Author Topic: More tragedy of 'forbidden love' -- by tomtrueman  (Read 2298 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
More tragedy of 'forbidden love' -- by tomtrueman
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:38:54 am »
More tragedy of 'forbidden love'   
  by tomtrueman   (Sun Jun 24 2007 16:56:51)

One of the things that makes BBM so tragic is that they were incapable of being happy, mostly because of the society in which the story unfolded. In another time or another place, Ennis might have been able to rise above his abusive childhood, and they might have been able to find true happiness together. But with the baggage of his childhood abuse, and the surrounding prejudice working against them at every moment, their love was doomed.

Anyone who found their "star-crossed lovers" story enthralling should keep an eye out for a new Israeli film called "The Bubble", by the director of "Yossi & Jagger" and "To Walk on Water". It's a modern Romeo & Juliet tale, about the repercussions of a love affair between a gay Israeli Jew, and a gay Palestinian Arab. Believe me, it doesn't get much tougher than that!

Let's face it, though: Most people would have no problem with the story if one of them had been female (in fact, that's been done) -- but the director was very brave making both lovers men. It plays against the background of the powderkeg that is modern Israel, and it toys with the irony that everyone thinks it would be more NATURAL for these two to try to kill each other, than to be in love.

"The Bubble" (sometimes called by its Hebrew name, "Ha-Buah") is currently in the film festival circuit, but it's scheduled to open in North America on September 7. I already have the DVD of it, because I have a Region 2 (PAL) player, and had ordered it directly from Israel. It likely won't have the profile or wide release of an Ang Lee film, but I recommend it highly.

I warn you, though -- anybody who was embarrassed by the "First Night in The Tent" (even though it was nearly completely dark, they were nearly completely dressed, and all the action was off-screen), should be aware that some of the love scenes in "The Bubble" are MUCH more specific. Hollywood movies wouldn't dare to be that graphic -- and with all the ridiculous hysteria, we can all see why. 

Re: More tragedy of 'forbidden love'   
  by littlewing1957   (Sun Jun 24 2007 18:33:11)   

Anyone who found their "star-crossed lovers" story enthralling should keep an eye out for a new Israeli film called "The Bubble", by the director of "Yossi & Jagger" and "To Walk on Water". It's a modern Romeo & Juliet tale, about the repercussions of a love affair between a gay Israeli Jew, and a gay Palestinian Arab. Believe me, it doesn't get much tougher than that!

Thanks, Tomtrueman. "The Bubble" sounds like a must-see!

by tomtrueman   (Sun Jun 24 2007 19:05:50)   

I think you'd like it, Littlewing. It certainly deals with similar themes of people falling in love at the wrong time, and in the wrong place, when all circumstances are against them. I really like the movie, and find myself thinking about it a lot each time I watch it.

Unfortunately, it's quite likely to slip right past a lot of people, if they don't know about it. I'm sure it won't get the wide release of Brokeback Mountain. I expect it will play for a week at the neighbourhood art house, and then disappear.

I'm glad I have it in my collection already. I might not have known about it myself, but the place in Israel where I bought "To Walk On Water" wrote and offered it to me for $19.95 with free shipping. It took exactly two weeks to get from Israel to the west coast of Canada (including two weekends with no mail delivery) -- but it was delivered right to my door without even clearing Customs.

by littlewing1957   (Sun Jun 24 2007 19:40:45)   

I'm sure I'll like it, Tom. Thanks for the recommendation!

by BannerHill   (Sun Jun 24 2007 21:10:51)   

I will see it, but I don't think any film can compare to the amazing understatement of Brokeback Mountain

Re: More tragedy of 'forbidden love' - BannerHill   
  by tomtrueman   (Sun Jun 24 2007 21:44:45)

It's definitely a different kind of movie. BBM is understated all right -- to the point that some people are nodding off, or they just don't seem to understand what "all the hype" was about. It's really sad to see how many of them just don't get it.

I often like a movie that shows me another world. In "The Bubble" (the title refers to the fact that people who live in Tel Aviv are insulated and isolated from the ugly realities all around them, as if they were living in a bubble)-- it provided a fascinating glimpse of what life is really like in the middle of a conflict that most people only hear about on the radio, or read about in the news. It included both sides' point of view, which was certainly a nice change.

It was quite an eye-opener to see what life is like for many of the gay Israelis who live in Tel Aviv -- and it gave us a glimpse of what it's like for gay Palestinians, too. (The actor who played Ashraf says he still hasn't told his mother about being in the movie yet.)

I liked BOTH movies, but in very different ways. We've heard that during the filming of BBM, some of the crew in rural Alberta (Canada's most redneck province) were not told what the movie they were making was about. Similarly, in The Bubble, there were some very religious people in one scene who weren't told what it was about either.

by littlewing1957   9 hours ago (Tue Jul 17 2007 21:49:47)

I will see it, but I don't think any film can compare to the amazing understatement of Brokeback Mountain

No!

Everybody should be working on a afghan - Juliet Mills

by tomtrueman   34 minutes ago (Wed Jul 18 2007 06:58:35)

Actually, I watched The Bubble again last night, and I find I like it even more every time I see it. I like the depiction of the love affair between the two guys, and the girl and her two gay roommates have a very believable friendship. It's a shame the movie will have a fraction of the audience.

BBM was a real trail-blazer, being the first film about a same-sex relationship to have had a world-famous director and a cast of people we recognize, and which was a resounding success internationally, as well as with any critical body that knows anything.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the same area where BBM was filmed, but I found a movie like The Bubble to be utterly fascinating in a completely different way. It was a real eye-opener, showing a world that most of us have never seen and only hear about on the news.

In BBM, part of the tragedy is that Ennis was indeed a victim of his society, but he was also so damaged by his sick father that he couldn't love Jack the way he should have. The two guys in The Bubble rise above their backgrounds and really do love each other, but the world around them is still more than they can control.

by jackie-77   (Sun Jul 8 2007 20:56:06)   

Hi, tomtrueman.

Keeping this thread around until Sep. 7 may be a challenge with everything that's been going on and the snags trying to do the b-word to threads anymore. Someone's gonna need to make a post in it on Jul. 22, and Aug. 5 and 19, and Sep. 2 -- unless more discussion happens in between those times.

I know of a theater in my area that would be likely to show a film like this. Maybe I'll check it out. Thanks for telling us about it.

Jackie

by tomtrueman   (Mon Jul 9 2007 02:26:22)   

Thanks, Jackie. I didn't know what dates were crucial, so I've put them on my calendar.

I did wonder if it was too early to mention it, when it won't open until Sept. 7, but having just received my DVD of it, I had to share it with my friends here. I'll "remind" everyone at intervals, though..... It's for sure it won't have the profile of BBM and Ang Lee's reputation, and could go by unnoticed.

I do think that anyone who related to the themes in BBM would also like The Bubble. It certainly has the Romeo & Juliet aspect, and a love affair between an gay Israeli Jew and a gay Palestinian Arab is about as tough as it could get, especially against the background that's made clear in the movie. Quite an eye-opener.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40