Author Topic: Pages From My Mama's Cookbook  (Read 28344 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Pages From My Mama's Cookbook
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:36:52 am »
Do any of you have some recipes you would like to post and share with the rest of the community? Maybe we could post them in here! My mom passed down MANY recipes to me after she died. Some are traditional Lakota dishes, some are African American, and others are popular dishes served in the midwest and the south.

Maybe you all could post some of your favorite recipes too? I think it would be interesting and fun to exchange recipes with each other and try dishes from other parts of the world.

What do you think?

Okay!  :D

I'll go first!!!  :D

Hoosier Corn Bread

You will need:

2 cups of yellow corn meal
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup of sweet milk
1/4 cup of cooking oil or melted shortening

Combine corn meal, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add the sweet milk, egg and oil or shortening. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened but do not beat. Pour into a well greased 8 inch square baking pan dusted with corn meal. Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes or until done and a light golden brown.

This recipe makes about 16, 2 inch square pieces.

If you don't like sweet milk, you can use buttermilk instead. Simply decrease the baking powder to 2 teaspoons, and add 1 teaspoon of soda to the recipe.

Enjoy!!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Pages From My Mama's Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:53:27 am »
David, what is sweet milk?  What do you typically eat with this corn bread?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:17:02 am »

It comes in a can, Clarissa. You should be able to find it in your grocery store. Look for Borden's "Eagle Brand". If you can't find it, you can always  substitute it with buttermilk. I like the sweet milk because it adds a sweet taste to the corn bread.  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:36:24 am »
Great idea, David! You should also post the Key Lime pie recipe... and the fried chicken?  :P :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 04:50:07 pm »

Oops! I missed part of your question Clarissa! Sorry about that!

Corn bread is good with just about anything, but I often make it when I'm serving pot roast, stew or casseroles. My room mate likes to put a couple of pieces in a bowl and pour syrup on them. I don't like it with syrup. I put butter on mine! But it's best served while it's still warm, otherwise it tends to taste a little dry.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:51:03 pm »
Great idea, David! You should also post the Key Lime pie recipe... and the fried chicken?  :P :P

Oh I will!  :D

But I'm hoping other people will post their recipes in here too!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 08:52:44 pm »
I think sweet milk is also known as condensed milk, which is not to be confused with evaporated milk.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 01:56:43 am »
There's several different ways I make this, but this is probably the easiest! It is fast, simple and requires NO baking!  :D

Key Lime Pie

You will need:

9" graham cracker pie crust
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
6 oz. non-dairy topping (ie: Cool Whip)
1/2 cup lime juice

Mix condensed milk with non-dairy topping at medium speed until blended. Add lime juice to mixture and blend well. Pour into graham cracker pie crust. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream.  :D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 02:08:57 am »
I think sweet milk is also known as condensed milk, which is not to be confused with evaporated milk.

When I was growing up--in the country--we called regular milk "sweet milk" to distinguish it from buttermilk. We called the sweetened condensed milk "Eagle Brand Milk" even if that's not the brand we used. We also used "light bread" for regular bread to distinguish it from cornbread which was served daily. Seems so strange now.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 02:12:40 am »
When I was growing up--in the country--we called regular milk "sweet milk" to distinguish it from buttermilk. We called the sweetened condensed milk "Eagle Brand Milk" even if that's not the brand we used. We also used "light bread" for regular bread to distinguish it from cornbread which was served daily. Seems so strange now.

It sounds like Indiana and Arkansas are somewhat similar; we use some of the same terminology Shasta. DId you also call lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper" when you were growing up? We did! And like you, I grew up on cornbread! Mom also made lots and lots of fry bread, which is a Lakota Sioux recipe. Maybe I'll post a fry bread recipe here sometime soon! It's good!!  :D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 02:15:06 am »
There's several different ways I make this, but this is probably the easiest! It is fast, simple and requires NO baking!  :D

Key Lime Pie

You will need:

9" graham cracker pie crust
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
6 oz. non-dairy topping (ie: Cool Whip)
1/2 cup lime juice

Mix condensed milk with non-dairy topping at medium speed until blended. Add lime juice to mixture and blend well. Pour into graham cracker pie crust. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream.  :D

This sounds delicious!  Is it legal to make something so rich and easy?  My eyes are opened.  I am enlightened.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 02:20:11 am »
It sounds like Indiana and Arkansas are somewhat similar; we use some of the same terminology Shasta. DId you also call lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper" when you were growing up? We did! And like you, I grew up on cornbread! Mom also made lots and lots of fry bread, which is a Lakota Sioux recipe. Maybe I'll post a fry bread recipe here sometime soon! It's good!!  :D

Same thing on the meals---there was no "lunch". LOL I grew up in Missouri, but it was in the southeast corner of the BOOTHEEL, so just 1/2 mile from Arkansas. I could ride my bicycle to Arkansas in minutes. Our daily cornbread was usually accompanied by beans---Great Northern beans---sometimes white and sometimes brown. My doctor said that I had about the LOWest cholesterol he'd ever seen---I credited the beans. LOL Did your folks raise a garden? We had to have a garden every year too. Looking forward to the fry bread recipe. My granny made the best "chocolate gravy"--no recipe, tho. She just made it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 02:27:30 am »

This sounds delicious!  Is it legal to make something so rich and easy?  My eyes are opened.  I am enlightened.

