Author Topic: Movies You've Walked Out Of! It's your turn...  (Read 22712 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Movies You've Walked Out Of! It's your turn...
« on: July 18, 2007, 06:36:51 pm »
to make some new rules. Okay, I will admit, I borrowed this idea from another website, but it seemed like something we could have fun with here Chez Tremblay, so let's give this a go...

They blew up Hollywood and the President, Vice President, and Speaker of the Box Office all got killed. In fact, everyone got killed and you are the last (wo)man standing and get picked to run the place. Rubbing your hands with glee, you get ready to institute a few well needed and overdue changes. But wait! Some slightly higher ranking functionary has been found alive in the rubble and you are out of a job. Taking your last five minutes in your presidential role, you quickly dictate as many edicts as you can (in five minutes), with the stipulation that these are LAW....

To get us going, here are a few from my list, and I am talking fast:

1. At least 5 movies per year with Hugh Jackman, naked.
2. At least 10 gay and lesbian romantic comedies, where the main characters end up happily ever after and no one dies.
3. Smoking is banned. Period. I don't care if everyone smoked in the 60s.
4. No prequels, sequels, remakes, or movies based on amusements at Disney theme parks. BBM 2 might be the notable exception. I retain all rights for final script approval, casting, director, etc.
5. A person can go to the movies with $10 and get: 1) a movie ticket; 2) a large beverage; 3) a large popcorn; 4) a box of Milk Duds; and 5) 25 cents left over.

Everyone get the idea? Have fun...

Leslie
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:52:04 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

Re: They Blew Up Hollywood! It's your turn...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:51:15 pm »
Hm, I do get the idea, but seems like you thought of all the good ones already.  Let's see......

Plenty of smart movies about women and men over the age of 40, 60, 80.

A few really good kids movies that are REALLY okay for tiny kids to see, no one gets crushed, maimed, or chopped into pieces for laughs.  Characters are courteous, or at least learn how to be over the arc of the movie.

A community cafe area where it's typical that people can gather afterward and talk about the movie.

Heath gets to direct movies he believes in, with the financing he needs.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:39:24 am »
Very good Elle! Especially Heath directing with all the money he needs.

I asked my daughter and she said, "More old fashioned musicals, where people spontaneously sing and dance. And maybe we should spontaneously sing and dance in real life, too."

Others?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 09:28:50 pm »
Ooh, I love all these ideas!  I especially like the one about the community cafe area in the theater.

A few others:

The following "directors" would be barred from ever making another movie:

Michael Bay
James Cameron
Brett Ratner
Joel Schumaker

The following "writer" would be barred from ever "writing" another screenplay or teleplay:

Paul Haggis

And most important:

The AMPAS would issue a formal apology and an honorary Best Picture Oscar to Dianna Osana and Jim Schamus, along with formal apologies and honorary Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor Oscars to Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.  They also would change their voting rules such that ALL members voting for Best Picture would be *required* to screen all five nominees at designated screenings in theaters where they sign in and stay for the entire movie.  Then, I could actually watch the awards show again.  :)

No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 09:35:36 pm »
Come on, Barb, let's get creative...like

Paul Haggis should be ground up and fed as shark food to marauding sharks around the Isle of Elba...

Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic but I have no love for that guy in and in "my" Hollywood he is persona non grata...

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 02:53:14 am »
Seeing Barb on this thread reminds me of something she has that seems like paradise to me - childcare AT the movie theater that she and her child both like.  I want that.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 12:18:51 pm »
Seeing Barb on this thread reminds me of something she has that seems like paradise to me - childcare AT the movie theater that she and her child both like.  I want that.

I tell ya, if every theater did that, their sales would skyrocket.  And people there watching sans kids would be so much happier.  Too many people still bring babies and toddlers into R-rated movies because they can't be bothered to hire a babysitter - and in this very theater!  Trouble is, they don't take any kids still in diapers because of liability issues, so it doesn't help out those people.  But they do at least offer Baby Tuesdays - matinees on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 specifically for parents with babies and toddlers.  They're PG and PG-13 rated movies and everyone can bring their little ones.  I tried it once with Will, but he didn't like the darkness and the volume, so we had to leave.

