Author Topic: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???  (Read 91160 times)

injest

Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« on: July 15, 2007, 12:18:20 am »
 :laugh: :laugh:

(I always loved that line from Cheers!)

so..what ARE you reading? Do you read?

Talking about BOOKS...real books...remember those?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:22:10 am »
I'm getting ready to read Harry Potter! I'm waiting for it to arrive at my house. Right now, I'm not reading anything Jess.

What you reading?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 12:24:01 am »
I am currently reading Bob Newhart's autobiography "I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This" It is good...interesting and typical Newhart amusing...very dry humor.

and

"Chosen By A Horse" by Susan Richards

this is a memoir about a recovering alcoholic with an abusive background rescuing a racehorse. It is very funny to me because I recognize so much of what she goes thru with the horses she owns...and painful because she hits home on a lot of the things she says.

One of the things she says is that she carried a secret with her for a long time. Inside she called herself a writer although she had never written anything.....she had been calling herself a writer since she was seven! (I have been calling myself a writer since the second grade)

a good book. I would recommend it.

injest

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 12:25:13 am »
I'm getting ready to read Harry Potter! I'm waiting for it to arrive at my house. Right now, I'm not reading anything Jess.

What you reading?

hey!! thank you for posting so quick!!

You are not gonna be at the bookstore at midnight Friday??!! :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 12:28:05 am »

No, I ordered mine off Amazon, so it will be mailed to me. I hope it gets here on time! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 12:29:27 am »

You know I love you Jess!   :-*

injest

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 12:31:29 am »
{{{David}}}

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 01:03:39 am »
I confess that I can sometimes be caught reading fluffy books.  I'm a fan of a few romance/romantic suspense writers - Nora Roberts' High Noon was just released and I'm halfway through.  For a long time, it was good escapist reading, but I'm not nearly as into it as I was pre-Brokeback.

I'm looking forward to Suzanne Brockmann's new release - Force of Nature - her gay FBI agent - Jules Cassidy - has another major subplot, maybe even a happily-ever-after!!  :D  That's a huge step in the romance novel genre - she's breaking ground!

I am also very much into noir - both the classics like Hammett and Chandler and the contemporary writers of crime fiction - Michael Connelly is my favorite, but I also enjoy Robert Crais, Dennis Lehane, like that.  I've recently finished Connelly's The Overlook and a collection of short stories by different authors entitled Los Angeles Noir.

I think what fascinates me about noir is how integral the setting is to the story.  It's similar to Brokeback Mountain in that sense.  For me, Sam Spade no more could have existed outside 1930's San Francisco than Jack and Ennis could have outside 1963+ Wyoming.  Yet their stories speak to me and are timeless.  There's the real mystery...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 01:09:35 am »
I love fluff...I read for escape and amusement. I occassionally read heavier stuff but mostly I read lighter fare!

Just read Pride and Prejudice last year at the recommendation of a friend I met online...but never been into the classics much. I do like Sci fi...especially short stories.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 01:36:19 am »
I love fluff...I read for escape and amusement. I occassionally read heavier stuff but mostly I read lighter fare!

Just read Pride and Prejudice last year at the recommendation of a friend I met online...but never been into the classics much. I do like Sci fi...especially short stories.

Very cool, Jess.  I'm the same way.  My minor was southern American literature so I've read my share of heavy stuff - that's how I decided Truman had to be my new best friend when I first noticed him!  ::) ;)  His signature line was sporting a quote from Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood so I impressed terrified him with my BBM/O'Connor tattoo analysis!  :laugh: :laugh:  Very glad now he didn't write me off as a total nutjob! (er...or I think he hasn't  :laugh: )

Pride and Prejudice is still in the ToBeRead pile - I can't get into it.  Same goes for Dickens - my oldest friend is a huge Dickens fan and she cannot understand why I can't read him.  One day I'll be able to - it's funny how you really have to be in the right place for some things.  Crime and Punishment got me through my first flight after 9/11.  And actually it helped me to resolve some of my feelings over that horrible day.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 01:41:42 am »
Jess - when you get some time, post some of top fave Sci Fi reads - I haven't read much of it and wouldn't know where to start, but I'm always out of something to read.  I *love* Douglas Adams, though - Hitchhiker's Guide should be required reading, IMO.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 04:09:15 am »
I hear people suggest Robert Crais a lot - I haven't read him yet, but I did put one of his books on a 'Summer Reading' table today.

Right now I'm reading Thomas Savage's 'Power of the Dog' and quite enjoying it.  Terse narrative and at least on strange western character (Phil Burbank, one of the brothers who is at the center of the novel).

I'd like to read Orhan Pamuk's 'Snow' - I read 'My Name is Red' and liked that a lot (although the way the narrator switched from chapter to chapter was very confusing).

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 05:41:11 am »
I'm reading Bill Bryson's the Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid!!!!

Bill Bryson is my favorite writer. You cannot read his books in Public Transport, because you would make a fool out of yourself by laughing so hard and not being able to stop! LOL!

This book is about him growing up in Des Moines in the 50's. God, my boyfriend is so fed up with me now, I cannot stop laughing hysterically at it.

Has anyone ever read anything by Bill Bryson?

:)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 09:14:25 am »
I hear people suggest Robert Crais a lot - I haven't read him yet, but I did put one of his books on a 'Summer Reading' table today.

Hey there, Michael!
If I were you, I'd start with LA Requiem or The Two Minute Rule.  Crais has matured with age!  I'll make a note of the others to add to my list...
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 10:40:32 am »
Here's some great summer reading:  Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin. 

It's sort of an epilogue to the six, very popular Tales of the City books that he wrote in the 70s and 80s.  (The first three were turned into TV miniseries with Olympia Dukakis and Laura Linney.)  The original stories were written in old-fashioned serial form in the San Francisco Chronicle, one little chapter a day, later compiled into books.  I have a beat-up legal file full of clippings that would become Further Tales of the City.

I was fortunate to meet him at Harvard in the 80s and he signed my book "to Paul love, Armistead".  :)

The story picks up almost twenty years since the last one, Sure of You.  Michael is 55, has found new love with a younger man.  Maupin works in all the other characters to a greater or lesser extent.  Michael is dealing with the older and younger generations in his life.  Hilarious and moving.  I don't want it to end, because I fear it's necessarily the last one. 

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 10:54:16 am »
I read constantly.  Just finished re-reading a book on General Armstrong Custer's last stand (forgot the name/author of the book) that I consider a very excellent and interesting read and have picked up again Crack in the World about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:27:39 pm by delalluvia »

injest

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 10:59:10 am »
I like memoirs and stories of real events...

mvansand76

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 02:51:42 pm »

It's sort of an epilogue to the six, very popular Tales of the City books that he wrote in the 70s and 80s.  (The first three were turned into TV miniseries with Olympia Dukakis and Laura Linney.)  The original stories were written in old-fashioned serial form in the San Francisco Chronicle, one little chapter a day, later compiled into books.  I have a beat-up legal file full of clippings that would become Further Tales of the City.

I was fortunate to meet him at Harvard in the 80s and he signed my book "to Paul love, Armistead".  :)

The story picks up almost twenty years since the last one, Sure of You.  Michael is 55, has found new love with a younger man.  Maupin works in all the other characters to a greater or lesser extent.  Michael is dealing with the older and younger generations in his life.  Hilarious and moving.  I don't want it to end, because I fear it's necessarily the last one. 

Oh I love the Tales of the City books, I read them all in one month I think but it was years and years ago! It was then that I also saw the series and before that I met Marcus D'Amico who played Mouse on the tube in London!  :D

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 03:20:24 pm »
I read constantly.  Just finished re-reading a book on General Armstrong Custer's last stand (forgot the name/author fo the book) that I consider a very excellent and interesting read and have picked up again Crack in the World about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

Being a librarian in the Bay Area I'm aware of a whole plethora of books that came out last year for the 100 year anniversary of the quake - one (which I haven't read) is '1906' by James Dalessandro. 

One of my favorite books that takes place in this era in San Francisco is 'The Barbary plague : the Black Death in Victorian San Francisco' by Marilyn Chase.  It's about the politics surrounding Bubonic Plague in San Francisco at the turn of the century - particularly regarding the racism towards the Chinese here.  And there is a whole world of information about how San Francisco changed due to the plague - there was originally a poultry industry in the South of Market neighborhood that moved north.  I was also interested that the endemic plague that exists in the Southwest originally came from this infestation in San Francisco.

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 03:21:49 pm »
Hey there, Michael!
If I were you, I'd start with LA Requiem or The Two Minute Rule.  Crais has matured with age!  I'll make a note of the others to add to my list...
-Lynne

Hi Lynne!  Welcome to the Bay Area and thanks for the recommendation!

Dagi

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 04:17:13 pm »

I loved Michael Tolliver Lives, and the Tales of the City, too, read them one right after the other when I had to stay in bed because of premature labour and needed some light, amusing stuff.

The last book I finished was Maurice, a really great novel written by e. M. Forster many decades ago, about three gay/bi men in England 1914 and their coming to terms with their sexuality (one of the most beautiful love stories I´ve ever read).

Just now I´m reading the Hitchhiker´s Guide to the Galaxy, a real classic, and I love the dry humor of Douglas Adams.
I should definitely spend more time reading, and less in front of the computer  ::).

Dagi

injest

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 05:35:02 pm »
"To love without an echo is the death knell of the soul. Foolishly, the soulless body grows anyway, marches into the future without its nucleus, without its self, bonsaied by this echoless love."

Chosen by a Horse
Susan Richards

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 08:59:33 pm »
I just finished a Japanese mystery set in 17th century Japan.    It was called Red Chrysanthemum: A Thriller and was written by Laura Joh Rowland.                                               

She's a good writer and definitely knows alot about Japanese history.  Tokugawa Japan seems to have had alot of man to adolescent male sex based on her books! It's usually the villain who engages in this practice.  I guess it was common in Tokugawa Japan.

I advise starting from the beginning as starting midway might be confusing.    The major characters are the same throughout the books.

I've certainly learned alot about Japanese history from reading her books. 

Anybody heard about the THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB movie.  Does your bookgroup imitate the characters in Jane Austen novels. Sounds like an interesting concept for a movie ;)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 09:40:38 pm »
I like memoirs and stories of real events...

Me, too.  Ah, found the book about Custer.  It's called Son of the Morning Star; Custer and the Little Bighorn.  I strongly recommend this book.  It's written in a style that I adore.  It starts during the battle, then backtracks and sidetracks, telling little backstories about no-name soldiers who survived the peripheral battles but who had trouble later in life, died old and happy in Brooklyn, stories of the natives, their cultures, along with bits and pieces from Custer's life.  It's a wonderfully entertaining read.

By Michaelflanaganf  - Being a librarian in the Bay Area I'm aware of a whole plethora of books that came out last year for the 100 year anniversary of the quake - one (which I haven't read) is '1906' by James Dalessandro. 

One of my favorite books that takes place in this era in San Francisco is 'The Barbary plague : the Black Death in Victorian San Francisco' by Marilyn Chase.  It's about the politics surrounding Bubonic Plague in San Francisco at the turn of the century - particularly regarding the racism towards the Chinese here.  And there is a whole world of information about how San Francisco changed due to the plague - there was originally a poultry industry in the South of Market neighborhood that moved north.  I was also interested that the endemic plague that exists in the Southwest originally came from this infestation in San Francisco.

Crack in the Edge of the World is a bit drier than I prefer, but it still has a core of very interesting reading.  My favorite little trivia tidbit is how Charles Richter –  he of the Richter Scale – was a vegetarian and a nudist and – from all his writings – quite a playboy who had innumerable conquests and ‘varied’ sexual activities.

As a friend of mine said, “Ah, why we love Californians…”

Thanks for the recommendation of The Barbary Plague.  Just my type of reading.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:23:41 am by delalluvia »

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 11:54:20 pm »
I'm reading Bloodthirsty Bitches and Pious Pimps of Power by Gerry Spence, non-fiction.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 12:22:29 am »
I just finished a Japanese mystery set in 17th century Japan.    It was called Red Chrysanthemum: A Thriller and was written by Laura Joh Rowland.                                               

She's a good writer and definitely knows alot about Japanese history.  Tokugawa Japan seems to have had alot of man to adolescent male sex based on her books! It's usually the villain who engages in this practice.  I guess it was common in Tokugawa Japan.

