Author Topic: The Lightning Flat scene -- by naun  (Read 2465 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
The Lightning Flat scene -- by naun
« on: July 17, 2007, 08:05:02 am »
The Lightning Flat scene (SPOILERS)   
  by - naun (Sat Feb 4 2006 06:34:30 )   

UPDATED Sat Feb 18 2006 02:43:45
I saw the film for the fourth time last night, and want to try out an idea that occurred to me about the Lightning Flat sequence. It's the great culminating point of the film, of course, but I think it is also a kind of recapitulation or summary or bringing together of many of the film's important themes, events and images. Has anyone suggested this previously? I'm sure the idea has been there, whether or not it's been spelt out.

Most of the points below have already been made in other threads, by others as well as myself, but I wanted to relate them specifically to this scene:

1. The shot of Ennis' arrival in the truck, and Jack's mother waiting at the door, subtly recalls Jack and Ennis' first meeting outside Aguirre's trailer.

2. Indoors we meet Jack's father, who is a threatening, domineering type very like Joe Aguirre.

3. The symbolism of Jack's mother placing her hand on Ennis' shoulder (and later, around her own neck) develops the visual motif we first see in the dead rancher scene, where Ennis' father lays his hand paternally on the boy's shoulder, then tightens his grip around his neck.

4. The cross on the wall recalls Ennis and Jack's discussion about the Pentecost, and Jack's "Walking Water Jesus" song. In another shot, a cowboy hat hung on the wall is seen over Ennis' head like a halo. (Others will have better credentials than I to discuss the significance of Christian themes in the film.)

5. Ennis goes up the stairs (=mountain) to Jack's room, which is full of tokens of his cowboy aspirations.

6. Ennis looks out of the window, as he does before the reunion scene. We then see the window from the vantage-point of the closet, a shot that foreshadows the juxtaposition of the window and the closet in Ennis' trailer in the closing shot of the film.

7. There's a stopped clock on the table: "never enough time".

8. Obviously, the shirts are a token of their encounter on the mountain.

9. As Ennis discovers the shirts we hear again the music that follows the first tent scene, emphasizing the idea that Ennis' discovery has been a kind of reunion.

10. Ennis' departure with the paper bag, and the drive across a darkened landscape, recall his arrival at the beginning of the film. Both of these shots are also very reminiscent of the "Ennis as night fire" shot on the mountain, where Jack sees Ennis in the distance as "a red spark on the huge black mass of mountain".

Re: The Lightning Flat scene (SPOILERS)   
  by - Flickfan-3 (Sat Feb 4 2006 06:46:49 )

naun--much insight to assimilate and develop further...don't see anything that does not work...Ang Lee's artful symmetry comes into focus again

just goes to show you--what goes around, comes around...love that RoseAnn Roseannadanna girl...

I am sure Casey and the regulars (does that sound like a garage band or what) will be checking it out soon...

"...That's the beauty of argument, Joey. If you argue correctly, you're never wrong..."

by - adamx013 (Sat Feb 4 2006 07:39:33 )   

Wow - all excellent points! You have a keen eye for this sort of thing.

by - naun (Sat Feb 4 2006 08:04:16 )   

Wow - all excellent points! You have a keen eye for this sort of thing.

Thanks, but I just want to emphasize that most of these are not original observations, but things that other people have already mentioned, especially in the threads initiated by Casey Cornelius.

by - lnicoll (Sat Feb 4 2006 07:47:43 )   

Very interesting observations. Thanks for posting this. I also noticed that Jack's mom is wearing a tan or light colored dress, topped by a blue sweater. That subtly conveys the shirts we will see in a few minutes and also Jack and Ennis's color: Jack is blue; Ennis is tan.

by - retropian (Sun Feb 5 2006 23:38:19 )

Ah. A lovely observation about Jack's mom.