Clarissa, it should be illegal because it's so good! I was taught this recipe when I lived in South Florida. I use several variations of it though, but this is one of the easiest I think. It's one of the best too! Key Lime Pie is VERY good during the summer, when it is so hot and muggy outside, but it's also good any time of the year. I'll normally make two or threee of them at a time, because my room mate loves them, and so does Alex when he's here visiting me.  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 02:31:01 am »
Same thing on the meals---there was no "lunch". LOL I grew up in Missouri, but it was in the southeast corner of the BOOTHEEL, so just 1/2 mile from Arkansas. I could ride my bicycle to Arkansas in minutes. Our daily cornbread was usually accompanied by beans---Great Northern beans---sometimes white and sometimes brown. My doctor said that I had about the LOWest cholesterol he'd ever seen---I credited the beans. LOL Did your folks raise a garden? We had to have a garden every year too. Looking forward to the fry bread recipe. My granny made the best "chocolate gravy"--no recipe, tho. She just made it.

Oh Lord Yes!!! Dad had a garden. He grew tomatoes, carrots, butter beans, spinach, snap beans, turnips, and about 7 kinds of lettuce!! He loved his garden, but he gave most of what he grew away to friends and neighbors. He had to plow his garden under several years ago because he isn't in any shape to take care of a garden that big anymore.  :'(

But he sure did enjoy his garden for many years and we had more vegetables (and fruit too) than we knew what to do with!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 02:47:55 am »
Mom and Dad accidentally grew a winter carrot once. In January I think. Ewww, it was terrible.  :P

They yanked it out of the ground and brought it in and COOKED it!!! It had the consistency of rubber and it squirted out a terrible tasting juice when we tried to eat it. I damn near got sick right where I sat.  :laugh:

Whew! Lord! I'll never forget that awful tasting winter carrot as long as I live!  :P  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 04:14:46 am »
And I'm not exaggerating about that winter carrot either. It looked like something Harry Potter cut off the Whomping Tree.

I swear that sucker had branches growing on it.  :P

And for those of you in Northern Climes, if you find something growing in your garden in the middle of January... just leave it there. Don't pull it out, and PLEASE GOD don't try to eat it. Just leave it there and let nature take it's course. Okay??  :P

injest

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 07:39:39 am »
It comes in a can, Clarissa. You should be able to find it in your grocery store. Look for Borden's "Eagle Brand". If you can't find it, you can always  substitute it with buttermilk. I like the sweet milk because it adds a sweet taste to the corn bread.  :D

ok...I can handle the Indian thing. I can handle the African/American thing. I can handle the gay thing. Heck, I can even handle the Dang YANKEE thing.

but I draw the line at SWEET cornbread!!

THAT is just WRONG!! Sacrilege! I can't let my mom know I am associating with someone that likes his cornbread sweet!

:laugh: :laugh: ;) :-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 07:58:57 am »
Now don't you go dissing us Yankees, Jess!

I read this somewhere once:

To people from the rest of the world, Yankees are Americans.
To Americans, Yankees are New Englanders.
To New Englanders, Yankees are from Vermont.
To Vermonters, Yankees are people who eat cheddar cheese with their apple pie for breakfast.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 08:03:36 am »
Here's a cornbread variation...I guess this is a Yankee recipe, I got it out of the (Maine) newspaper years ago.

Creamy Double Corn Cornbread

2 large eggs
1 15 oz. can cream style corn
3/4 to 1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
1 cup cornmeal

Mix eggs, cream style corn and sour cream together. Mix well. Combine dry ingredients and add to the liquid mixture. Stir lightly until mixed. Turn into a greased and heated 9 inch square pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until well browned. Cut into squares and serve.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 12:39:35 pm »

Us too, sweet milk was regular milk...  :)

David my Mom used to make cornbread too and her recipe was almost the same as your.  Except she reduced the buttermilk to ½ cup and added one  can of cream style corn.  It was so moist and delicate there was never any left over but I bet it was just as good the next day too.  My Dad use to put it in a bowl with a little milk on it.

Hey Shasta!  Mom also use to make Chocolate Gravy for us too!  This is her recipe, it is delicious...

Chocolate Gravy

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 cups milk

DIRECTIONS

1.   Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add cocoa and flour; stir until a thick paste is formed. Stir in sugar and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.  Serve over hot buttered biscuits, toast or pancakes.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 12:42:24 pm »
Mom use to take Teddy and me berry pickin and she would bake pies and cakes…the cake is my favorite

Melt-In-Your-Mouth-Huckleberry Cake

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cup sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1-1/2 cups fresh huckleberries

DIRECTIONS

Beat 1/2 cup butter or margarine in large bowl until creamy; add 1 cup white sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until light and creamy. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Fold in beaten egg whites. Fold in the fresh berries. Shake a little of the dry ingredients over the berries, before adding them to the mix so the berries won't sink to the bottom.

Turn into a greased 8 by 8-inch pan. Sprinkle top of the batter lightly with granulated sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

Huckleberry Pie

INGREDIENTS
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup lard
3 cups fresh huckleberries (you can substitute frozen)
1 cup sugar
6-8 Tbs. Flour ( You can add more flour or less depending on preference)

DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 425°

Pour huckleberries into medium bowl and toss sugar and 6-8 tablespoons four with them (gently) until all berries are covered. Set aside and make pastry.

In medium bowl mix 2 cups flour, salt and lard, using two knives or any other pastry blender. I always do it with my fingers, squeezing the lard into the flour mixture until it's all crumbled and looks like cornmeal. (Wash hand first) Add about 8 tablespoons of ice water, tossing gently with a fork until it sticks together and can be rolled out. (Add more water to make it stick, a little at a time.) Roll out 1/2 of the dough on a floured, flat surface. Place on bottom of pie pan and fill with huckleberry mixture. Roll remaining dough and put on top of pie. Deal the edges and crimp edges in decorative style. Put fork pricks in the center for air to escape. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely.