Another thing this same theater (Muvico) has is an "Upper Deck" - you pay twice the ticket price, but you get assigned seating (which you can reserve a few days ahead of time online), seats that are small couches, tables between the seats that you can put your food and drinks on, free valet parking, and free popcorn.  If you're someone who likes to get popcorn at your movies, it almost pays for itself because the popcorn is the "medium" size bag, which goes for 6 bucks at the concession stand anyway.  And the valet parking is usually five bucks, so if you would do that, too, it's a great deal.  It's perfect for opening night of a blockbuster like Transformers or Harry Potter or Hairspray - you can waltz in (which I did on Friday night) to your front row/center seat at five minutes before showtime, with your martini in hand (they have a full bar and restaurant up there, too), and chuckle to yourself at all the ignorant masses vying for the last few seats together in the front three rows, with their huge popcorns and sodas in hand, who just paid as much as you did (not counting the martini).  HA!

The only thing I'd change at this Muvico I love so much is I'd put at least 2 art house/indy movies on all the time - they have 20 theaters, for Chrissakes!  Is there some reason why they now don't do that - do the little guys have the monopoly on that because it's the only way they can survive?  I feel for the really little guys - the true art house theaters that only have at most 4 screens and show nothing but indies.  But they're doing fine - at least down here.  It's the Regals and the AMCs that I couldn't care less about.  Every once in a while I go to one because it's the only theater in the area that's showing an indy I really want to see.  But except for the movie itself, it's such a depressing experience.  It's a shame, but I'm becoming such a spoiled, Ugly American when it comes to the comfort I expect in my movie theaters now.

My dream is to own an arthouse drive-in.  Sounds stoo-pid, I know - how would I keep it afloat?  If I had a disposable income and didn't care if I didn't turn a profit, I'd love to do it.  I'd get the highest-quality screens and equipment available, and I'd have a *nice* restaurant on site, so you could just park your car, go in, eat and enjoy, then go back to your car and watch the movie.  I'd make carry-out available so you could take it back to your car and eat it there if you wanted.  Alcohol would be tricky, because it's a drive-in, after all.  I wouldn't want to limit it, but I wouldn't want to curtail it, either.  Maybe I'd put a cozy little B&B right on site, too, so if you had a little too much, you could crash there for the evening - at very reasonable prices, because, again - I'm not in it to turn a profit in my dream.  I'd have on-site child care in another enclosed, highly secure, safe, and fun place for the kids so you could watch your R-rated movies (because let's face it - most of the best ones are) and they could have their own brand of fun, too.  I wouldn't want it to be circus-like with too many distractions, but there would be a great playground down in front of each screen like they had when I was a kid.  You could take your kids there in the late afternoon/early evening, tire them out, then they could go in the kids' play area and watch a nice Disney film or play video games or whatever.

Sigh.  Sorry to go OT - nothing firing current Hollywood could do would make this possible.  Just something I like to think about from time to time.
No more beans!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:23:58 pm »
All gratuitous femaie nudity in films must be matched by an equal amount of gratuitous male nudity.  By equally good-looking actors. 

E.G. Julianne Moore / Uma Thurman  ::  Daniel Craig / Ethan Hawke

Not Julianne Moore / Uma Thurman  ::  Harvey Keitel / William H. Macy     :P

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 03:29:05 pm »
Realistic romantic matchups, instead of ones that are completely insulting to women.

E.G. Jack Nicholson :: Kathy Bates

Not Jack Nicholson :: Helen Hunt
Not Jack Nicholson :: Cher/Michelle Pfiffer/Susan Sarandon, etc.

::)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 03:35:37 pm »
Good one, Laura.

Similarly,

Woody Allen with  (no one)

vs.

Woody Allen with (insert name of current 20 something hot young actress with large breasts)

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 02:12:15 am »

Not Julianne Moore / Uma Thurman  ::  Harvey Keitel / William H. Macy     :P

:laugh:

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 02:24:33 pm »
Ooh!  Ooh!  I got one!

How about no more trailers that give away THE WHOLE FREAKIN' MOVIE???!!!

I feel better now.
No more beans!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 09:21:16 am »
Woody Allen with (insert name of current 20 something hot young actress with large breasts)

Totally, MaineWriter!

A community cafe area where it's typical that people can gather afterward and talk about the movie.

Absolutely.  However, if people insist on gabbing during the screening and bother others, they get thrown the hell out!   8)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Movies You've Walked Out Of! It's your turn...
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 01:01:54 pm »
I'm changing the game a little bit. Are there movies you have walked out of? Or WISHED you had walked out of?

The only movie I can remember actually walking out of was "Life of Brian." I hated this movie and I usually love Monty Python stuff, but this truly sucked big time, IMO.

Movies I wish I had walked out of:

"Family Plot" (1976). The last thing directed by Alfred Hitchcock. What a snooze-fest and in fact, I fell asleep. I would have left except I was on a date, and he was driving.

