Author Topic: Movies You've Walked Out Of! It's your turn...  (Read 22951 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Movies You've Walked Out Of! It's your turn...
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2007, 03:54:25 pm »
Violence keeps me out of movies completely. I have never seen "Pulp Fiction" despite all its accolades, nor have I seen "Fight Club." And I don't intend to.

L

Me too. Sometimes I find it hard to sit through the trailers of those kinds of films in the cinema.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2007, 04:16:37 pm »
That Freedomland trailer, oh my god, don't remind me!

This is one of the reasons I read movie reviews obsessively before seeing a movie....so I can pick and choose very carefully which movies I want to go to. I know lots of folks don't like to read reviews--they want to be surprised--but I prefer to know I am going to something I am going to enjoy.

Even so, I sometimes flub up. "The Family Stone" comes to mind as a movie I wish I hadn't wasted time and money on. Ugh. But when some critic I normally like said, "This has the potential to be the next 'It's A Wonderful Life' for holiday viewing," I figured it would be good. Boy, was I wrong. Diane Keaton as the bitchiest, witchiest woman on the planet, treating her potential future daughter-in-law like dirt. This is holiday viewing? I was glad she died of cancer!

Oops, that's a spoiler but then no one should be watching this movie anyway so I guess spoilers don't matter!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2007, 09:16:07 pm »
Well, I just happened to walk out of my first movie ever this past Saturday night.  Will and I had driven back from Tampa during the day, and he was antsy and wanting to do something, so I took him to that great movie theater where they have the children's day care (and video games he loves to play) and I just bought a ticket for whatever was starting in the next half hour.  BIG mistake.  The only thing that was was "September Dawn."  I read a brief blurb about it in the theater's pamphlet about currently-playing movies and mistook it for the one opening soon with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe about the outlaw being taken to be tried.  It turned out to be about a real-life massacre of 120 settlers in Utah in the 1850s who the local Mormons decided were sinners and needed to be "eliminated."  Could have been an interesting allegory for today's headlines about religious fanaticism gone horribly wrong, but instead played out like a particularly bad "Gunsmoke" episode.  The dialogue was painful to my ears.  Put it this way - it made Paul Haggis' sound like Shakespeare.  I gave it a half hour and just could not bear it any longer.

Meanwhile, I'd paid for three hours of the Children's Playroom for my son and knew he'd be disappointed if I picked him up before even an hour had passed.  Nothing else was starting that I wanted to see.  I considered slipping into something already started for the heck of it, but nothing appealed (or I was just too irritated by that other movie to do it).  I couldn't leave the premises, so I went to the restaurant they have upstairs (one of my ideas years ago - why not have a restaurant - and a decent one - IN the movie theater?) and had a very nice Mediterranean chicken wrap with hummus and feta cheese on a yummy, fresh-baked pita.  So though I had to spend still more money, all was not lost.

I've been to many movies I wanted to walk out on - "Exit to Eden," "Kill Bill, Vol. 1," and "AI: Artificial Intelligence" spring to mind.  But I used to have this warped rule that it was just wrong to walk out on something you just paid 5-9 dollars for.

I guess now that I'm in my 40s and really starting to see how fleeting time is, I just refuse to waste any of it watching something that's disturbingly bad.  There are too many really good movies out there to justify it.

No more beans!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2007, 11:28:52 pm »
Even so, I sometimes flub up. "The Family Stone" comes to mind as a movie I wish I hadn't wasted time and money on.

Funny you should mention that film. My father-in-law was watching it and liked it. Although he's a complete TV/movie addict, he of course refuses to see Brokeback.  I pointed out that Family Stone had a gay couple — characters written with no flaws, while Brokeback showed us gays with their flaws and mistakes on full display.

Of course it didn't work: I guess he could 'accept' gays as side characters in a shitty film but not as central ones in a good film...   
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:51:51 am by LauraGigs »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2007, 06:48:18 am »
Oh, Barb, I was just looking up "September Dawn" on rottentomatoes.com. It does sound like a dreadful movie and you were right to leave. How about this quote from Roger Ebert:

What a strange, confused, unpleasant movie this is. Two theories have clustered around it: (1) It is anti-Mormon propaganda to muddy the waters around the presidential campaign of Mitt Romney, or (2) it is not about Mormons at all, but an allegory about the 9/11/01 terrorists. Take your choice. The problem with allegories is that you can plug them in anywhere. No doubt the film would have great impact in Darfur.

Ugh.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2007, 08:46:42 pm »
3:10 to Yuma is what I thought it was, apparently.  Boy, am I sorry that I was wrong.

He sums it up quite nicely with "strange, confused, unpleasant."  That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  Sitting there watching it was one of the more unpleasant experiences I've had in a while.

No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2007, 10:32:16 pm »
3:10 to Yuma is what I thought it was, apparently.  Boy, am I sorry that I was wrong.

He sums it up quite nicely with "strange, confused, unpleasant."  That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  Sitting there watching it was one of the more unpleasant experiences I've had in a while.

Actually, any movie that might make Mit Romney uncomfortable, I should probably spend money to see. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2007, 10:39:00 pm »

"3:10 to Yuma"?  Don't you mean "September Dawn"?  I didn't think the Yuma film had opened yet.  ???
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 08:54:17 am »
"3:10 to Yuma"?  Don't you mean "September Dawn"?  I didn't think the Yuma film had opened yet.  ???

I think she meant she thought she was seeing 3:10 to Yuma, but it turned out to be September Dawn, which turned out to be strange, confused, and unpleasant?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 02:25:37 pm »
"DAWN" is quite popular in movie titles right now.  I thought you guys were talking about the other Dawn movie recently released called RESCUE DAWN, about a German American pilot shot down over Vietnam and the trials and tribulations he has to overcome.    I've seen the documentary LITTLE DIETER WANTS TO FLY which RESCUE DAWN is based on.   I didn't want to see Christian Bale (who plays Dieter) wasting away as he lost quite a bit of film during the movie to look like a POW.

I saw SUNSHINE a month ago which I quite enjoyed.  There are alot of movies with SUNSHINE in the title.  I guess it's a "happy" word.   :D I doubt BROKEBACK will be used again for a movie title unless it's referencing this film as BROKEBACK has been co opted by some as  merely just slang.  :(

There was a problem at the cinema while they showing the BOURNE thing, so I got a comp ticket.  I wasn't particularly enjoying the film as it was chase, chase, chase.  I was almost happy the sound when the sound went off as I had already mentally walked out.