Author Topic: Animals In Our Lives  (Read 1009087 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Animals In Our Lives
« Reply #150 on: September 29, 2007, 01:11:26 am »
LOL This is a little OT, but look what I just found.....

This isn't really a children's book is it?  ???

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2007, 01:25:12 am »
MY GOD!!! It's for real!  :laugh:

>:( >:(

I found those pictures on Photobucket and I thought maybe it was a joke, but it isn't a joke. Here's a couple of reviews from Amazon.com about Walter The Farting Dog....

Amazon.com
We hold this truth to be self-evident: farting makes kids laugh. Walter, an apologetic-looking dog adopted from the pound, passes gas morning, noon, and night, no matter what he eats, whether it's a 25-pound bag of low-fart dog biscuits, cat food, or fried chicken. On the bright side, "If Uncle Irv let one slip, he just went and stood near Walter." When Father reaches the limit of his patience with Walter's flatulence, he decides the pooch is once again pound-bound, despite Betty and Billy's pleading. Poor Walter knows his days are numbered and "He resolved to hold in his farts forever." That very night, two burglars break into Walter's family's house, and (you can see where this is going) Walter gasses the burglars with a "hideous cloud" that forces them to drop their loot and run into the clutches of the police officers, "choking and gasping for air." The next morning Father and Mother discover Walter has saved the day--or at least their silverware and VCR. "And so the family learned to live with Walter, the hero dog. And that is the end of our tail." (Or is it? Fans will be pleased to discover the next book Walter the Farting Dog: Trouble at the Yard Sale.) Audrey Colman's highly stylized illustrations, imbued with a surreal, Monty Pythonesque collage look, are as absurdly comical as this silly story that is purely powered by natural gas. (Ages 5 to 8) --Karin Snelson

From Publishers Weekly
Here's a companion to Taro Gomi's Everyone Poops, albeit with less educational value. Walter, a fat gray dog with an apologetic look on his face, comes home from the pound with two children. He has incurable gas, and his family decides to take him back. The night before he is to go, Walter sadly devours "the 25-pound bag of low-fart dog biscuits the vet had prescribed for him, which had made him fart more.... A gigantic gas bubble began to build inside him." Wouldn't you know, two burglars break in, and Walter's liability becomes his asset. Predictable stuff, but Kotzwinkle (Trouble in Bugland) and education writer Murray know their audience. Their simple strategy just keep saying "fart" should have children rolling in the aisles during read-aloud. Newcomer Colman likewise fixates on one visual gag, Walter with steam blasting out his backside. Unlike Babette Cole, whose Dr. Dog takes a mock-scientific approach to digestion, Colman specializes in reaction shots; in her surreal collages of photos and patterns, people hold their noses and a cat glances at the culprit. Yes, this lowbrow endeavor could be a crowd-pleaser but, like its topic, its disruptive effects will tend to linger. Ages 4-8.

Apparently there's even a third book called "Walter The Farting Dog Takes A Cruise".

Have any of you read these Farting Dog books?  :-\

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2007, 07:42:33 am »
Shasta, I am sooooo sorry to hear about Ripley!  :'(  :'(

Maybe in a few months, after you have had a little time to grieve, you could bring another kitten into your life. You may not feel like it now, but perhaps in a few months it will seem like a good idea to you. And there are so many homeless animals at the shelter looking for a good home and a loving owner.  :)
Ah Shasta honey, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news.  She was a beautiful moggy, I expect she's leaping around in moggy heaven right now chasing the birds!!!

Love Susie  :)
Oh Shasta,  :'(

I'm so sorry to hear that.  :-* :-* :-*

Thanks, ya'll. I know you guys understand because you are animal lovers too. I notified my ex about Ripley because we had her before we divorced. When he wrote me back, he told me that she was 17, not 16.  Well, I knew I was close. Bless her heart--she was a dandy little calico. The dogs are like---where is our BOSS??
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2007, 09:31:47 am »
Yes, animals go through grief just as much as humans. How are you today?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2007, 09:47:39 am »
Yes, animals go through grief just as much as humans. How are you today?

I'm doing well. Thanks Kelda. Some time this weekend I will gather up Ripley's bowls things and put them away. I will not get another cat for awhile. I'm not at home enough to give a baby enough attention right now. Maybe I will get one come summertime, tho. I won't get one--I will get two. I've tried to have 2 together so each will have a companion. Ripley's companion was Dixie who died a few years ago--she was about 15. Anyway. If I get one kitten--I'll get two. Baby kittens are so much fun to watch.  ;)

Did ya'll know at one time when I was a kid on the farm (and my grandfolks never had the cats fixed or let any animals in the house) I had 3 cats and 14 kittens---all named and all fed and played with in the corn crib of the barn. And I never got ring worms or catscratch fever or any allergies that some kids get from animals. 17 cats---that's too many. I get mine spayed/neutered now.