"Mean Girls." The beginning of the end for Lindsay Lohan, I think. I wished I could have left but I was with my daughter. The movie actually got good reviews. The same thing for "The Family Stone" -- oh God, what a loathesome movie. Another one that got good reviews and one reviewer even said it would be the next "It's a Wonderful Life" of Christmas movies. Yeah, in which dysfunctional universe is that going to happen?

"The Rugrats Movie." Another I couldn't leave because I was with my children. Oh what a headache I had when this horrible thing was over.

"A Prairie Home Companion." Another movie where I fell asleep in the middle and another movie that had good reviews. Huh? See comment above on L. Lohan. She was in PHC, too. Ugh.

Others?

L

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 01:05:38 pm »
I really hated these two movies, but other people REALLY loved them, so I'm not saying they are bad movies.......just saying they were not my cuppa tea!

I didn't walk out---I was with others---but I would have if I'd been alone.

"Lady in the Water"

"Glengarry Glen Ross"
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott6373

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 01:07:04 pm »
I walked out on two movies.

"Hannah and Her Sisters"  Woody Allen is so tedious

"Bull Durham"  I fell sound sleep during it, and woke up when the credits were rolling.  This counts as walking out, because I did go to another place  :)

moremojo

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 01:25:56 pm »
My dream is to own an arthouse drive-in.
Barb, this gave me a smile, as it reminded me of a scene in the 1981 film Polyester, written and directed by John Waters. There is a moment when Todd (played by Tab Hunter) takes Francine (played by Divine) on a date to an arthouse drive-in showing the "latest hits of Marguerite Duras"( :laugh:). In the lobby, copies of Cahiers du cinema are available for perusal, and the screened ad for refreshments features not dancing sodas and hot dogs, but mineral water and upscale delicacies similarly choreographed to a soothing voice-over extolling the "art of cinema".

What kind of cinematic wonderland was Baltimore circa 1981? ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 01:28:45 pm »
One I didn't walk out of, because I never saw it in the theater, but sure turned off--I was trying to watch it on Turner Classics:

Rocky

That's right. Rocky. The original one.

Jesus H., I found it unwatchable. And I live in Philadelphia!  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 01:29:44 pm »
One I didn't walk out of, because I never saw it in the theater, but sure turned off--I was trying to watch it on Turner Classics:

Rocky

Unwatchable and unintelligible.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 01:34:44 pm »

Rocky

Unwatchable and unintelligible.

Absolutely!

(Now, when I get run out of Philadelphia on a rail for admitting that, can I come live you and Grady?  :laugh: )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 01:37:15 pm »
LOL. The first "Rocky" is one of my favorite movies! Maybe it was the time and juncture in my life when I saw it.  There is no accounting for taste, huh?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott6373

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 01:37:42 pm »
Absolutely!

(Now, when I get run out of Philadelphia on a rail for admitting that, can I come live you and Grady?  :laugh: )

Can you cook?  can you clean?  Does puppy poop bother you?

moremojo

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 01:39:39 pm »
The only time I ever willfully left a film in progress, meaning to quit watching it, was when I was a child, and asked my mother beforehand to leave Fantasia at the moment when the "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence started. I had seen Fantasia multiple times before, but dreaded becoming scared or upset during this part of the movie. My mother agreed, so off my mom, my sister and I went when this part of the film came on.

My mother took me out of The Tomato That Ate Cleveland when my father took the whole family to see that one (needless to say, I was a child here as well). There was a suggestive nude scene that came on that my mother felt was inappropriate for eyes as young as mine.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 01:43:07 pm »
Another movie that I endured--endured is the operative word here, I would have left but someone else was driving--was "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." This stupid movie was nominated for a bunch of Oscars and even won one. Ugh.

Scott, you mentioned Woody Allen -- I have always hated "Annie Hall." I hated it in the theater and tried to sit through it again not too long ago...without success.

L

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 01:44:12 pm »
This is not a real shock: True Lies.  Stupid piece of crap!

I was dating this big galoot who wanted to see it.  He was definitely the dominant one in the relationship, except for the moment I took his hand and said, "we're fucking leaving!"

Scott6373

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 01:46:33 pm »
This is not a real shock: True Lies.  Stupid piece of crap!

I was dating this big galoot who wanted to see it.  He was definitely the dominant one in the relationship, except for the moment I took his hand and said, "we're fucking leaving!"

Yow...remind me not to go to the movies with you...LOL

moremojo

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 01:47:10 pm »
I think Woody Allen is droll, but I think he tends to be overrated. My favorite film of his of those I've seen is Sweet and Lowdown, which perhaps significantly doesn't star him (he appears as a talking head in the mockumentary part of the film).

