Author Topic: What happens right after Tent Scene 1?  (Read 15211 times)

slayers_creek_oth

What happens right after Tent Scene 1?
« on: May 02, 2006, 09:56:03 pm »
This may have already been discussed but I was talkin to McK about it and was wondering....

What happens right after they 'get it on?'  Do they just lay back down and go to sleep?  You know what I mean.....they wake up the next morning side by side but what happens inbetween?  No talkin?  No cuddlin?  Nothing? 

I've always wondered......

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: What happens right after Tent Scene 1?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 10:13:38 pm »
I always thought so... I think it says in the story something like that as well.  That next morning Ennis looks pretty rough and they are both pretty unsure of what to say to each other so I doubt they said anything right after it happened.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 10:14:15 pm »
I've always had the impression that the boys fell into a drunken sleep really fast after their first tryst. The scene of Ennis collapsing onto Jack's back suggests both emotional and physical exhaustion to me, and then there's that cutaway shot to the tent's exterior, conveying a quieter mood following the passionate outburst that just occurred inside.

However, one must take note that we see Jack the next morning, asleep with his coat on. He took the coat off when making his moves on Ennis, so he had to be conscious for long enough after the sex to put it back on. But I still don't feel it likely that Ennis and Jack had much conscious interaction after Ennis's orgasm.

Just my thoughts...

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:16:32 pm by moremojo »

TJ

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 10:17:19 pm »
In the book, they went to back to sleep almost immediately. (Ennis had snored on the canvas floor of the tent before Jack invited him into the bedroll - Ennis did not try to sleep outside in the book that night as in the movie.) When Ennis woke up in the book, Jack's butt was against his crotch.

That drifting off to sleep immediately afterwards seems to be what was in the movie, too; because when Ennis wakes up after it is getting light outside, his jeans are still pushed down below his hips.

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 10:21:25 pm »
I don't believe much happened after the initial sex scene. After the emotion and sexual energy was released, I'll bet the guys were spent and just fell asleep. I do think, however, that it's significant that Ennis stayed in the tent for the remainder of the night rather than going back outside. Knowing him, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had lit a new fire and taken any coats/blankets he could find and spent the rest of the night outdoors... He didn't, so even though the scene was "raw" it was something the guys needed to get out of the way so they could move on with their feelings.
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

TJ

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 10:24:24 pm »
Added comment here in regard to the book version: Since both of the guys slept some inside the tent, Ennis had snored before his teeth started chattering/hammering/yammering, before Ennis got into Jack's bedroll, Ennis was not as drunk as he was aroud 2 AM when he asked Jack for a blanket to sleep outside.

Also, in the book, when Ennis got into Jack's bedroll, their intimacy deepened. That means it was not an all-of-a-sudden thing when Jack seized Ennis' left hand and put it on his erect cock. Apparently Jack did that because he had felt that Ennis had rise in his Levi's.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:31:09 pm »
The story also tells us that Ennis woke up the next morning with "a top-grade headache." In other words, he was hung over.

Jack doesn't seem to be as drunk as Ennis when he tries to tell Ennis he would be better off sleeping in the tent, so I'm guessing he was sober enough to get his coat back on after Ennis withdrew and fell asleep. I seem to remember someone suggesting somewhere that Jack having his coat on the next morning was a continuity error, but I don't think it was.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 10:33:53 pm »
I seem to remember someone suggesting somewhere that Jack having his coat on the next morning was a continuity error, but I don't think it was.

Damn thats probably why it lost the Oscar!  LOL JK... ::)

I doubt it was an error.....not in an Ang Lee film.....

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 10:36:46 pm »
I seem to remember someone suggesting somewhere that Jack having his coat on the next morning was a continuity error, but I don't think it was.

Is it a continuity error if between shots a character puts their coat back on?  It was cold right???  I thought C.E. only related to a change in sets/wardrobe/etc if something changed that could not be explained?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 11:15:12 pm »
Well, Ennis seemingly didn't even have the energy to pull his pants back up before falling asleep that night.  I wonder if Jack was "fully dressed" aside from the coat.  If you know what I mean.  When Ennis sits up and gazes at Jack (he seems to look at him for a rather long, drawn-out moment), what is he seeing and more importantly what is he thinking?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie