Author Topic: Do you do volunteer work?  (Read 8790 times)

mvansand76

Do you do volunteer work?
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:18:42 pm »

Hi! This is just one of the topics we were thinking of when we started pondering about this new forum!

Do you do volunteer work? Or: have you done volunteer work?

What do you do exactly?

How long have you been doing this?

What do you like about volunteer work?

If you have a paid job / or are a fulltime mother/father too, how do you fit it in your daily life?

I will give my own answers in a seperate post!  8)

mvansand76

Re: Do you do volunteer work?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:30:49 pm »
Do you do volunteer work? Or: have you done volunteer work?
Yes, I do volunteer work for a patient association. I work as an editor for them, proofreading and writing articles. Also, for two years (2003-2005) I taught Dutch language to Moroccan and Turkish children and had my own radio program in a university medical centre.

What do you do exactly?
See above!

How long have you been doing this?
2,5 years! How time flies!

What do you like about volunteer work?
That it allows me to write articles about very important issues that need to be addressed: political issues, health care issues, trying to deal with chronic pain or how to get rid of it. The magazine we publish is very informative to people who are only just dealing with Repetitive Strain Injury and have no idea where to turn.

If you have a paid job / or are a fulltime mother/father too, how do you fit it in your daily life?
It's difficult sometimes. The reason why I stopped working at the other two volunteer jobs was because I couldn't combine it with my new job as a translator and editor anymore. Therefore I chose one volunteer job to continue with...

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:36:44 pm »
I have been feeling for a while like I need to get into doing more volunteer work.  I used to, but then had a tiny child and it felt hard.  But now I do have the time.  

I was very inspired by Sicko, the new movie by Michael Moore about America's lack of health care for its citizens, and the contrast between that and various other countries.  I am thinking about looking into how I can support the effort to improve that.

One of my favorite volunteer things I ever did was I taught one man to read.  Troy worked in a lumber factory, where they turned trees into boards to build with.  He worked with the sawdust, hauling, hauling, hauling.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays after work, he would hurry home to shower and get the sawdust out of very pore, put on his very best clothes, and meet me at the local library for an hour and a half.  When we first started we had a hard time simply understanding the other.  I was from a college-educated New York culture and he was from African-American deep country Mississippi.  We spent a fair amount of time saying, "Hunh?" to each other at first.  :)

But we were smart and learned to understand each other.  He worked hard.  Progress was slowish at first, as he worked with paper and pencil and books for the first time in his life, and as I learned how to impart this skill I took as much for granted as I did breathing.  After about 6 months, we could both see huge progress and he started really getting not just how to be taught, but how to teach himself.  We were on the front page of the local newspaper once, and with various other achievements, that is one of the ones I am still proudest of.

When we started working together, he had a 3 year old he couldn't read to.  By the end of our nearly two years together, he could read to Troy Jr. and even help him begin to learn to read himself....:)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 05:51:27 pm »
What a great story, Clarissa!

My main volunteer work is to collect the seeds of wildflowers in the fall. I belong to a group that does this and sends the seeds to a nursery. In the spring, we sell the little plants to the community. By doing this, we are trying to perpetuate the native plants.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:11:11 pm »
Mel and Lee, those both sound way cool and wonderful.  Let me say thank you for all the people who don't know to, but would if they could!  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 09:36:06 pm »
I have been feeling for a while like I need to get into doing more volunteer work.  I used to, but then had a tiny child and it felt hard.  But now I do have the time.  

I was very inspired by Sicko, the new movie by Michael Moore about America's lack of health care for its citizens, and the contrast between that and various other countries.  I am thinking about looking into how I can support the effort to improve that.

One of my favorite volunteer things I ever did was I taught one man to read.  Troy worked in a lumber factory, where they turned trees into boards to build with.  He worked with the sawdust, hauling, hauling, hauling.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays after work, he would hurry home to shower and get the sawdust out of very pore, put on his very best clothes, and meet me at the local library for an hour and a half.  When we first started we had a hard time simply understanding the other.  I was from a college-educated New York culture and he was from African-American deep country Mississippi.  We spent a fair amount of time saying, "Hunh?" to each other at first.  :)

But we were smart and learned to understand each other.  He worked hard.  Progress was slowish at first, as he worked with paper and pencil and books for the first time in his life, and as I learned how to impart this skill I took as much for granted as I did breathing.  After about 6 months, we could both see huge progress and he started really getting not just how to be taught, but how to teach himself.  We were on the front page of the local newspaper once, and with various other achievements, that is one of the ones I am still proudest of.

When we started working together, he had a 3 year old he couldn't read to.  By the end of our nearly two years together, he could read to Troy Jr. and even help him begin to learn to read himself....:)

This is wonderful, Elle. What a sense of accomplishment and pride for both of ya'll.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 09:46:11 pm »
I volunteer several evenings a month at the Portland Community Free Clinic. The clinic provides primary care to folks who do not have health insurance but who do not qualify for other programs, such as MaineCare. It is truly a safety net agency. I have been volunteering there since 2000.

http://www.mercyhospital.com/affiliated/freeclinic.html

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 06:01:04 am »
Great stories, Clarissa, Lee and Leslie!

It's really all about the small things you can do if you have the time that makes a difference! And in small I don't mean the impact it has, but more that it seems small, but the effect it has is huge!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 02:35:48 pm »
I should volunteer to help out with things, but when you work for commission you feel like you are volunteering a large amoung of your time already.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 03:10:59 pm »
I should volunteer to help out with things, but when you work for commission you feel like you are volunteering a large amoung of your time already.

What do you mean by work for commission? What kind of work do you do?