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 01:56:10 pm »
Two films I walked out of...

Gladiator and Planet of the Apes...

moremojo

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 02:01:07 pm »
Two films I walked out of...

Gladiator and Planet of the Apes...
The remake of Planet of the Apes, I assume? The 1968 original is campy fun, in my opinion; the remake is a film I have yet to see (and probably never will), but a good friend of mine distinctly disliked it.

When I went to the endodontic specialist earlier this month and was being prepped for a root canal, Gladiator was the film they started to show me as a distraction! As I fled the premises due to a panic attack from a bad reaction to the anaesthetic, with less than fifteen minutes of the film having been seen by me, I guess you could say I walked out of this one as well.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 02:09:35 pm »
Can you cook?  can you clean?  Does puppy poop bother you?

Pretty good with a can opener--and a microwave. Pretty good with a Swiffer. Depends. ...  :laugh:

LOL. The first "Rocky" is one of my favorite movies! Maybe it was the time and juncture in my life when I saw it.  There is no accounting for taste, huh?

Sure isn't.  :D

Another movie that I endured--endured is the operative word here, I would have left but someone else was driving--was "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." This stupid movie was nominated for a bunch of Oscars and even won one. Ugh.

We'll leave you home when we go to visit Devil's Tower next June.  ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 02:12:37 pm »
The remake of Planet of the Apes, I assume? The 1968 original is campy fun, in my opinion; the remake is a film I have yet to see (and probably never will), but a good friend of mine distinctly disliked it.

I remember the first time I saw the original Planet of the Apes -- I was totally freaked out at the end. LOL...well, I was 13.

When I went to the endodontic specialist earlier this month and was being prepped for a root canal, Gladiator was the film they started to show me as a distraction! As I fled the premises due to a panic attack from a bad reaction to the anaesthetic, with less than fifteen minutes of the film having been seen by me, I guess you could say I walked out of this one as well.

Sounds like time to find a new endodontist! This guy is into torture....

L

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2007, 12:30:31 pm »
I walked out of THE BRIDE.  Did anyone else see this film.  I would have stayed longer, but the ppl i was with wanted to leave.  It was a remake of THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and starred Sting.  The critics panned it. This was way back in the mid 1980's and I've never seen it on tv or anything. 

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2007, 01:02:58 pm »

First movie I ever walked out on was Taxi Driver.  I was so stunned.  I had no clue what it was.  I had my young daughter with me.  There was no rating on it, and it was a total shock.  It was so graphic and so violent.  Carla, said mom what did you bring me to see this for?  We got up and left.  I was so upset by it, I still to this day can not stand Robert DeNiro.  I know he is supposed to be one of the greats of our time.  But I cant take him.

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2007, 02:16:44 pm »
If I hadn't been with my best friend, I would have walked out of 40 days and 40 nights, Failure to Launch and The Family Stone.

Idiotic, juvenile and offensive with no redeeming characters and just excruciating to have to sit through.

Amistad.  One scene was so horrible and intense I walked out to stand in the lobby until it was over and I was able to pull myself together enough to go back in and watch the rest of the movie.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2007, 03:26:43 pm »
I still to this day can not stand Robert DeNiro.  I know he is supposed to be one of the greats of our time . . .

I think he's so overrated!  He's had a handful of good performances, but he's been in a lot of CRAP too (Meet the Fockers – barf).  I just don't see what all the fuss over him is about.

moremojo

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2007, 04:02:57 pm »
I think he's so overrated!  He's had a handful of good performances, but he's been in a lot of CRAP too (Meet the Fockers – barf).  I just don't see what all the fuss over him is about.
When he hosted Saturday Night Live (has he done so more than once?), he seemed distinctly uncomfortable with the show's live format. He revealed limitations to his grasp of his craft at that moment. I think he's a good actor, but with a limited range, which might in part arise from the types of roles he chooses or to which he has been typecast.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2007, 04:36:58 pm »
When he hosted Saturday Night Live (has he done so more than once?), he seemed distinctly uncomfortable with the show's live format. He revealed limitations to his grasp of his craft at that moment. I think he's a good actor, but with a limited range, which might in part arise from the types of roles he chooses or to which he has been typecast.