Love all these subtle quiet and poetic touches that Ang Lee has so carefully woven into the film.

by - zigzo_pazoru (Sat Feb 4 2006 07:53:29 )

I'm on bended knee. Marry me you sunuvabitch <333

Points 5, 6, 7, & 10 are entirely geniusized. There needs to be a BBM encyclopedia explaining EVERY subtle detail, because every subtle detail is so perfect. Yah, there I go. How many times to I have to see this film to catch everything? ^_~

~~~~~~~~
I'll quote whatever I feel like quoting, GOSH!!

Re: BBM encyclopedia   
  by - houstonangel88 (Sat Feb 4 2006 08:09:47 )

UPDATED Mon Feb 6 2006 12:06:37
"BBM encyclopedia explaining EVERY subtle detail, because every subtle detail is so perfect"

Ha ha I agree with zigzo's idea, let's have the following scholars:

CaseyCornelius, rptrod, delalluvia, jmmgallagher,naun, flashframe777, retropian,deliane, Bannerhill, pyotr-3, Julie01...etc

to start a BBM encyclopedia right away   

BTW, if I miss any important players, don't get mad... just include yourself in.

You know, houstonangel 188,   
  by - Julie01 (Mon Feb 6 2006 00:59:01 )

It hurts not to be short-listed, even if you don't deserve to be!

"You come back and see us again"--Jack's mother
But Hollywood would never make a movie about us.--Mysterious Skin

by - naun (Sat Feb 4 2006 09:19:47 )   

every subtle detail is so perfect.

Some subtle details are just delightful in themselves and don't need any explaining. One little detail I picked up last night was at the beginning of the Fourth of July scene. When they light the fuse for the fireworks, there's a little boy who looks on with a look of fear and excitement on his face. The shot lasts maybe all of two seconds. Ang Lee's films are full of these loving little throwaway touches.

by - pyotr-3 (Sat Feb 4 2006 09:23:38 )

Don't forget: AFTER the Lightning Flat scene, Ennis' truck crosses the same mountain landscape as the one he crossed at the beginning of the film... BUT he is going in the opposite direction at the end.

by - meryl_88 (Sat Feb 4 2006 10:22:43 )

UPDATED Sat Feb 4 2006 13:39:15
Thanks, naun. I love to think about all these connecting ideas.

In particular, the comparison of the two scenes where Ennis is looking out the window is touching, because he will never see Jack come driving up again. In the past he ran out to embrace him, but now he enters the tiny closet to find the two old shirts, hung one inside the other, in a heartbreaking imitation of that embrace. Your mention of the stopped clock is also very telling and sad.

It also occurred to me at my last viewing that this scene is lacking something else that we have come to associate with Jack in life and that was very noticeable as he waited for Ennis to dash down the stairs at their reunion--the wind.

by - iamlaron (Mon Feb 6 2006 01:44:42 )   

ohhh, my heart is breaking at the memory of it, beautiful imagery to be sure!

I love that Ennis props open Jack's window and that you hear the sound of a Raven or Crow (tons of symbolism in those birds) instead of the constant wind.

That gesture is also a huge pull at my heart because of the suggestion that Ennis is seeing through Jacks eyes here as a sort of tribute to Jack's life and memory. He's looking out at the view a young Jack faced every day as he grew up, almost like a peek into the past at part of what made Jack who he was. Ennis sat on the same small stool in front of the window, the stool suggesting that Jack must have spent a lot of time gazing out that window .. . imagining a whole big world full of the potential only a young mind can concieve, probably never imagining how it would end for him or that his one true love would someday remember him and mourn for him over that same view.

by - naun (Mon Feb 6 2006 02:07:15 )   

Ennis props open Jack's window and that you hear the sound of a Raven or Crow (tons of symbolism in those birds) instead of the constant wind.

Oh, nice observation. I think I do remember this detail. There's also a star or something painted on the building that you see through the window -- I'd be interested if you or anyone else has thoughts on that.

But regarding the wind symbolism mentioned by yourself and and Meryl, somebody did suggest that by opening the window Ennis lets in the breeze, i.e. Jack's spirit, and that this connects up with the next shot where it's almost as if Jack is looking out of the closet toward Ennis.

There's an almost supernatural quality to the whole Lightning Flat scene, emphasized by the lighting and the music.

by - meryl_88 (Mon Feb 6 2006 08:23:12 )