I advise starting from the beginning as starting midway might be confusing.    The major characters are the same throughout the books.

I've certainly learned alot about Japanese history from reading her books.

OK, I thought the name sounded familiar.  Yes, I read about 4-5 Sano Ichiro mysteries by Rowland before I got behind and haven't caught up yet.  Boy, she's written a lot since I left off.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 12:28:18 am »
I'm reading Bloodthirsty Bitches and Pious Pimps of Power by Gerry Spence, non-fiction.

From an Amazon reader review:

"One of Spence's more worrisome themes is the parallel between Nazi Germany and the U.S. today. Goebels' primary rules were: "Never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; focus on a few simple points and repeat them over and over; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one (it only has to seem true), and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it." Spence also points out that Hitler's verbiage emphasized his being a Christian and hatred for liberals...."

Just goes to show, propaganda works regardless of who is using it.

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 05:05:26 am »
Quote from: delalluvia link=topic=11269.msg223853#msg223853
Thanks for the recommendation of [u
The Barbary Plague.[/u]  Just my type of reading.

You bet.  Another non-fiction book I found very compelling was 'Hellfire Nation: The Politics of Sin In America' by James Morone.  It's a fascinating look at how two competing religious impulses - puritanical and social gospel - have fought in the public square.  It traces the history of moral politics all the way from the colonies to the 60s.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:32 pm »
Right now I'm reading:

American Fascists:  The Christian Right and the War on America by Chris Hedges.

I just started it but it's very enjoyable, comprehensive, educational and non-sensational.  The author explains how the  American Christian Right fits the classic definition of a Fascist movement.  What's interesting is that the author is a person of faith (Presbyterian) which is a nice change because lately all I've been reading are books by Atheists, lol!  Anyway, I highly recommend it to anyone who is disturbed by the growing Christian fundamentalist movement.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 09:40:59 am »
As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann.  It's an erotic tale of passions and obsessions set against the back drop of Civil War in Seventeenth Century England.  It's intense expecially the homo-erotic love scenes.  Whew!   

After this I hope to cool down by reading the new Harry Potter.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

injest

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 06:52:34 pm »
As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann.  It's an erotic tale of passions and obsessions set against the back drop of Civil War in Seventeenth Century England.  It's intense expecially the homo-erotic love scenes.  Whew!   

After this I hope to cool down by reading the new Harry Potter.

*sound of thunder as the entire population of Bettermost charge to the bookstore to buy "As Meat Loves Salt"*

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 09:25:57 pm »
*sound of thunder as the entire population of Bettermost charge to the bookstore to buy "As Meat Loves Salt"*

[thunder thunder]

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 12:23:16 pm »

Bill Bryson is my favorite writer. You cannot read his books in Public Transport, because you would make a fool out of yourself by laughing so hard and not being able to stop! LOL!

This book is about him growing up in Des Moines in the 50's. God, my boyfriend is so fed up with me now, I cannot stop laughing hysterically at it.

Oh my god, I must have read ALL of Bryson's books! My favourite of his remains "The Lost Continent" about his travels through America. I just finished "Thunderbolt kid" but must say I was disappointed.

I have just started a book by Jay MacInerney around 9/11 called "The Good Life". I have read plenty of good reviews of this book but am finding it hard to really get into it - too many characters right from the beginning, and they mostly seem to be minor characters. I'll keep trying anyhow. Has anyone managed to read it all? Is it worth it?
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 01:36:39 pm »
just finished "I Had to Say Something" by Mike Jones with Sam Gallegos, about the outing of Ted Haggard, excellent story. Excellent points he makes and his journey thru the process is amazing.

Now reading "Evening" by Susan Minot, on pg 5 and am already in love witht he story and the way she tells it. Will read it then see the movie (Thanks Focus Features)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 02:26:11 pm »
             Well I have been in the middle of Harry Potter for the last two days, and am finishing it up..No spoilers here for those who have not read it..But I have mentioned it before that my grandaughter and I have been reading it together for all these years...She is finished, and said for me to get back to it in order that we might discuss it..But I just wanted to post her report in her blog.  I think it is worth reading for those who have yet to read it and are sad at the

The end of an era...
I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows last night. I expected to be devastated when it was over; half of my life was spent following Harry on his quest to save the world from the evils of prejudice and hatred. Everyone knows that there's always a feeling of let-down at the end of a book, ESPECIALLY if it was a good one. Well, in the end, I do feel that let-down a bit. But it is not going to be too hard to deal with. In fact, I woke up this morning feeling vitally renewed and ready to move on.

People may mock me for this, but I feel like finishing this series marks a revolution in my life as well as in Ron's, Hermione's, and of course Harry's. I am not stupid. I recognize that Harry, Hogwarts, the Ministry of Magic, the Weasleys, all of it, are not real, but they have been my sanctuary for years; and in a very special and even unique way, they were real to me. I pity anyone who tries to tell me that I was too invested in this fictional world. Just because you don't understand how I feel does not mean that my sentiments are not valid or meaningful.

I would not dream of telling how the story ends (I was unfortunate enough to have that happen to me...), but I will say that it was quite satisfying. I feel as though JK Rowling outdid herself in putting an end to the world's adventures with Harry Potter and his heroic friends. I commend JK Rowling on a job well done. I could have hoped for little more from the final installment of the adventures of Harry Potter. I would not have dared to hope that I could feel this good about the end of my adventures with them, but I do. As I said, it has helped me to realize the end/beginning of an era in my own life.

I'm not in high school anymore. I've known this for years, don't get me wrong. But now, I'm going to be a junior in college, and I am finally starting to recognize what this means. I feel like I came of age right alongside my good friend Harry Potter (I know some would call me childish, but I truly do not care). He was almost 18. I am 20.

I have loved amazing people, seen friends live happily, move on, move away, and even pass away. I have changed a lot since my first adventure with Harry when I was 12 years old. I'm no longer "Little Miss 4.0." My goals in life have changed drastically. I am in love with a man, and would love nothing more than to marry him and have little blonde versions of him running all around us (he was such a cute baby. 8-P….and I'm young, this sentiment may change too). I'm no longer bitter or afraid of people and slightly less cynical than I was two years ago. I like to jump out of airplanes, and I am most certainly going to see the world.

As much as I desperately want to be a part of Harry's magical world (I don't think this will ever go away; it is such an awe-inspiring world), I am now content with my own. Remarkably, somewhere along the way, while Harry and I were growing up....I quit NEEDING him. I quit needing a place to go where magic is real, the end is never really the end, and love really does conquer all. Hiding is no longer necessary; reading about the wizarding world is just a peaceful and fun way to pass the time. It doesn't really matter whether this revolution has anything to do with Harry Potter itself. It is very likely that I could have had the same reaction to The Iron Ring, The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, or any other such tale.

In the end, though, it was Harry who I grew up with. It was Harry who I learned from and with. It's Harry who I now say goodbye to as I have with many good friends who I have watched leave.

Today is a new day, and it seems just right for some evolution, don't you think?

posted by K @ 11:53 AM   0 comments  

is being the end.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 03:51:05 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

injest

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 01:41:31 am »
aw, Janice. What a special young lady.

Congratulations.... ;)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 02:17:29 am »
Janice--Your granddaughter's blog about Harry Potter is great--I loved reading it. She's quite a writer!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mvansand76

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 08:18:24 am »
Oh Janice, that was wonderful!

Especially loved this:

I pity anyone who tries to tell me that I was too invested in this fictional world. Just because you don't understand how I feel does not mean that my sentiments are not valid or meaningful.

I agree wholeheartedly with that because it's the same feeling I have with BBM and the way we here are all invested in it!

Thanks for posting... wish her the best of luck from all of us...

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 11:40:08 am »
Janice, what a lovely girl your Granddaughter is  ;D  You must be very proud!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 08:23:14 pm »
Good for your granddaughter. 

Just because a character/world is fictional doesn't make the lessons they learn/display and the hardshps the characters undergo any less meaningful for the reader/viewer.  Human/life experiences - whether lived by reality TV people or characters in a book/movie/comic/TV show - do not change and we can all be affected by them in very life-affirming positive ways.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 04:00:41 pm »

Thank you all on behalf of my glorious, and wonderful grandaughter.  And yes I am as proud of her as it is humanly or wizardly possible to be...

Thanks to:  Jess, Shasta, Mel, Dottie, and Delallvia.  She is very grateful for
all of your sweet words.                         proudest gma in the world  janice

Beautiful mind

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 08:39:03 pm »
What a fantastic writer Janice!
I know you must be so proud.
I haven't read the Saga of Harry and Hogwarts but I know how the fans must feel! Ecspecially after reading that eloquent report!
This line really jumped out to me!
in a very special and even unique way, they were real to me. I pity anyone who tries to tell me that I was too invested in this fictional world. Just because you don't understand how I feel does not mean that my sentiments are not valid or meaningful

I think you know what that brings to mind! LOL
Bravo!
That was a wonderfully well written piece!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

mvansand76

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2007, 05:45:43 pm »
This line really jumped out to me!
I think you know what that brings to mind! LOL
Bravo!
That was a wonderfully well written piece!

That's the same line that jumped out for me, Lee, it's the same with our 'obsession' with Brokeback, isn't it?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2007, 08:16:46 pm »
That's the same line that jumped out for me, Lee, it's the same with our 'obsession' with Brokeback, isn't it?

It Sure is!
I thought that summed it up well!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 01:11:13 am »
I am now reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which is quietly devastating.  Very spare, lean writing.  I sat down with it today and read 120 pages right off the bat.  It's digest sized, with a lot of short bits of dialogue and spaces between paragraphs, but that's still quite a lot for me to read in one sitting.   

As far as I can tell, it's about a man and his son wandering through what appears to be a post-nuclear wasteland.

It cannot possibly end well.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 01:27:14 am »
Just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and am now starting Nora Roberts High Noon.....a little romance and suspense is a good thing  ;)  ;D

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2007, 05:23:54 pm »
Okay, I made it through The Road.  It actually allowed the reader a glimmer of hope, thank goodness.

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 02:51:11 am »
I just finished 'Don't Get Too Comfortable' by David Rakoff while on vacation.  I love to read essays while I'm traveling - and Rakoff (who has been on 'This American Life') is clever to the point of making me laugh out loud (several times).  This collection includes essays on his becoming an American citizen (he was born in Canada), watching people out front of 'The Today Show' and runway models in Paris - a disparate group, to be sure, but somehow it works.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2007, 12:09:19 am »
I just finished a non fiction book called Fleeing Fundamentalism by Carlene Cross, who had been a Fundie minister's wife for a while until some enlightenment occurred after many years of struggle.  She held onto some faith but left behing the extremism and dogmatism.

I am about to read some more work by Cormac McCarthy (fiction).

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2007, 11:36:27 pm »
I am currently easing through some of my favorite books: the Gossip Girl books! I love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. They're light and entertaining/amusing as hell, and Cecily Von Ziegesar is doing a really impressive job developing the characters. Blair Waldorf is a brilliantly written character: she's a mean-spirited and abrasive young woman who can be contemptuous toward others because she's discontent, angsty, and insecure. She is obsessed with Audrey Hepburn - she wants to be Audrey Hepburn, and I love that touch because it's a detail that's one of the inner-most recesses of her mind. Audrey is who she envies. She imagines her life is a movie, like so many people I know who tend to make their lives more dramatic than they really are. Because they're bored and unhappy and they have no idea why.

I loved the final Harry Potter except for that crappy epilogue. The Kite Runner was really affecting and quite good.

The next book on my to-read list though is Memoirs of a Geisha. I'm stoked.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2007, 07:18:10 pm »
I just borrowed Ian McEwan's Black Dogs.    I remember seeing the movie Enduring Love, a tale of obsession; he had written the novel it was based on.