I think I read somewhere - in some screenwriter's tell-all - that DeNiro can't put two words together without it being scripted for him.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2007, 05:10:15 pm »
I won't be seeing it, so I won't be walking out, but omigod does "I Know Who Killed Me" sound like one dreadful movie! It is at 8% right now on rottentomatoes.com

You know it's bad when reviewers write comments like this:

I wish I could say one nice thing about the movie, but even my old stand by of, “At least, it started on time,” doesn’t apply here.  After a 20 minute delay in starting the movie, I had to assume the projector was taking an ethical stand and refusing to be party to the heinous act of showing this movie to people who were forced to pay for it.

Ack!

moremojo

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2007, 05:15:53 pm »
I think I read somewhere - in some screenwriter's tell-all - that DeNiro can't put two words together without it being scripted for him.
I've heard similar comments about Marlon Brando, in that he frequently read his lines from cue cards out of the camera's range. DeNiro reminds me a bit of Brando in that both are quite adequate in a rather narrow range of roles, but rarely (or cannot) stray far from their circumscribed focus.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2007, 07:24:13 pm »
Dune. The one with Sting and Kyle McLaclan (sp?) That one re-defined boredom.

And

Fight Club. Don't care that it was supposed to be Edward Norton and Brad Pitt apparently doing their best roles or what not. Don't care that the film keeps reaching the top of "Best Film Ever" lists. Nothing is going to make me sit through that amount of IMO gratuitous horrid violence.

I also agree with Laura about True Lies. Didn't see it in the cinema ( I've mostly managed to avoid Governator movies in the cinema, luckily) but I *did* watch part of it on TV one night when I was business travelling and staying alone in a hotel out in the middle of nowhere. I made quick and effective use of the remote's "off" button. What a piece of c**p.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 07:54:25 pm »
Amistad.  One scene was so horrible and intense I walked out to stand in the lobby until it was over and I was able to pull myself together enough to go back in and watch the rest of the movie.

Gee. I've been feeling guilty over missing that one. It seemed kind of like a "duty flick." Like the other one I missed, earlier this year, Amazing Grace (which, if it had nothing else, at least had the amazingly handsome Ioan Gruffud in it).

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 08:17:29 pm »
Gee. I've been feeling guilty over missing that one. It seemed kind of like a "duty flick." Like the other one I missed, earlier this year, Amazing Grace (which, if it had nothing else, at least had the amazingly handsome Ioan Gruffud in it).

I'm still kicking myself over missing Amazing Grace.  I'm a Ioan Gruffud fan, so much so, I went and saw both Fantastic Four movies.  ;D

Amistad is very good.  I can't say I 'enjoyed it' since it wasn't a feel good type movie, but it was worth seeing.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2007, 11:34:17 pm »
Amazing Grace is worth renting.  Besides Ioan, the sets and costumes are pretty, too.   :)

The only movie I can remember walking out of was Trainspotting.  It was about drug addicts in Scotland (sorry, Kelda) and was so gross and depressing I finally gave up on it.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2007, 06:40:33 pm »
I have walked out of several movies, for the same reason:  the graphic violence:

Brazil
American Werewolf in London
Braveheart
Excalibur

of the ones I can remember.

Some I hardly even got into before they got to be too much - I lasted in "American Werewolf" until the first werewolf attack scene with the roommate and that was that.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2007, 07:01:05 pm »
Violence keeps me out of movies completely. I have never seen "Pulp Fiction" despite all its accolades, nor have I seen "Fight Club." And I don't intend to.

L

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2007, 07:49:43 pm »
I've walked out of a few in my day, even asked for a refund a few times... the most memorable/ forgettable are:

The New World with Colin Farrell

The Libertine with Johnny Depp

Tallidega Nights with Will Farrell

Se7en with Brad Pitt

Last Tango in Paris with Marlon Brando

Ave Ventura Pet Detective ( I can't stand Jim Carey)

and I don't even waste my time on anything by Quentin Tarantino anymore.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2007, 10:52:36 pm »
I've never walked out of a movie. There's a few I WISHED I had walked out of though. One that comes to mind is "The Exorcist". I was only 11 at the time, and my mom had read the book a couple years prior to the film's theatrical release. She took both me and my sister to the movie. This was in 1973, I think and she didn't realize how intense and frightening this movie would be. Nobody did. The movie shocked and horrified many people. It scared the fire out of me. I remember sleeping with my bedroom light on for the next few weeks.

Another one was Jaws. It was an excellent movie, but again, it scared me to death. I was 13 when this movie hit the theatres. We took a vacation to Florida a month or two after I saw the movie, and just like many other people, I was scared to go into the water. I finally did, but only after much arm twisting from my mother.