Note: This always leaks, no matter how carefully you try to crimp the edges, so if you don't have an oven that cleans itself, put a lining of tinfoil under the pie to catch the spill.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 01:24:30 pm »
For those of you who enjoy Gazpacho (the Spanish cold soup), you might want to try Salmorejo. It's similar to Gazpacho but thicker. I got the recipe from a cookbook.

Ingredients:

2 pounds of ripe tomatoes
1 clove of Garlic
10 ounces of bread (Spaniards use baguette, the remains of the day before. Not very fresh).
1/2 Cup of Olive oil
Vinegar to taste (try not to add much, just a bit)
Salt to taste
A slice or two of cured ham

Preparation

In a blender mix the tomatoes, with the bread, the olive oil, the garlic, the salt and the vinegar until it is fully blended and soft. Put in the fridge for two hours or so until it is cold. Before serving, cut the ham slices into dices, and add them to each dish. Like in the picture:

Some people add a boiled egg cut into dices. But I don't like it. I prefer it with ham.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 02:24:04 pm »
ok...I can handle the Indian thing. I can handle the African/American thing. I can handle the gay thing. Heck, I can even handle the Dang YANKEE thing.

but I draw the line at SWEET cornbread!!

THAT is just WRONG!! Sacrilege! I can't let my mom know I am associating with someone that likes his cornbread sweet!

:laugh: :laugh: ;) :-*

Jess, it doesn't make the cornbread sweet. It just makes it a little sweeter. It's a very slight sweet under taste.

You're a trip girl!!  :laugh:

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 03:09:53 pm »
Oh I love the Huckleberry recipes, I am gonna try them. Need a conversion table though...

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

:D

Mel

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 09:37:03 pm »
Oh I love the Huckleberry recipes, I am gonna try them. Need a conversion table though...

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

:D

Mel

Enjoy Mel !  Glad I could provide you with a recipe  ;D

This jam is one my Mom made in large batches and froze every fall she served it with venison, elk and duck or goose. I still make it in the fall and freeze it in small plastic containers.  Bob and I love it and so far so does everyone I've ever served it to.  It is delicious with roasted or grilled pork, lamb or chicken.  My brother always steals a container when he's in town he likes it on steak on the grill or fresh trout.

Sweet Onion Jam

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds sweet onions
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (my Mom used Cider Vinegar but I find balsamic gives it more depth)
1/3 cup dry red wine
dash salt

PREPARATION:

Peel onions; cut in half lengthwise then slice thinly.
Melt butter in a large skillet or saucepan; add sliced onions and cook, covered, over medium-low heat until tender and translucent. Stir frequently.

Combine the remaining ingredients; add to the sliced onions and stir to blend. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until syrupy. The syrup should coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a bowl and cool to room temperature.

Keep refrigerated for 4 to 5 days. Freeze in small amounts for later use.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 01:15:08 am »
Oh WOW Dottie, that sweet onion jam sounds really good!  :D

I'm gonna try that sometime!

Here's another recipe....

Hoosier Country Fried Chicken

You will need:

3 lbs frying chicken (cut into pieces)
Shortening (trans fat free) or Canola oil which is what I've been using lately
1/2 cup of milk
1 egg
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of corn meal
2 teaspoons of garlic salt
2 teaspoons of table salt
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
1 small pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of black pepper

Blend the milk and egg. Then combine the flour and cornmeal and the seasonings in a paper bag. Shake the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour. Dip the chicken pieces into the egg/milk mixture and then shake chicken a second time in the seasoning to coat thoroughly and evenly.

Melt the shortening or pour the Canola oil in a skillet to about 1 inch deep and heat to 365 F. Brown the chicken on all sides. Reduce the heat to 275 F and continue cooking until the chicken is tender (about 30-40 minutes). DO NOT COVER! Be sure to turn the chicken pieces several times during cooking. Drain the chicken pieces on paper towels.

If you do not like corn meal, you may leave it out and increase the flour to 1 cup.

For extra crispy chicken, add finely crunched corn flakes to the flour/corn meal mixture.

For extra spicy chicken, increase poultry seasoning to 1/2 teaspoon and black pepper to 2 teaspoons.

For those of you on a diet, remove the chicken skin before frying for a fat free fried chicken!  :D (Try to say THAT fast three times in a row!!)

Enjoy!!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 01:28:11 am »
Fried Green Tomatoes

This is very popular in Indiana and one of my favorites for lunch!!!

You will need:

4 medium green tomatoes (If you don't like green tomatoes, you can substitute with half ripened ones)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons table salt
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup milk
Shortening or Canola oil

Thoroughly wash tomatoes, but do not peel them. Cut the tomatoes into 3/4 inch slices and place on paper towels to drain. Combine the flour, salt, sugar and pepper. Dust the tomatoes in the flour mixture on both sides. Add the milk to the remaining flour mixture to make a thick batter. Dip the floured tomatoes in the batter. Fry in the hot oil 1/2 inch deep until golden brown on both sides. This recipe makes about 6 servings.

I always make a sandwich of my fried green tomatoes with white bread and mayonnaise. They are also very good served plain on a plate!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 01:33:12 am »
For those of you who enjoy Gazpacho (the Spanish cold soup), you might want to try Salmorejo. It's similar to Gazpacho but thicker. I got the recipe from a cookbook.

