Author Topic: What the actual fuck is going on in the USA pre election circus???  (Read 26173 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What is going on in the USA pre election circus???
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 12:36:09 pm »
I don't know who milo is referring to when he says "we" but it's not me. I have traveled extensively throughout the world and have seen that the deeds and misdeeds of those in the U.S. can cause great hardship and suffering to people even half a world away. Plus, there is more anxiety among people looking at the U.S. political scene than there is here in the U.S. Electing the wrong leader may cause discomfort in this country but in other countries, particularly poor or struggling countries it can be a total disaster. When I traveled to Nepal in 2012, there were large gangs of young people who roamed around with no prospects and no chance of finding a job to support themselves and their families. Due to the 2008 U.S. financial collapse, a whole generation of people in many countries lost their future. It also contributed to the waves of refugees.

Even when I have visited Canada, I was anxiously asked by taxi drivers and college professors and shopkeepers whether there was any chance of Republicans getting back into power. The world over, Republicans are associated with the era of 9/11, warmaking, and recession. There is great fear in the prospect of Trump, and I expect this to lead to volatility until the election is over or he implodes, whichever comes first.

I wrote this as an expanded answer to Anke's original question of who would consider Trump a fit candidate. When I am voting for president, I vote not only for myself but for all the people in the world who will be affected by said president's decisions. Trump may be a good negotiator, but not if no one will even show up at the bargaining table or if they do with their minds already made up. I suspect there are many like Chancellor Merkel who would not be inviting him to tea anytime soon! Diplomacy is not in his vocabulary. I may be accused of being too soft in dealings with other countries but I am not looking forward to the prospect of the US being the bully on the playground.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: What is going on in the USA pre election circus???
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 11:36:56 pm »
I wrote this as an expanded answer to Anke's original question of who would consider Trump a fit candidate. When I am voting for president, I vote not only for myself but for all the people in the world who will be affected by said president's decisions. Trump may be a good negotiator, but not if no one will even show up at the bargaining table or if they do with their minds already made up. I suspect there are many like Chancellor Merkel who would not be inviting him to tea anytime soon! Diplomacy is not in his vocabulary. I may be accused of being too soft in dealings with other countries but I am not looking forward to the prospect of the US being the bully on the playground.

This is the USA we're talking about. Merkel has a job to do. Dealing with the USA is part of her job. Just like the rest of us, she doesn't have to like the people with whom she works. None of us get to pick and choose.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What the actual fuck is going on in the USA pre election circus???
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 11:14:56 pm »
Your comment reminds me of all the times I thought, during the past seven years, that the U.S. Congress had to do their job no matter whether they liked the president or not. They were elected to do a job, so do it!! But it didn't work out that way.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 11:51:28 am »
Your comment reminds me of all the times I thought, during the past seven years, that the U.S. Congress had to do their job no matter whether they liked the president or not. They were elected to do a job, so do it!! But it didn't work out that way.

no, it sure didn't

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 12:04:52 pm »
The party of "hell, no" might just get a rude awakening, come November.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 09:46:08 pm »

It had nothing to with liking the man. It had everything to do with the flaws in his policies.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 09:49:09 pm »
The party of "hell, no" might just get a rude awakening, come November.

They have already had their awakening. Their voters have handed them the nominee that the voters wanted, not the man that the party wanted. If only the Democrats had done the same.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 12:49:29 am »
Why is this topic in the BBM open forum?