But regarding the wind symbolism mentioned by yourself and and Meryl, somebody did suggest that by opening the window Ennis lets in the breeze, i.e. Jack's spirit, and that this connects up with the next shot where it's almost as if Jack is looking out of the closet toward Ennis.

I loved that! It still gives me goosebumps. Maybe you could say that the almost imperceptible breeze that comes in is the "ghost" of that wind that was rattling down the street at the reunion scene.

Another nice little detail we learn in this scene: Jack gets from his father the habit of saying "Tell you what ..." each time he has something significant to say.

I hadn't noticed that. Very cool.

Regarding whether Jack could never have brought either Randall or Ennis up to Lightning Flat because of his father's hostility: I somehow get the feeling that Jack had become the head of that family as he grew older. He had a well-to-do wife, was the provider of a grandson, was in a position to be a benefactor and caretaker to his aging parents. John Twist probably had realized that he had to respect that, however grudgingly, and put up with Jack's plans. I also doubt that he would have been brave enough to confront Jack about the truth of his relationship with either man. His bark was worse than his bite (to recall Casey's Cerberus parallel). ;)

[Post deleted]   

by - meryl_88 (Sun Apr 9 2006 14:33:55 )   

Nena, I think the closet is most definitely meant as a symbol of the secret nature of Jack's and Ennis's love. It's been a common way to describe hidden homosexual relationships for years, but in BBM, Ang Lee uses the image so eloquently that it transcends any hint of cliche attached to it.

by - naun (Sun Apr 9 2006 14:39:44 )   

I think the closet is most definitely meant as a symbol of the secret nature of Jack's and Ennis's love. It's been a common way to describe hidden homosexual relationships for years, but in BBM, Ang Lee uses the image so eloquently that it transcends any hint of cliche attached to it.

I want to think that the film will change the way people think of the metaphor. Many people probably think of the closet as hiding something shameful or embarrassing. In Brokeback what the closet holds is cherished memories and deep regrets.

Finally I get it!   
  by - lauragigs (Sun Apr 9 2006 14:24:14 )   

"I love that Ennis props open Jack's window and that you hear the sound of a Raven or Crow . . . instead of the constant wind."

". . . the almost imperceptible breeze that comes in is the 'ghost' of that wind."

When Ennis propped the window open I kept waiting for a strong breeze to flow and move the curtains, because that's the cliche we're used to seeing at such a moment. But now I get it: Ang made the statement in the opposite way -- having no such breeze -- because it's associated with Jack's life force, which is gone.

Thanks, everybody. 

Re: Finally I get it!   
  by - pipedream (Sun Apr 9 2006 14:39:36 )   

UPDATED Sun Apr 9 2006 14:40:54
Ang made the statement in the opposite way -- having no such breeze -- because it's associated with Jack's life force, which is gone.
Absolutely right! That's why we hear the raven: the reminder of death! Remember the first tent scene: there you can hear the hoot of an owl just before Ennis enters the tent which can be seen as an omen for impending disaster and death (just created an extra thread on that today).

If ever I should tell the moment: Oh, stay! You are so beautiful! Then you may cast me into chains, then shall I smile upon perdition! (Goethe)

Re: Finally I get it!   
  by - meryl_88 (Sun Apr 9 2006 15:44:58 )

Remember the first tent scene: there you can hear the hoot of an owl just before Ennis enters the tent which can be seen as an omen for impending disaster and death (just created an extra thread on that today).

That's very interesting, pipedream. I hadn't thought of the owl in that way, but you're right. I'll check out your thread.

I want to think that the film will change the way people think of the metaphor. Many people probably think of the closet as hiding something shameful or embarrassing. In Brokeback what the closet holds is cherished memories and deep regrets.

Amen to that!

The Shadow   
  by - naun (Mon Apr 10 2006 03:50:49 )   

UPDATED Mon Apr 10 2006 04:03:15
somebody did suggest that by opening the window Ennis lets in the breeze, i.e. Jack's spirit, and that this connects up with the next shot where it's almost as if Jack is looking out of the closet toward Ennis.

