Author Topic: Discrimination  (Read 18357 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Discrimination
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 11:55:22 am »
words such as "Prairie N*gger" and "Injun". Terrible words! Like I said, discrimination hurts. 
I can't believe that!!
I guess being in the south there aren't many Native Americans in my area.
I have always been proud of my native American Heritage! My Granny always said thats where I got my coloring from was from that bloodline. It's my understanding (I may have posted this before so sorry if I'm repeating) that my grat grandmothers Grandmother was a Blackfoot Indian from Montanna. We've tried to document it but there just are no records that we can get our hands on and not many left who even know the names of the generations past. It's sad really. I have seen pictures of My great Great grandmother and you can see the native American features she has. She was a beautiful dark skinned woman with long black hair put up in a big victorian bun.
She kinda looked out of place wearing that high collared victorian dress.
Anyway, I think even if we were all black or all white, people would still find somthing to discriminate each other for.
I think that is just a sad part of human nature.
I hate hearing your story though David. That just breaks my heart. People can be downright evil sometimes!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 12:45:56 pm »
In Virginia we have Indians, remants of large populations who carry on the identity of their ancestors, The Pamunkey and The Mattaponi live on reservations near Richmond and still pay their yearly taxes to the Govenor in the form of game, as per the treaty of Middle Plantation , 29 May 1646.

There are also the Rappahannock, Nandsmond, Chicahominy, Eastern Chicahominy and Upper Mattaponi, they were all memners of Powhatan's Confederation. Additionally there is the Monacans, near Lynchburg. They are all recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia but not the federal government.

In the early 20th century white folks often would not want it known they had natives in their background. Natives had also bended with Africans and that added to the taint of being anythingless than 100% white. Those with native features would often claim to be descendants of Pocahontas, since she was so famous it sort of made it okay. That is what my family did, and in the process lost all memory of who they were, like Lees, it is not documented.

And there was Plecker, heard of the vital statistics bureau for 60 some years who refused to allow any birth or death certificate to list a person as an Indian, circulating lists of surnames to local registrars of family to be designated as "Colored". the SOB was run down by a truck crossing the street in Richmond in 1957. Today the vital statistic bureau will reissue those certificates corrected to read "Native American". 

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 01:09:07 pm »
Let's talk international a bit.  Did you hear the President of Iran say today that "In Iran we don't have homosexuals like you do here in the US...."  words to that effect...that 's not an exact quote.   Well, did you also know that in South Korea, "There are no gays." ???  Yes, that's what many will tell you here and even though the younger people are starting to change, discrimination still runs deep.  One famous TV actor who came out some years ago was fired and never heard from again.  Don't know what happened to him, but you can be sure he 's not working as an actor here anymore. 

I have to be careful too.  I am not out on the job, I can't be. I could lose my job.  Oh, they say they have a free country, a democratic country, but there's discrimination everywhere and not just against gay and lesbian people.  There are many forms of it in society. 

But homosexuals are a big joke.  Men can dress up in women clothes for a laugh on TV, but real gay men or lesbians have a very tough time here.  Please remember this when you think of me and send up a prayer to heaven for us all. 

People in the USA have it so much better, remember that too, and count your blessings. 

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 01:38:47 pm »
I can't believe they even let that so called president of Iran in the country. I think it's an insult. I had to turn the channel last evening because I could not listen to his rhetoric another second.

I actually think every day how lucky I am to have been born in the U.S. Life is far from perfect but I have a roof over my head, food and clean water to drink. Things many people in this world do not have. I also have a profession where I will always be employed.

Regarding discrimination I want to mention how important it is to never be a bystander. I always speak up when I hear someone saying a racial or gay slur which has happened at work several times. I have heard the "n" word twice. I was appalled and told one co-worker "I don't ever want to hear that word coming out of your mouth again!"

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 05:24:59 pm »
Hello people,
It is interesting to note that, so far, in the 'Pet Peeves' Poll, the highest votes are for things people do that annoy.
There are no votes against people who are fat, thin, tall, short or immigrants.
It's nice to know that Bettermost folk do not discriminate on appearance.  :)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 05:28:31 am »

I can't believe they even let that so called president of Iran in the country. I think it's an insult. I had to turn the channel last evening because I could not listen to his rhetoric another second.

I disagree and here's why: 

I submit that it's a good thing that he's allowed to come to the US.  Maybe he will learn something about us, about freedom, about the goodness of the people.  Peace and better relations cannot never be created without dialogue. Communication with people you don't like is sometimes needed to improve relations for everyone.   And we can learn something about Iran from him, you know.  If it's only "how not to be" , that's something, but there is a lot about Iran and the people there that Americans could benefit from.  The act of inviting him to the US was the best example and display of how a free and open society works.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 09:04:47 am »
I couldn't believe it when he said there were no homosexuals in Iran.

The audience openly laughed in his face for making that ludicrous observation. He deserves to be laughed at for making such a fallaciously vacuous remark.

They execute gays in Iran. Only recently, two young teenage lovers were executed together, in the open marketplace. And for what reason? Because they loved each other, that's why. It breaks my heart.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 09:13:14 am »
I couldn't believe it when he said there were no homosexuals in Iran.

The audience openly laughed in his face for making that ludicrous observation. He deserves to be laughed at for making such a fallaciously vacuous remark.

They execute gays in Iran. Only recently, two young teenage lovers were executed together, in the open marketplace. And for what reason? Because they loved each other, that's why. It breaks my heart.
Thats why there are no homosexuals in Iran. He kills them.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 09:27:48 am »

If Jack and Ennis lived in Iran, he would have them executed. It makes me so sad. I'm finding it very difficult to be erudite, intellectual and philosophical in the face of this monstrous evil. Forgive me.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline opinionista

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 10:04:48 am »

And others simply flew the country. There's an arab restaurant near my building ran by a couple of gay Iranians. They became Spanish citizens and are now legally married. Im not sure if they practice islam.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.