Our BetterMost Community > BetterMost People

Pages From My Mama's Cookbook

(1/16) > >>

David In Indy:
Do any of you have some recipes you would like to post and share with the rest of the community? Maybe we could post them in here! My mom passed down MANY recipes to me after she died. Some are traditional Lakota dishes, some are African American, and others are popular dishes served in the midwest and the south.

Maybe you all could post some of your favorite recipes too? I think it would be interesting and fun to exchange recipes with each other and try dishes from other parts of the world.

What do you think?

Okay!  :D

I'll go first!!!  :D

Hoosier Corn Bread

You will need:

2 cups of yellow corn meal
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup of sweet milk
1/4 cup of cooking oil or melted shortening

Combine corn meal, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add the sweet milk, egg and oil or shortening. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened but do not beat. Pour into a well greased 8 inch square baking pan dusted with corn meal. Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes or until done and a light golden brown.

This recipe makes about 16, 2 inch square pieces.

If you don't like sweet milk, you can use buttermilk instead. Simply decrease the baking powder to 2 teaspoons, and add 1 teaspoon of soda to the recipe.

Enjoy!!  :D

Ellemeno:
David, what is sweet milk?  What do you typically eat with this corn bread?

David In Indy:

--- Quote from: Ellemeno on July 19, 2007, 01:53:27 am ---David, what is sweet milk?  What do you typically eat with this corn bread?

--- End quote ---

It comes in a can, Clarissa. You should be able to find it in your grocery store. Look for Borden's "Eagle Brand". If you can't find it, you can always  substitute it with buttermilk. I like the sweet milk because it adds a sweet taste to the corn bread.  :D

mvansand76:
Great idea, David! You should also post the Key Lime pie recipe... and the fried chicken?  :P :P

David In Indy:

--- Quote from: Ellemeno on July 19, 2007, 01:53:27 am ---David, what is sweet milk?  What do you typically eat with this corn bread?

--- End quote ---

Oops! I missed part of your question Clarissa! Sorry about that!

Corn bread is good with just about anything, but I often make it when I'm serving pot roast, stew or casseroles. My room mate likes to put a couple of pieces in a bowl and pour syrup on them. I don't like it with syrup. I put butter on mine! But it's best served while it's still warm, otherwise it tends to taste a little dry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version