One further thought about this scene. I've always been struck by the shadow that Ennis casts on the closet wall as he finds the shirts. Maybe the shadow is Jack?

by - fernly (Sat Feb 4 2006 15:21:07 )   

Thanks, naun, lots to think about.
Something I've been wondering about...Jack's dad was so hostile to Ennis, and to Jack, it seems that Jack never could have moved back to Lightning Flat, whether with Ennis or Randall. It breaks my heart to think of him presenting that idea to his parents, his mom not able to respond to it, at least not in front of her husband, and Jack's dad probably insulting and criticizing him. But Jack obviously kept trying to maintain a relationship with his parents, just as he did with Ennis. The courage of Jack's soul just floors me.

by - b_hynds (Sun Feb 5 2006 23:24:30 )

"The courage of Jack's soul just floors me."
 I love Jack f'in Twist!

"I did once" - BBM

by - naun (Mon Feb 6 2006 02:36:26 )   

UPDATED Mon Feb 6 2006 02:38:17
Something I've been wondering about...Jack's dad was so hostile to Ennis, and to Jack, it seems that Jack never could have moved back to Lightning Flat, whether with Ennis or Randall.

I wondered about that too. It says something about how psychologically real the film is that you would stop and wonder about a detail like that. But you're right about Jack. He never knows when to quit. Of course, in the end that is his downfall.

Another nice little detail we learn in this scene: Jack gets from his father the habit of saying "Tell you what ..." each time he has something significant to say. Ennis is obviously aware of this habit, because in one of the later scenes by the river he turns his head and looks at Jack when he says this. Then when Jack goes on, "Sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it," Ennis doesn't know how to respond. Lovely little touch, again very real psychologically.

by - anya_angie (Mon Feb 6 2006 05:24:22 )   

This may sound like a silly observation coming from me, but here's my take on the shirts scene.

The shirts were hidden in an inner closet, and for me that brought back memories of the "I ain't queer" scene. Ennis was so much in the closet he wasn't even admitting it to himself, Jack obviously was a little more open.

Hope that makes sense...

GO STEELERS!

20 Years of Dedication. 7 Minutes. 2 Days. 1 Shot at Glory. Evgeni Plushenko

by - Flickfan-3 (Sun Feb 5 2006 23:17:28 )

naun
just thought of parallel between what Lureen tells Ennis about how Jack was always full of wishful thinking---when she quoted the line from Big Rock Candy Mountain about the perfect world--can't think of the exact phrasing now...but about how Jack was full of ideas that never came to pass---that is exactly what his dad describes to Ennis--that Jack was always promising to come with someone who would work to whip the ranch back in shape--promises, promises, promises to two people he could never please apparently...

"...That's the beauty of argument, Joey. If you argue correctly, you're never wrong..."

by - naun (Mon Feb 6 2006 01:46:53 )   

how Jack was always full of wishful thinking

Funny you should mention that, because I was just thinking that the cowboy-on-a-horse figurine in Jack's bedroom (another parallel with an earlier scene) reminded me of Don Quixote, who is of course the archetypal wishful thinker. I may be just getting carried away here, of course.

by - nonon99_99 (Sun Feb 5 2006 23:31:48 )

Yeah, I have been thinking the symbolism the clock, this is a well interpretation of it.

by - LedgerGyllenhaalFan (Mon Feb 6 2006 01:58:42 )   

UPDATED Mon Feb 6 2006 01:59:38
naun - u r a genius work of art!! I personally was too involved with the movie to notice much of what you had mentioned. That's why I need to marry you so that way you can point it out to me. I do remember some of your observations that you had made and they all make sense!!!! I need to re-watch it again!!!!! You have a wonderful eye for this kind of stuff.

by - RobertPlant (Mon Feb 6 2006 02:01:14 )

The stopped clock could mean death...
"to stop the clock" in many places just means "to die".

Re: The stopped clock in Lightening Flats scene   
  by - Flickfan-3 (Mon Feb 6 2006 06:50:22 )   

tradition used to be to stop all the clocks in the house at the time of death and not start them again until the funeral...maybe Jack's mom stopped the clock at his time of death or maybe Jack stopped the clock after that Brokeback summer ....interesting to speculate if it was just a cheap little "pissant" ol' clock that stopped on its own---ACCIDENTAL DEATH reminder then, guys....just couldn't resist