I really don't have any problems sitting through a movie, no matter how bad it may be. I'll sit through it, and just make it a point to never watch it again. I really don't like those "slasher, blood and guts" movies such as "Friday the 13th" etc, so I don't go to those movies in the first place. I saw Halloween in 1978, but only because my friends pressured me to go. In fact, this was the very first movie I actually drove to. I had just received my driver's license about a month before. When I arrived home, mom and dad were both out to dinner with some friends, and I was the only one in the house. You can just imagine what was running through my mind. I spent the next two hours scared to death Michael Myers would pop out from around the corner and chase me out the front door.

Like I said, I don't like those kinds of movies!  :laugh:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2007, 11:55:48 am »
David me too, exactly, about The Exorcist and Jaws.  I was a little bit older than you when they came out.  I had read both the books, and they STILL freaked me out in movie form.  Remember "Tubular Bells," the theme from The Exorcist?  After seeing that movie, I would leap across the room to turn the radio off when it came on, it conjured up all that terrifyingness for me so vividly.  To this day, if I am at the beach, and I think about Jaws, I have a sudden, desperate yearning to be in America's Heartland, as far from sharks as I can get.  :)

Most of the movies you all have named I haven't seen because they SOUNDED like movies I would walk out on.

My husband and I did walk out of Goodfellas (or wait, was it Casino?), sitting in the lobby til the movie was over and my parents came out.  After seeing the Freedomland trailer the first time I saw BBM, I learned to go find and lay claim to my seat in the theater, then leave and not come back in til the Freedomland trailer was over.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2007, 12:05:08 pm »
The only movie I ever walked out of was The Blair Witch Project. I usually have no problem sitting through a movie no matter how bad it is, but The Blair Witch Project made me dizzy. The handheld camera movement made me feel sick. It trembled during the entire film. And the movie was so awful and silly that I didn't think it was worth staying.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:25:01 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2007, 12:14:40 pm »
I've walked out of a few in my day, even asked for a refund a few times... the most memorable/ forgettable are:

The New World with Colin Farrell

The New World was definitely yawnworthy.  I think I shut it off out of sheer tedium about 3 hours into it.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2007, 03:54:25 pm »
Violence keeps me out of movies completely. I have never seen "Pulp Fiction" despite all its accolades, nor have I seen "Fight Club." And I don't intend to.

L

Me too. Sometimes I find it hard to sit through the trailers of those kinds of films in the cinema.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2007, 04:16:37 pm »
That Freedomland trailer, oh my god, don't remind me!

This is one of the reasons I read movie reviews obsessively before seeing a movie....so I can pick and choose very carefully which movies I want to go to. I know lots of folks don't like to read reviews--they want to be surprised--but I prefer to know I am going to something I am going to enjoy.

Even so, I sometimes flub up. "The Family Stone" comes to mind as a movie I wish I hadn't wasted time and money on. Ugh. But when some critic I normally like said, "This has the potential to be the next 'It's A Wonderful Life' for holiday viewing," I figured it would be good. Boy, was I wrong. Diane Keaton as the bitchiest, witchiest woman on the planet, treating her potential future daughter-in-law like dirt. This is holiday viewing? I was glad she died of cancer!

Oops, that's a spoiler but then no one should be watching this movie anyway so I guess spoilers don't matter!

L

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2007, 09:16:07 pm »
Well, I just happened to walk out of my first movie ever this past Saturday night.  Will and I had driven back from Tampa during the day, and he was antsy and wanting to do something, so I took him to that great movie theater where they have the children's day care (and video games he loves to play) and I just bought a ticket for whatever was starting in the next half hour.  BIG mistake.  The only thing that was was "September Dawn."  I read a brief blurb about it in the theater's pamphlet about currently-playing movies and mistook it for the one opening soon with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe about the outlaw being taken to be tried.  It turned out to be about a real-life massacre of 120 settlers in Utah in the 1850s who the local Mormons decided were sinners and needed to be "eliminated."  Could have been an interesting allegory for today's headlines about religious fanaticism gone horribly wrong, but instead played out like a particularly bad "Gunsmoke" episode.  The dialogue was painful to my ears.  Put it this way - it made Paul Haggis' sound like Shakespeare.  I gave it a half hour and just could not bear it any longer.

Meanwhile, I'd paid for three hours of the Children's Playroom for my son and knew he'd be disappointed if I picked him up before even an hour had passed.  Nothing else was starting that I wanted to see.  I considered slipping into something already started for the heck of it, but nothing appealed (or I was just too irritated by that other movie to do it).  I couldn't leave the premises, so I went to the restaurant they have upstairs (one of my ideas years ago - why not have a restaurant - and a decent one - IN the movie theater?) and had a very nice Mediterranean chicken wrap with hummus and feta cheese on a yummy, fresh-baked pita.  So though I had to spend still more money, all was not lost.

