Author Topic: What do we all do for a living?  (Read 33475 times)

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: What do we all do for a living?
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2007, 06:21:24 pm »
I have a coworker who is getting her wages garnished because she has medical bills she could not pay even with our crap insurance. If I were her, I'd be so mad at work I could not stand it.

What I would really love, is a lower patient load. Especially since we were short staffed last week. I would not turn down more money though either.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2007, 09:10:24 pm »
I think nurses around here get paid pretty well.  Maybe it's supply and demand?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2007, 03:43:17 am »
In the UK, nurses pay are pretty bad - considering what they do & that they train and go to college/uni to do the job.  >:(

While not bad compared to shop workers etc, comparing to other skilled jobs...bad.

It's the same as Nursery Nurses... my Mum was one of them.

This is basically a teacher - but for children under 5.

My Mum had to complete workplans, track childrens progress, do parents night and reports.. and she got paid £12K when she retired after being in the profession 15 years.

Teachers get paid £18K as soon as they qualify.  >:(  Personally, I don't see what difference there is in these professions - other than my Mum going to college rather than university to get her qualification.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »
I'd prefer to be earning my living from painting, but there's no money in the arts (unless you're kissing the arse of some rich gallery owner), so I've settled for being a Sunday painter, and a dreary ol' public servant during the week. That way I get to retain my dignity - and eat and keep a roof over my head too!

Hi, Kerry - You don't know me but I'm around; I just don't say much. But I saw this in a magazine just after I had been reading some of the posts here and I immediately thought of you.

"Go to Paintsquared.com, a blog by Portlander (Portland, Maine, FWIW) Elizabeth Fraser that chronicles her life through art. Each morning since January, the self-taught artist has posted a new 5"x5" oil painting on the site (one day a week she posts two) along with notes about the place that inspired it...Once the work is online, it's ready for auction on eBay, starting at $60.00 each. Some have sold for more than $200.00. 'I find that [the internet] is a great tool for people to see your work," Fraser says. Finding a way to fit artwork and computers together I think [is] something all artists should be doing'."

Maybe your Sunday painting could turn into something more than it is without jeopardizing the food in your refrigerator or the roof over your head!

(For the record, I've worked in the office of an educational non-profit for the last seven years. Most of the time I like it. I get to move around a lot most days, meaning that I'm not sitting at my desk all day, and the perks are good. We have a lot of freedom as far as what hours we work most days and don't have to worry about it if we need to make an appointment for a dentist or doctor or hair cut or whatever. We just put it on our bosses calendar and remind the other people in the office that we'll be late, or leaving early, and go. Sure there are days that we would all like to just leave and not go back but you get that just about everywhere, I think. And most of the time I feel that the work we're doing has some value, so that helps.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 07:01:17 pm by tamarack »

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2007, 09:26:02 pm »
In the UK, nurses pay are pretty bad - considering what they do & that they train and go to college/uni to do the job.  >:(

While not bad compared to shop workers etc, comparing to other skilled jobs...bad.

It's the same as Nursery Nurses... my Mum was one of them.

This is basically a teacher - but for children under 5.

My Mum had to complete workplans, track childrens progress, do parents night and reports.. and she got paid £12K when she retired after being in the profession 15 years.

Teachers get paid £18K as soon as they qualify.  >:(  Personally, I don't see what difference there is in these professions - other than my Mum going to college rather than university to get her qualification.

What is the difference between college and university?

I have been told before, but I forget.

I am a veterinarian, I work a lot, and it is what I want to do.

(I thought I posted this already... I guess it vanished in the Bermuda Triangle of Posts.  Or, I just hit "preview" so many times I forgot to push the final, "post.")
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2007, 03:15:55 am »
okay - university here is where you would get a degree.

College is where you do further education but its not a degree, so it is an institution between secondary school and university, a college of further education and adult education.

You're a vet!!

wow-o-wow! I so wanted to be that when i grew up!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2007, 08:59:14 am »
Hi, Kerry - You don't know me but I'm around; I just don't say much. But I saw this in a magazine just after I had been reading some of the posts here and I immediately thought of you.

"Go to Paintsquared.com, a blog by Portlander (Portland, Maine, FWIW) Elizabeth Fraser that chronicles her life through art. Each morning since January, the self-taught artist has posted a new 5"x5" oil painting on the site (one day a week she posts two) along with notes about the place that inspired it...Once the work is online, it's ready for auction on eBay, starting at $60.00 each. Some have sold for more than $200.00. 'I find that [the internet] is a great tool for people to see your work," Fraser says. Finding a way to fit artwork and computers together I think [is] something all artists should be doing'."

Thank you so much for posting this information about Elizabeth Fraser and paintsquared.com, Tamarack!  :D

I just now visited the site and I love the paintings!

In fact, you've got me all excited and my imagination is racing away with me, about the possibilities of selling my paintings on e-Bay!  :o

Not sure that I'll manage to be as prolific as Elizabeth, but I'll certainly give it my best shot! I'll have more time to paint next year, when I retire!  ;D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2007, 07:36:09 pm »
I'm so glad that it struck you this way, Kerry! That's what I was hoping when I saw it. The artsy people that I know are just horrible at marketing, which only makes sense, I guess, but this seemed pretty much like "not marketing" but it  would still get your work out there where people could see it and BUY it.

I don't think you should be too concerned about not being as prolific as she is. After all, her paintings are so tiny.  :) You could probably paint a normal sized picture and then cut it up and sell the pieces. I almost thought that was what she was going to say that she did - one piece a day and you buy them and re-assemble them. I've seen pictures put together like that with an inch or two in between the pieces. I like the way it looks. I guess you could stop buying the pieces whenever you wanted to and then everyone would have a different finished picture!

Anyway, I'm glad this struck a chord with you. Good luck with it!

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2007, 03:37:43 pm »
i work full time as a custodian my hours are 6:00pm - 2:30am its not really what i want to be doing but its not to bad i have alot of fun with the people i work with and the pay is good so you can't be that.  what would i rather be doing? well lets see i've decided that i like writing but thats something i just do on the side, i worked with horses once and really enjoyed that, i'm really good with animals so probably something along those lines.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2007, 11:04:13 am »
custodian? Like a prison officer?

Or i tried wikipedia and is says that in the United States, is a person that cleans and maintains large buildings?  or it can also mean a Custodian as a financial term, refers to a bank (Custodian bank), agent, or other organization responsible for safeguarding a firm's or individual's financial assets. The role of a custodian in such a case would be the following: to hold in safekeeping assets such as equities and bonds, arrange settlement of any purchases and sales of such securities, collect information on and income from such assets (dividends in the case of equities and interest in the case of bonds), provide information on the underlying companies and their annual general meetings, manage cash transactions, perform foreign exchange transactions where required and provide regular reporting on all their activities to their clients.