Author Topic: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!  (Read 58828 times)

rtprod

Re: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2006, 05:01:02 pm »
She hates the fact that a few people are going to be profitting from a lot of people's pain and loss, even if part of the profits go to the victims.

Well, I can understand this and others have echoed similar things, and I'm certainly not trying to be insensitive to anyone.  But the film, again, is a tasteful, very well made thing, with respect for those involved with September 11.  

Most criticism, protests and objections to things--BBM notwithstanding--all stem from some sort of misunderstood idea of what the art is trying to do or say, and not actually with what is in the piece itself.  

rt

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2006, 05:01:23 pm »
Yeah Mandy, Phoebe's in it ;) lol

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2006, 05:08:16 pm »
Yeah Mandy, Phoebe's in it ;) lol

You bet.  :-*

BTW, Moussaoui was sentenced to life in prison today. Forgive my ignorance, I know he was involved somehow in 9/11, but who is he exactly and what did he do? (Sorry for swaying so off-topic as well)  :-\

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2006, 05:10:48 pm »
He was supposed to be one of the terrorists on the airplanes. He was involved in the planning.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2006, 05:15:57 pm »
Thanks sparkle. Sorry about that, y'all.

So back to the topic, yeah I don't hate Tom Cruise and I'll definitely see MI3

rtprod

« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2006, 05:20:20 pm »
Mandy, check your PM babe.

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2006, 05:21:52 pm »
I did. Check yours too  ;)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2006, 05:22:20 pm »
Haha, Cute.
I can't stand Mel Gibson either, by the way. Enough to boycott any of his new movies.
Same here.  His personality, his conservatism, bleh.  But at some point I get tired of some of the overpaid, superstar actors who build a career out of playing themselves or at least the same persona over and over (to me Tom Cruise applies here).  (I hope neither Heath Ledger nor Jake Gyllenhaal ever get to be that big.)

Julia Roberts is in the same category, although I did love Closer.  I agree with what someone wrote about the dialogue being brillant, yet I didn't find it believable.  I loved the theatricality of it, the raw conversations that could happen but rarely do between lovers.  But give me some Clive Owens on a stick anyday!  I saw Inside Man the other night and really enjoyed it, especially Jodie Foster.

Juan

What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2006, 05:25:15 pm »
(I hope neither Heath Ledger nor Jake Gyllenhaal ever get to be that big.)

I expect them to get big but I don't think they'll ever have a problem with being typecast or anything......

But I do think that Jake in particular is the next big thing.....IMO

rtprod

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2006, 05:31:49 pm »
Juan, let's backtrack for a second though because Cruise, and let me say I'm as nauseated with his persona and bizarre, increasingly weird habits, really plays an action hero with a degree of sweat, blood and tears that most don't.  He's very focused, takes it very seriously and is never off his game. 

And also, he played an outrageous, moving character in Magnolia not too long ago, completely against type.  I wish he'd do more ensemble work like that, rather than films built around his image. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 05:47:03 pm by rtprod »