Natali, I'm going to try your soup sometime soon. It sounds WONDERFUL and fairly easy to make! Thanks for posting the recipe!!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 01:46:42 am »

Please Stay Tuned For The Fry Bread Recipe!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Mmmmmmm..... Yummy!!!!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2007, 11:11:16 pm »
Fry bread has been popular on the Sioux side of the  family for hundreds of years. I was raised on fry bread, and mom would make it once or twice a week, especially on the weekends. Fry bread recipes will vary from tribe to tribe, but the one below is a popular Lakota Sioux recipe and one my mother frequently used. Enjoy!!  :D

Lakota Fry Bread

You will need:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying

In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, dry milk, and salt together. Stir in the water until you have a sticky dough.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and sprinkle with flour. Roll out to a 16-by-12-inch rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into twenty-four 2-inch squares. Cut a 1/2-inch slit in the middle of each square.

Add enough oil to a deep cast-iron skillet or a deep-fat fryer to reach a depth of 1 to 2 inches and heat it to 350 to 365 degrees. (The oil is ready when a piece of dough sizzles as soon as it is placed in the pan.) In batches, fry the squares of dough, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes total. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve warm.

Fry bread is very good served plain, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or drizzled with berry syrup, or topped with your favorite taco ingredients.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 07:28:18 am »
These receipes all sound lovely! I love my food but I'm not good at making things.

I think I'll try the soup Natali - and replace the ham for eggs - as david says it sounds really easy to make. The pie also seems easy - but not sure what I'd use as a replacment for the non dairy topping.

I think i tried cornbread when I was in Washington - it was on the side with a meal - it was something that I'd never tasted anything like it but I enjoyed it. Its interetsing though - a lot of the recipies here have things I've never heard of - all the differennt type of milks and corn meals and non dairy thingy majigs!

You guys will need to send me a care package of all these goods so I can try making stuff!!

I will have a look at home and see if I have any good (but easy!) recipies!!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 10:14:58 am »
and Lynne.... (If you're reading!) I llove Greek food so some Greek (vegetarian) food recipies would be very good.. I know you're a dab hand at them!

I can't wait until I set off for crete shortly! Roll on September!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 08:22:02 pm »
Ice Cream Sandwiches

My mom used to make these for us when we were little, and they still taste good on a hot summer day!

You will need:

1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup peanut butter
4 cups of rice cereal (Kellogg's Rice Krispies or similar)
1 pint vanilla ice cream cut into 6 slices

In a medium size mixing bowl, stir together corn syrup and peanut butter. Add the rice cereal to the mixture. Stir until well coated. Press the mixture evenly in a buttered 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Place in freezer or coldest part of refrigerator until firm. Cut cereal mixture into twelve 3 inch squares. Sandwich each slice slice of ice cream between 2 squares. Freeze until firm. Cut each large sandwich in half and wrap individually in foil. Store in freezer until needed.

This recipe makes 12 sandwiches.  :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 03:54:56 am »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. even though its raiing outside and dull.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 04:16:48 am »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. even though its raiing outside and dull.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm

They're good any time of year Kelda! They're also a really good comfort food.  :)

mvansand76

Yummy Cherry-Monchou cake...
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2007, 06:00:30 pm »
Ingredients:
175 gr  biscuits
150 gr  butter
200 gr  monchou or cream cheese
125 gr  caster sugar
2.5 dl  whipping cream
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
"Whip it" (cream stabilizer)
pie filling cherries
(original cherries, you can use other)
extra:
springform Ø 22-24 cm

Crush the dry biscuits (your personal favorites) with a rolling pin (in a plastic bag). Melt the butter a little on very low heat and mix well with the biscuit crumbs. Divide the mixture in the greased springform pan to make a pie-bottom and let cool in the fridge.
Beat the cream cheese (monchou) and caster sugar creamy.
Beat the cream, vanilla sugar and "Whip it" to stiff peaks.
Fold the cream into the mon-chou mixture and divide the mixture over the bottom.
Cover the cheese cake with the pie filling (and decoration).
Let firm in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

My mother always makes this!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2007, 07:00:05 pm »
Thanks Melissa!  :D

Now where the hell did I put my metric meauring cup?

This recipe sounds really good. Thanks for posting it!!  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 07:14:09 pm »
I agree! And I can't wait to make the fry bread too, David!!

I think I will put some fish on the fry bread and fold it up into... you know what!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2007, 07:23:47 pm »
I agree! And I can't wait to make the fry bread too, David!!

I think I will put some fish on the fry bread and fold it up into... you know what!

FISH TACOS!!!!!

Well, for people who like fish tacos they would probably taste very good on fry bread!!  :D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
Recipe Exchange
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 09:34:15 pm »
I thought it would be a fun idea to have a recipe exchange.
I love to cook (ok, I really love to eat) and I thought it would be fun to share some of our favorite recipes with each other. Ecspecially having Brokies from all over the globe it would give us all the chance to try new stuff.
Now, I have not been educated at Le Cordon bleu! So I don't have anything fancy I usually go for what tastes good and is easy! LOL
So, if anyone is interested please feel free to contribute!

This is a favorite I make my family at the holidays:

Corn Pudding

8oz of sour cream
1 can creamed corn
1 can regular corn
one box of jiffy corn muffin mix.

Preheat oven to 350
Mix all of the above ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
Pour into a cassarole dish.
Bake until golden brown and firm.

