Author Topic: Annie Proulx recognized for Leadership by National G/L Task Force  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
On May 6, Annie Proulx is to be honored at a Leadership Awards dinner in Washington, D.C. hosted by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.

"The D.C. dinner May 6 honors Sen. Russ Feingold, Pulitzer Prize winning author Annie Proulx, Food & Friends and Rep. John Conyers Jr. A possible presidential contender, Feingold is one of only four senators to openly endorse same-sex marriage. During that dinner, the Task Force will also unveil its new Honor Roll, to track which senators support our equal rights."

http://www.newyorkblade.com/2006/5-1/viewpoint/editorials/editorial.cfm
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: Annie Proulx recognized for Leadership by National G/L Task Force
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:21:51 pm »
This article is a followup that describes the National Gay Lesbian Task Force awards dinner, where Annie Proulx was one of several people honored.  I am excerpting the section about Annie Proulx and her comments here:

[Proulx]...appeared somewhat bashful as she took the lectern, her soft monotone a sharp contrast to the other speakers' styles. ''They never told me I'd have to say something, but I will,'' she deadpanned.

Proulx, in from Wyoming for the awards dinner, spoke about her stretch of the country as a ''mean, spare, hard'' place. ''It's a tough place. I like it because it's a tough place. Its beauty is hard and subtle."

That hardness comes with a particular challenge.

"People don't really disturb the ancient traditions of rural places, and that's too bad," she said. "You really have to take a look at what's not right, and not support the status quo.''

She closed with an invitation, observing that there are many GLBT people from her part of the country, but that they often leave her rough terrain in favor of gay-friendly cities. With an apparent desire to turn that tide, she imparted, ''If any of you are contemplating a move to the country, do it.''

Here is a link to the full text:  http://www.metroweekly.com/gauge/?ak=2109
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

TJ

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 04:30:05 pm »
I think that Annie Proulx's invitation for folks to move to, or even back to, the country is a good suggestion.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 05:21:40 pm »
I think that Annie Proulx's invitation for folks to move to, or even back to, the country is a good suggestion.

TJ - Please tell us some of your reasoning that moving or returning to the country is a good idea.  What is it about the rural life that appeals to you?

I've had both at different times....middle of nowhere rural TN until 23, then 8 years in Boston to work and futher my education - and I LOVED Boston, but now 7 years I'm back where I began, only rural has become suburbia and strip malls with little of a city's redeeming qualities.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

TJ

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 06:11:02 pm »
TJ - Please tell us some of your reasoning that moving or returning to the country is a good idea.  What is it about the rural life that appeals to you?
-Lynne

Well, some of the happiest times that I have had in my life, even after I became an adult, have been out in the country.

I do live in an apartment complex which is on a street that dead-ends in about a block to the east of the property. There are 8 properties, 4 on each side of the street, which are 2 or more acres in size. And each of them are zoned for horses. Right at the end of the street is a stable on the property on the north side of the street. I have some pics store in my computer which I took down there a few years ago.

Here is a link to one of those pics. I hope it works:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71178390@N00/145266202/

For several years (until earlier this year) the 2 1/2 acre property just east of the apartment complex was for sale at a very reasonable price. If I had been on regular Service-Connected Disability and also living right where I am at the moment, I would have bought the place with a VA insured loan. While I do suffer from Vietnam War Zone Related PTSD, I have never been officially diagnosed by the VA for that. "Officially" as far a my income goes, I have a VA Non-Service Connected Disability Pension which supplements my Social Security. But, I do have a low percentage disability service-connected disability and that is connected to an injury I sustained in Basic Training.

I do like it in the country with modern conveniences and if I were able to do so I would have an acreage out in the country. I would have to have one of more persons to live with me and they be able to drive. I would have a garden and I would like to have team of miniature horses and a small covered wagon. It would be fun to drive that in the Tulsa Diversity Pride Parade each June or even at a gay rodeo when there is one in town.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 06:35:33 pm »
I hadn't heard that news about Annie Proulx. Thanks for posting it, Lynne!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 11:13:05 pm »
Proulx said:

"People don't really disturb the ancient traditions of rural places, and that's too bad," she said. "You really have to take a look at what's not right, and not support the status quo.''

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
Pros & Cons of Rural America
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 01:36:34 am »
Proulx said:

That's a very good picture of Annie - thanks for posting it!  It's very hard to believe she's 70!

I could not agree more with the second part of Annie's statement - that choosing to do right must supercede supporting the status quo.  I want to think she must have had specific 'traditions' that need disturbing in mind.  I would like to believe that there are still some traditions in rural America that have their place and offer comfort.

