Our BetterMost Community > BetterMost People

Choosing your food consciously (know what you eat)

(1/3) > >>

Ellemeno:
Hi Everyone,

This was a suggested topic, and one that I've been working on for a while in my life, so thought I would pick it as my first thread to start. 

I will be back tomorrow to share a bit about where I'm at - just wanted to start a new thread in the new forum for now.  :)  Feel free to share your thoughts first, if you want.

mvansand76:
Hey Clarissa!  :D

Yeah, this is a subject close to my heart too! Ever since I decided to stop eating meat that wasn't free-range/organic, I've been reading more into this and I also read Fastfood Nation, which is a really scary book about the all-American fastfood meal. It confirmed me in my belief that I shouldn't be eating that at all. It's not just about the wellfare of animals, but also the people who work at those huge slaughterhouses and who aren't treated any differently than the animals slaughtered there.

:(

Mel

delalluvia:
I guess you'll let us know where this topic is supposed to go?

I'm an unrepentant omnivore.  Being one has been the success of our species and how nature made us to be.  I find myself in the best health of my life when I eat a lot of meat and vegetables, eggs and nuts and very little fruits/sweets and no bread products.  Much like our caveman ancestors probably ate.

mvansand76:
Well, this thread doesn't necessarily have to be about eating meat or not, it could also be about choosing food that is organic or free-range.

I, for one, like meat too, but I have trouble digesting it, so I hardly eat it and when I do I make sure to get it from a small butcher in town that sells organic and free-range meat, and not from the supermarket. I don't eat pork, but I love to mix in some chicken with my Indonesian Nasi when I do make it, so... It's hard to say that I am a vegeterian, but I hardly eat any meat. I eat a lot of eggs and make sure they are the best eggs you can buy for the wellfare of the chickens, so free-range chickens who are given organic food.

On the other hand, there is organic vegetables and fruit and I hardly ever buy them, I usually buy my fruits and veggies in the supermarket and don't check if it's organic or not. The problem is, they are hardly ever sold in Holland, otherwise I would probably eat it.

In our supermarket we have a special label that ensures you you are eating organic food.

But then again, how can you ever be sure?

delalluvia:

--- Quote from: Snavel del Snuit on July 22, 2007, 05:54:03 am ---Well, this thread doesn't necessarily have to be about eating meat or not, it could also be about choosing food that is organic or free-range.

I, for one, like meat too, but I have trouble digesting it, so I hardly eat it and when I do I make sure to get it from a small butcher in town that sells organic and free-range meat, and not from the supermarket. I don't eat pork, but I love to mix in some chicken with my Indonesian Nasi when I do make it, so... It's hard to say that I am a vegeterian, but I hardly eat any meat. I eat a lot of eggs and make sure they are the best eggs you can buy for the wellfare of the chickens, so free-range chickens who are given organic food.
--- End quote ---

I once went food shopping with my sister and she looked at all the free-range, uncaged, no antibiotic, vegetarian fed chicken products I was buying and said, "Isn't it worse?  To eat happy chickens?"   ;D

--- Quote ---On the other hand, there is organic vegetables and fruit and I hardly ever buy them, I usually buy my fruits and veggies in the supermarket and don't check if it's organic or not. The problem is, they are hardly ever sold in Holland, otherwise I would probably eat it.
--- End quote ---

I try to buy organic locally grown produce as a lot of vegetables and especially fruits out of season are imported from south of the border where the health/hygiene regulations are a little more lax than here.

--- Quote ---In our supermarket we have a special label that ensures you you are eating organic food.

But then again, how can you ever be sure?
--- End quote ---

You can't be unless you buy direct.  You just have to take your chances.   >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version