Sometimes I add Jalapeno's and chedder cheese to the mix and serve on top of Chili!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
Re: Recipe Exchange
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2007, 09:52:29 pm »
This is one of my all time favorites!
It's great for football parties. Goes really well with Beer!

Buffalo Chicken Dip

4 boneless skinless breasts
1 12oz bottle of Texas Pete Hot Sauce
2 8oz pkg's of Cream Cheese
1 Jar of fresh Blue Cheese Dressing (Naturally Fresh or Maries is what I use)
16 oz of grated colby jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350
boil, then shred the chicken breasts
in a large bowl mix the shredded chicken with the bottle of texas pete hot sauce. Set Aside.
Mix Blue Cheese dressing and cream cheese with a mixer until smooth.
in a 13x9 pan spread out the shredded chicken. pour the cream cheese/blue cheese mixture on top of chicken and cover completely.
bake st 350 fo 20 minutes.
Sprinkle the colby jack cheese on top upon removing from oven.
serve hot with sturdy tortilla chips.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 09:21:59 am by loneleeb3 »
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

injest

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2007, 10:41:22 pm »
bottle of Texas?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2007, 01:18:42 am »
Ribs and Rice

This recipe comes from the Creole side of my family and is still very popular in rural south Louisiana.

You will need:

2 or 3 lbs. of short ribs
1 10 ounce can of condensed onion soup
1 4 ounce can of mushrooms
1 cup of beef bouillon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper sauce (tabasco)
Hot cooked rice

Brown the short ribs in a Dutch oven. Combine remaining ingredients except the rice, plus 1/2 cup of water. Pour over the ribs. Cover and let simmer for about 2 1/2 hours. Serve with hot cooked rice. This recipe makes about 4 servings.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2007, 01:27:45 am »
Meat Loaf

You will need:

1/2 cup of catsup
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of powdered mustard
4 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1 egg
2 tablespoons of finely chopped green pepper
1 1/2 cups of wheat cereal (Wheat Chex)
1 1/2 lbs of ground beef

In a large bowl combine catsup, brown sugar and mustard. Reserve 4 tablespoons of mixture for the topping. To the remaining mixture add Worcestershire sausc, salt, onion, garlic powder, pepper and egg. Blend well. Stir in green pepper and wheat cereal. Let stand for about 5 minutes. Break up the wheat cereal and then add the ground beef. Mix well. Shape into a loaf in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350 F oven for 65 minutes. Spread the top with reserved catsup mixture. Bake an additional 15 minutes.

This recipe makes about 6 servings.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 01:42:42 am »
Grits and Grillades

Mom would cook this for breakfast sometimes and it was very good!

You will need:

2 lbs of beef round, thinly sliced
6 tablespoons of bacon drippings or salad oil
4 tablespoons of all purpose flour
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup of peeled and cubed tomatoes
1 and a half cup of water
1 green pepper, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon of parsley
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper sauce (tabasco)
1/2 teaspoon of thyme
3 cups of cooked grits

Brown the meat in oil in a deep skillet. Remove the meat and add the flour and brown, stirring constantly. Add onion and tomatoes. Let simmer for a few minutes. Add the meat, water, pepper, garlic, bay leaf, parsley, salt, pepper sauce and thyme. Cover and allow to simmer for about 90 minutes or until the meat is very tender, adding water if necessary to make the sauce the consistency of thick gravy. Serve the grillades (the grilled beef and sauce)  with a portion of hot grits on the side.

This recipe makes about 6 servings.

Note: If you do not like grits, you may substitute them with hot cooked rice.   :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 04:00:18 am »
bottle of Texas?

Maybe its

then shred the chicken breasts
in a large bowl mis the shredded chicken with the bottle of texas pete hot sauce.

That right Lee?
 ;D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2007, 09:13:02 am »
LOL!

It's a big Bottle!  :laugh:

Sorry I can't type worth a darn!
A 12oz bottle of Texas Pete Hot sauce!
Mix it with the the shredded chicken nit mis it! LOL
 Y'all are going to have to learn to translate my typing! :laugh: :laugh:

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2007, 09:14:12 am »
Well, I didn't even see this when I started my thread!
I swear i looked! LOL
I'll just put my recipes here and cancel out what I wrote! LOL
Sorry!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2007, 09:15:29 am »
heh, lee don't worry!

You and David obviously think alike!  - I can merge the threads for you - save you deleting and retyping?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2007, 09:18:28 am »
heh, lee don't worry!

You and David obviously think alike!  - I can merge the threads for you - save you deleting and retyping?
Kelda, you are a sweetheart! That would be great ecspecially since my typing skills are lacking! :laugh:
Great minds do think alike I hear! LOL

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2007, 09:21:11 am »
MERGED!

My first merge went successfully I think!

*kelda now awaits the crashing of Betetrmost as a result*

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2007, 10:15:24 am »
MERGED!

My first merge went successfully I think!

*kelda now awaits the crashing of Betetrmost as a result*

You're a genius!
It looks good to me!  ;D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2007, 10:18:57 am »
Easy Salisbury Steaks

My Daughter loves this and it's so easy!

Package of 4 of 5 cubed steaks
1 can of Cambells golden mushroom soup
1  pack of liptons onion soup mix
4oz of water.
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.

Throw it all in the crock pot and cook it all day on low.

When it's done you have a tender piece of meat and gravy already made.
Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.
We like rice and gravy better!  ;D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2007, 10:23:36 am »
Hawaiian Chicken

Another of Elizabeths favorites!

