Author Topic: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???  (Read 90226 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2007, 01:54:38 pm »

huh...well, do we need another tragic straight love story in light of "Titanic"?

or another monster movie in light of "Creature of the Black Lagoon"?

or another war movie in light of "Private Ryan"?

or another happy straight love story in light of "Sleepless in Seattle"?

or another coming of age story in light of "Stand By Me"?

or another story of the love of an animal in light of "The Black Stallion"?

shall I go on?

If we are only gonna have one of each genre, the movie industry will be a very limited one..

Nicely said Jess!!  :-*
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2007, 02:28:33 pm »
"Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Brilliant.

And funny!

:)
...it is life, more than death, that is without limits.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2007, 07:18:11 pm »
Believe it or not I am reading The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales and having the best time  ;D .  Bob bought me this beautiful copy so we could get ready for our little bundle of joy...when ever she arrives.    I just finished Suzanne Brockmann's " All Through the Night"
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2007, 11:56:30 pm »
OK, so far this fall I've read:

Pagan Holiday by Tony Perrottet - travelogue of a man and his pregnant wife as they do a tour of Mediterranean areas that were hit by ancient Roman/Greek tourists 2000 years ago.  Amusing and interesting read.

The Looking Glass Wars - Scholastic book - by Frank Beddor a new take on the Alice in Wonderland books where Alice is Alyss a princess escaping from her devastated homeland - Wonderland - with the help of her albino tutor and her bodyguard Hatter Madigan.  Had it been more in depth with better characterization, it would have been a must read.

Imperium by Robert Harris - same guy who did Pompeii, Enigma, Archangel, Fatherland and the book about Hitler's diaries.  Interesting, but it did not draw me in as well as Pompeii did.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins - well argued as usual, but still a bit dry.

The Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd - I tend to like to read books by women who've made religious conversions away from conventional religions.  This one was very accessible and sympathetic.

Long Way Round by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman & Robert Uhlig - a guilty pleasure.  The story of their trip around the world on motorcycles.  I wanted to read about one of my favorite actors in real life situations to see if I would even like the man if I met him.  Yep,  ;D but he's high maintenance.  A true artist, emotive, tempermental, moody and with a great heart surrounding his devil-may-care attitude.

Lord John and Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon.  Main character is a gay man in 18th century London, he's a noble, soldier and his is a mystery series but what I love about this series is that his journey toward solving the mystery and the people he meets turn out to be more important to him - and the reader - than solving the mystery.

injest

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2007, 12:10:42 am »
I saw Ewan on the Tonight Show...he was saying when he came thru Oklahoma he tried to stay at a Holiday Inn and they wouldn't rent him a room because of how he looked... :laugh: :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2007, 12:16:53 am »
I saw Ewan on the Tonight Show...he was saying when he came thru Oklahoma he tried to stay at a Holiday Inn and they wouldn't rent him a room because of how he looked... :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Yep, he was very gracious about it on TV, even accepting the free hotel stay voucher offered him by the chain in apology.  In the book, he was shocked at the prejudice shown someone who walks off the street dressed in bike gear, with a heavy beard and moustache, dirty from the road wanting a room.  He accepted the voucher, but obviously doesn't stay at Holiday Inn normally and says he wouldn't now if he had to.

injest

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2007, 05:06:27 pm »
I am currently reading "The Year of Living Bibilcally" by A J Jacobs...

has anyone else read this? I can't make out if he is mocking it or not...

but it is amusing. The part where he had to shoo a pigeon off a egg and out of the room so he could hold her egg up and say a blessing without letting her see (in case it bothered her) made me laugh out loud!

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2007, 03:05:35 am »
"Anansi Boys" and "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman: Both excellent.

"Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore : Everyone should read this book. Mainly because they would enjoy it.

"Fluke or I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings" by Christopher Moore. More literary enjoyment, set amongst whale researchers in Hawaii.

"Make the Most of Your Time on Earth: A Rough Guide to Planet Earth" : 1000 travel experiences, with pretty pictures.

"This Book Will Save Your Life" by A.M. Holmes: Well, it was good. Not great. After reading I was just left wondering, "from what exactly?"

And of course...."Quantum Mechanics" and "An Informal Introduction to Turbulence". Stimulating, to say the least.

:)

...it is life, more than death, that is without limits.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2007, 05:17:50 pm »

About to begin another novel by brilliant writer: Sarah Waters called Affinity.  Got it in the mail today!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2007, 12:48:47 am »

Lesbian writer Jane Rule died on November 27 of complications from cancer at age 76.  Her book Desert of the Heart was the basis for the classic (and wonderfully sexy)  lesbian film Desert Hearts.  My favourite book of hers was Contract with the World.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Rule

Bibliography
Desert of the Heart (1964)
This Is Not For You (1970)
Against the Season (1971)
Lesbian Images (1975)
Theme for Diverse Instruments (1975)
The Young in One Another's Arms (1977)
Contract With the World (1980)
Outlander (1981)
Inland Passage and Other Stories (1982)
A Hot-Eyed Moderate (1985)