd me the link. I just got done posting an intro. Thanks so much!
Teri

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2008, 06:34:41 pm »
Hi Teri - welcome - thanks for intoducing yourself here! Another optician - I think susiebk is one too!

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2008, 09:32:35 pm »
I'm a certified optician but not licensed in Florida yet.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2008, 10:01:31 pm »

Something I've always wondered....what is the difference between an optician, optometrist, and opthalmologist? In 500 words or less, please.  :D  (just kidding, take as many as you want!)
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline optom3

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2008, 10:26:27 pm »

Ditto apparantly you have to go to Miami to do the conversion,from Brit to USA qualifications.Think I will just stay home!!!!!

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31:45 pm »
::::::: Clears throat :::::::

An optician is someone who has passed the American Board of Opticianry exam and is proficient in fitting and adjusting glasses. They are ultimately responsible for doing the last inspection on the glasses before they go out the door.  Like putting their stamp of approval on them. You also have to know how to troubleshoot whenever someone is having a problem with their glasses.
When you pass the ABO exam you become a certified optician. Certain states require an opticians' license. Florida is one. This means in addition to the ABO exam you have to pass a contact lens exam, the state boards and either apprentice under 2 licensed opticians for 3 years or go to an opticianry school and get your A.A in opticianry.These states require a licensed optician to be on the premises whenever the store is open.  I have passed the ABO and finished my apprentice work.

An optometrist is someone who is a doctor of optometry. They specialize in refractions (getting your rx) and diagnosing eye diseases.

An opthomologist specializes in the treatment of eye diseases and performs surgery. They go to medical school in addition to optometry school. You can go to an optometrist to get your rx and they check the health of your eyes. If they see anything wrong then they would refer you to an opthomologist.

Any questions? Feel free to ask. I've been working in optical for 15 years. I was an optometric technician (in the docs office) for 2 years and have spent the past 13 years working in the lab making glasses. I've been working on the floor in addition to the lab for the past year selling and fitting glasses.

Teri

Offline optom3

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2008, 10:50:06 pm »
Something I've always wondered....what is the difference between an optician, optometrist, and opthalmologist? In 500 words or less, please.  :D  (just kidding, take as many as you want!)

An optometrist has a degree in optometry,and can perform eye examinations i.e determine spectacle prescription, fit contact lenses, check health of the eyes,and if  eye disease is detected must then  refer to an, ophthalmologist who is an eye doctor.In the U.K an optometrist can also treat some minor eye conditions and do the follow ups on glaucoma and diabetic patients.If they take extra qualifications.

Ophthalmologists  have medical degrees and can diagnose, treat eye diseases and perform surgery.They can also do eye exams if they want,most do not.Surgery is more lucrative.

An optician has a college education,but generally not a degree,they measure up the patient for frames and the lenses that go in them,(as detrmined by the optometrist,) and then fit them. They cannot do eye exminations or treat eye diseases,or perform surgery.In some cases with extra qualifications they can fit contact lenses under the supervision of an optometrist.

Finally there is a technician who makes the spectacles.

so the rough hierarchy is ,ophthalmologist,optometrist,optician, technician

Does that help?

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2008, 11:03:32 pm »
Wow, such excellent descriptions of the various levels of optical experts - thank you so very much Teri and Optom3! I hear people use these terms interchangeably all the time, but in reality, they are quite distinct. I bet this question comes up alot - thanks for helping me get it clear in my mind. And, how neat that both of you have this profession in common.

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2008, 11:27:19 pm »
Thanks! I know a lot of people get confused about the differences. A lot of people even think an optometrist isn't a real doctor. The thing I like about optical is that you always learn something new.  I like being in the lab best. I sort of fell into this profession. It wasn't something I planned at all. As much as I like it, i'm ready for something different but I don't know what.

Offline skola

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2008, 03:12:42 am »
What do you do?  I'm a Childminder, I run my own business

More than one thing? No, I work 60 hours a week as it is.

Work at home? Yes, although Home looks like a Nursery.

Seasonal work?   No, Full time

Are you doing what you wanted to do?  Yes, I only ever wanted to work with children

Would you prefer some other line of work?  Not really. but will be stopping soon, due to health reasons, I then will go to work outside the home part time training new Childminders, but not  quite yet. :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2008, 04:30:50 pm »
Skola - I admire you - I have trouble keeping my 3 nieces under control!

Offline skola

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2008, 05:23:05 pm »
Its all in the way you say things.  ;) I can be very scary to a two year old.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2008, 06:22:02 pm »
What do you do?   Local Government Officer/Web Designer & Developer

More than one thing? Yup, I work part time in local government, specialising in social housing and research and strategy making/policy, and part time self employed as a web designer/developer.

