Author Topic: Broken in Two  (Read 103181 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Broken in Two
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2008, 03:20:27 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

I always did think that moose were more in Canada, and was surprised by you and my friend seeing moose at the Grands Tetons!!

Maybe a moose or two or more... were brought by the Canadiens-francais to there?

And why elk instead of moose in the BM movie?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2008, 03:23:11 pm »
Merci  oildfieldtrach!

Mayne Annie saw in Dubois a relative of hers who was gay in those 60's times, and so wrote about homosexuality ?

Au revoir,
hugs!  Did you find any relatives of Annie in Dubois?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2008, 01:45:16 am »

And why elk instead of moose in the BM movie?

I'm not sure, Artiste. But I know that elk crop up in several places in the movie and story. In Signal where Ennis lived there was an Elks Club sign prominently displayed on a building. I think it was like the laundry and the water, showing the wild and domesticated sides of the same idea. And at the lake, Ennis pleads with Jack to go along with Ennis's delays by promising to get Don Woe Wroe's cabin again so they could bag an elk the way they did on Brokeback that summer. But Jack knows they can never go back so he says, "I did once."

A moose is inherently kind of comical, and I can not see a moose without thinking of Bullwinkle. Maybe Ang Lee understood this from his college days in the U.S. There was a moose that met its end in the movie Into the Wild which I finally saw last night, and it had kind of a surrealistic look to it, kind of like the bean can with the spoon sticking out of it in lurid colors in Ennis' dream.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2009, 12:52:21 pm »
There are people in this world who are "defended", that is they are buttoned up as if to defend themselves from the cold wind and the elements. Then there are those who have been broken open and choose to remain that way, in order to let love and feelings flow. Heart-broken, or perhaps back-broken, to be open to dozy embraces. These are the fixers, and they are drawn to the standers like a moth to a flame.

retropian

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2009, 10:14:20 pm »
What a great thread! I'm so glad it's been resurrected. I love the idea's here! I posted this before, my own thought of "Broken in Two" means to me. This seems an appropriate idea to post here.

I know the term "Brokeback Mountain" is what's also known as a "Swayback Mountain", two peaks joined by a ridge which reminds one of a "swayback" horse. A horse whose spine sags between withers and rump. You can see it depicted on the movie poster under Heaths chin. I had always thought it symbolized Jack and Ennis, two peaks joined, but always to be separate. It occurred to me that what Annie P. might have meant by picking that term as the title is revealed in the last line of the short story: "There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it". What Ennis knew, and what he tried to believe are the peaks, joined, but always to separated by that "open space".

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2012, 01:08:58 pm »
another classic thread that deserves a bump

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »

A moose is inherently kind of comical, and I can not see a moose without thinking of Bullwinkle. Maybe Ang Lee understood this from his college days in the U.S. There was a moose that met its end in the movie Into the Wild which I finally saw last night, and it had kind of a surrealistic look to it, kind of like the bean can with the spoon sticking out of it in lurid colors in Ennis' dream

I always felt like, it was because of the proximity of the Elks in Wyoming, over the numbers of Moose.  Moose are more of a Canadian animal, especially on the western side of the US.  Few Moose over here.  Tons of Elk.

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2014, 10:33:01 am »
I glad that you enjoy that part of WY too. I took the long drive between Riverton and Dubois last year coming back from MT and I really loved the area east and west of the continental divide just west of Dubois. I also drove over to Jackson to visit some friends and loved the crashing rivers running down out of the Tetons. That area in particular reminds me of the part of Alberta Ang Lee filmed Brokeback in.

I looked on my physiographic map and I found the basin you are referring to, I did not get a chance to visit there last trip. I look forward to seeing the area. It seems sort of a no mans land, neither in the Atlantic basin or the Pacific basin, and it looks very dry. A water sump?

I was just reading about the "Parting of the Waters", a place in Wyoming where the Pacific Creek and the Atlantic Creek fork, one going east, the other west. Apparently a fish could actually swim from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean! http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-creek-divides-the-us-connecting-the-atlantic-and-p-1565867365?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2014, 08:57:59 pm »
Moose are more of a Canadian animal, especially on the western side of the US.  Few Moose over here.  Tons of Elk.

I've seen moose in the wild in northern Minnesota. But then, that practically is Canada.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2016, 10:17:43 am »
How can we forget that classic song written by Bob Dylan just after he had seen Brokeback Mountain?

Brokeback lines, brokeback strings,
Brokeback threads, brokeback springs,
Brokeback idols, brokeback heads,
People sleeping in brokeback beds.
Ain't no use jiving
Ain't no use joking
Everything is brokeback.

Brokeback bottles, brokeback plates,
Brokeback switches, brokeback gates,
Brokeback dishes, brokeback parts,
Streets are filled with brokeback hearts.
Brokeback words never meant to be spoken,
Everything is brokeback.

Bridge: Seem like every time you stop and turn around
Something else just hit the ground

Brokeback cutters, brokeback saws,
Brokeback buckles, brokeback laws,
Brokeback bodies, brokeback bones,
Brokeback voices on brokeback phones.
Take a deep breath, feel like you're chokin',
Everything is brokeback.

Bridge: Every time you leave and go off someplace
Things fall to pieces in my face