Author Topic: Did I miss it?  (Read 5311 times)

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Did I miss it?
« on: May 02, 2006, 02:40:25 pm »
Hey all,
maybe it's already been questioned, but after reviewing BBM for the 9th time - actually 2nd on my DVD - I still have been unable to hear Ennis refer to Jack as "little darlin", as it happens in the short story when the two reunite in Riverton for the first time.
Did I miss it or is it really missing in the movie? Thanks,
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Did I miss it?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 02:47:55 pm »
It's not in the movie. It's only in the short story.
In the movie Ennis says "later".

Offline luigival

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 02:57:48 pm »
Thank you for confirming me that Penthesilea,
I was quite sure it was not in the movie. Pity, as it would have underlined the feelings Ennis had for Jack. He used that way of saying - the deepest way of articulating some sort of loving words - only with his daughters (and his cows...)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 03:32:14 pm »

IMO, what Movie Ennis says instead of say "lil darlin" is whisper "hey, c'mere" -- outside the apartment before going in to meet Alma.

Offline luigival

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 03:40:15 pm »

IMO, what Movie Ennis says instead of say "lil darlin" is whisper "hey, c'mere" -- outside the apartment before going in to meet Alma.

Thanks for this further point: not easy catching all the words whispered in those scenes.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 03:58:39 pm »
No. I'd have never heard it myself if someone hadn't sent out an audio clip of it a while back. But if you crank up the volume you can hear it.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 04:25:19 pm »
"Lil darlin" doesn't sound like something movie Ennis would say in comparison with book Ennis.  Heck, he's not even romantic enough to confide to Jack that he must have it wrung it hundred times thinkin about ya. Now that's romantic.  :) 

Then again, that last statement might have been edited out of the screenplay for our puritanical moive goers.  If they ever make this into a play, I hope the script does include some lingo left out of the movie, but was in the book. Of course, there is some great dialog in the film not in the book. Now who on here is a good playwright?  Anyone bother to volunteer. Becky??  Jeff Wrangler??  ;) Personally, I'd ax Cassie and have more Jack, i.e. Jack having a dream sequence where he and Ennis take a road trip.  Of course, it would be too out of character for book/movie Ennis so it would have to be a fantasy of Jack's doing.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 04:46:36 pm »
But if you crank up the volume you can hear it
If you do have the DVD. You US folks are lucky. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive  :P
But on the other side: in Germany it's still in the theatres. And I will see it at least one more time on the big srceen before it leaves theatres.

Offline luigival

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 02:55:24 pm »
"Lil darlin" doesn't sound like something movie Ennis would say in comparison with book Ennis.  Heck, he's not even romantic enough to confide to Jack that he must have it wrung it hundred times thinkin about ya. Now that's romantic.  :) 

Good points Kd5000. I should re-read the short story myself and make out all the subtle differences between movie and book Ennis.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 10:48:20 pm »
Interestingly, he does call Alma Jr. "darlin" in the scene when they're are out with Cassie and Cassie makes Ennis dance with her in front of Alma Jr.  Ennis says something like "excuse me darlin".  Back on imdb I remember the idea with the omission of this endearment addressed to Jack in the reunion scene, yes had to do with the idea that it would be out of character a bit for film-Ennis, and because it would be hard to convey the idea that he only used "little darlin" to refer to his horses, daughters and Jack in the film.  That cute detail is easier and more seamless to explain in writing/ in the book.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline luigival

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 03:27:30 pm »

He used that way of saying - the deepest way of articulating some sort of loving words - only with his daughters (and his cows...)

Back on imdb I remember the idea with the omission of this endearment addressed to Jack in the reunion scene, yes had to do with the idea that it would be out of character a bit for film-Ennis, and because it would be hard to convey the idea that he only used "little darlin" to refer to his horses, daughters and Jack in the film.

Right Amanda, you're a very cute observer, and your observations are all very much punctual (as always). And I shall make a correction, as I stated "cows" while they were "horses". Sorry!