Work at home? Part of the time, yes. I'm disabled and although I do go into the office a lot, I'm also on a working from home scheme for disabled employees my employers set up and work a minimum of four days a month from home. Helps out because I don't have the hassle of getting ready and travelling to work if I'm having a bad day, and I can even work in my pyjamas! I have a connection to the server at work so I can do practically everything I do in the office from home. The web design I'm home based. We've turned the spare room into an office for me, though it's an extra living room/office really. I have a sofabed in there and often rather than sitting at the desk I lounge on the sofabed with my laptop - much more comfy!

Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly? Part time in local government - 18.5 hours a week. Web design - variable, depending on how many clients I've got, but I tend to work ridiculous hours with that and odd times of the day/night.

Are you doing what you wanted to do? I sort of accidentally ended up in local government. I originally trained as a teacher, but ended up working for a consultancy firm specialising in educational research for central government departments - both primary and secondary education, and adult education, but the role involved a lot of research and statistics work as well, and did a degree in psychology at the same time. When the company got into difficulties I decided to bail out and got myself the job in local government based on my research experience. I'd never worked in housing before, but as it was mainly the research role they wanted, they were happy to train me in the housing stuff I needed, and I went on to do the first stage of my professional housing qualifications.

About five years ago I "accidentally" ended up in web design after I volunteered myself to do a website for a voluntary organisation I helped out with, thinking "How hard can it be?" LOL! One site though and I was hooked! My first site was on the server for probably around 3 weeks, but after I posted it in the critiques section of a web design forum and got lots of comments like "It's really good for a first attempt, but...", I decided I was going to learn to do it properly, ditched Microsoft Frontpage, and started to learn to code by hand. I had one hell of a steep learning curve, and taught myself the basics from scratch, then did an 18 month university qualification learning various programming languages along the way. I love web design and I'd much rather do that than the local government work, which is tedious in the extreme, but can't risk throwing in the local government work and going full time self employed because of my health situation, because at least with the local government work I get paid if I'm off sick.

Would you prefer some other line of work?   In an ideal world I'd probably do web design more or less full time and the rest of the time concentrate on my writing. Short to medium term though I'm hoping to get out of housing and more into IT, which I find much more interesting than housing work, and I'm hoping to get some work experience in IT later this year. Anything has to be more exciting than the data input I tend to end up doing at work these days, which annoys me greatly because it's not what I was trained for, and I'm not using my qualifications and experience.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2008, 02:27:49 pm »

More than one thing? Yup, I work part time in local government, specialising in social housing and research and strategy making/policy, and part time self employed as a web designer/developer.

I work in Social Housing too Bliss! But for the central scottish goverment.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2008, 08:54:44 pm »
My commiserations Kelda.  ;) To be honest it was never an area I'd even thought about working in, and I originally got the job based on my research experience, but then as I was doing more and more housing related stuff, and my degree was in geography/psychology (the social geography bit did come in quite useful), I ended up the first stage of the Post Graduate Conversion Course with the Chartered Institute of Housing. I keep saying that one of these days I'm going to do the second stage, but given that ideally I don't want to stay in housing long-term I'm really not sure it's worth the hassle and keeping up with the CPD requirements etc. - just trying to keep on top of the government's ever changing housing policy is quite enough for me!  :laugh:

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2008, 03:58:59 pm »
- just trying to keep on top of the government's ever changing housing policy is quite enough for me!  :laugh:

Yeah I did a marketing degree and got involved in a regneration project who were using a residents panel to gain opinions, did it as a sumer job while still at uni, and thats how I snuck in the back door. So no real housing qualifications for me either!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2008, 03:53:41 pm »
Thought you folks might like to see one of my unpleasant work spaces.   It's a campus office that can be used by any faculty.    The photo of it is actually posted right now at:   http://rateyourstudents.blogspot.com

Look at the archive on the right and click on the one called "Oh, the tears."     I did not write the text for the photo, but it's funny.

You can even spot my bottle of water on the table!

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2008, 08:06:16 pm »
I'm still a college student, but I have two jobs on campus. I work in the Office of Admission, which is quite boring. I mostly do data entry for prospective students and put together packets of information to send them. My other job is in the scene shop of our theatre. I build scenery for plays, hang and focus lighting instruments, paint, and whatever other random stuff there is to do. That job is much more fun, and led to a lot more theatre involvement such as stage managing A Midsummer Night's Dream this fall. I'm pretty excited.  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2008, 06:36:14 am »
Sounds cool Courtney!

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2009, 05:57:36 am »
What do you do? 

Accounts clerk

More than one thing?

Yes

Work at home?

No

Full time 0830 to 1700

I never really knew what I wanted to do...just drifted into the first job I could get

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2009, 05:39:19 pm »
Min, great to see you bumping up these older threads!

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2009, 04:20:07 am »
Min, great to see you bumping up these older threads!

Thanks, Kelda.  There is just so much to read, and some of the older threads are so interesting, esp for us newbies who haven't been around as long as some of you... :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2009, 04:22:13 am »
well keep doing it! I love seeing these old ones!  :-*