1 whole cut up chicken
16 oz of red russian dressing
1 pack of lipton onion soup mix
1 can of chunked pineapple (drained)
1 jar of apricot preserves
4oz of water

Again, just throw all the ingredients into a crock pot or slow cooker of your choice.
let it cook all day and serve with rice.
I like to make jasmine rice and cook it in the left over pine apple juice and coconut milk.

Elizabeth likes it when I do all drumsticks instead of the whole chicken. You can buy packs of drumsticks and do it that way if you like. You can also do boneless and skinless breasts too.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2007, 12:41:20 am »
Your Hawaiian chicken recipe sounds really good Lee. I'm gonna try it sometime soon!  :)

Here's what I had for dinner tonight!

Stuffed Peppers

You will need:

1/2 cup of cooked rice (I use white rice)
3/4 lb of ground beef
1/4 cup of minced fresh onion
3 Tablespoons of A1 steak sauce (or similar)
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1 eight ounce can of tomato sauce
1 twelve ounce can of whole kernel corn (drained)
6 large green peppers
6 medium peeled carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tablespoons of butter or margarine
1/2 cup of water

While the rice is cooking, in a medium skillet brown the beef until it is crumbly then drain it. Add the onion and cook until the onion is soft. Remove from heat. Mix in the A-1, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, corn and rice. Cut the tops off the peppers, and remove the seeds and membranes and discard. Fill the peppers with meat and rice mixture. Place the peppers and carrots in a 10 inch skillet. Add the butter and water and allow to simmer, covered for about 30 or 40 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.

This recipe will serve 4-6 people.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2007, 01:58:22 am »
We love this at my house with a spinach salad  and a good Sauvignon Blanc

No Crust Zucchini Tart

4 cups (960mL) zucchini, grated
 1/4 (60mL) cup butter
 Â½  cup (120mL) sliced fresh mushrooms
 1 cup (240mL) onion, coarsely chopped
 1/4 cup (60mL) parsley, chopped
 1 Tbsp. (15mL) Mrs. Dash® Classic Italiano Seasoning Blend (or any blend of Italian herbs you choose)
 3 eggs, beaten
 1 cup (120mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
 Â½ cup (120mL) whipping cream

Directions:
•Wash and trim zucchini, grate and place in colander and drain over sink for 1/2 hour.
•Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
•Add butter to a skillet and melt over medium heat.
•Add onion, parsley, zucchini and mushrooms,  saute until tender, about      12-15 minutes.
•Stir in Mrs. Dash® Classic Italiano, and cool mixture slightly.
•In a large bowl, beat eggs, add cheese and cream.
•Gently fold in zucchini mixture, spread evenly in 1quart casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
•Cook in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
•Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

If you like 1 cup of diced Chicken or Ham can be added to the recipe.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2007, 07:47:20 am »
We love this at my house with a spinach salad  and a good Sauvignon Blanc

No Crust Zucchini Tart

4 cups (960mL) zucchini, grated
 1/4 (60mL) cup butter
 Â½  cup (120mL) sliced fresh mushrooms
 1 cup (240mL) onion, coarsely chopped
 1/4 cup (60mL) parsley, chopped
 1 Tbsp. (15mL) Mrs. Dash® Classic Italiano Seasoning Blend (or any blend of Italian herbs you choose)
 3 eggs, beaten
 1 cup (120mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
 Â½ cup (120mL) whipping cream

Directions:
•Wash and trim zucchini, grate and place in colander and drain over sink for 1/2 hour.
•Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
•Add butter to a skillet and melt over medium heat.
•Add onion, parsley, zucchini and mushrooms,  saute until tender, about      12-15 minutes.
•Stir in Mrs. Dash® Classic Italiano, and cool mixture slightly.
•In a large bowl, beat eggs, add cheese and cream.
•Gently fold in zucchini mixture, spread evenly in 1quart casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
•Cook in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
•Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

If you like 1 cup of diced Chicken or Ham can be added to the recipe.

That sounds yum!! i think I may try that at some point!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2007, 08:43:02 pm »
I agree with Kelda, Dottie! It does sound really good. I love zucchini and I'll try your recipe sometime soon!  :D

Okay, now I realize this next recipe sounds VERY strange, but if you're brave enough to give it a try I guarantee you will like it!

Peanut Butter and Bacon

You will need:

1/4 cup of peanut butter
2 strips of crisp bacon, crumbled
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons of minced onion
2 slices of bread (white or wheat)

Combine all the ingredients and spread on a slice of bread. Top with the second slice. This recipe makes one sandwich.

You may thank me in advance!  ;)

'Cause you're really gonna like this!  :D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2007, 09:09:19 pm »
It sounds like something that Elvis would like!  :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2007, 09:59:04 pm »
It sounds like something that Elvis would like!  :P

Well, maybe Elvis was on to something Shasta! Try it! You'll like it!  :D

Remember Orange Julius - those great little eateries tucked inside shopping malls all across America? Remember those delicious orange drinks they used to serve? Well, get your blenders ready because now you can make your own Orange Juliuses!!  :D

Orange Julius

You will need:

1/3 cup of frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
5 or 6 ice cubes

Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Cover and blend until mixture is smooth (about 30 seconds). Serve immediately.

Kids LOVE these!  :D

Enjoy!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2007, 10:42:11 pm »
If there is one scent I associate with Indiana more than anything else, it would be the smell of fresh apple butter simmering over a fire. Even today, one can still smell the spicy cinnamon scent of apple butter in the air during the autumn months. My mother made apple butter all the time when I was a kid. She would start it in the morning and allow it to slowly simmer all day on her stove. My grandmother sometimes cooked hers in a big kettle outside over an open fire.