I have ordered a copy of some weird thing Stephen King recommends called The Mad Cook of Pymatuning.   Cool title, eh?

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2007, 10:31:38 pm »
I'm also reading a sort of post-apocalyptic book called The Pesthouse, by Jim Crace.   Pretty good stuff so far.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2007, 12:43:09 pm »
I just started reading Yukio Mishima's Confessions of a Mask. I haven't read him in years, his writing style reminds me of Truman Capote's, I love it!

I also just started Naomi Klein's  The Shock Doctrine: the Rise of Disaster Capitalism .  So far, I'm finding it a bit dry compared to her No Logo which was a real page turner

Before that, I read A Complicated Kindness a coming of age story set in a Canadian Mennonite community.  A wonderful book! 

Also, I recently read Barbara Gowdy's latest novel, Helpless.  I love her stuff!

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 12:02:50 am »
I just read....

1. The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. I heard bad and good reviews of the movie. I remember these books from when I was little, though. They are great.

2. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Another excellent book by him.

3. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. Probably the most relevant (to here) of those three. Funny, I didn't know he was gay, even though I always see at least one of his books on display everywhere.....anyway, the book was great. It's a collection of essays - more like real life stories - his family (growing up, etc) and some about him and his partner Hugh. One reviewer said "hilarious, fun, and sad." Which is pretty much true. But overall upbeat. I think now I will have to read more of him...

Anyway, one of the best essays is "Hejira". It's when his Dad kicks him out, which HE thinks is for smoking pot all the time, but he learned later it was really for being gay...Hejira is the name of the Join Mitchell album he was (supposedly) listening to when it happened. The word Hejira is a transliteration of the arabic word hijira, meaning "migration." So you decide if he was really listening to that, or just thought it was symbolic. Anyway, the story's like 2-3 (short) pages....so next time you're in the bookstore grab the book and read it!

...it is life, more than death, that is without limits.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2007, 02:02:27 am »
I am currently re-reading Ray Bradbury's "The Halloween Tree"

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2007, 05:34:25 pm »
Born On a Blue Day.

This unique first-person account offers a window into the mind of a high-functioning, 27-year-old British autistic savant with Asperger's syndrome. Tammet's ability to think abstractly, deviate from routine, and empathize, interact and communicate with others is impaired, yet he's capable of incredible feats of memorization and mental calculation. Besides being able to effortlessly multiply and divide huge sums in his head with the speed and accuracy of a computer, Tammet, the subject of the 2005 documentary Brainman, learned Icelandic in a single week and recited the number pi up to the 22,514th digit, breaking the European record. He also experiences synesthesia, an unusual neurological syndrome that enables him to experience numbers and words as "shapes, colors, textures and motions." Tammet traces his life from a frustrating, withdrawn childhood and adolescence to his adult achievements, which include teaching in Lithuania, achieving financial independence with an educational Web site and sustaining a long-term romantic relationship. As one of only about 50 people living today with synesthesia and autism, Tammet's condition is intriguing to researchers; his ability to express himself clearly and with a surprisingly engaging tone (given his symptoms) makes for an account that will intrigue others as well.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2007, 07:54:00 pm »
I am reading an old gay classic called THE FRONT RUNNER (1974) by Patricia Nell Warren.  It was a real ground breaker when it came out.  There's been talk of making this into a movie for many nears.  Paul Newman even expressed interest decades ago.  Now it's scheduled for release in  2009 (per IMDB.com).  I read on the msg boards  "do we need another gay tragedy love story in light of BBM??"  So I was curious to see how closely the tragedy in THE FRONT RUNNER has already been "expressed" in BBM.   Of course, it's set in the same time period of BBM, late 1960's, the 1970s'.  However, it's the world of college sports, not the rural west.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2007, 08:07:11 pm »
I'm reading Beyond Brokeback, the Impact of a film.
It is fantastic. It really helps me to see how not alone I am in my experience.
It is heartbreaking though. There is so much pain we have had to endure as a collective group all because of how we are made.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2007, 09:31:02 pm »
Currently reading: The Night Watch by one of my fave authors: Sarah Waters.

[sarahwaters.com]:
Moving back through the 1940s, through air raids, blacked out streets, illicit liaisons, sexual adventure, to end with its beginning in 1941, The Night Watch is the work of a truly brilliant and compelling storyteller.

This is the story of four Londoners - three women and a young man with a past, drawn with absolute truth and intimacy. Kay, who drove an ambulance during the war and lived life at full throttle, now dresses in mannish clothes and wanders the streets with a restless hunger, searching ... Helen, clever, sweet, much-loved, harbours a painful secret ...Viv, glamour girl, is stubbornly, even foolishly loyal, to her soldier lover ... Duncan, an apparent innocent, has had his own demons to fight during the war. Their lives, and their secrets connect in sometimes startling ways. War leads to strange alliances ...

I love the way she writes and just how tangible her descriptions are.  A great read so far.  :)

injest

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2007, 06:48:43 am »
I am reading an old gay classic called THE FRONT RUNNER (1974) by Patricia Nell Warren.  It was a real ground breaker when it came out.  There's been talk of making this into a movie for many nears.  Paul Newman even expressed interest decades ago.  Now it's scheduled for release in  2009 (per IMDB.com).  I read on the msg boards  "do we need another gay tragedy love story in light of BBM??"  So I was curious to see how closely the tragedy in THE FRONT RUNNER has already been "expressed" in BBM.   Of course, it's set in the same time period of BBM, late 1960's, the 1970s'.  However, it's the world of college sports, not the rural west.

huh...well, do we need another tragic straight love story in light of "Titanic"?

or another monster movie in light of "Creature of the Black Lagoon"?

or another war movie in light of "Private Ryan"?

or another happy straight love story in light of "Sleepless in Seattle"?

or another coming of age story in light of "Stand By Me"?

or another story of the love of an animal in light of "The Black Stallion"?

shall I go on?

If we are only gonna have one of each genre, the movie industry will be a very limited one..

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2007, 01:54:38 pm »

huh...well, do we need another tragic straight love story in light of "Titanic"?

or another monster movie in light of "Creature of the Black Lagoon"?

or another war movie in light of "Private Ryan"?

or another happy straight love story in light of "Sleepless in Seattle"?

or another coming of age story in light of "Stand By Me"?

or another story of the love of an animal in light of "The Black Stallion"?

shall I go on?

If we are only gonna have one of each genre, the movie industry will be a very limited one..

Nicely said Jess!!  :-*

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2007, 02:28:33 pm »
"Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Brilliant.

And funny!

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2007, 07:18:11 pm »
Believe it or not I am reading The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales and having the best time  ;D .  Bob bought me this beautiful copy so we could get ready for our little bundle of joy...when ever she arrives.    I just finished Suzanne Brockmann's " All Through the Night"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2007, 11:56:30 pm »
OK, so far this fall I've read:

Pagan Holiday by Tony Perrottet - travelogue of a man and his pregnant wife as they do a tour of Mediterranean areas that were hit by ancient Roman/Greek tourists 2000 years ago.  Amusing and interesting read.

The Looking Glass Wars - Scholastic book - by Frank Beddor a new take on the Alice in Wonderland books where Alice is Alyss a princess escaping from her devastated homeland - Wonderland - with the help of her albino tutor and her bodyguard Hatter Madigan.  Had it been more in depth with better characterization, it would have been a must read.

Imperium by Robert Harris - same guy who did Pompeii, Enigma, Archangel, Fatherland and the book about Hitler's diaries.  Interesting, but it did not draw me in as well as Pompeii did.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins - well argued as usual, but still a bit dry.

The Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd - I tend to like to read books by women who've made religious conversions away from conventional religions.  This one was very accessible and sympathetic.

Long Way Round by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman & Robert Uhlig - a guilty pleasure.  The story of their trip around the world on motorcycles.  I wanted to read about one of my favorite actors in real life situations to see if I would even like the man if I met him.  Yep,  ;D but he's high maintenance.  A true artist, emotive, tempermental, moody and with a great heart surrounding his devil-may-care attitude.

Lord John and Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon.  Main character is a gay man in 18th century London, he's a noble, soldier and his is a mystery series but what I love about this series is that his journey toward solving the mystery and the people he meets turn out to be more important to him - and the reader - than solving the mystery.

injest

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2007, 12:10:42 am »
I saw Ewan on the Tonight Show...he was saying when he came thru Oklahoma he tried to stay at a Holiday Inn and they wouldn't rent him a room because of how he looked... :laugh: :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2007, 12:16:53 am »
I saw Ewan on the Tonight Show...he was saying when he came thru Oklahoma he tried to stay at a Holiday Inn and they wouldn't rent him a room because of how he looked... :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Yep, he was very gracious about it on TV, even accepting the free hotel stay voucher offered him by the chain in apology.  In the book, he was shocked at the prejudice shown someone who walks off the street dressed in bike gear, with a heavy beard and moustache, dirty from the road wanting a room.  He accepted the voucher, but obviously doesn't stay at Holiday Inn normally and says he wouldn't now if he had to.

injest

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2007, 05:06:27 pm »
I am currently reading "The Year of Living Bibilcally" by A J Jacobs...

has anyone else read this? I can't make out if he is mocking it or not...

but it is amusing. The part where he had to shoo a pigeon off a egg and out of the room so he could hold her egg up and say a blessing without letting her see (in case it bothered her) made me laugh out loud!

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2007, 03:05:35 am »
"Anansi Boys" and "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman: Both excellent.

"Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore : Everyone should read this book. Mainly because they would enjoy it.

"Fluke or I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings" by Christopher Moore. More literary enjoyment, set amongst whale researchers in Hawaii.

"Make the Most of Your Time on Earth: A Rough Guide to Planet Earth" : 1000 travel experiences, with pretty pictures.

"This Book Will Save Your Life" by A.M. Holmes: Well, it was good. Not great. After reading I was just left wondering, "from what exactly?"

And of course...."Quantum Mechanics" and "An Informal Introduction to Turbulence". Stimulating, to say the least.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2007, 05:17:50 pm »

About to begin another novel by brilliant writer: Sarah Waters called Affinity.  Got it in the mail today!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2007, 12:48:47 am »

Lesbian writer Jane Rule died on November 27 of complications from cancer at age 76.  Her book Desert of the Heart was the basis for the classic (and wonderfully sexy)  lesbian film Desert Hearts.  My favourite book of hers was Contract with the World.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Rule

Bibliography
Desert of the Heart (1964)
This Is Not For You (1970)
Against the Season (1971)
Lesbian Images (1975)
Theme for Diverse Instruments (1975)
The Young in One Another's Arms (1977)
Contract With the World (1980)
Outlander (1981)
Inland Passage and Other Stories (1982)
A Hot-Eyed Moderate (1985)
Memory Board (1987)
After the Fire (1989)

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2007, 03:34:04 pm »
Next - Michael Crichton. Genetic Engineering in the classic "world gone mad" (right now) Crichton style. A little melodramatic. And kinda blah.

In the Skin of a Lion - Michael Ondaatje. In which the characters of Hannah, Patrick, and Caravaggio from The English Patient make their first appearances. Don't let the film version of The English Patient scare you off! His writing is transcendental...poetry disguised as prose.

Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer. This is pretty much, like, the best book ever. Ok, maybe only the last ten years or so. Too many awards to mention. "Read it and you'll feel altered, chastened - seared in the fire of something new."

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold. Seems excellent so far...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2007, 04:09:58 pm »
Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer. This is pretty much, like, the best book ever. Ok, maybe only the last ten years or so. Too many awards to mention. "Read it and you'll feel altered, chastened - seared in the fire of something new."

I loved that book as well as the movie, but my favourite Foer book is Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close. A great Catcher in the Rye type of book set in NY after 9/11.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2008, 07:50:34 pm »
Currently reading -

A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver.

as well as:

Black like us: A Century of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual African American Fiction
-
a rather remarkable anthology with amazing work by 36 different authors over a period of 100 years.

