Author Topic: Movies You've Walked Out Of! It's your turn...  (Read 23057 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Movies You've Walked Out Of! It's your turn...
« on: July 18, 2007, 06:36:51 pm »
to make some new rules. Okay, I will admit, I borrowed this idea from another website, but it seemed like something we could have fun with here Chez Tremblay, so let's give this a go...

They blew up Hollywood and the President, Vice President, and Speaker of the Box Office all got killed. In fact, everyone got killed and you are the last (wo)man standing and get picked to run the place. Rubbing your hands with glee, you get ready to institute a few well needed and overdue changes. But wait! Some slightly higher ranking functionary has been found alive in the rubble and you are out of a job. Taking your last five minutes in your presidential role, you quickly dictate as many edicts as you can (in five minutes), with the stipulation that these are LAW....

To get us going, here are a few from my list, and I am talking fast:

1. At least 5 movies per year with Hugh Jackman, naked.
2. At least 10 gay and lesbian romantic comedies, where the main characters end up happily ever after and no one dies.
3. Smoking is banned. Period. I don't care if everyone smoked in the 60s.
4. No prequels, sequels, remakes, or movies based on amusements at Disney theme parks. BBM 2 might be the notable exception. I retain all rights for final script approval, casting, director, etc.
5. A person can go to the movies with $10 and get: 1) a movie ticket; 2) a large beverage; 3) a large popcorn; 4) a box of Milk Duds; and 5) 25 cents left over.

Everyone get the idea? Have fun...

Leslie
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:52:04 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

Re: They Blew Up Hollywood! It's your turn...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:51:15 pm »
Hm, I do get the idea, but seems like you thought of all the good ones already.  Let's see......

Plenty of smart movies about women and men over the age of 40, 60, 80.

A few really good kids movies that are REALLY okay for tiny kids to see, no one gets crushed, maimed, or chopped into pieces for laughs.  Characters are courteous, or at least learn how to be over the arc of the movie.

A community cafe area where it's typical that people can gather afterward and talk about the movie.

Heath gets to direct movies he believes in, with the financing he needs.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:39:24 am »
Very good Elle! Especially Heath directing with all the money he needs.

I asked my daughter and she said, "More old fashioned musicals, where people spontaneously sing and dance. And maybe we should spontaneously sing and dance in real life, too."

Others?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 09:28:50 pm »
Ooh, I love all these ideas!  I especially like the one about the community cafe area in the theater.

A few others:

The following "directors" would be barred from ever making another movie:

Michael Bay
James Cameron
Brett Ratner
Joel Schumaker

The following "writer" would be barred from ever "writing" another screenplay or teleplay:

Paul Haggis

And most important:

The AMPAS would issue a formal apology and an honorary Best Picture Oscar to Dianna Osana and Jim Schamus, along with formal apologies and honorary Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor Oscars to Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.  They also would change their voting rules such that ALL members voting for Best Picture would be *required* to screen all five nominees at designated screenings in theaters where they sign in and stay for the entire movie.  Then, I could actually watch the awards show again.  :)

No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 09:35:36 pm »
Come on, Barb, let's get creative...like

Paul Haggis should be ground up and fed as shark food to marauding sharks around the Isle of Elba...

Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic but I have no love for that guy in and in "my" Hollywood he is persona non grata...

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 02:53:14 am »
Seeing Barb on this thread reminds me of something she has that seems like paradise to me - childcare AT the movie theater that she and her child both like.  I want that.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 12:18:51 pm »
Seeing Barb on this thread reminds me of something she has that seems like paradise to me - childcare AT the movie theater that she and her child both like.  I want that.

I tell ya, if every theater did that, their sales would skyrocket.  And people there watching sans kids would be so much happier.  Too many people still bring babies and toddlers into R-rated movies because they can't be bothered to hire a babysitter - and in this very theater!  Trouble is, they don't take any kids still in diapers because of liability issues, so it doesn't help out those people.  But they do at least offer Baby Tuesdays - matinees on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 specifically for parents with babies and toddlers.  They're PG and PG-13 rated movies and everyone can bring their little ones.  I tried it once with Will, but he didn't like the darkness and the volume, so we had to leave.

