Author Topic: Animals In Our Lives  (Read 1009223 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Animals In Our Lives
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2007, 05:29:12 pm »
Just wanted to share this...  in case there are any feral cat lovers out there...

Thoughts of a Feral

I sit beneath the bushes as she fills my dish each day,
I only venture out to eat when she has gone away,
I know it will upset her when I turn away and hide,
As every day she tries her best to get me by her side.
I wish that I could let her know that I don't want to run,
And hope that she will understand it's nothing that SHE'S done.
I'd like to have her stroke me and pat my weary head,
But fear will overcome and I'll run and hide instead.
For all the kindly people who feed the strays each day,
I pray the Lord will care for them as they have cared for me.

-Annette Easdon

“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2007, 11:15:43 pm »
I was shocked and appalled when I saw this little video clip. I posted it on my blog, but because we love our animals, I felt it needed to be posted here as well.

*cold chill*

For those of us with cats and pull cords on our ceiling fans, it might do us well if we trimmed the cords (or removed them altogether), otherwise something like this might happen....

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFtU_xta5qg[/youtube]

:'( :'( :'(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2007, 12:55:51 am »
I just about died laughing when I saw this!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My cat Oreo does the exact same thing. But he only does it in the upstairs bathroom for some reason. I don't know who taught him how to flush.  ???

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Zc-jsKppE[/youtube]

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2007, 09:45:19 pm »
I have seen that video with the cat and the ceiling fan quite a while ago and was also appalled.  There is something wrong with someone passing this around as a funny video.  There is nothing funny about it.  I have also seen the cat flushing the toilet video.  Now that is funny!   I have two 12 year old cats and neither one of them has ever shown the least bit of interest in toilets being flushed.  Curious creatures, cats are. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2007, 10:06:30 pm »
Susie, that video is really CUTE!! "I love mama!!" Awww! It sounded like he was really saying it too!! Cute!!!

I have seen that video with the cat and the ceiling fan quite a while ago and was also appalled.  There is something wrong with someone passing this around as a funny video.  There is nothing funny about it.  I have also seen the cat flushing the toilet video.  Now that is funny!   I have two 12 year old cats and neither one of them has ever shown the least bit of interest in toilets being flushed.  Curious creatures, cats are. 

Hi Dobie!!

I posted that video as a warning to cat owners out there to be careful. Cats are very curious animals, and they would likey take a swipe at a swinging pull cord hangning from a ceiling fan, with results we just saw in that video. Animals are like little children, and we can't be too careful, can we?

Yes, that video is shocking, disturbing and sad. It's even sadder that some people find humor in it. NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT IT! If that fan had released the cat just 1/100 of a second later, the cat would have gone through the living room window! I've been wondering if the cat is okay after hitting the wall as hard as he did. Or if his arm was jerked out of its socket as it was being hurled around violently by the fan? Poor cat!  :'(

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2007, 03:56:00 am »
David - given that its an actual advert for Nokia I would safely assume its fake - they would have been totally critisised if it had been real.

Not that a cat coudn't catch the cord and get hurled - but hopefully the cord would break before the cat could get up much momentum. Hopefully!? ???
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2007, 11:40:59 pm »
Here's my big, beautiful, sweetie (Scout)--not all that excited to have her picture made. She might like it better if I'd offer some hamburger in exchange for a happy face.  ;D

To put things in perspective--her tongue is about the size of the Yorkie.
 :P

And, hey---she can talk!
She says -- roof and wolf and mmmmm. LOL. But she does sit and shake hands and speak and come and heel and --- well, she "sort of" stays!!   :)  She takes all kinds of other directions, too. Such a good girl.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2007, 12:59:08 am »
Here's my big, beautiful, sweetie (Scout)--not all that excited to have her picture made. She might like it better if I'd offer some hamburger in exchange for a happy face.  ;D

To put things in perspective--her tongue is about the size of the Yorkie.
 :P

And, hey---she can talk!
She says -- roof and wolf and mmmmm. LOL. But she does sit and shake hands and speak and come and heel and --- well, she "sort of" stays!!   :)  She takes all kinds of other directions, too. Such a good girl.

Awww! She's beautiful Shasta!! What a CUTE dog! Look at her face! She looks so happy!  :D

I can tell she has a very good home with lots of love and cuddles!

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2007, 08:32:51 pm »
What a beautiful girl you have, Shasta!  She looks like she just got back from a long walk or run, or maybe a ball chasing session?  She has beautiful coat and teeth and looks like a very happy girl! 

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2007, 08:55:13 pm »

Thank you, David, Susie, and Dobie. She and I are very close. We've been through a lot together, and I love her immensely. I raised her and my little Yorkie together from 7 weeks old--the Yorkie is 2 months older tho. Scout knows what I tell her. I never really trained her so much, she has just always done what I ask her.

She has always loved to play with her basketball, football, and tennis ball, but has slowed down a little, Dobie. I am thinking that she needs arthritis therapy somehow. She takes a supplement for her joints.

Anyway, good news. One of my little rescue dogs was placed this week. I took her to meet a family (whom I've known for years) with 2 happy playful boys. They have bought her a new pink collar and a bed that is shaped like a couch. The older boy is taking her for "show and tell" next week. She will love that--very happy around kids.

She lives in the house and the boys fight over who is going to feed her. I am thrilled that she has her own special family. I took good care of her, but I am not at home enough to give adequate attention to such an energetic pooch---this family has a stay-at-home mom who lets her sit on the couch with her and rubs her belly -- at her beck and call!! YAY!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~