Author Topic: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!  (Read 59209 times)

rtprod

Re: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006, 02:57:59 pm »
I go to the movies maybe ten times a year. (Actually, I don't think I went to see a single movie in the theater during 2004... small child + no babysitter + not really excited about any of the movies = stay home and rent something.) And I have disliked Tom Cruise since the 80's. (Enough so that my husband had to trick me into watching Collateral with him. And it wasn't bad. But Tom Cruise is still really annoying.)

So given those kinds of criteria, is MI3 (or anything else released so far this year) worth seeing?

After the Oscars, I swore that I would only go to movies that my friends raved about. So is this a huge rave, or is it a "well, 2006 hasn't been very good so far, but this is good for 2006" rave?

I hear ya, movies today just don't add up to much and the situation, on the whole, is getting progressively worse if you don't live in a major metro area and have access to independent and foreign cinema from around the world.  If you do, there is alway something worthwhile and worth time and money.  

The best thing I can say about MI3 is that if you like a good action film that is expert on nearly every level, moves like lightning and makes you laugh a bit, thrill at its sequences (they are truly off the charts spectacular) and then feel a touch of emotion for its husband and wife in peril (cruise and michelle monaghan), you'll dig this.  

I'm not saying it's BBM, but honestly, it's a superior example of exactly what the genre should be, and almost never is.  And it has a heart as well.  What more do you want?

Besides, if not Cruise, then who for the role -- to my eye, all of the other big action stars are either too "long in the tooth" or have imploded, Vin Diesel style (not that there's anything wrong with him, he got a pretty raw deal and is re-making his career).  

rt

rtprod

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »
the train sequence was in part 1 wasn't it? part 2 climatic end happens in Australia. but yeah, I liked neither films and I'm cautious about seeing the 3rd. i might catch a matinee if i'm especially bored between projects.

If you approach it with low expectations you will be blown away. 

Yeah, the train sequence was in part 1.  The hilarious Thandie Newton-falls-out-of-the-convertible-over-a-cliff sequence was in part 2.  LOL. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:14:59 pm by rtprod »

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2006, 03:07:40 pm »
If you approach it with low expectations you will be blown away. 

Yeah, the train sequence was in part 1.  The hilarious Thandie Newton falls out of the convertible over a cliff sequence was in part 2.  LOL. 

rt

I have to say, I kinda liked Thandie in the first half of that movie. I had seen her in The Beloved but didn't really connect with her much. In MI:II I hated that she started out a really strong character and devolved into a passive victim who waited for heroic Cruise to save her. I just thought the woman she started out as would have been more pro-active to the end.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

rtprod

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 03:09:58 pm »
I have to say, I kinda liked Thandie in the first half of that movie. I had seen her in The Beloved but didn't really connect with her much. In MI:II I hated that she started out a really strong character and devolved into a passive victim who waited for heroic Cruise to save her. I just thought the woman she started out as would have been more pro-active to the end.

Wait until you see what happens with Michelle Monaghan in the climax of MI3 when a gun is put into her (nurse) hands for the first time.  She nails the scene and it's pretty damn cool.  She has a certain feral quality not unlike the terror Jodie Foster's Clarice Starling felt in Buffalo Bill's lair when she's holding the gun in the climax of that classic. 

rt

rtprod

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 03:13:51 pm »
OH, and I love Thandie Newton immensely in about everything she's ever done.  Sweet girl in person too.  Ever see her in Bertolucci's Besieged? 

rt

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 03:17:16 pm »
OH, and I love Thandie Newton immensely in about everything she's ever done.  Sweet girl in person too.  Ever see her in Bertolucci's Besieged? 

rt

I agree....Thandie was the only reason I could watch Crash....she made that movie IMO!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 03:19:14 pm »
I'll be seeing MI:3 on Friday night...

rtprod

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2006, 03:26:39 pm »
While I'm at it, I'll drive another nail in my coffin...   ;D

I don't want to open up a can of worms here and hopefully this won't, but looking back now I feel sorry that what happened to Crash actually did.  Lion's Gate may have bought their Oscar, but that film, about a year ago, seemed like a much better and pure experience.  Sure, it has its share of heavy-handedness, no clear protaganist, peddles a theme and at times can seem contrived, but there's passion in there too. And good acting.  And some pretty moving scenes.  Unfortunately, the film is now considered an unworthy stinkbomb because of the political maneuvering of its own studio, and that doesn't seem right to me since it does reach for something profound and great, even if it doesn't always reach it.