Offline bec

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • myspace
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2008, 07:18:39 am »
just finished re-reading the harry potter series (big kid at heart  :laugh: )
not sure what to read next, any one recommend a good read ???
Why so serious..............It's all part of the plan...........lets put a smile on that face

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2008, 07:31:00 am »
I,m a big Stephen King fan, and my faves fo his are: "Salems lot",...."The Shining"....."Needful Things".
I also read, "A boy called it". I will NEVER read it again. EVER. That woman was beyond evil. The devil himself must have given birth to her. >:(
I like historical novels, such as "Imortal Queen", which tells the story of Mary Queen of Scots, thats very good.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2008, 10:12:56 pm »
I am reading OSCAR WILDE AND A DEATH OF NO IMPORTANCE.  It's quite good and it reads like something Oscar Wilde might have written. Mr. Wilde stumbles upon the body of a young male friend of his he's scheduled to meet for a "tutoring" appointment. The book is set in 1888, before ppl knew about his sexual orientation.  Of course, it's certainly implied and the police are most interested in why Mr. Wilde is associating with street "urchins."   I strongly recommend it.  Arthur Conan Doyle is also in the book as well, mostly as a secondary character who comes and goes.  The story is told the from the perspective of real life poet Robert Sherard.

http://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Wilde-Death-No-Importance/dp/1416551743/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202090978&sr=1-1

Here's the Amazon.com link.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2008, 09:53:49 pm »
Just finished reading, The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic by Steven Johnson.

Not as evocative as I'd hoped.  It was alright, a short easy read about London's cholera epidemic.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2008, 12:49:04 am »
"On Brokeback Mountain" , so far I am blown away, I just love it.

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2008, 12:49:30 am »
Hello, I hope it's alright if i join your book club.

Has anyone read "A road to paradise" by Paullina Simon's

The road to Paradise, a story of intense friendship, fierce loyalty, and love, will take them to the last place they expected to be.

I just finished it, It's amazing.

Anybody?
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2008, 07:10:12 pm »

Currently..

* The Slow Fix by Ivan E. Coyote
* To Believe in Women: What Lesbians Have Done for America - A History  by Lillian Faderman
* Emily Dickinson - Selected Poems (Dover Publications)
* Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words by Susan G. Wooldridge

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2008, 10:56:32 pm »
I'm an avid reader. For much of my life, books have been my fondest friends.

I'm never without a book on the boil. I love novels, especially if there's a gay theme, and my second favourite genre is biographies/autobiographies.

Most recent reads have been:

* "Too Many Mothers - A Memoir of an East End Childhood," by Roberta Taylor

* "In Cold Blood," by Truman Capote

* "I Am What I Am - My Life and Curious Times," by John Marsden

And I am presently reading "The Catcher in the Rye," by J. D. Salinger. I last read (studied) it at school, back in the 1960s and am thoroughly enjoying the present re-read enormously.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2008, 11:57:36 pm »
I am reading the Tao of Willie.

It is little snippets of Willie Nelson's view of life. One thing you have to give him, he lives life on his own terms and seems to be very happy with himself.

I always am amazed when I pick up a book that really fits where I am in my head. This is one of them....and I always wonder if there is a higher power leading me to these things. The last book I read gave me so much insight into my mother's life (even though it is set in India during the revolution)...now the very next book I pick up is so comforting and is telling me things I need to hear.

I love reading.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2008, 12:36:31 am »
I just finished reading DEVILS BROOD, written by Sharon Penman. It's the final book in a trilogy dealing with HENRY II and ELEANOR Of AQUITANE.  She really understands the medieval world and really brings depth to her characters. Penman is a big fan of THE LION IN WINTER and in the epilogue, she says Richard the Lionheart wasn't gay (as portrayed in the movie) and he certainly didn't have an affair with the King of France. She doesn't rule out that he wasn't bisexual.  I just thought she didn't want to "complicate" the novel by having a gay Richard.

I'm back to reading another mystery titled OSCAR WILD AND A GAME CALLED MURDER. It's a much easier read then DEVILS BROAD. 
After I'm finished with this book, I'll have to see if there are any new books dealing with the holidays that aren't terribly sacharine. 

I saw an article that anything Obama is reading (FDR First 100 Days or Lincoln's Team of Rivals) is flying off the shelves. Also, books on Obama are selling like hotcakes.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081124/ts_alt_afp/uspoliticsobamabooks;_ylt=Ai5OcQMRTaB2JL9sKHwxXn1REhkF

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2008, 02:05:15 am »
I forgot to mention that I read "Timoleon Vieta Come Home - A Sentimental Journey," by Dan Rhodes, prior to  "The Catcher in the Rye." It was lovely in places. Tragic in others. Some (quizzical) gay content. Picture postcard Italian setting.  Crying out to be made a movie of.

I've not yet decided what I'll be reading next, when I finish "The Catcher in the Rye."

I really shouldn't visit bookstores (I don't mean that), because I invariable always come away with a book or two, even if there's already a stack, waiting to be read, on my coffee table.

Already on the coffee table is the following short list. Decisions! Decisions!

* The Boy from Oz - The Peter Allen Story," by Stephen Maclean

* "How Proust Can Change Your Life," by Alain de Botton

* "Maurice," by E. M. Forster (this will be a re-read)

* "Ancient Egyptian Divination and Magic," by Eleanor J. Harris

* "The Campaigns of Alexander," by Arrian (this will be a heavy read, which probably explains why it keeps sinking to the bottom of the pile)

* "The Architecture of Happiness," by Alain de Botton

* "Captain Corelli's Mandolin," by Louis de Bernieres

* "A Fortunate Life," by A. B. Facey

Eclectic, no?

As well as that lot, there's probably about another 20 books under the lamp tables, including several by Annie Proulx.

I'm leaning toward reading "A Fortunate Life" next. It's an Australian classic. The back cover blurb reads:

"This is the extraordinary life of an ordinary man. It is the story of Albert Facey, who lived with simple honesty, compassion and courage. A parentless boy who started work at eight, on the rough West Australian frontier, he struggled as an itinerant rural worker, survived the gore of Gallipoli (WWI), the loss of his farm to the Depression, the death of his son in World War II and that of his beloved wife after sixty devoted years - yet felt that his life was fortunate. Albert Facey's life story, published when he was eighty-seven, has inspired many as a play, a television series, and an award-winning book."

Yep, I think it'll be "A Fortunate Life" next.  :D 

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2008, 09:41:39 pm »

I just finished Cry from the Deep - about the Kursk submarine disaster, Titianic's Last Secrets, Ghost Ship - about the Mary Celeste mystery and am currently working on (at work during lunch) Elizabeth's London - about everyday life in Elizabethan England and Portrait of a Killer Jack the Ripper case closed (at home while riding an exercise bike at the club).

I rediscovered my local library after a disgraceful absence on my part last week and promptly checked out all these books at once.  Hope to go again Saturday to return some and get new ones.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2008, 12:43:57 pm »
"The Darkest Evening of the Year" by Dean Koontz

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2008, 02:23:39 pm »
I'm almost done with the first Twilight book and have ordered the next 3.
I'm going to start Stephen King's new book of short stories soon.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2008, 09:55:12 pm »
Am in the middle of Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy:

The Golden Compass
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass

Sheesh  >:(

Who decided these were childrens books?  They are very disturbing and I am just appalled at some of the twists revealed and the end of some minor character plotlines.

They're good for what they are - young reader books - but don't go in expecting any warm fuzzies.  There are none.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2009, 01:56:25 pm »
Just finished Dan Brown's Angels and Demons.

This was soooooooo much better than The DaVinci Code in terms of suspense and frenetic energy of the novel.

e.g. both books are chase books

Now The DaVinci Code's subject matter was intensely interesting, Angels and Demons is more um, down to earth, where that is concerned.  But that cuts back on the exposition a great deal, there's less to ruminate on and educate the reader about, which streamlines the book's action.

I highly recommend this.  While The Code was fascinating, A&D I was unable to put down.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of Mr. Brown's exotic locales, but that's to my benefit.  I can't be disappointed in any of his mistakes, because I don't know much about the areas or history of the subjects either.  ;D

Strangely, A&D is the prequel to The Code, but Ron Howard is making the movie as a sequel.  ???

Don't know why he chose to do that when making prequels is not a problem at all.

Not sure that bodes well for the story.  You can see from reading the book and knowing Ron Howard is making the movie, where he's going to gut the book to make the milder, gentler and non-controversial A&D.  I'd hate to think he's going to try to tie the two together somehow.  :P

Offline oilgun

« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2009, 03:05:36 pm »
Right now I'm enjoying David Sedaris' short stroy collection, When You Are Engulfed in Flames.  His stories seem so appropriate for the holidays.  Waiting in the wings is Augusten Burrough's A Wolf at the Table.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2009, 06:58:50 pm »

Just finished Dan Brown's Angels and Demons.

This was soooooooo much better than The DaVinci Code in terms of suspense and frenetic energy of the novel.

I was swept up in the DVC hysteria when it was first published. Everyone was talking about it and those who'd read it weren't giving away anything about the plot.

So I thought, hey, why not. I always enjoy a good page-turner and DVC was certainly that. The rapid pace of the writing style coupled with the gazillions of short, snappy chapters; each one with a cliff-hanger at the end; made for compelling, can't put it down reading.

Alas, when I got towards the end, it was revealed that the entire plot appeared to be structured around the premise that Mary Magdalene was the lover of Jesus. Yawn! Not that tired old chestnut again, I thought. If I would have known about that before I began reading it, I would never have started in the first place.

Having said that, however, I must confess that I did enjoy DVC. I think I read it in about one and a half sittings! Couldn't put it down. Just would have preferred that the Mary Magdalene thing would have been avoided at the end. It's been done before. As that's what the entire plot is centred around, however, I fear I can't see how it could have been avoided.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:18:23 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2009, 07:17:26 pm »
After recently finishing "The Catcher in the Rye," I had intended to read "A Fortunate Life."

I instead decided on some blatant gay escapism and have just finished Felice Picano's classic psychological thriller, "The Lure." First published in the 1970s and recently republished by Alyson Books.

It's a brilliant read. Highly recommended. I particularly loved all the red herrings! A classic Who Done It? Or rather, Who'll Do It?!

Here's the blurb from the back cover:

"Noel Cummings' life is about to change. Irrevocably. After witnessing a brutal murder, Noel is recruited by the police to serve as a lure for the killer at large. Undercover,  Noel delves deeply into New York's gay underground - shadowy backroom bars, pulsing strobe-lit private clubs, the thrill-seeking world of extreme wealth - where he gradually becomes aware of the darker forces at work in his once placid life. Suddenly he knows too much, or maybe not enough. Caught between an obsessive policeman and his mysterious prey, Noel must decide; Who can he trust? And he'd better make the right decision, because his life depends on it. The Lure is a rival in sheer suspense to William Goldman's Marathon Man and Thomas Harris' Red Dragon."
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2009, 07:43:12 pm »
Speaking of Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger is 90 today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/31/books/31sali.html?_r=2

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2009, 07:46:38 pm »

I instead decided on some blatant gay escapism and have just finished Felice Picano's classic psychological thriller, "The Lure." First published in the 1970s and recently republished by Alyson Books.

It's a brilliant read. Highly recommended. I particularly loved all the red herrings! A classic Who Done It? Or rather, Who'll Do It?!

That sounds very good.

I enjoyed DVC and I did like 'that old chestnut' because so many people had not heard of it and it made for good social commentary.  Sadly, Dan Brown follows a formula in his stories.  The repeating plot pieces are very blatant if you read more than one Langdon novel.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2009, 07:49:20 pm »
I just started "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell.

Here's a quote from the back cover:

"One of the most gripping and heartbreaking descriptions of heroism in combat to come out of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq....  An astonishing survival tale."
-- Fritz Lanham, HOUSTON CHRONICLE    

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2009, 08:01:21 pm »
Speaking of Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger is 90 today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/31/books/31sali.html?_r=2

L

Gosh, J. D. Salinger was already 50, when I first read The Catcher in the Rye, back in the 1960s.

