Author Topic: Broken in Two  (Read 103197 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Broken in Two
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2006, 01:41:34 pm »
BBM-Cat did you know that there's an actual Brokenback Mountain in north central Wyoming? EDelMar has visited there several times and has placed a cache with the book and other mementos of the movie. There are pictures at

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=5791.0

Another thing, Wyoming is a place that is broken in pieces, in a way. Each of the corners of the state is very different, but you're right they're all beautiful, but some would debate that. And scattered very very thinly over the state are the residents. Wyoming is the most sparsely populated state in the Union.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2006, 09:21:33 pm »
How fascinating - the complexity and parallels just keep getting deeper. Can't wait to visit the link - thank you so much!

BBM-Cat did you know that there's an actual Brokenback Mountain in north central Wyoming? EDelMar has visited there several times and has placed a cache with the book and other mementos of the movie. There are pictures at

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=5791.0

Another thing, Wyoming is a place that is broken in pieces, in a way. Each of the corners of the state is very different, but you're right they're all beautiful, but some would debate that. And scattered very very thinly over the state are the residents. Wyoming is the most sparsely populated state in the Union.

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

moremojo

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2006, 09:24:18 pm »
Another "broken" reference from the film that just occurred to me today:

Ennis, to Jack, at the scene of the lakeside quarrel:"You forget what it's like being broke all the time."

Edit:Sheepishly, rereading through the thread, I note that goadra already cited this line.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:29:38 pm by moremojo »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 08:12:06 pm »
While visiting the real Brokenback Mountain last month, I read why it was named that. It seems that a pioneer had to get under a wagon and fix it while traversing the mountain, and he hurt his back (altho he didn't break it).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 02:13:04 pm »
People, people. All this talk about us being done with talking about the movie and the story. We haven't even started! Here's an example, from the movie:

Ennis said, "That harmonica don't sound quite right either." and Jack replied, "That's 'cause it got kinda flattened when that mare
threw me."
Ennis: "Oh yeah? Thought you said that mare couldn't throw you.
JACK
Eh, she got lucky.
ENNIS
Yeah well, if I got lucky, that harmonica woulda
broke in two.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 02:39:28 pm »
In the story, Jack said "I ain't no broke-dick rider." I'm not sure but I think he was referring to penniless rodeo cowboys who just keep on because they're addicted to rodeoing. And at the end of the movie, Ennis said, "You forgot what it's like bein broke all the time." I wonder when the word broke came to be used to mean, out of money? It also seems to connote, used up, wasted, done. I think this is part of the mystique of the Brokeback Mountain name. The real Brokenback Mountain got its name during pioneer days when people were trying to reach Oregon by going over the Rocky Mountains. I read in a brochure that the mountain was named for a man who hurt his back while trying to repair a wagon with a broken axle. Two brokes in one!! There were other mountains and ranges with similar names, bestowed by pioneers who had to turn back in failure or who pressed on and barely made it, or who lost members of their party in the process.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2007, 04:21:22 pm »
When Ennis tells Jack he doesn't remember what it's like, "bein broke all the time," it's kind of a forshadowing of his own future, when he'll be broke(n-hearted) all the time.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2007, 06:49:06 pm »
A poster on IMDB pointed out that no vehicle in the film had matching, working pairs of lights*.  Not Ennis' truck, not Lureen's red car, et cetera.  He also pointed out that these period vehicles are kept in immaculate shape ― so this would have to have been deliberate.

Yet another visual symbol reiterating the theme of separation, mismatch and breakage.

*I'm not sure about the semi at the beginning; will have to check.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 06:33:58 pm »
Your lists are heartbreaking and so true, adiabatic!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 12:33:55 am »
With credit to moremojo, I copy this quote:

The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, many are strong at the broken places--Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)