I'm not that patient. Here's an easy apple butter recipe for the 21st century, and you don't even need an open fire or a big stove; just a microwave oven!

Apple Butter

You  will need:

6 apples; cored and finely chopped
1/2 cup of apple cider
2 cups of brown sugar; firmly packed
One and a half teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves

Place apples and apple cider in a one and a half quart microwave proof bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 15 minutes. Carefully remove plastic wrap and stir in the remaining ingredients. Return to microwave and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes more, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

Serving suggestion: serve warm and pour over hot homemade biscuits.

Store unused apple butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

This recipe makes about 2 pints of apple butter.  :D

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2007, 01:15:21 am »
If there is one scent I associate with Indiana more than anything else, it would be the smell of fresh apple butter simmering over a fire. Even today, one can still smell the spicy cinnamon scent of apple butter in the air during the autumn months. My mother made apple butter all the time when I was a kid. She would start it in the morning and allow it to slowly simmer all day on her stove. My grandmother sometimes cooked hers in a big kettle outside over an open fire.

I'm not that patient. Here's an easy apple butter recipe for the 21st century, and you don't even need an open fire or a big stove; just a microwave oven!

Apple Butter

You  will need:

6 apples; cored and finely chopped
1/2 cup of apple cider
2 cups of brown sugar; firmly packed
One and a half teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves

Place apples and apple cider in a one and a half quart microwave proof bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 15 minutes. Carefully remove plastic wrap and stir in the remaining ingredients. Return to microwave and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes more, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

Serving suggestion: serve warm and pour over hot homemade biscuits.

Store unused apple butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

This recipe makes about 2 pints of apple butter.  :D

Oh this one brings back such memories for me David!  Every November my Mom would buy a bushel of Apples just to make Apple Butter. She made it in a big cast iron pot that belonged to her Mother before her.  My Grandma did it over an open fire too but Mom did it on the stove in the kitchen.  We use to wash and boil all the mason jars and the lids.  Then after the hot jars were filled with the hot apple butter put them in a water bath of boiling water  for 15 minutes to seal them.  I loved the popping noise of the vaccume forming and sucking the lid tight as they cooled on the counter top.  I just adore that time of year.  Teddy and I use to sit for HOURS and peel and core  apples.... but fresh homemade apple butter is the BEST  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2007, 02:29:24 am »
Those are the exact same memories I have Dottie! We always helped Mom with the apple butter. And like your Mom, my Mom also canned most of her apple butter. I have all of her Ball canning jars in my kitchen but I don't can nearly as much as she did. I plan on doing some canning this fall though.

Here's another yummy recipe!

Baked Broccoli

You will need:

2 packages of frozen broccoli
1- 5 ounce can of sliced water chestnuts
1 can of cream of celery soup
1- 3 ounce can of onion rings
1/2 can of water (if the soup calls for it)

Cook the broccoli and then drain it thoroughly. Alternate layers of broccoli, chestnuts and soup in a one and one half quart casserole dish. End with a topping of soup. Bake at 300 F for 30 minutes. Top with onion rings about 3 minutes before serving.

This recipe will serve about 8 people.  :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2007, 04:19:18 am »
see apple cider to me = alcohol - I'm assuming that is not the case!?!

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2007, 03:43:28 am »
see apple cider to me = alcohol - I'm assuming that is not the case!?!

You're half right Kelda  ;D  There is plain Cider (non-alcoholic) anb Hard Cider (alcoholic).  You would use plain cider for Apple Butter or if needs be you can even use just plain apple juice.  But the Cider makes it more tangy.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2007, 03:52:56 am »

I made this tonight for dinner and was thinking you all might enjoy it as well.  This recipe is one my husband loves and is a good, low-fat, and quick fish recipe.

Cod with Italian Crumb and Tomato Topping

recipe yield:4 servings

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 teaspoon olive oil
1  regular can of diced tomatos with Italian Seasonings
1  small can of sliced black olives
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 (5 ounce) fresh cod fillets  ( orange roughe, swordfish or any similar fish may be substituted)
1 egg white, lightly beaten

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

In a small shallow bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, cheese, cornmeal, oil, italian tomatos, sliced olives, garlic and pepper; set aside.

Coat the rack of a broiling pan with cooking spray. Place the cod on the rack, folding under any thin edges of the filets. Brush with the egg white, then spoon the crumb and tomato mixture evenly on top.

Bake in a preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and is opaque all the way through.

Serve with rice or coucous and a fresh green veg or salad. 

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2007, 03:46:25 pm »
OK--I'm going to the grocery store "after while" as we say here in AR!! And I am going to get the ingredients for David's Peanut Butter and Bacon Sandwich!  I like all the ingredients---just never had them all mixed together! I'll get back to ya'll later and give you the results of my taste test.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2007, 04:05:35 pm »
Let me know how you liked it Shasta! It's one of those strange and weird things. It sounds disgusting, but the way the various ingredients mix and mingle together tastes very good. I've heard people call this a gourmet peanut butter sandwich, and I've even seen it appear on menus in some of the finer restaurants. But I think they taste the best when made at home!   :D

Scott6373

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2007, 04:09:24 pm »
Pages from my Mama's cookbook?

Best used as lining for a bird cage...don't get me wrong, I love her dearly, but she was the mother of 4 boys (well ok, 3.5 boys and .5 girls), she worked full time and if she was late from work I would open the LaChoy can.  That pretty much covers it.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2007, 04:10:48 pm »
I made this tonight for dinner and was thinking you all might enjoy it as well.  This recipe is one my husband loves and is a good, low-fat, and quick fish recipe.