Thanks for the link, Leslie. I hadn't realised he was a recluse. Interesting article.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2009, 08:06:57 pm »
That sounds very good.

I enjoyed DVC and I did like 'that old chestnut' because so many people had not heard of it and it made for good social commentary.  Sadly, Dan Brown follows a formula in his stories.  The repeating plot pieces are very blatant if you read more than one Langdon novel.

I enjoyed the DVC book, but loathed the movie. How could such an exciting book be turned into such a booooring movie? Haven't read any other books by Brown. Have heard the formula claims before. Once was enough for me.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2009, 09:19:09 pm »
Catcher in the Rye has a BBM connection:  Jake's character Holden in The Good Girl

For the record, I thought the prose in The DaVinci Code was appalingly bad. 

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2009, 09:23:02 pm »

Beetle the Bard, the new novella by J.K. Rowling.  I like heavy intellectual reading material the best.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:41:02 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2009, 09:25:48 pm »

For the record, I thought the prose in The DaVinci Code was appalingly bad. 

Dan Brown is a hack writer for sure, but he sure can write a page turner.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2009, 09:37:58 pm »
Dan Brown is a hack writer for sure, but he sure can write a page turner.

Sure enough, Del, I enjoyed the story, but cringed at every turn of the page!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2009, 09:45:32 pm »
If anyone wants to join me at the E-book files, over on the creative writers board, I've been posting lots of good reads there...and many of them are available as ebooks and in print, too. The ebook version has the advantage of instant delivery and not having to deal with postage and shipping.

Today, I buzzed through Josh Lanyon's latest book which was lots of fun. We are not talking literature, this is a fun, easy read. Perfect for New Year's Day.

There's a dead body in Perry Foster's bathtub. A dead body in a very ugly sportscoat--and matching socks.

The dead man is a stranger to Perry, but that's not much of a comfort; how did a strange dead man get in a locked flat at the isolated Alton Estate in the wilds of the "Northeast Kingdom" of Vermont? Perry flees downstairs to get help and runs into "tall, dark and hostile" former navy SEAL Nick Reno.

Reno doesn't have a lot of time for drama queens, but, convinced that Perry's jitters are based on something more than caffeine overdose, he heads upstairs to investigate. By then the body has disappeared.

If there's one thing Nick has learned the hard way, it's to mind his own business. But Perry Foster doesn't believe in ghosts and isn't willing to let sleeping dead men lie. And Nick just can't convince himself to walk when it's becoming increasingly obvious someone wants the sexy young artist out of the way -- permanently.

For an excerpt or to buy, go here:

http://www.loose-id.com/detail.aspx?ID=826

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2009, 01:38:53 pm »
For the booklovers among us, here's a cute little animation. Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/2295261?pg=embed&sec=2295261

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2009, 12:57:06 am »
I've just finished reading Shane Weaver's moving autobiography, "Blacktown."

It was another one I simply couldn't put down. A true page-turner. It had me screaming with laughter and in floods of tears. I loved the author and loathed him too. I felt shell-shocked at the end. I'm not sure that I would have survived the tragedy he went through. Highly recommended.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2009, 11:26:25 pm »
I've just finished reading "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" by Louis de Bernieres. Not since reading the "Brokeback Mountain" short story have I shed so many tears over a printed page. It was a real roller-coaster ride of emotions, from having to put the book down because I couldn't see the page for tears, right to the other extreme where I was laughing out loud. They made a film of it. I've not seen the film. It's had bad reviews. I didn't want to see it because I heard they changed the plot and cut-out all the gay content. I love this book. It's one of my favourite books now, right up there with "Brokeback Mountain" and Mary Renault's "The Persian Boy." Please treat yourself and read this wonderful book. It is the most beautiful love story, plus so very much more. Bet it makes you Google "Cephallonia." I'll re-read it in a couple of years.

It's difficult to choose a favourite quote from such a beautifully written novel, but if I had to (please progress beyond this point with caution, as I am about to reveal an integral aspect of the plot), it would be Carlo's description of Francesco's death:

I put down my rifle and climbed out of the trench. The Greeks did not shoot at me. I reached Francesco and saw that the side of his head had been blown away. The pieces of skull looked grey and were coated in membrane and thick blood. Some of the fluid was bright red, and some of it was crimson. He was still alive. I looked down at him and my eyes were blinded with tears. I knelt and gathered him into my arms. He was so emaciated from the winter and the hardship that he was as light as a sparrow. I stood up and faced the Greeks. I was offering myself to their guns. There was a silence, and then a cheer came from their lines. One of them shouted hoarsely, "Bravissimo." I turned and carried the limp bundle back to my lines.

In the trench Francesco took two hours to die. His gore soaked into the sleeves and flanks of my tunic. His shattered head was cradled in my arms like a little child and his mouth formed words that only he could hear. Tears began to follow each other down his cheeks. I gathered his tears on my fingers and drank them. I bent down and whispered into his ear, "Francesco, I have always loved you." His eyes rolled up and met mine. He fixed my gaze. He cleared his throat with difficulty and said, "I know." I said, "I never told you until now." He smiled that slow laconic smile and said, "Life's a bitch, Carlo. I feel good with you." I saw the light grow dim in his eyes and he began the long slow journey into death. There was no morphia. The agony must have been indescribable. He did not ask me to shoot him; perhaps at the very end he loved his vanishing life.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2009, 12:52:46 am »
you are reading very heavy material, Kerry..

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2009, 02:10:59 am »
you are reading very heavy material, Kerry..

That's true, Jess. The last couple of books I've read have been somewhat angst-filled. So I've decided on a change and am presently reading . . . . .

. . . . . just for something different.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2009, 10:14:23 pm »
In the trench Francesco took two hours to die. His gore soaked into the sleeves and flanks of my tunic. His shattered head was cradled in my arms like a little child and his mouth formed words that only he could hear. Tears began to follow each other down his cheeks. I gathered his tears on my fingers and drank them. I bent down and whispered into his ear, "Francesco, I have always loved you." His eyes rolled up and met mine. He fixed my gaze. He cleared his throat with difficulty and said, "I know." I said, "I never told you until now." He smiled that slow laconic smile and said, "Life's a bitch, Carlo. I feel good with you." I saw the light grow dim in his eyes and he began the long slow journey into death. There was no morphia. The agony must have been indescribable. He did not ask me to shoot him; perhaps at the very end he loved his vanishing life.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

retropian

« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2009, 10:37:47 pm »
I've just finished reading "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" by Louis de Bernieres. Not since reading the "Brokeback Mountain" short story have I shed so many tears over a printed page. It was a real roller-coaster ride of emotions, from having to put the book down because I couldn't see the page for tears, right to the other extreme where I was laughing out loud. They made a film of it. I've not seen the film. It's had bad reviews. I didn't want to see it because I heard they changed the plot and cut-out all the gay content. I love this book. It's one of my favourite books now, right up there with "Brokeback Mountain" and Mary Renault's "The Persian Boy." Please treat yourself and read this wonderful book. It is the most beautiful love story, plus so very much more. Bet it makes you Google "Cephallonia." I'll re-read it in a couple of years.

It's difficult to choose a favourite quote from such a beautifully written novel, but if I had to (please progress beyond this point with caution, as I am about to reveal an integral aspect of the plot), it would be Carlo's description of Francesco's death:

I put down my rifle and climbed out of the trench. The Greeks did not shoot at me. I reached Francesco and saw that the side of his head had been blown away. The pieces of skull looked grey and were coated in membrane and thick blood. Some of the fluid was bright red, and some of it was crimson. He was still alive. I looked down at him and my eyes were blinded with tears. I knelt and gathered him into my arms. He was so emaciated from the winter and the hardship that he was as light as a sparrow. I stood up and faced the Greeks. I was offering myself to their guns. There was a silence, and then a cheer came from their lines. One of them shouted hoarsely, "Bravissimo." I turned and carried the limp bundle back to my lines.

"Captain Corelli's Mandolin" was recommended to me ages ago. I'll have to read it for sure now. I also love Mary Renault novels. "The Persian Boy" is great, and "The Last of the Wine" is stellar! IMHO. "The Last Charioteer" is also wonderful, set during WW2, so essentially contemporary for Mary Renault, which was different for her since she usually focused on historical fiction set in ancient or Classical Greece. She was a historian of that era.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2009, 11:44:09 pm »
"Captain Corelli's Mandolin" was recommended to me ages ago. I'll have to read it for sure now. I also love Mary Renault novels. "The Persian Boy" is great, and "The Last of the Wine" is stellar! IMHO. "The Last Charioteer" is also wonderful, set during WW2, so essentially contemporary for Mary Renault, which was different for her since she usually focused on historical fiction set in ancient or Classical Greece. She was a historian of that era.

If you're fond of Mary Renault, may I recommend this excellent biography by David Sweetman? It's very good.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2009, 12:29:58 am »

I love the novels of Mary Renault, and she also wrote an excellent biography of Alexander the Great, titled "The Nature of Alexander." What I love most about this book is the way Ms Renault so thoroughly brings Alexander to life. He ceases to be a dry-as-dust personage from the far distant past and becomes real, contemporary, living, breathing. These are a few of my (many) favourite quotes from "The Nature of Alexander." Yep, I'd love Alexander to be a friend of mine!

"His liquid eyes were grey. Their expressiveness altered Greek artistic convention."

"The loosely waving, heavy mane of hair, springing from the peak, its individual cut sloping down to the base of the neck when in south Greece the short curly crop was in fashion. Arrian, both of whose main sources were men who saw him often, says that he was very handsome."

"In Aristoxenus' memoirs it is said that a very pleasant scent came from his skin, and that there was a fragrance in his breath and all his body which permeated the clothes he wore."

It's from Aristoxenus, I'm sure, that Ms Renault created these two beautiful evocations of Alexander from "The Persian Boy," as described by Bogoas:

"He was seemly in sleep, his mouth closed, his breathing silent, his body fresh and sweet. The room smelled of sex and cedarwood, with a tang of salt from the sea. Autumn drew on, the night wind blew from the north. I drew the blanket over him; without waking, he moved to me in the great bed, seeking warmth."

"I used to wonder at first what faint pleasant scent he used, and would look about for the phial; but there was none, it was the gift of nature."

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

retropian

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2009, 11:14:25 pm »
If you're fond of Mary Renault, may I recommend this excellent biography by David Sweetman? It's very good.

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. I know very little of her life. I'd be interested on know why she love gay men so. She was gay herself I know, but what other Lesbian writers wrote, or write of the gay male experience? In Fanfiction there are many straight female writers who create male/male romances, which I can understand to a degree, but one doesn't find gay men writing a lot about the experience of women straight or gay, nor gay women writing about the experience of gay men. But maybe I'm just out of the loop in that regard and am unaware of an entire body of fiction.

retropian

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2009, 11:16:29 pm »
I love the novels of Mary Renault, and she also wrote an excellent biography of Alexander the Great, titled "The Nature of Alexander." What I love most about this book is the way Ms Renault so thoroughly brings Alexander to life. He ceases to be a dry-as-dust personage from the far distant past and becomes real, contemporary, living, breathing. These are a few of my (many) favourite quotes from "The Nature of Alexander." Yep, I'd love Alexander to be a friend of mine!

"His liquid eyes were grey. Their expressiveness altered Greek artistic convention."

"The loosely waving, heavy mane of hair, springing from the peak, its individual cut sloping down to the base of the neck when in south Greece the short curly crop was in fashion. Arrian, both of whose main sources were men who saw him often, says that he was very handsome."

"In Aristoxenus' memoirs it is said that a very pleasant scent came from his skin, and that there was a fragrance in his breath and all his body which permeated the clothes he wore."

It's from Aristoxenus, I'm sure, that Ms Renault created these two beautiful evocations of Alexander from "The Persian Boy," as described by Bogoas:

"He was seemly in sleep, his mouth closed, his breathing silent, his body fresh and sweet. The room smelled of sex and cedarwood, with a tang of salt from the sea. Autumn drew on, the night wind blew from the north. I drew the blanket over him; without waking, he moved to me in the great bed, seeking warmth."