Kelda--I've been on your blog looking at all the Crete pictures. How beautiful---they are going to make everyone want to go visit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2007, 10:45:09 am »
Yeah - it was definitely a good move for me to get 2 kitties - they amuse each other. I would always buy kittens in 2's from now on.

Glad you are doing okay.

yes - I have got some good pics from Crete even if I do say so myself - thankyou!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2007, 03:33:34 pm »
Nicki in her cousin's pool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2007, 11:02:52 am »
Nicki in her cousin's pool.

OMG Shasta! Too cute!!!!

ell a little minature jack Ruseel puppy will be a new member of the family tomorrow.

My sister is gettng a little puppy. My 3 nieces are very excited. Its going to be called Bracken. They saw it on Friday and will be collecting tomorrow.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Living with felines
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2007, 11:23:33 am »
I have three cats.  One is your typical domesticated house cat - her name is Pepper.  The other two are semi-feral cats that I took to feeding at a place I lived many years ago.  When it was time for me to move, I trapped them and brought them indoors.  (It was that or leave them to their fate - which to me, felt like abandonment.)  So they live inside with us and pretty much mind their own business.  I am not good at enforcing rules.  The cats pretty much go wherever they please.  I do try to wave them out of the way if I am cooking or working on the computer...

The semi-feral ones are buddies.  Pepper doesn't have a feline buddy (her buddy died about two years ago).  I also have two dogs; they also go pretty much wherever they please.  As a result, the cats are fed at elevated locales.  The semi-ferals eat together on top of a chest of drawers near the back door.  Pepper typically eats on top of the refrigerator.  Over the past few days, I noticed Pepper was failing to clean her bowl by the next feeding time.  As you may imagine, I started to become quite anxious about why she wasn't eating.  She certainly seemed fine otherwise.  I contemplated whether to take her in for bloodwork - this would be a big ordeal, as she hates car rides and vomits both on the trip in and on the way home.  Should I try to have someone come out to the house instead?  In the meantime, I contemplated buying a different kind of food, and started cleaning her bowl a bit more rigorously.  She always seemed eager to eat when I first put out the food, but just wasn't finishing like normal.  I also moved her food bowl to a table.  (I was suspicious there may have been cat-cat or cat-dog scuffles near the refrigerator.)  The good news is she eating great with the change in locale!  The bad news is she vomited a gi-normous hairball this morning, then proceeded to have diarrhea all over the house.  Fun for me.  Hopefully now that all systems have had a clearing she will go back to normal and I can quit worrying!

Sigh.

;)

Pepper

Max
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Living with felines
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2007, 03:50:15 pm »
I have three cats.  One is your typical domesticated house cat - her name is Pepper.  The other two are semi-feral cats that I took to feeding at a place I lived many years ago.  When it was time for me to move, I trapped them and brought them indoors.  (It was that or leave them to their fate - which to me, felt like abandonment.)  So they live inside with us and pretty much mind their own business.  I am not good at enforcing rules.  The cats pretty much go wherever they please.  I do try to wave them out of the way if I am cooking or working on the computer...

The semi-feral ones are buddies.  Pepper doesn't have a feline buddy (her buddy died about two years ago).  I also have two dogs; they also go pretty much wherever they please.  As a result, the cats are fed at elevated locales.  The semi-ferals eat together on top of a chest of drawers near the back door.  Pepper typically eats on top of the refrigerator.  Over the past few days, I noticed Pepper was failing to clean her bowl by the next feeding time.  As you may imagine, I started to become quite anxious about why she wasn't eating.  She certainly seemed fine otherwise.  I contemplated whether to take her in for bloodwork - this would be a big ordeal, as she hates car rides and vomits both on the trip in and on the way home.  Should I try to have someone come out to the house instead?  In the meantime, I contemplated buying a different kind of food, and started cleaning her bowl a bit more rigorously.  She always seemed eager to eat when I first put out the food, but just wasn't finishing like normal.  I also moved her food bowl to a table.  (I was suspicious there may have been cat-cat or cat-dog scuffles near the refrigerator.)  The good news is she eating great with the change in locale!  The bad news is she vomited a gi-normous hairball this morning, then proceeded to have diarrhea all over the house.  Fun for me.  Hopefully now that all systems have had a clearing she will go back to normal and I can quit worrying!

Sigh.

;)

Pepper

Max

Pepper and max are cutes and look so alike! Good luck - hope pepper is okay now!