I've been to many movies I wanted to walk out on - "Exit to Eden," "Kill Bill, Vol. 1," and "AI: Artificial Intelligence" spring to mind.  But I used to have this warped rule that it was just wrong to walk out on something you just paid 5-9 dollars for.

I guess now that I'm in my 40s and really starting to see how fleeting time is, I just refuse to waste any of it watching something that's disturbingly bad.  There are too many really good movies out there to justify it.

No more beans!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2007, 11:28:52 pm »
Even so, I sometimes flub up. "The Family Stone" comes to mind as a movie I wish I hadn't wasted time and money on.

Funny you should mention that film. My father-in-law was watching it and liked it. Although he's a complete TV/movie addict, he of course refuses to see Brokeback.  I pointed out that Family Stone had a gay couple — characters written with no flaws, while Brokeback showed us gays with their flaws and mistakes on full display.

Of course it didn't work: I guess he could 'accept' gays as side characters in a shitty film but not as central ones in a good film...   
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:51:51 am by LauraGigs »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2007, 06:48:18 am »
Oh, Barb, I was just looking up "September Dawn" on rottentomatoes.com. It does sound like a dreadful movie and you were right to leave. How about this quote from Roger Ebert:

What a strange, confused, unpleasant movie this is. Two theories have clustered around it: (1) It is anti-Mormon propaganda to muddy the waters around the presidential campaign of Mitt Romney, or (2) it is not about Mormons at all, but an allegory about the 9/11/01 terrorists. Take your choice. The problem with allegories is that you can plug them in anywhere. No doubt the film would have great impact in Darfur.

Ugh.

L

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2007, 08:46:42 pm »
3:10 to Yuma is what I thought it was, apparently.  Boy, am I sorry that I was wrong.

He sums it up quite nicely with "strange, confused, unpleasant."  That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  Sitting there watching it was one of the more unpleasant experiences I've had in a while.

No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2007, 10:32:16 pm »
3:10 to Yuma is what I thought it was, apparently.  Boy, am I sorry that I was wrong.

He sums it up quite nicely with "strange, confused, unpleasant."  That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  Sitting there watching it was one of the more unpleasant experiences I've had in a while.

Actually, any movie that might make Mit Romney uncomfortable, I should probably spend money to see. ...  ;D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2007, 10:39:00 pm »

"3:10 to Yuma"?  Don't you mean "September Dawn"?  I didn't think the Yuma film had opened yet.  ???
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 08:54:17 am »
"3:10 to Yuma"?  Don't you mean "September Dawn"?  I didn't think the Yuma film had opened yet.  ???

I think she meant she thought she was seeing 3:10 to Yuma, but it turned out to be September Dawn, which turned out to be strange, confused, and unpleasant?  ???

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 02:25:37 pm »
"DAWN" is quite popular in movie titles right now.  I thought you guys were talking about the other Dawn movie recently released called RESCUE DAWN, about a German American pilot shot down over Vietnam and the trials and tribulations he has to overcome.    I've seen the documentary LITTLE DIETER WANTS TO FLY which RESCUE DAWN is based on.   I didn't want to see Christian Bale (who plays Dieter) wasting away as he lost quite a bit of film during the movie to look like a POW.

I saw SUNSHINE a month ago which I quite enjoyed.  There are alot of movies with SUNSHINE in the title.  I guess it's a "happy" word.   :D I doubt BROKEBACK will be used again for a movie title unless it's referencing this film as BROKEBACK has been co opted by some as  merely just slang.  :(

There was a problem at the cinema while they showing the BOURNE thing, so I got a comp ticket.  I wasn't particularly enjoying the film as it was chase, chase, chase.  I was almost happy the sound when the sound went off as I had already mentally walked out.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 02:40:18 pm »
I really wanted to see Rescue Dawn. Especially because on the day I wanted to see it, I took my 11-year-old son on a hike through a state park and he complained the whole time. So I kept threatening to take him to RD so he could see what a really grueling hike would be like. Unfortunately, the timing was wrong, so instead we went to Bourne, which we both liked. Now I'll have to wait for Rescue Dawn in DVD.

It's funny, reading through the list of movies people walked out of, I agree that some were terrible -- and some I wouldn't go see in the first place -- but some of them I actually liked!