"I used to wonder at first what faint pleasant scent he used, and would look about for the phial; but there was none, it was the gift of nature."

Oooh. I'll have to get this too! I love Mary Renault's Alexander novels and I have not read "The Nature of Alexander". I'm exited to read these!!!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2009, 12:08:38 am »

Oops, typo! Bagoas, not Bogoas. Mea culpa!

From Oliver Stone's movie, "Alexander" (OT - apologies):

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaI_zkayAxM[/youtube]
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2009, 12:49:57 am »
The Nature of Alexander was an excellent read.  Very much recommend it.

Didn't like The Persian Boy so much - it was beautifully written, but I felt for Hephaestion's pain.

injest

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2009, 01:23:25 am »
if anyone is interested we have  thread devoted to Mary Renault here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7090.0.html

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2009, 02:17:46 am »
The Nature of Alexander was an excellent read.  Very much recommend it.

Didn't like The Persian Boy so much - it was beautifully written, but I felt for Hephaestion's pain.

Ah, Alexander & Hephaestion. One of the truly great love stories of antiquity. So tragic. So sublime.  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2009, 02:24:21 am »
if anyone is interested we have  thread devoted to Mary Renault here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7090.0.html

Thanks for the reminder, Jess. I thoroughly enjoyed the Mary Renault thread.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2009, 10:38:09 pm »
I'm like my mom, I read a few books at a time LOL. Currently I am working on:

"The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson

Being a huge horror fanatic I am so engaged in the story, I feel like I am inside the house, or travelling with the heroine. I feel like I am experiencing all this with her, and I am only on the fourth chapter! I'm spellbound so far.

"A Lifelong Passion: The Story of Nicholas & Alexandra In Their Own Words"

Being a fan of Russian history and Russian culture in general I am enthralled with this collection arranged chronologically of diaries and letters from the last Tzar and Tzaritsa of Russia, their daughters and son, their distant relatives, friends, servants, and towards the end the guards who kept them under arrest have some entries too. The book starts in 1881 and then skips ahead a few years, and currently I am in 1890s somewhere (my aide dropped the book while cleaning and lost my place for me! I know I am somewhere in the 40s but I can't remember where). Anyway, it's lovely to see their romance blossom. I am also intrigued to read Grand Duke Konstantin's "sinful" exploits (he was, in his opinion, "cursed" with homosexuality though he was, of course, married and had a few children). Anyway, great introduction to the private lives of the last Tzar and his court.

That's all I am currently reading really.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

injest

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2009, 12:49:58 am »
I am reading "The Survivor's Club"...VERY interesting!

the author has been making the rounds on the talk shows lately, this book talks about real life emergencies and tries to show why some people survive an emergency and others don't. (beyond chance).

covers plane crashes, animal attacks, crime.

very compelling reading.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2009, 02:28:20 am »
I've just finished reading "The Boy from Oz - The Peter Allen Story," by Stephen MacLean.

I thoroughly enjoy biographies and autobiographies, and this one was no exception. It was very entertaining and fast-moving, as was the life of the "Boy" himself.

I must confess that I was never a great fan of Peter Allen. Certainly, I am very proud of him as a fellow gay Australian, who wrote many truly beautiful and memorable songs. As a personality, however, the author of this particular biography paints a picture of Peter Allen as being a relentlessly driven individual. He wasn't so much manic-depressive, as just plain Manic, with a capital "M". Peter Allen had an amazing, albeit short, life. He achieved so much, and most of what he achieved was through an annihilating determination and will to win - an unwavering determination to attain "fame" at all costs.

Certainly worth reading.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2009, 12:45:55 pm »
I'm reading Barack Obama's Dreams From My Father.

I know - Big Shocker, right?

It's great.  He really is a wonderful writer.
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2009, 01:26:13 pm »
I have been reading some mysteries set in the 19th century.  I just finished reading OSCAR WILDE AND A GAME CALLED MURDER. It was at the library.  It was a follow up to the author's previous Oscar Wilde mystery. Both books obviously take place before the "scandal" in 1893. I've enjoyed them.

I am now reading EMPIRES OF TRUST, a comparison between between the Roman Republic and the United States. The author points out a number of historic similarities and the book has been well received by mainstream historians.

http://www.amazon.com/Empires-Trust-Built-America-Building/dp/B001LF4AP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234200316&sr=1-1

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2009, 10:21:27 pm »
Just finished reading:

God against the gods
- easy read, nothing new for someone like myself, but the author delves into the very interesting political/social paths that Christianity took to supplant the pagan religions.

City on Fire - about the 1947 Texas City disaster.  EXCELLENT read if you like this kind of thing.  Gruesome in the details though.  :P

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2009, 10:29:22 am »
I am reading the "Twilight" series of books.  I didn't think I'd have any interest in them (a girl in love with a vampire?  Oh please!), but a co-worker gave me the first book "Twilight" and told me how good it was, and I needed a new book to read anyway so I thought I'd give it a try.  Well, I really liked it a lot.  It is fast and easy reading, and a book that I couldn't put down.  Now I'm reading the second book in the series, "New Moon", and am breezing right through that one very quickly too. 

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2009, 04:42:20 pm »
Haha Dobie :) my writing partner Marsha was telling me about Twilight. She hates the writing, not crazy about the characters, and yet... she enjoys the story overall LOL. She thinks the movie is bad, but was entertained by it just the same. It was funny one of her comments last night:

"She reminds me of my writing... ten years ago."
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2009, 12:35:09 am »

Marcel Proust

I've just finished reading Alain de Botton's delightful "How Proust Can Change Your Life."

Filled to overflowing with Proustian angst, pathos and eccentricity, as well as joy and humour in abundance. This book is more an exuberantly exhilarating experience than a mere good read.

The chapter titles tell the story:
* One - How to Love Life Today
* Two - How to Read For Yourself
* Three - How to take Your Time
* Four - How to Suffer Successfully
* Five - How to Express Your Emotions
* Six - How to Be a Good Friend
* Seven - How to Open Your Eyes
* Eight - How to be Happy in Love
* Nine - How to Put Books Down

All of the above advice is given from a decidedly Proustian perspective, which could be defined, in Brokebackian terms, as being somewhat Ennisian in places. Certainly, both Proust and Ennis met their fate in self-imposed, voluntary, internal exile.

I was hooked on this book from the very first paragraph:

"There are few things humans are more dedicated to than unhappiness. Had we been placed on earth by a malign creator for the exclusive purpose of suffering, we would have good reason to congratulate ourselves on our enthusiastic response to the task. Reasons to be inconsolable abound: the frailty of our bodies, the fickleness of love, the insincerities of social life, the compromises of friendship, the deadening effects of habit. In the face of such persistent ills, we might naturally expect that no event would be awaited with greater anticipation than the moment of our own extinction."

Don't be put off by the "Philosophy" label. This book is absolutely wonderful.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2009, 02:38:22 am »

Oskar Schindler
“A Righteous Person”

I’ve just finished reading the remarkable “Schindler’s List” by Thomas Keneally. This is a wonderful book, but it’s a terrible book, too. Wonderful in what Oskar Schindler managed to accomplish and terrible in the unimaginably despicable events described within the narrative. I wish I could recommend that you read it. Alas, I can’t find it in myself to do that. Unless you are, that is, prepared to completely give yourself over to Herr Schindler’s story and to become enveloped in it and swept away by it. This book is very sad, yes. And it’s tragic, too. Oh, yes, it is most certainly a tragic tale. But it goes beyond being just sad and tragic. It’s depressing. This book will depress you.  This book will possess you. Don’t pick it up, unless you are prepared to be possessed by it. “Schindler’s List” swamped me in despair. It gave me nightmares. I literally woke in the night, imagining myself as a child, on the selection ramp at Auschwitz, looking into the kind, benevolently smiling, handsome face of the dashing Dr Josef Mengele. Shudder. Read it at your peril. I read it and I’m glad I did. A triumph of the human spirit over the most unimaginably malevolent brutality.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2009, 01:28:08 am »
I just read “The Front Runner” by gay author, Patricia Nell Warren, and what an emotional rollercoaster it turned out to be.

I last read it when it was first published, waaaay back in the 1970s, when I was in my 20s.  I remembered I enjoyed it and that it was about a gay Olympic runner who liked to run out front of the pack – a “front runner.” Apart from that, I’d forgotten the nitty-gritty of the plot.

I read “Shindler’s List” a couple of weeks ago and was feeling somewhat shell-shocked by the experience. Was actually having nightmares about it. I told a friend that I needed something light and gay to read. He suggested “The Front Runner” and gave me his copy. I started reading immediately and soon settled into the narrative and was enjoying the story. I still couldn’t remember the ending, however, and I wasn’t quite prepared for it, when it came. There won’t be any spoilers here. Suffice to say, however, that the ending left me as shell-shocked as “Shindler’s List.” Maybe more so.

This is a beautiful and tragic gay love story. If you love “Brokeback Mountain,” you’ll love “The Front Runner.” The narrator of the story is Harlan Brown, a big, tough, ex-Marine, employed as a track coach at a small American college. Billy Sive, a brilliant young runner, comes to Harlan’s college, to be coached by him. He wants to run at the Montreal Olympics.

To quote the back of the dust jacket, “When Harlan and Billy fall in love, they will enter a race against hate and prejudice that takes them to the 1976 Olympics and a shocking, shattering conclusion.”

I wept buckets over this beautiful book and loved every moment of it. A good love story always makes me cry.

Read it. You’ll love it.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2009, 02:04:57 am »
it is a very good book...now go get "The Beauty Queen"...that one will have you cheering!

I loved the end on that one...

(same author)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2009, 08:54:29 am »
it is a very good book...now go get "The Beauty Queen"...that one will have you cheering!

I loved the end on that one...

(same author)

Thanks for the recommendation, Jess. I'm always on the lookout for a good book to read, and will definitely read "The Beauty Queen," on your recommendation. Will also shortly be reading the two sequels to "The Front Runner" - "Harlan's Race" and "Billy's Boy."

If you're interested in Patricia Nell Warren, try this site:

http://thefrontrunner.com/home.htm
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2009, 09:04:13 am »
Thank you!

I liked "The Beauty Queen" because two of the main characters are a gay couple 'of a certain age" that after decades of living in the closet, still had a very active and passionate love life and a strong devotion to one another...and that isnt' something you see a lot in literature..or at least I havent'.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2009, 04:47:53 pm »
While returning the 2 Disc DVD of HOWARD'S END, I checked out E.M. Foster's MAURICE.  It's not a very big book, so it's shouldn't take long to read.

I was surprised my library doesn't have the two disc movie version of MAURICE. Today, I filled out a request for the film as they don't have a copy (video or original 1 disc release). Don't know if they will process it as it takes several requests before they order the film unless it's deemed of artistic merit. Unfortunately, they don't have too many gay themed films at my library, though they do have many copies of BBM.

The 2 disc DVD version of Howard's END was an excellent restoration with many, many extra features.  I would hope MAURICE got equal treatment.

I've heard MAURICE is considered one of Forster's lesser works and it was published posthumously because of the nature of the material. I will be interested to see how closely the book follows the movie as the film has a few same sex bedroom scenes from what I remember.

http://www.tlavideo.com/product/2-0-111917_maurice.html?sn=1

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2009, 09:53:24 pm »
While returning the 2 Disc DVD of HOWARD'S END, I checked out E.M. Foster's MAURICE.  It's not a very big book, so it's shouldn't take long to read.

I was surprised my library doesn't have the two disc movie version of MAURICE. Today, I filled out a request for the film as they don't have a copy (video or original 1 disc release). Don't know if they will process it as it takes several requests before they order the film unless it's deemed of artistic merit. Unfortunately, they don't have too many gay themed films at my library, though they do have many copies of BBM.

The 2 disc DVD version of Howard's END was an excellent restoration with many, many extra features.  I would hope MAURICE got equal treatment.