Re: The stopped clock in Lightening Flats scene   
  by - RobertPlant (Mon Feb 6 2006 07:03:21 )

UPDATED Mon Feb 6 2006 07:04:23
The hour is a quarter to nine...any symbolism in this?
Can we make some interesting association? 

8.45= 8+4+5= 17 (number on the mailbox...)

I'm JOKING

by - Frank_Z (Mon Feb 6 2006 06:40:53 )

Notice, too, that in Jack's room above the bed, there is an anchor shaped lamp on the wall.

Anchor - ship - sea - Del Mar
  by - naun (Sat Feb 18 2006 02:48:41 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
Notice, too, that in Jack's room above the bed, there is an anchor shaped lamp on the wall.

Anchor - ship - sea - Del Mar

Well spotted. And it just occurred to me -- isn't the ceiling over the bedroom slanted, just like a tent?

by - fernly (Sat Feb 18 2006 05:25:29 )

naun-
sure is, good catch
...when i saw that low ceiling it made me think of Jack's cramped life there that "he was crazy to be [away from], anywhere else than Lightning Flat",
but your tent imagery is much more positive, and likely what Jack would think of when he was back home visiting after Brokeback

"on the mountain, flying in the euphoric, bitter air"

by - transamrick (Mon Feb 6 2006 07:01:41 )   

I was wondering if there is any relation to Jack stating that He or his Family (Can't remember the exact line) was Pentecost but he didn't know what that meant in 1963 verses the final scene when Ennis' Daughter says she is getting married in the Pentecost Church.

I do not know if there is any connection but perhaps a very subtle tie to "Gay Marriage" possibilities and how this could perhaps change things in the World or could have changed things for Jack and Ennis?

I do not know and it is probably nothing but I picked up on it in my third viewing.

I need to hear Jack's remarks again about the Pentecost on Brokeback.

Rick

by - priscillaherrington (Mon Feb 6 2006 07:12:20 )   

Oh thank you - you've given me another reason to go back and see the movie again (I know, it's such a hardship but heck, someone's gotta do it!) since I don't remember Alma Jr. mentioning the name of the church where she would be getting married.

It seems to me that the amount of discussion and the very high level of most of it is yet another reason why BBM deserves the Best Picture Oscar (along with the other 7). How many movies keep on affecting so many people for so long afterwards? How many movies attract this many people to see them many, many times? And how many movies continue to impact viewers even after multiple viewings?

Re: The Lightning Flat scene /Pentacostal church   
  by - Flickfan-3 (Mon Feb 6 2006 07:26:04 )   

...verses the final scene when Ennis' Daughter says she is getting married in the Pentecost Church
think that is probably a mis-hearing on your part, transamrick...Young Alma tells Ennis it is the Methodist Church--probably same one they would have gone to the church social for after that first reunion except Ennis was too bummed out to get off the couch...

by - transamrick (Mon Feb 6 2006 07:46:26 )   

WOW, really?

I could have sworn I heard Pentecost. So sorry for the inaccurate info.

Thanks for the correction!

Rick

by - Flickfan-3 (Mon Feb 6 2006 08:18:34 )   

hey--that is just what I thought I have heard--someone else may agree with you..and I don't have copy of story or screenplay to check it against...

by - Frank_Z (Mon Feb 6 2006 08:24:04 )   

I also thought Jr. said it would be at the Methodist Church.

The "Pentacost" was when the Holy Spirit gave the Apostles the "Gift of Tongues," as written in the Book of the Acts of the Apostles. It has been the subject of many widely varying interpretations throughout the history of the Christian church, from having the gift to learn foreign languages to better serve as missionaries to speaking and translating apparent gibberish spoken during a religious experience in a revival meeting.

by - Flickfan-3 (Mon Feb 6 2006 08:46:47 )

FrankZ--your comment:
The "Pentacost" was when the Holy Spirit gave the Apostles the "Gift of Tongues," as written in the Book of the Acts of the Apostles. It has been the subject of many widely varying interpretations throughout the history of the Christian church, from having the gift to learn foreign languages to better serve as missionaries to speaking and translating apparent gibberish spoken during a religious experience in a revival meeting.