I'll endure almost any movie, so the only one I can remember walking out on was Bob Dylan's Renaldo and Clara. I love Bob Dylan but that was the most boring thing I ever sat through half of.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2007, 06:26:27 am »
I went to see the movie Ultraviolet back when BBM was still playing.... I didn't quite walk out but a ton of people did. I found the movie to be one of the most poorly made, underplayed things I've seen in a while, and for some reason extremely hilarious.... I laughed myself silly... people were looking at me oddly.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2007, 07:04:03 pm »
I can honestly say I have never walked out of a film, but I felt like it. Nothing recently, however. I am quite particular about what I see. My family calls me a film snob. Oh well! What can I say? C'est la vie!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2007, 07:27:19 pm »
I can honestly say I have never walked out of a film, but I felt like it. Nothing recently, however. I am quite particular about what I see. My family calls me a film snob. Oh well! What can I say? C'est la vie!

DIANE!!!!

How have you been doing, fellow Hoosier?

I've missed you!!!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2007, 08:36:52 pm »
I've missed you too Diane!  Awesome to see you back on the boards!  :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2007, 10:24:38 pm »
I think she meant she thought she was seeing 3:10 to Yuma, but it turned out to be September Dawn, which turned out to be strange, confused, and unpleasant?  ???

You are correct, sir!  On all counts.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2007, 12:34:32 am »
Great to see you, Diane! And you, too, Barb!!

:D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2007, 05:03:41 am »
Diane! We've missed you. It's great to see you here. Welcome back  :).

And Barb, our paths haven't crossed on the board for a while, so I second what Katherine said: it's good to see you too  :).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2007, 08:23:13 am »
As a public service, I'll tell you, from the reviews I have been reading, Balls of Fury may be walk-worthy. This is from Pajiba (www.pajiba.com):

Can Balls of Fury really be that bad? Ummm … yeah. Actually, maybe a little worse. I mean, when a film fails to elicit a single laugh from an entire audience of 12-year-olds, you know you’re more off base than a philandering army wife with a bad case of the black snake moan. Balls of Fury was terrible; an inept script executed with all the skill of a drunken firing squad aiming shotguns with all the propulsive power of a wet fart. You may not die watching Balls of Fury, but you’ll wish you had.

Barb, you've been warned! Don't wander into this one by accident!

L

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2007, 12:00:58 am »
I asked my daughter and she said, "More old fashioned musicals, where people spontaneously sing and dance. And maybe we should spontaneously sing and dance in real life, too."

Resurrecting an old post, but I really like that idea.

And no one laughs at us if we sing bad, or even better: we all can sing beautifully!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2007, 12:18:13 am »
As a public service, I'll tell you, from the reviews I have been reading, Balls of Fury may be walk-worthy. This is from Pajiba (www.pajiba.com):

Can Balls of Fury really be that bad? Ummm … yeah. Actually, maybe a little worse. I mean, when a film fails to elicit a single laugh from an entire audience of 12-year-olds, you know you’re more off base than a philandering army wife with a bad case of the black snake moan. Balls of Fury was terrible; an inept script executed with all the skill of a drunken firing squad aiming shotguns with all the propulsive power of a wet fart. You may not die watching Balls of Fury, but you’ll wish you had.

L

I have lately been wondering what on earth is going on in Christopher Walken's mind??  I know he is weird, and has made weird movies, but he has also been in good, interesting, unique movies.  I watched him in Click the other night (yeck) and now he is in this ridiculous Balls of Fury??  What ever happened to making real comedies?  Real life can be very funny - why so much of the inanely stupid these days??  When did stupid start counting for funny??
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2007, 08:06:28 am »
I have lately been wondering what on earth is going on in Christopher Walken's mind??  I know he is weird, and has made weird movies, but he has also been in good, interesting, unique movies.  I watched him in Click the other night (yeck) and now he is in this ridiculous Balls of Fury??  What ever happened to making real comedies?  Real life can be very funny - why so much of the inanely stupid these days??  When did stupid start counting for funny??

Good question, Kelly. From that same Pajiba review, this is what they had to say ....

...run by Christopher Walken, who I think is supposed to be Asian in the film. You never really know with Walken — he’s got one gear, and it’s apparently kooky; I mean, is there anything else Walken can do? He’s got 109 credits to his name, and I bet they’re all variations of kooky: Asshole kooky (Wedding Crashers), authoritarian kooky (Catch Me If You Can), hokey kooky (Blast from the Past), psycho kooky (Pulp Fiction), disturbed kooky (The Deer Hunter), awesome kooky (Fatboy Slim’s video), what-the-fuck kooky (Gigli) and, his most popular variation of late: Paycheck kooky.

L