Author Topic: How Are You Finishing the Story? - Be An Annie Proulx Award Winner  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Since Brokeback Mountain came out, many of us have been working on our own personal growth projects - to stop missing opportunities, to come out of the closet, to take on a new life challenge, or just to come to terms with something in life.  Some of you have already posted some of these stories on the forums, and if you have, please feel free to post a quick summary. 

Be a winner of the "finishing the story in your own life" award by sharing your stories and progress here!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 08:09:45 am by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: How Are You Finishing the Story? - Be An Annie Proulx Award Winner
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 03:05:12 pm »
I've posted ad nauseum about this here and elsewhere before, so I'll (try to) keep it brief.

First, Brokeback Mountain has given me the inspiration, motivation, and courage to no longer remain silent whenever I hear anyone making a homophobic statement or a bigoted statement of any kind.  I used to just let it go and change the subject - didn't want to rock the boat - but now I ask the speaker what makes him or her feel that way.  Stops most of them in their tracks.  Once or twice I've gotten into it with a Bible-thumper who actually thinks they have a valid argument for it, but my response (again, something I never used to have the guts to say) is that the way I read the Bible is that Jesus was trying to tell us we are all brothers and sisters and we should all love one another unconditionally and exactly as we are.  That usually does the trick.

Second, it has made my marriage better.  My husband and I have connected in a way we never have before through our admiration and love of this movie.  He wept openly when he saw it, and he has never done that in front of me before.  Not when his mother died (I still don't think he's cried, at least directly, about that), and not when our most beloved dog we had for 13 years died.

Third, my husband has told me that this movie changed the way he thinks about gay men.  I always thought of him as being very progressive, but he admitted he still had some deep-rooted bias against them.  Not anymore.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 03:23:41 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:15:09 am »
I certainly take more chances and risks now, and try not to be so conservative and Ennis-y, like I used to be.  It seems to be working out very well, as I'm happier this way, I think.  I'm sure doing more things I might not have allowed myself to do before, and that's cool.  ;D

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:02:56 pm »
I am doing what it takes to be a "Finsih the Story" Award Winner.  :)  I have wondered why Barb and Eric have that designation in their profile.  Will I get one too now when I click "post?"

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 10:01:58 pm »
All you need to do to be a winner is tell us how you are finishing the story in your own life.  What has changed for you personally since the movie hit you. 
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 12:20:01 am »
Since I already HAVE the award (through error, or on purpose), I thought I'd better write something here to make it legitimate.

Everything in life is more interesting than it was: people, books, paintings, photographs, but I do little--except write, and give an occasionalk tour at the Asian Art Museum. I no longer cook, or clean the house, or go to new movies, much. I see an occasional friend. I talk to an occasional ex-husband  (with whom I have lived since 1966, but we got divorced in '88. he just forgot to move out).

Since May 3, I've published on fanfiction 5 stories and one poem (over 20,000 words)--ya may want to DISREGARD the poem, although some people over there seem to be--at least starting it. I have been prequelling, sequelling, esplaining, and doing everthting to the story, except wresting Ennis and Jack out of their truly tragic lives, and having them live happily ever after. I love to read these stories in which they do, but can't write one. I try to tell a little truth in each story, be it about  people, work, or even sex.

I have met an histertically funny, intelligent friend on the Dave Cullen board, whose e-mails leave me gasping for breath, they are so hilarious. He also seems to offer unlimited rides to Brokeback showings, and refuses to take any money for gas.

Sometimes, I feel like "if now 'twere to die,  'twere now to be most haopy,"  (anyone who's read my stories is sick of quotations!), and sometimes, I want to live forever. I'm 71.

Needless to say, nobody I know in his right mind will even talk to me anymore. Even if I'm talking about the Da Vinci Code, Writing down the bones,, Asian Art, or what have you--they all know in their heart of hearts that I am really talking about "Brokeback Mountain," and a look of suspicion settles in their faces...

I have no idea how I got here, or why Phillip gave me the award (BEFORE I posted here), but it is nice to be in such exalted company.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:11:08 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:38:14 pm »
I thought this would be a fun thread to bump; we can look back and talk about whether we've made progress toward finishing the story over five f'in years (or however long it's been for you).

Me, in 2008 I left an unhappy marriage -- reminded me a little of Ennis and Alma, though neither of us was gay -- sold the house and moved back with my kids to our home state. I struggled for almost three years as an underemployed single mom, then finally this spring got a more stable job.

The story isn't finished yet, but it's progressing.

How about y'all?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 11:24:59 pm »
Hey Katherine,

For me, I'm 19 novels and short stories later... still writing gay detective stories.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”