Another thing this same theater (Muvico) has is an "Upper Deck" - you pay twice the ticket price, but you get assigned seating (which you can reserve a few days ahead of time online), seats that are small couches, tables between the seats that you can put your food and drinks on, free valet parking, and free popcorn.  If you're someone who likes to get popcorn at your movies, it almost pays for itself because the popcorn is the "medium" size bag, which goes for 6 bucks at the concession stand anyway.  And the valet parking is usually five bucks, so if you would do that, too, it's a great deal.  It's perfect for opening night of a blockbuster like Transformers or Harry Potter or Hairspray - you can waltz in (which I did on Friday night) to your front row/center seat at five minutes before showtime, with your martini in hand (they have a full bar and restaurant up there, too), and chuckle to yourself at all the ignorant masses vying for the last few seats together in the front three rows, with their huge popcorns and sodas in hand, who just paid as much as you did (not counting the martini).  HA!

The only thing I'd change at this Muvico I love so much is I'd put at least 2 art house/indy movies on all the time - they have 20 theaters, for Chrissakes!  Is there some reason why they now don't do that - do the little guys have the monopoly on that because it's the only way they can survive?  I feel for the really little guys - the true art house theaters that only have at most 4 screens and show nothing but indies.  But they're doing fine - at least down here.  It's the Regals and the AMCs that I couldn't care less about.  Every once in a while I go to one because it's the only theater in the area that's showing an indy I really want to see.  But except for the movie itself, it's such a depressing experience.  It's a shame, but I'm becoming such a spoiled, Ugly American when it comes to the comfort I expect in my movie theaters now.

My dream is to own an arthouse drive-in.  Sounds stoo-pid, I know - how would I keep it afloat?  If I had a disposable income and didn't care if I didn't turn a profit, I'd love to do it.  I'd get the highest-quality screens and equipment available, and I'd have a *nice* restaurant on site, so you could just park your car, go in, eat and enjoy, then go back to your car and watch the movie.  I'd make carry-out available so you could take it back to your car and eat it there if you wanted.  Alcohol would be tricky, because it's a drive-in, after all.  I wouldn't want to limit it, but I wouldn't want to curtail it, either.  Maybe I'd put a cozy little B&B right on site, too, so if you had a little too much, you could crash there for the evening - at very reasonable prices, because, again - I'm not in it to turn a profit in my dream.  I'd have on-site child care in another enclosed, highly secure, safe, and fun place for the kids so you could watch your R-rated movies (because let's face it - most of the best ones are) and they could have their own brand of fun, too.  I wouldn't want it to be circus-like with too many distractions, but there would be a great playground down in front of each screen like they had when I was a kid.  You could take your kids there in the late afternoon/early evening, tire them out, then they could go in the kids' play area and watch a nice Disney film or play video games or whatever.

Sigh.  Sorry to go OT - nothing firing current Hollywood could do would make this possible.  Just something I like to think about from time to time.
No more beans!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:23:58 pm »
All gratuitous femaie nudity in films must be matched by an equal amount of gratuitous male nudity.  By equally good-looking actors. 

E.G. Julianne Moore / Uma Thurman  ::  Daniel Craig / Ethan Hawke

Not Julianne Moore / Uma Thurman  ::  Harvey Keitel / William H. Macy     :P

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 03:29:05 pm »
Realistic romantic matchups, instead of ones that are completely insulting to women.

E.G. Jack Nicholson :: Kathy Bates

Not Jack Nicholson :: Helen Hunt
Not Jack Nicholson :: Cher/Michelle Pfiffer/Susan Sarandon, etc.

::)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 03:35:37 pm »
Good one, Laura.

Similarly,

Woody Allen with  (no one)

vs.

Woody Allen with (insert name of current 20 something hot young actress with large breasts)

L