I've heard MAURICE is considered one of Forster's lesser works and it was published posthumously because of the nature of the material. I will be interested to see how closely the book follows the movie as the film has a few same sex bedroom scenes from what I remember.

http://www.tlavideo.com/product/2-0-111917_maurice.html?sn=1

The film of "Maurice" is very true to the original novel by E.M. Forster, including the love scenes. I loved both book and movie.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2009, 06:49:41 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I finished the Twilight series of books.  I was somewhat disappointed with the last of the 4 books.  I thought it would turn out different than it did.  Now I am reading "The Shack" by Wm. Paul Young.  A book where "tragedy confronts eternity".   It is very interesting and thought provoking.   

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2009, 07:16:46 pm »
"The Shack" book has its own website:  www.theshackbook.com 
It's pretty interesting stuff. 

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2009, 02:32:12 am »

I have just finished re-reading an old favourite of mine – The Last of the Wine  by Mary Renault. It was first published in 1956 and is the first of her historical novels set in Ancient Greece. Many believe it to be her greatest novel. Because I have such an emotional connection to this book, it is difficult for me to describe it in a detached, clinical manner. Suffice to say that Ms Renault’s descriptive evocation of Ancient Greece is breathtaking beautiful in the extreme. It is a book to be savoured slowly and re-read regularly. The twist at the end always brings me undone and I’m sure it always will, no matter how many times I read it.

Here is an abridged version of what Wikipedia has to say about The Last of the Wine:

The first person narrator is Alexias, a noble Athenian youth, who becomes a noted beauty in the city and a champion runner. The teenager Alexias falls in love with Lysis, a young man in his 20's, who is a champion athlete and a student of Socrates. The core of the novel is the relationship between the two, following their life together in sport, love, peace and war.

Socrates also figures prominently, as both men become his students and his philosophy is much discussed. Also characterized in the novel are Plato and several figures from his Dialogues, who were Socrates' students. Another historical figure who figures in the story, albeit mostly off-stage, is Alcibiades, the Athenian general who flees Athens on a charge of sacrilege and sells his services to other city-states, finally becoming a general serving  Sparta and thus becoming partly responsible for Athens' destruction.

In time, Lysis marries. His wife views Alexias favorably and encourages the continuation of her husband's relationship with him. By then Athens has been defeated by Sparta in the Peloponnesian War and Alexias and Lysis take part in the democratic rebellion of Thrasybulus against the Spartan-imposed tyrannical regime of Athens.

The Last of the Wine  discusses the mores and culture of Ancient Greece, including symposia (drinking parties), the treatment of women, the importance of athletic, military and philosophical training among young men, marriage customs and daily life in war and peace.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

retropian

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2009, 09:00:12 am »

I have just finished re-reading an old favourite of mine – The Last of the Wine  by Mary Renault. It was first published in 1956 and is the first of her historical novels set in Ancient Greece. Many believe it to be her greatest novel. Because I have such an emotional connection to this book, it is difficult for me to describe it in a detached, clinical manner. Suffice to say that Ms Renault’s descriptive evocation of Ancient Greece is breathtaking beautiful in the extreme. It is a book to be savoured slowly and re-read regularly. The twist at the end always brings me undone and I’m sure it always will, no matter how many times I read it.

Here is an abridged version of what Wikipedia has to say about The Last of the Wine:

The first person narrator is Alexias, a noble Athenian youth, who becomes a noted beauty in the city and a champion runner. The teenager Alexias falls in love with Lysis, a young man in his 20's, who is a champion athlete and a student of Socrates. The core of the novel is the relationship between the two, following their life together in sport, love, peace and war.

Socrates also figures prominently, as both men become his students and his philosophy is much discussed. Also characterized in the novel are Plato and several figures from his Dialogues, who were Socrates' students. Another historical figure who figures in the story, albeit mostly off-stage, is Alcibiades, the Athenian general who flees Athens on a charge of sacrilege and sells his services to other city-states, finally becoming a general serving  Sparta and thus becoming partly responsible for Athens' destruction.

In time, Lysis marries. His wife views Alexias favorably and encourages the continuation of her husband's relationship with him. By then Athens has been defeated by Sparta in the Peloponnesian War and Alexias and Lysis take part in the democratic rebellion of Thrasybulus against the Spartan-imposed tyrannical regime of Athens.

The Last of the Wine  discusses the mores and culture of Ancient Greece, including symposia (drinking parties), the treatment of women, the importance of athletic, military and philosophical training among young men, marriage customs and daily life in war and peace.

Yeah, I'm with you. This too is one of my favorite A.R. novels. One I return too every few years as well. Not only is it a great story and romance it's also educational. I think A.R. being a Classical Scholar and Hiistorian took great pains to set her characters in the history of Athens as it was then known. No historical revisionism to juice up the tale for her! It's was also ground breaking to portray two men in love as Warriors not as "Poofs", and unlike gay themed fiction of the mid 20th century the main characters don't commit suicide! On the negative side though, it does idealize a very misogynistic culture in which women lives where tightly restricted and controlled. It's very reminiscent of fundamentalist Islamic attitude toward women: Property of their Fathers then Husbands then Sons. 

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2009, 02:27:55 am »
Yeah, I'm with you. This too is one of my favorite A.R. novels. One I return too every few years as well. Not only is it a great story and romance it's also educational. I think A.R. being a Classical Scholar and Hiistorian took great pains to set her characters in the history of Athens as it was then known. No historical revisionism to juice up the tale for her! It's was also ground breaking to portray two men in love as Warriors not as "Poofs", and unlike gay themed fiction of the mid 20th century the main characters don't commit suicide! On the negative side though, it does idealize a very misogynistic culture in which women lives where tightly restricted and controlled. It's very reminiscent of fundamentalist Islamic attitude toward women: Property of their Fathers then Husbands then Sons. 

And yet five of the twelve Olympian gods worshiped by the Ancient Greeks were female, including the great Pallas Athena, whose primary centre of worship was located at Athens, the city of Alexias and Lysis:

Athena was no wilting flower. Nor would one expect her to be, seeing as she sprang fully grown, in complete body armour from the forehead of her father, Zeus! In fact, some might say that Athena, Artemis, Aphrodite, Hera and Demeter all presented as truly inspirational female role models, if not somewhat scary ones at times. For example, this is one of my favourite legends about Athena:

Athena did not always have a peaceful disposition, despite her common image as a goddess of wisdom, knowledge, and philosophy. Greek legends tell, for example, how Athena transformed a young woman into a spider. Athena taught the woman how to weave, but she refused to acknowledge her debt to the goddess. Such a punishment might seem understandable in the context of Greek myth except for one thing: Athena only punished poor Arachne after she challenged the goddess to a weaving contest and confronted Athena with her perfectly made tapestry. Thus, Arachne was punished not simply for her pride but also for the fact that her pride was somewhat justified.

Ya gotta love them zany Ancient Greeks!  :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2009, 12:21:39 pm »
And yet five of the twelve Olympian gods worshiped by the Ancient Greeks were female, including the great Pallas Athena, whose primary centre of worship was located at Athens, the city of Alexias and Lysis:

Athena was no wilting flower. Nor would one expect her to be, seeing as she sprang fully grown, in complete body armour from the forehead of her father, Zeus! In fact, some might say that Athena, Artemis, Aphrodite, Hera and Demeter all presented as truly inspirational female role models, if not somewhat scary ones at times. For example, this is one of my favourite legends about Athena:

Athena did not always have a peaceful disposition, despite her common image as a goddess of wisdom, knowledge, and philosophy. Greek legends tell, for example, how Athena transformed a young woman into a spider. Athena taught the woman how to weave, but she refused to acknowledge her debt to the goddess. Such a punishment might seem understandable in the context of Greek myth except for one thing: Athena only punished poor Arachne after she challenged the goddess to a weaving contest and confronted Athena with her perfectly made tapestry. Thus, Arachne was punished not simply for her pride but also for the fact that her pride was somewhat justified.

Ya gotta love them zany Ancient Greeks!  :laugh:

It's always strange how civilizations and cultures can honor female goddesses/divinity, but yet still be misogynistic about women in general - the ancient Greeks/Romans, the RCC and the Hindu religion.

I love Athena, she's my patrona.  My favorite story is about the Olympians fight against the Giants.  All the female goddesses (and some of the male gods) stayed behind the fighting lines, except for Athena, who led the defensive retaliation.  Several of the giants actually dodged out of her way, not wanting to tangle with the goddess of victory in war.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:43:29 pm by delalluvia »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2009, 01:06:25 pm »
Just finished reading No Apparent Danger, the story of two volcanic disasters in Colombia in 1985 and 1993.

The book details two stories.

1) the near hopelessness poor countries have in saving their people from volcanic disasters.  In 1985, Colombia had no vulcanologists, but they had volcanoes and they had no money in which to fund a properly run agency to study them. 

The book details the Colombian scientists' difficulty of getting equipment that actually worked to monitor the mountains, the harder difficulty of getting people who knew how to read and interpret what their equipment was telling them and trying to stop the local poor people from trooping up the mountainside to steal the equipment to sell for scrap.

I was shocked at how long it takes one government to ask another government for help when there isn't any current danger or disaster - it takes months.  The Colombians had requested technical advice and visits from the USGS (world renown for their expertise).

Once, one of the head USGS scientists came and gave recommendations to the Colombians on one of their active volcanoes.  He advised

a) restricting tourism
b) adding security to protect the monitoring equipment
c) moving the radio towers off the mountain
d) lighting the local airport in case a disaster did come so that support from the air could land

Needless to say, the Colombians didn't act on his advice.  The Colombian scientists were aghast that Americans would make recommendations that cost money!

So when the disaster did come, needless to say, tourists were killed, half the radio towers were destroyed, etc. and the local people blamed the scientists because the mountain had been "fine" up until they started moving equipment on it.  This obviously made the mountain "mad".  So the blame went to the scientists.

It makes me sad how such poor countries basically don't have the money to save their own people.  Despite scientists' advice on relocating populaces or making evacuation plans, their advice will go unheeded because the governments don't have the money to spend on them and the populace has nowhere to go.  Their lives and means of a living are tied to the land and so many can't leave.

So the solution is that the volcano will eventually wipe out the lands and the people on them, solving both problems.  :(

The book also

2)  tells the story of the hijacking of the last disaster, in which an unbalanced, arrogant scientist, unable to abandon his pet theory which did not work, scoffing at safety gear, ignoring proven warning signs, led 14 fellow scientists - into the active volcano.  Nine were killed when the volcano blew.

Surviving the blast, this scientist reached the U.S. first and held press conferences and interviews, describing himself as the lone survivor and taking credit for having warned his fellow scientists about the danger.  He urged one of his graduate students to copy another man's work (I guess it isn't plagiarizing if the other work isn't published) describing the warning signs and got him to publish first, leaving the man whose worked they based their paper on and had actually predicted two volcanic eruptions, out in the cold, his work unpublishable due to this academic theft.

The book was also an attempt to get out the knowledge of this man's misdeeds.

Sad, all the way around.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:40:15 pm by delalluvia »

retropian

« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2009, 02:28:45 am »

You inspired me to read it once again. Perhaps it's a function of my getting older, but I find new wisdom here with every reading. I first read it perhaps twenty years ago or more, and in retrospect I don't think I understood very much, I just liked the story. Now, it seems much more; how to be.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2009, 10:52:35 pm »
Reading Misquoting Jesus again.

It just boggles the mind how anyone can possibly imagine that the books of the bible are the true word of god or they are what was originally written in any way, shape or form.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2009, 08:39:52 am »
Hey, Jane Austen fans! I read in this morning's newspaper that last spring's publishing hit, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, is now being followed up with the somewhat more alliterative Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

retropian

« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2009, 11:11:29 am »
Hey, Jane Austen fans! I read in this morning's newspaper that last spring's publishing hit, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, is now being followed up with the somewhat more alliterative Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters.  ;D

I am about 2/3rd the way through "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". It's friggin brilliant! I hope it gets the "Masterpiece Theater" treatment. Maybe Colin Firth can reprise his role as Darcy, or if he's to old, maybe he can be Mr. Bennet. I'm looking forward to reading "Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters". What's next "The Wolfman of Mansfield Park"?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2009, 02:24:55 pm »
I am reading The Last Studebaker by Robin Hemley

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2009, 02:42:09 pm »
I am about 2/3rd the way through "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". It's friggin brilliant! I hope it gets the "Masterpiece Theater" treatment. Maybe Colin Firth can reprise his role as Darcy, or if he's to old, maybe he can be Mr. Bennet. I'm looking forward to reading "Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters". What's next "The Wolfman of Mansfield Park"?