I'm still hurt by our loss at the Oscars and that scarred me and most of us, and no, I'm not being melodramatic.  I'm sure everyone knows where I'm coming from. And that really hurt, for implications that had little to do with a film (though BBM was the best quality film of the five and deserved to win on merit and not politics). But the assertion that Crash is "trash" just doesn't hold up for me.  If the film had not been in contention for the Oscar and subsequently rode its way to the podium, it would not have been savaged as such through our lens of emotional upheaval, in my mind.  

I too, during Oscar time, was colored by this and spoke candidly about my waning support for Crash because to me as to all of us, the idea of BBM losing was a personal attack, an affront to who I am and seemed like an unthinkable possibility (it was both of these things).  And we all know that it was indeed the Best Picture beyond our own passion for it. 

I think I'm ready to look at Crash again now than the dust as settled, and see it for what it is -- a good film with some big ideas that unfortunately got caught in a crossfire it probably didn't deserve.  

rt

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:35:01 pm by rtprod »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2006, 03:38:49 pm »
While I'm at it, I'll drive another nail in me coffin...   ;D

I don't want to open up a can of worms here and hopefully this won't, but looking back now I feel sorry that what happened to Crash actually did.  Lion's Gate may have bought their Oscar, but that film, about a year ago, seemed like a much better and pure experience.  Sure, it has its share of heavy-handedness, no clear protaganist, peddles a theme and at times can seem contrived, but there's passion in there too. And good acting.  And some pretty moving scenes.  Unfortunately, the film is now considered an unworthy stinkbomb because of the political maneuvering of its own studio, and that doesn't seem right to me since it does reach for something profound and great, even if it doesn't always reach it.

I'm still hurt by our loss at the Oscars and that scarred me and most of us, and no, I'm not being melodramatic.  I'm sure everyone knows where I'm coming from. And that really hurt, for implications that had little to do with a film (though BBM was the best quality film of the five and deserved to win on merit and not politics).  

But the assertion that Crash is "trash" just doesn't hold up for me.  If the film had not been in contention for the Oscar and rode its way to the podium, it would not have been savaged as such through our lens of emotional upheaval, in my mind.  

I too, during Oscar time, was colored by this and spoke candidly about my waning support for Crash because to me as to all of us, the idea of BBM losing was a personal attack, an affront to who I was and seemed like an unthinkable possibility.  And we all know that it was indeed the Best Picture beyond our own passion for it. 

I think I'm ready to look at Crash again now than the dust as settled, and see it for what it is -- a good film with some big ideas that unfortunately got caught in a crossfire it probably didn't deserve.  

rt

I agree....I felt Crash was a good film....decent performances particularly by Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton.  And the story was pretty solid....but I also felt it was mediocre.....nothing special but thats JMO.  Not at all worthy of Best Picture IMO.  More worthy then say Capote but fails in comparison to BBM or even Good Night, and Good Luck....again this is just my opinion....

I also felt that the story had been told many times before....unlike BBM or GN&GL...

I own both the regular and Directors Cut of Crash and have watched it several times.....but IMO the Academy took the easy road in awarding Crash....and in terms of the Academy's Best Picture selections in the past 78 years....it ranks among the worst....JMO

rtprod

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 03:40:31 pm »
So if I live in a small town where movies aren't going to play for long, I've got a potential babysitter available, and my choices are MI3, United 93, Thank You for Smoking*, or staying home and watching a DVD (maybe Capote, which I didn't get to see while it was in theaters), which would you suggest?

(It's nice to have a professional movie watcher available for advice!  )

(* I live in a small college town that usually shows one or two limited release/artier films at any given time. BBM played here for two whole months starting in early January... but that was unusual for any movie. It did really well here.)

Well thanks for asking my advice, how nice.  You are in for three very different experiences with that line-up and that is all about what you are up for--you can't miss with any of them. 

One will blow you away, one will scare the hell out of you and make you think, and the other will make you laugh and think.  Allll gooood.

rt