Author Topic: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???  (Read 91001 times)

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2007, 03:34:04 pm »
Next - Michael Crichton. Genetic Engineering in the classic "world gone mad" (right now) Crichton style. A little melodramatic. And kinda blah.

In the Skin of a Lion - Michael Ondaatje. In which the characters of Hannah, Patrick, and Caravaggio from The English Patient make their first appearances. Don't let the film version of The English Patient scare you off! His writing is transcendental...poetry disguised as prose.

Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer. This is pretty much, like, the best book ever. Ok, maybe only the last ten years or so. Too many awards to mention. "Read it and you'll feel altered, chastened - seared in the fire of something new."

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold. Seems excellent so far...
...it is life, more than death, that is without limits.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2007, 04:09:58 pm »
Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer. This is pretty much, like, the best book ever. Ok, maybe only the last ten years or so. Too many awards to mention. "Read it and you'll feel altered, chastened - seared in the fire of something new."

I loved that book as well as the movie, but my favourite Foer book is Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close. A great Catcher in the Rye type of book set in NY after 9/11.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2008, 07:50:34 pm »
Currently reading -

A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver.

as well as:

Black like us: A Century of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual African American Fiction
-
a rather remarkable anthology with amazing work by 36 different authors over a period of 100 years.

Offline bec

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • myspace
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2008, 07:18:39 am »
just finished re-reading the harry potter series (big kid at heart  :laugh: )
not sure what to read next, any one recommend a good read ???
Why so serious..............It's all part of the plan...........lets put a smile on that face

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2008, 07:31:00 am »
I,m a big Stephen King fan, and my faves fo his are: "Salems lot",...."The Shining"....."Needful Things".
I also read, "A boy called it". I will NEVER read it again. EVER. That woman was beyond evil. The devil himself must have given birth to her. >:(
I like historical novels, such as "Imortal Queen", which tells the story of Mary Queen of Scots, thats very good.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2008, 10:12:56 pm »
I am reading OSCAR WILDE AND A DEATH OF NO IMPORTANCE.  It's quite good and it reads like something Oscar Wilde might have written. Mr. Wilde stumbles upon the body of a young male friend of his he's scheduled to meet for a "tutoring" appointment. The book is set in 1888, before ppl knew about his sexual orientation.  Of course, it's certainly implied and the police are most interested in why Mr. Wilde is associating with street "urchins."   I strongly recommend it.  Arthur Conan Doyle is also in the book as well, mostly as a secondary character who comes and goes.  The story is told the from the perspective of real life poet Robert Sherard.

http://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Wilde-Death-No-Importance/dp/1416551743/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202090978&sr=1-1

Here's the Amazon.com link.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2008, 09:53:49 pm »
Just finished reading, The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic by Steven Johnson.

Not as evocative as I'd hoped.  It was alright, a short easy read about London's cholera epidemic.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2008, 12:49:04 am »
"On Brokeback Mountain" , so far I am blown away, I just love it.

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2008, 12:49:30 am »
Hello, I hope it's alright if i join your book club.

Has anyone read "A road to paradise" by Paullina Simon's

The road to Paradise, a story of intense friendship, fierce loyalty, and love, will take them to the last place they expected to be.

I just finished it, It's amazing.

Anybody?
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2008, 07:10:12 pm »

Currently..

* The Slow Fix by Ivan E. Coyote
* To Believe in Women: What Lesbians Have Done for America - A History  by Lillian Faderman
* Emily Dickinson - Selected Poems (Dover Publications)
* Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words by Susan G. Wooldridge