I should read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I'm sure that if Lizzie Bennet can hold her own against Mr. Darcy, she can handle zombies.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2009, 05:57:54 pm »
Just finished and enjoyed tremendously

Under the Tuscan Sun, Bella Tuscany and Bringing Home Tuscany by Frances Mayes - closest I'm going to get to Italy for a while  :P

and

A Year in Provence and Toujours Provence by Peter Mayle

When Hollywood makes a movie (Under the Tuscan Sun and A Good Year) based on these kind of books, they always make the hero a single, beautiful person with some issues and a lot of money who buys this magical place, falls in love with the country, the people, themselves and finally their soulmate.

Guess books about staid middle-aged married couples who have a lot of money to buy multiple properties abroad who are nearing retirement don't make good movie fodder...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2009, 02:45:04 pm »
Just finished reading

Tattoo Machine - Tall tales, true stories and My life in Ink by Jeff Johnson

Very well written book.  And as usual when the side roads of society are revealed, you find heartbreaking stories of marginalized people on the edge of life and sanity, the 'crazies', the junkies, those so alone they gradually abandon all hope as well as truly scary stories of abuse, crime and sociopathy that are out there.  And you also find surprising compassion from those who try to help those who cannot help themselves.

Also makes you want to think twice whenever you go into a tattoo parlor.  ;)

Insightful, moving (I'm still deeply disturbed by one description of abuse the author related about himself), coarse, blunt and humorous.  Worth the read.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2009, 04:46:53 pm »
"Mila 18" by Leon Uris

Over the past 4 years, in the process of being made and released as a feature film by Harvey Weinstein

http://troysbucket.blogspot.com/2007/09/mila-18.html

I have been waiting for years for Hollywood to get their act together and make the film adaptation of the book Mila 18 by Leon Uris. I love reading books especially fiction but there have been only two books, in my 30 years, that I have read more than once and Mila 18 was one of them. This is a story about the invasion of Warsaw in Poland by the Nazis. The imagery of the Polish army, or Ulany army, charging into battle on horseback against the German Panzer tanks. I've had this vision in my head for years, the old world vs. the technological might of the Nazis. It would probably cost a fortune to film but damn what an amazing thing to see. The story also moves past the devastating loss of the Ulany brigade and the beginning of the Warsaw ghetto where a handful of Jews stand up to the Nazi army using the underground black market to revolt against their captors in an attempt to escape. It is a little different from our normal casting calls but it's one that I think could be a tour de force film and really show a different side to the Jews in occupied Poland during World War II.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2009, 01:50:04 am »
I´m reading Bad Dirt by Annie Proulx. O0

I´m really enjoying it. I find the short stories in Bad Dirt more humoristic than the ones in Close Range, and I´m finding myself laughing quite often.
It´s full of mystical elements as well - talking rodants, holes in the ground that eat people etc¨
The one thing every story have in common, is that you never have any idea where they are going or how they will end.
It´s clear that she is trying to stay away from traditional story-telling that often comes with a twist or a point at the end of each story. Instead her endings are often very anti-climatic.

and as always, reading Annie Proulx, always makes me want to go back to Wyoming, and see for myself if people there really are the way AP describes them.

Offline hermitdave

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • changed forever by brokeback...
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2009, 11:31:08 am »
I'm re-reading The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. I read it and saw the movie based on it years ago. In fact I read this book before ever hearing of Brokeback.
Another book I'm reading is Animals In Translation (using the mysteries of autism to decode animal behavior) by Temple Grandin.   
"Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am whole again. Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am young again." - The Cure

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2009, 09:14:07 pm »
I just finished reading Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, and I highly recommend it.  It's non-fiction that reads like a novel, and is written in a spare, direct manner.  A review from The New Yorker:

Through the story of one man’s experience after Hurricane Katrina, Eggers draws an indelible picture of Bush-era crisis management. Abdulrahman Zeitoun, a successful Syrian-born painting contractor, decides to stay in New Orleans and protect his property while his family flees. After the levees break, he uses a small canoe to rescue people, before being arrested by an armed squad and swept powerlessly into a vortex of bureaucratic brutality. When a guard accuses him of being a member of Al Qaeda, he sees that race and culture may explain his predicament. Eggers, compiling his account from interviews, sensibly resists rhetorical grandstanding, letting injustices speak for themselves. His skill is most evident in how closely he involves the reader in Zeitoun’s thoughts. Thrown into one of a series of wire cages, Zeitoun speculates, with a contractor’s practicality, that construction of his prison must have begun within a day or so of the hurricane.

The link to the Amazon page for more reviews and info:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeitoun-Dave-Eggers/dp/1934781630/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255482234&sr=1-1

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2011, 02:17:21 pm »

Oh my god, I must have read ALL of Bryson's books! My favourite of his remains "The Lost Continent" about his travels through America. I just finished "Thunderbolt kid" but must say I was disappointed.

Finished A Walk in the Woods by Bryson last year, loved it, and am now beginning A Short History of Nearly Everything. I think shakestheground, in particular, would love it. Have you read it, Tru?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2011, 12:53:37 pm »
I recommend a book I'm reading now, one day at a time.  ;D

It's called 365 Days of Walking the Red Road: The Native American Path to Leading a Spiritual Life Every Day. The author's name is Terri Jean, and it was copyrighted in 2003.

As the title suggests, the book is arranged like a daily "devotional," with a one-page reading for every day of the year. However, I think the title is a little misleading, as I'm not finding this to be a completely religious book. There are readings on Native American spirituality, to be sure, but the book is chock-full of interesting information on Native American history, personalities, philosophy, and folklore, as well as readings that could be characterized as more strictly "religious." In any case, I'm enjoying making my way through this book a lot, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about the spiritual and philosophical life of Native Americans.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #155 on: July 04, 2011, 01:24:28 pm »
I recommend a book I'm reading now, one day at a time.  ;D

It's called 365 Days of Walking the Red Road: The Native American Path to Leading a Spiritual Life Every Day. The author's name is Terri Jean, and it was copyrighted in 2003.

As the title suggests, the book is arranged like a daily "devotional," with a one-page reading for every day of the year. However, I think the title is a little misleading, as I'm not finding this to be a completely religious book. There are readings on Native American spirituality, to be sure, but the book is chock-full of interesting information on Native American history, personalities, philosophy, and folklore, as well as readings that could be characterized as more strictly "religious." In any case, I'm enjoying making my way through this book a lot, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about the spiritual and philosophical life of Native Americans.

That sounds good, Jeff.  I'll look for it.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »
Book I'm reading just blew my mind.

The Great Fire of Rome by S. Dando-Collins

In it, the author proposes that the people Nero actually persecuted for the fire weren't Christians...they were the worshippers of Isis.  History bears him out.  Most modern scholars agree that during Nero's reign the numbers of Christians was very small, not enough to persecute in the multitudes described by the ancient writers.  But the worshippers of Isis were wide-spread and the cult was unpopular at the time with Nero in particular.

Wonder if this idea knocks another block out from under the Christian establishment.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2011, 09:58:09 pm »
Book I'm reading just blew my mind.

The Great Fire of Rome by S. Dando-Collins

In it, the author proposes that the people Nero actually persecuted for the fire weren't Christians...they were the worshippers of Isis.  History bears him out.  Most modern scholars agree that during Nero's reign the numbers of Christians was very small, not enough to persecute in the multitudes described by the ancient writers.  But the worshippers of Isis were wide-spread and the cult was unpopular at the time with Nero in particular.

Wonder if this idea knocks another block out from under the Christian establishment.

I doubt it. Compared to the sex crimes committed by priests of the Roman Church and covered up by the hierarchy, this is nothing.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2011, 02:56:55 pm »
I doubt it. Compared to the sex crimes committed by priests of the Roman Church and covered up by the hierarchy, this is nothing.

Are the sex crimes committed by clergy - supposedly good Christians - making a dent in the number of people becoming members?

At least the archaeological findings and other studies can start knocking the shine off the self-righteous beliefs in some Christians.  It's becoming more and more common knowledge that Xmas really wasn't when Christ was born and instead is a hijacked holiday.  Same with Easter.  Christians were martyred in the Coliseum...er, no they weren't.  Christians were persecuted by their beliefs by pagans...er, no they weren't.  Jesus was born miraculously of a virgin...er, no he wasn't.  Jesus existed...er, well, there's some question.  And now, Christians were persecuted by Nero and burned as torches...er...probably not...  

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2011, 12:35:27 am »
vacation, vacation. :)

I'm reading Truman Capote's In Cold Blood and the anthology Wyoming Fence Lines at the moment.
In cold Blood, is of course the classic documentary-styled novel about the Clutter murders in rural Kansas in the late fifties. The subject matter, to me, isn't really interesting, and I'm reading it for the style alone. Especially the beginning, with Capote's s description of small town America, is masterful.

Wyoming Fence Lines, have been mentioned before. It contains prose and poetry, all written on the same subject: fence lines (both visible and invisible ones). A very good read.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2011, 06:45:23 pm »
vacation, vacation. :)

I'm reading Truman Capote's In Cold Blood and the anthology Wyoming Fence Lines at the moment.
In cold Blood, is of course the classic documentary-styled novel about the Clutter murders in rural Kansas in the late fifties. The subject matter, to me, isn't really interesting, and I'm reading it for the style alone. Especially the beginning, with Capote's s description of small town America, is masterful.

Wyoming Fence Lines, have been mentioned before. It contains prose and poetry, all written on the same subject: fence lines (both visible and invisible ones). A very good read.

Well written book - very terse.  I found it chilling and creepy.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2011, 12:24:04 pm »
Well written book - very terse.  I found it chilling and creepy.
Yeah, that´s a good description.

Today I´m reading Judy Shepard´s "The Meaning of Matthew". I got it in the mail today and am already half-way through - it´s a very difficult book to put down.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2011, 12:58:31 pm »
365 Days of Walking the Red Road: The Native American Path to Leading a Spiritual Life Every Day. The author's name is Terri Jean, and it was copyrighted in 2003.

A bit of follow-up:

I continue to endorse this book, but I think I need to add that perhaps some of its historical entries need to be read with caution.

Here's the entry for this past Saturday, September 3:

In Remembrance: On this day in 1783, en entire Brule village was massacred by 1,300 soldiers avenging the death of 30 soldiers who were killed for murdering Conquering Bear, the Brule chief, during an argument over livestock.

That's awful, but something is not right about this entry. Possibly this is just an example of accidental conflating of two events, but as written this cannot be correct. For one thing, in 1783, the year the U.S. formally achieved independence from Britain, I don't think U.S. territory yet extended far enough west to take in the lands of the Brule Sioux. On the other hand, the part about 30 soldiers killed during an argument over livestock rang the bell of memory.

I have no idea where that date, 1783, comes from, but I think the rest of the entry is referring to the destruction of a Brule village by troops under Gen. William S. Harney in September 1855. Harney's expedition was sent out in retaliation for an event that happened the previous year. In 1854, an idiot lieutenant from Fort Laramie named Gratton lost his entire command of 30 men, including himself, when he attacked a Brule village over a cow that had wandered away from a Mormon pioneer who was traveling along the Oregon Trail. The cow got spooked, and before she could do damage in the village, somebody killed her, and the Indians, sensibly, ate her. The Mormon complained to the military authorities at Fort Laramie. The Indians offered to make restitution for the cow, but the army insisted that the person who killed the cow be turned over for punishment, which the Indians refused to do. Gratton and his men were sent out to apprehend the cow killer, and it all went downhill from there.  :(