Yes--but my understanding as a Baptist-raised child who visited Pentecostal church maybe once or twice in my life was that the gift of tongues resulted because that person was filled with the Holy Ghost/Spirit...directly possesed by the Holy Spirit......Mary received the Holy Ghost/Spirit and became pregnant with Jesus, so it is more like being touched by God, directly, and would be an acknowledgement that the person visited was "special" in some way...however they chose to manifest it in the world...

how that relates to BBM, just maybe that Jack and Ennis were touched by love and special because of it...but as I have posted before there was no water walking Jesus to give them a miracle...and Doubting Thomas was the only one who did not receive the spirit when Jesus walked on the water, because he was afraid. Remember the Bible verse in John: There is no fear in love, but perfect love casteth out fear. Shame it did not work for Ennis....
this sort of got OT--sorry

by - katy1940 (Sat Apr 8 2006 19:53:58 )   

Some things occurred to me from other threads on this board reading your post. This may be a little off topic, but related. Sorry for the long post.

Point 1- Ennis’s arrive at Jack’s parents’ home is reminiscent of Jack and Ennis’s first meeting. The story, and their journey, has come full circle.

Point 2- Joe Aguirre and Mr. Twist are definitely the domineering male figures, along with LD Newsome (Lureen’s father). They personify opposition to Jack and Ennis.

Point 3- I took this action by Mrs. Twist of touching Ennis’s shoulder and then later around her own neck to mean she understood and shared the weight of grief with Ennis.

Point 4- The cross on the wall is one of many Christian themes in the story. Christianity as a theme in this story is complicated; it is revered by others in their lives, but does not really speak to Ennis or Jack.

Point 5- I took all the cowboy relics in the film, their cowboy hats and clothing, the cowboy relics, the country music, as something that both Ennis and Jack use to hide from those around them. They are shed only in their intimate and unguarded moments in the film.

Point 6- When Ennis is looking out the window of Jack’s room, Ennis is looking out on the only road that jack had known as a child. The significance of this scene is emphasized in the book. Only one acceptable way for him to live his life –which of course Jack fought against, but both he and Ennis were never able to overcome.

Point 7- Clocks, fleeting time, are definitely a running theme in the story, for example the clock Joe Aguirre gives to Ennis before they go up to Brokeback- “never enough time, never enough.” This represents their divided states of mind regardless of where they are-together or apart.

Point 8 and 9, finding the shirts from Brokeback in Jack’s closet is definitely a reunion. Ennis knew Jack well enough to understand what it meant for Jack to hide their shirts in the closet. The shirts evoke so many images-their struggle just before leaving Brokeback, the blood on the shirts from Ennis pushing Jack away, and Jack’s devotion in keeping and maintaining the shirts hidden in the closet.

Point 10 Ennis and the brown paper bag, also a running them in the movie. Ennis arrives and leave Brokeback with only a paperback. And he leaves Jack’s parents’ home with only a paperback-carrying his only physical remnant from Brokeback-the shirts. Again, coming full circle.

Katy 
  by - taj_e (Wed Apr 26 2006 03:16:02 )

Beautiful post naun, as always
And Katy, your post made it even better

If I may add, someone actually posted on how JACK's name was spelt out behind Ennis. How Jack's spirit was finally free knowing his 'final wish' made known/understood by Ennis

'I wish I knew how to quit BBM...'

by - adoniseuphorius (Sun Apr 9 2006 00:30:52 )   

What is it than Ennis says in the very last line of the movie as he is about o close the closet door? I have listened to it over and over and still cant figure out what he says.

by - katy1940 (Sun Apr 9 2006 13:56:14 )   

"Jack, I swear."

This line is meant to be vauge and open to interpriation (like so much of the story). Many different threads dedicated to this topic.

Re: Bump Only   
  by - BannerHill (Sun Apr 23 2006 12:11:07 )   

This is such a great scene. It is amazing to me that you (at least I) had to see it multiple times in order to get it. When Jack Twist's mother's had flies to her throat, it is no accident.

"Hey Ennis, do you know someone named 'Jack'?"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:44:36 am by TOoP/Bruce »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40