Author Topic: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???  (Read 91019 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2009, 12:29:58 am »
"Captain Corelli's Mandolin" was recommended to me ages ago. I'll have to read it for sure now. I also love Mary Renault novels. "The Persian Boy" is great, and "The Last of the Wine" is stellar! IMHO. "The Last Charioteer" is also wonderful, set during WW2, so essentially contemporary for Mary Renault, which was different for her since she usually focused on historical fiction set in ancient or Classical Greece. She was a historian of that era.

I love the novels of Mary Renault, and she also wrote an excellent biography of Alexander the Great, titled "The Nature of Alexander." What I love most about this book is the way Ms Renault so thoroughly brings Alexander to life. He ceases to be a dry-as-dust personage from the far distant past and becomes real, contemporary, living, breathing. These are a few of my (many) favourite quotes from "The Nature of Alexander." Yep, I'd love Alexander to be a friend of mine!

"His liquid eyes were grey. Their expressiveness altered Greek artistic convention."

"The loosely waving, heavy mane of hair, springing from the peak, its individual cut sloping down to the base of the neck when in south Greece the short curly crop was in fashion. Arrian, both of whose main sources were men who saw him often, says that he was very handsome."

"In Aristoxenus' memoirs it is said that a very pleasant scent came from his skin, and that there was a fragrance in his breath and all his body which permeated the clothes he wore."

It's from Aristoxenus, I'm sure, that Ms Renault created these two beautiful evocations of Alexander from "The Persian Boy," as described by Bogoas:

"He was seemly in sleep, his mouth closed, his breathing silent, his body fresh and sweet. The room smelled of sex and cedarwood, with a tang of salt from the sea. Autumn drew on, the night wind blew from the north. I drew the blanket over him; without waking, he moved to me in the great bed, seeking warmth."

"I used to wonder at first what faint pleasant scent he used, and would look about for the phial; but there was none, it was the gift of nature."

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

retropian

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2009, 11:14:25 pm »
If you're fond of Mary Renault, may I recommend this excellent biography by David Sweetman? It's very good.

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. I know very little of her life. I'd be interested on know why she love gay men so. She was gay herself I know, but what other Lesbian writers wrote, or write of the gay male experience? In Fanfiction there are many straight female writers who create male/male romances, which I can understand to a degree, but one doesn't find gay men writing a lot about the experience of women straight or gay, nor gay women writing about the experience of gay men. But maybe I'm just out of the loop in that regard and am unaware of an entire body of fiction.

retropian

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2009, 11:16:29 pm »
I love the novels of Mary Renault, and she also wrote an excellent biography of Alexander the Great, titled "The Nature of Alexander." What I love most about this book is the way Ms Renault so thoroughly brings Alexander to life. He ceases to be a dry-as-dust personage from the far distant past and becomes real, contemporary, living, breathing. These are a few of my (many) favourite quotes from "The Nature of Alexander." Yep, I'd love Alexander to be a friend of mine!

"His liquid eyes were grey. Their expressiveness altered Greek artistic convention."

"The loosely waving, heavy mane of hair, springing from the peak, its individual cut sloping down to the base of the neck when in south Greece the short curly crop was in fashion. Arrian, both of whose main sources were men who saw him often, says that he was very handsome."

"In Aristoxenus' memoirs it is said that a very pleasant scent came from his skin, and that there was a fragrance in his breath and all his body which permeated the clothes he wore."

It's from Aristoxenus, I'm sure, that Ms Renault created these two beautiful evocations of Alexander from "The Persian Boy," as described by Bogoas:

"He was seemly in sleep, his mouth closed, his breathing silent, his body fresh and sweet. The room smelled of sex and cedarwood, with a tang of salt from the sea. Autumn drew on, the night wind blew from the north. I drew the blanket over him; without waking, he moved to me in the great bed, seeking warmth."

"I used to wonder at first what faint pleasant scent he used, and would look about for the phial; but there was none, it was the gift of nature."

Oooh. I'll have to get this too! I love Mary Renault's Alexander novels and I have not read "The Nature of Alexander". I'm exited to read these!!!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2009, 12:08:38 am »

Oops, typo! Bagoas, not Bogoas. Mea culpa!

From Oliver Stone's movie, "Alexander" (OT - apologies):

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaI_zkayAxM[/youtube]
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2009, 12:49:57 am »
The Nature of Alexander was an excellent read.  Very much recommend it.

Didn't like The Persian Boy so much - it was beautifully written, but I felt for Hephaestion's pain.

injest

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2009, 01:23:25 am »
if anyone is interested we have  thread devoted to Mary Renault here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7090.0.html

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2009, 02:17:46 am »
The Nature of Alexander was an excellent read.  Very much recommend it.

Didn't like The Persian Boy so much - it was beautifully written, but I felt for Hephaestion's pain.

Ah, Alexander & Hephaestion. One of the truly great love stories of antiquity. So tragic. So sublime.  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2009, 02:24:21 am »
if anyone is interested we have  thread devoted to Mary Renault here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7090.0.html

Thanks for the reminder, Jess. I thoroughly enjoyed the Mary Renault thread.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2009, 10:38:09 pm »
I'm like my mom, I read a few books at a time LOL. Currently I am working on:

"The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson

Being a huge horror fanatic I am so engaged in the story, I feel like I am inside the house, or travelling with the heroine. I feel like I am experiencing all this with her, and I am only on the fourth chapter! I'm spellbound so far.

"A Lifelong Passion: The Story of Nicholas & Alexandra In Their Own Words"

Being a fan of Russian history and Russian culture in general I am enthralled with this collection arranged chronologically of diaries and letters from the last Tzar and Tzaritsa of Russia, their daughters and son, their distant relatives, friends, servants, and towards the end the guards who kept them under arrest have some entries too. The book starts in 1881 and then skips ahead a few years, and currently I am in 1890s somewhere (my aide dropped the book while cleaning and lost my place for me! I know I am somewhere in the 40s but I can't remember where). Anyway, it's lovely to see their romance blossom. I am also intrigued to read Grand Duke Konstantin's "sinful" exploits (he was, in his opinion, "cursed" with homosexuality though he was, of course, married and had a few children). Anyway, great introduction to the private lives of the last Tzar and his court.

That's all I am currently reading really.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

injest

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2009, 12:49:58 am »
I am reading "The Survivor's Club"...VERY interesting!

the author has been making the rounds on the talk shows lately, this book talks about real life emergencies and tries to show why some people survive an emergency and others don't. (beyond chance).

covers plane crashes, animal attacks, crime.

very compelling reading.