I don't like fish too much Dottie, but Cod doesn't have a strong fishy taste, so I don't mind having cod for dinner sometimes. It has a very mild flavor. One of the Methodist churches here in Speedway has a fish fry about every 3 months and they serve cod. Sometimes I will stop by and pick up a bag of them and bring them home. My roommate LOVES fish. Besides, the proceeds go to a very good cause; funding the church and some local charities. I always put tartar sauce, lettuce and tomato on my fish sandwiches.

I'll give your recipe a try sometime Dottie.  8)  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »
Pages from my Mama's cookbook?

Best used as lining for a bird cage...don't get me wrong, I love her dearly, but she was the mother of 4 boys (well ok, 3.5 boys and .5 girls), she worked full time and if she was late from work I would open the LaChoy can.  That pretty much covers it.

My Mom hated to cook. Well, this is what she always told me. The funny thing was she was ALWAYS cooking. So I don't think she hated it too much. I think she mostly hated all the clean up afterwards, so I always tried to help her with the pots and pans, etc.

Just before Mom died, she typed out all her recipes on to little 3x5 index cards and pasted them into several scrap books. So this is where I'm getting many of these recipes. She gave me the books because between me and my sister, I was the most likely to use them. Most of the recipes come from HER side of the family; Native American, African American and Creole. But I do have some recipes from Dad's side of the family too. I have several excellent Dutch recipes and I will post them some day. Erwtensoep (pea soup and pork), Pasteitje (meat pastry), Groentensoep (vegetable soup with little meatballs) and Stamppot van boerenkool met worst (potato and kale with sausage) are a few of my favorites!  :D

I even have a recipe for "Poffertjes" which is tiny puffed up pancakes topped with icing! Yummy!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2007, 05:30:58 pm »
Do you like bananas, cherries and pineapples? Have you ever just mixed them all up together, thrown in a few extra tasty ingredients and froze it?

This next recipe is REALLY good, especially during the summer when it's very hot and muggy outside!  :D

Frozen Banana Salad

You will need:

2 cups of sour cream
3/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
a few grains of salt (and I mean that literally!)
2 mashed bananas
1/3 cup of chopped nuts
8 chopped maraschino cherries
1 - 9 ounce  can of crushed pineapple, drained

Mix together the sour cream, sugar, lemon juice and salt. Next, stir in the nuts, cherries, pineapple and mashed bananas. Pour the mixture into muffin tins lined with fluted paper cups and then freeze. When frozen, remove the salad from their muffin tins, wrap and store in the freezer.

These really freeze hard and they taste much better when left out to thaw a bit.  :D

This recipe serves 12 people.  Enjoy!  :D

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2007, 10:59:58 pm »
I don't like fish too much Dottie, but Cod doesn't have a strong fishy taste, so I don't mind having cod for dinner sometimes. It has a very mild flavor. One of the Methodist churches here in Speedway has a fish fry about every 3 months and they serve cod. Sometimes I will stop by and pick up a bag of them and bring them home. My roommate LOVES fish. Besides, the proceeds go to a very good cause; funding the church and some local charities. I always put tartar sauce, lettuce and tomato on my fish sandwiches.

I'll give your recipe a try sometime Dottie.  8)  :D

I don't like "fishy" smelling or tasting things either David but I like this dish.  People wax rapshodic about Salmon these days and I just can't stand the stuff. I grew up on trout...YUK... :P Now I love shellfish, liike shrimp and scallops, and crab, and lobster and I adore calamari but none of that stuff tastes or smells "fishy"  ;D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2007, 11:13:49 pm »
Well, my peanut butter, onion, and bacon sandwich was ...... interesting!! I think I will try it again and like it better without the Worcestershire sauce.  ;D  How brave am I??  ::)  

L O L!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2007, 03:08:54 am »
Well, my peanut butter, onion, and bacon sandwich was ...... interesting!! I think I will try it again and like it better without the Worcestershire sauce.  ;D  How brave am I??  ::)  

L O L!!

very!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2007, 03:44:07 am »

L O L!!

But did you like it Shasta? I've seen those sandwiches on menus around here and some places are charging $8.00 for them! God, I'd rather just make my own. I love them. I'm only posting recipes on here of things I like.  :)

very!!!

And just what do you mean by "very", Kelda??!!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2007, 03:47:40 am »
I don't like "fishy" smelling or tasting things either David but I like this dish.  People wax rapshodic about Salmon these days and I just can't stand the stuff. I grew up on trout...YUK... :P Now I love shellfish, liike shrimp and scallops, and crab, and lobster and I adore calamari but none of that stuff tastes or smells "fishy"  ;D

I love shellfish too Dottie! I especially love scallops. I sometimes lightly bread them and then fry them in canola oil and garlic butter!

And I LOVE shrimp. Pan fried shrimp are also very good, and I also like them chilled.  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2007, 12:51:28 am »
But did you like it Shasta? I've seen those sandwiches on menus around here and some places are charging $8.00 for them! God, I'd rather just make my own. I love them. I'm only posting recipes on here of things I like.  :)

And just what do you mean by "very", Kelda??!!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  ;)

Well--ok, I admit it---I am not a very good "cook". That wasn't really cooking, but still. I think I put too much Worcestershire sauce in it. I didn't measure---just "eyeballed" it. I think I'd like it better with less sauce. Probably just need to just pay the $8.00.  :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2007, 03:30:50 am »
Heh, David, you know I'm only messin!