Author Topic: First private viewings  (Read 2620 times)

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
First private viewings
« on: May 02, 2006, 03:06:15 pm »
It's less than a week since I got my DVD, and have already viewed BBM twice in the comfort of my home. I'm wondering if I will become as addicted to this movie as Howard Hughes had become addicted to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (another great movie I love) in his final days of madness.
One thing I'm unable to do with BBM, is imagining to view only a part of it. I really believe it is unfair to this story to just review only a part of it at any given time as it is worth of my complete dedication. So, unless I have enough time to dedicate myself to it completely, I rather prefer to give up and replan the viewing. Anybody else has this same feelings?
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: First private viewings
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 05:01:48 pm »
If I don't have time to watch the entire movie, I can manage to turn it off when they are leaving Brokeback Mountain. But if I let it run past the scene where Jack drives away in his truck, I have to watch the entire thing. There just doesn't seem to be any other natural stopping point.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:54:03 pm »
Yes, Luigi, I felt the same way. I felt it a "betrayal" to watch only parts. Probably because I would just skip the last 40 minutes altogether to keep the boys alive and in love. I try not to watch it in pieces but it does happen.

O0

Heathen

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:28:05 pm »
I went through a long phase when I really couldn't handle watching the last half of the film.  I'd usually turn it off right after the motel scene.  My reaction to the second half really intensified for a while after I got the DVD and after engaging in a lot of the discussions here and on imdb.  I've gotten back on track again so that I do tend to watch it straight through again.  The flashback scene nearly kills me every time lately.  I truly can't watch it without getting teary.
A sad state of affairs.
 ::)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 11:32:51 pm »
The flashback scene nearly kills me every time lately.  I truly can't watch it without getting teary.
A sad state of affairs.
 ::)

Me, too.  I bawl from that point until the end.  I was watching it in bed one night when my partner came in and noticed I was crying.  He was all concerned until he saw that I was watching the DVD again. 
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 11:38:03 pm »
I completely am with you luigival. I can't watch it only part way through. Part of it is that same feel you describe, of somehow betraying the story if I don't completely commit to seeing it through. The other part is that once it gets going, I'm so into the story I can't tear myself away.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 02:49:01 pm »
Thanks to everybody. I really appreciated how this complete feeling of committmment is so widespread.
They were two friends of mine