Author Topic: Pages From My Mama's Cookbook  (Read 28064 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Pages From My Mama's Cookbook
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »
Pages from my Mama's cookbook?

Best used as lining for a bird cage...don't get me wrong, I love her dearly, but she was the mother of 4 boys (well ok, 3.5 boys and .5 girls), she worked full time and if she was late from work I would open the LaChoy can.  That pretty much covers it.

My Mom hated to cook. Well, this is what she always told me. The funny thing was she was ALWAYS cooking. So I don't think she hated it too much. I think she mostly hated all the clean up afterwards, so I always tried to help her with the pots and pans, etc.

Just before Mom died, she typed out all her recipes on to little 3x5 index cards and pasted them into several scrap books. So this is where I'm getting many of these recipes. She gave me the books because between me and my sister, I was the most likely to use them. Most of the recipes come from HER side of the family; Native American, African American and Creole. But I do have some recipes from Dad's side of the family too. I have several excellent Dutch recipes and I will post them some day. Erwtensoep (pea soup and pork), Pasteitje (meat pastry), Groentensoep (vegetable soup with little meatballs) and Stamppot van boerenkool met worst (potato and kale with sausage) are a few of my favorites!  :D

I even have a recipe for "Poffertjes" which is tiny puffed up pancakes topped with icing! Yummy!  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2007, 05:30:58 pm »
Do you like bananas, cherries and pineapples? Have you ever just mixed them all up together, thrown in a few extra tasty ingredients and froze it?

This next recipe is REALLY good, especially during the summer when it's very hot and muggy outside!  :D

Frozen Banana Salad

You will need:

2 cups of sour cream
3/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
a few grains of salt (and I mean that literally!)
2 mashed bananas
1/3 cup of chopped nuts
8 chopped maraschino cherries
1 - 9 ounce  can of crushed pineapple, drained

Mix together the sour cream, sugar, lemon juice and salt. Next, stir in the nuts, cherries, pineapple and mashed bananas. Pour the mixture into muffin tins lined with fluted paper cups and then freeze. When frozen, remove the salad from their muffin tins, wrap and store in the freezer.

These really freeze hard and they taste much better when left out to thaw a bit.  :D

This recipe serves 12 people.  Enjoy!  :D

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2007, 10:59:58 pm »
I don't like fish too much Dottie, but Cod doesn't have a strong fishy taste, so I don't mind having cod for dinner sometimes. It has a very mild flavor. One of the Methodist churches here in Speedway has a fish fry about every 3 months and they serve cod. Sometimes I will stop by and pick up a bag of them and bring them home. My roommate LOVES fish. Besides, the proceeds go to a very good cause; funding the church and some local charities. I always put tartar sauce, lettuce and tomato on my fish sandwiches.

I'll give your recipe a try sometime Dottie.  8)  :D

I don't like "fishy" smelling or tasting things either David but I like this dish.  People wax rapshodic about Salmon these days and I just can't stand the stuff. I grew up on trout...YUK... :P Now I love shellfish, liike shrimp and scallops, and crab, and lobster and I adore calamari but none of that stuff tastes or smells "fishy"  ;D
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2007, 11:13:49 pm »
Well, my peanut butter, onion, and bacon sandwich was ...... interesting!! I think I will try it again and like it better without the Worcestershire sauce.  ;D  How brave am I??  ::)  

L O L!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2007, 03:08:54 am »
Well, my peanut butter, onion, and bacon sandwich was ...... interesting!! I think I will try it again and like it better without the Worcestershire sauce.  ;D  How brave am I??  ::)  

L O L!!

very!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2007, 03:44:07 am »

L O L!!

But did you like it Shasta? I've seen those sandwiches on menus around here and some places are charging $8.00 for them! God, I'd rather just make my own. I love them. I'm only posting recipes on here of things I like.  :)

very!!!

And just what do you mean by "very", Kelda??!!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2007, 03:47:40 am »
I don't like "fishy" smelling or tasting things either David but I like this dish.  People wax rapshodic about Salmon these days and I just can't stand the stuff. I grew up on trout...YUK... :P Now I love shellfish, liike shrimp and scallops, and crab, and lobster and I adore calamari but none of that stuff tastes or smells "fishy"  ;D

I love shellfish too Dottie! I especially love scallops. I sometimes lightly bread them and then fry them in canola oil and garlic butter!

And I LOVE shrimp. Pan fried shrimp are also very good, and I also like them chilled.  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2007, 12:51:28 am »
But did you like it Shasta? I've seen those sandwiches on menus around here and some places are charging $8.00 for them! God, I'd rather just make my own. I love them. I'm only posting recipes on here of things I like.  :)

And just what do you mean by "very", Kelda??!!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  ;)

Well--ok, I admit it---I am not a very good "cook". That wasn't really cooking, but still. I think I put too much Worcestershire sauce in it. I didn't measure---just "eyeballed" it. I think I'd like it better with less sauce. Probably just need to just pay the $8.00.  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2007, 03:30:50 am »
Heh, David, you know I'm only messin!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/