In my own rural life, I am trying to think of examples of (what I consider) worthy traditions, but I'm afraid that the only ones I'm coming up with hearken to my grandparents day, nothing recent.  Most of the traditions I'm remembering involve churches and funerals, though there does seem to be a willingness to help neighbors in need.  I know that is not the sole property of rural areas only, though.  I'll have to give it some more thought.

I can think of only two gay people I knew about in some capacity while growing up in the 70's.  One gay kid in jr high and high school was flaming and very in-your-face about his sexuality.  He was reviled by most and a continual source of amusement by others.  He always acted as if he couldn't care less, but I always thought that he must be in a great deal of pain.  The other guy I knew well in high school - one of the very best students - was very private about his sexuality - a nice guy, really, but somewhat arrogant (perhaps a defense mechanism?).  He ultimately was ostracized from his family and their business (> 50 yrs old insurance agency in town).  The last I hear, he is happily living in the SF Bay area.  Good for him.

I've learned about several more people's homosexual orientation since those high school days.  You have to wonder how growing up in a more accepting environment might have changed things for them...

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
Annie Proulx - A Personal Meeting
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 11:40:17 am »
I have been in communication with DCLuke, a member of Dave Cullen's Ultimate Brokeback Forum, who had the opportunity to attend the awards dinner and meet Annie Proulx personally.  It sounded like such an amazing experience!

Lucas wrote a terrific first-person account of the experience that was featured on The Daily Thread within UBBF: 

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8873.msg239029#msg239029

And he generously gave me permission to post his report here in its entirety.

-Lynne

UBBF Member, DCLuke, Meets Annie Proulx

What a lucky guy!  DCLuke, one of our involved members and a great volunteer, had an encounter with Annie Proulx recently and favored us with his account:

On May 6, 2006, the National Gay Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) honored Annie Proulx at its Leadership Awards gala dinner in Washington, DC.  My employer was also receiving an award that evening for its charity work and I was fortunate to be in attendance. 

Shortly after arriving at the pre-dinner cocktail reception, I began to eagerly scan the room looking for Annie Proulx.  I imagined that she would be crowded by fans, but much to my surprise I found her standing alone.  I introduced myself and thanked her for sharing her literary gift with the world.  Brokeback Mountain touched me so deeply and I tried to convey that to her as best I could, but it was difficult to find the words to describe such deep emotion without sounding awkward.  I then told Annie about the Ultimate Brokeback Forum.  She pumped her fist in the air when I told her about the DVD campaign and the special focus on placing the DVD and story in rural libraries.  She thought that the DVD campaign was a great way to share the story with a broad audience.  Some other people approached Annie, so I congratulated her on her award and left her so that she could mingle with other well-wishers.

During remarks preceding the presentation of the Leadership Award, NGLTF Executive Director Matt Foreman noted that “Annie Proulx’s Brokeback Mountain has forever changed the way millions of Americans view our love and lives.”  A short video was then shown in which Annie explained that the short story is her favorite literary medium because “every word, every comma counts,” making a solid short story a true artistic achievement. There were also clips from the LOGO Special The Making of Brokeback Mountain in which Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal discussed their admiration for the story and script.

Annie began her remarks to the audience by saying, Grassroots is a term that I have heard a lot this evening.  Tell you what, I know where there are a lot of grassroots.  She then described the physical environment of Wyoming with a long string of adjectives, words that conjured images positive and negative, comforting and lonely.  Annie explained that within this harsh, beautiful, and at times, mean land, there exist two closets.  One is for people who don’t engage in the traditional man-woman missionary position sex.  The other is for Democrats. After a few additional remarks about the political climate in her state, Annie concluded her speech with the following observation, “People don’t disturb the traditions of rural places and that’s too bad. You really have to take a look at what's not right, and not support the status quo.”

Annie’s speech, both content and delivery, contrasted sharply with the other speeches delivered that evening, among them speeches by Representative John Conyers and Senator Russell Feingold.  Unlike the bombastic political speakers of the evening, Annie spoke so softly that for the first and only time of the evening a hush enveloped the audience.  Annie was not a dynamic speaker.  She chose her words carefully and her voice contained little inflection. She only touched upon gay rights and politics, preferring instead to speak about Wyoming as the flint that sparks her imagination and gives form to her work.  Annie is an author, not an activist, and if we want to draw political or social inspiration from her stories, then that is our prerogative.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."