Author Topic: Music News  (Read 220944 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Music News
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2007, 05:41:12 pm »
I had a very enjoyable evening watching and listending to Harry Connick Jr at Red Rocks Amphitheater with his band. He had a trombonist named Lucien Barbor who was just incredible! The sounds he created with his trombone were fantastical and only matched by his singing, dancing, facial expressions, and general clowning around and flirting with Harry! And Harry sounded to me much like Bonnie Raitt with a slightly deeper voice, which is a compliment to him. I had the greatest vantage point thanks to my friend EDelMar who obtained the tickets. For a day or so, I'm going to change my name from Front-Ranger to Front-Row-Center!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2007, 11:06:18 am »
Great news about Steve Earle and all he is doing lately in the latest New Yorker. I didn't know that his earliest inspiration when growing up in San Antonio, Texas, was Bob Dylan, who had just released his Freewheelin Bob Dylan album. It says Earle took off for NYC but detoured to Nashville for a few decades. He's now settled in the Village, loving it, and working on a walking tour of the Village, among many other things. There is a slight chance that after 15 years of reading the New Yorker I may actually go to New York, so I'm excited to hear this! Also, I'm gonna check out the TV show The Wire because apparently he plays a character and sings the theme song.

Here is Steve Earle's song from Brokeback Mountain:

Devil's Right Hand
(Steve Earle)
About the time that Daddy left to fight the big war
I saw my first pistol in the general store
In the general store, when I was thirteen
I thought it was the finest thing I ever had seen

So l asked if I could have one someday when I grew up
Mama dropped a dozen eggs, she really blew up
She really blew up, and she didn't understand
Mama said the pistol is the devil's right hand

The devil's right hand, the devil's right hand
Mama says the pistol is the devil's right hand

Me very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
Shoots as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow
It loads a mite slow, and soon I found out
It'll get you into trouble but it can't get you out

So about a year later I bought a Colt 45
Called a peacemaker but I never knew why
I never knew why, I didn't understand

Got into a card game in a company town
I caught a miner cheating, I shot the dog down
I shot the dog down, I watched the man fall
He never touched his holster, never had a chance to draw

The trial was in the morning and they drug me out of bed
Asked me how I pleaded, not guilty I said
Not guilty I said, you've got the wrong man
Nothing touched the trigger but the devil's right hand

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2007, 11:09:55 am »

I just bought my first ever concert tickets day before yesterday...cant wait to go...
          Rufus Wainwright at a local smallish intimate venue...Its normally a club.  dont know
          for sure how the seating will be.......but ive heard that is the way to see him best.

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2007, 04:09:09 pm »
Great, Janice!! When will you see him? I've heard his new album is his best yet!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2007, 01:29:35 pm »
I think I found the perfect Father's Day present. The Traveling Wilburys 2-CD set with an included DVD and never before heard bonus tracks.

Quick, who can name the members of the band The Travelling Wilburys???

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2007, 02:30:04 pm »

Quick, who can name the members of the band The Travelling Wilburys???

Okay, let's see, maybe a hint will help. Um, how about, the Heartbreaking Pretty Woman at the Concert for Bangladesh Offered Shelter from the Storm to the Electric Light Orchestra. There, that should do it!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2007, 03:32:28 pm »
There are, like, over 40 people on the board right now! Danged if I know what-all they are doing! Can only get Jeff Wrangler to wrangle with me, 'cause he's easy (must have a boring job).

Since you all have been dying to know WHO were in the Travelling Wilburys, I won't keep you hanging any longer. The personnel in the band were George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, and Bob Dylan.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Music News: The Travelling Wilburys
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2007, 03:55:07 pm »
Everything you ever wanted to know about them:

There never was a supergroup more super than the Traveling Wilburys. They had Jeff Lynne, the leader of ELO; they had Roy Orbison, the best pop singer of the '60s; they had Tom Petty, the best roots rocker this side of Bruce Springsteen; they had a Beatle and Bob Dylan, for crying out loud! It's impossible to picture a supergroup with a stronger pedigree than that (all that's missing is a Rolling Stone), but in another sense it's hard to call the Wilburys a true supergroup, since they arrived nearly two decades after the all-star craze of the '70s peaked, and they never had the self-important air of nearly all the other supergroups. That, of course, was the key to their charm: they were a group of friends that fell together easily, almost effortlessly, to record a B-side for a single for George Harrison, then had such a good time they stuck around to record a full album, which became a hit upon its 1988 release. The Traveling Wilburys was big enough to convince the group to record a second album, cheerfully and incongruously titled Vol. 3, two years later despite the death of Orbison. Like most sequels, the second didn't live up to expectations, and by the time it and its predecessor drifted out of print in the mid-'90s, with the rights reverting to Harrison, nobody much noticed. A few years later, though, it soon became apparent that the Wilburys records -- mainly, the debut, widely beloved thanks to its two hits, "Handle With Care" and "End of the Line" -- were out of print, and they soon became valuable items as the Harrison estate dragged its heels on a reissue. Finally, the two albums were bundled up as a two-CD set simply called The Traveling Wilburys and reissued with a DVD containing a documentary and all the videos in the summer of 2007 (there is also a deluxe edition containing a longer, lavish booklet).

Looking back via The Traveling Wilburys, the group's success seems all the more remarkable because the first album is surely, even proudly, not a major statement. Even under the direction of Lynne, who seems incapable of not polishing a record till it gleams, it's loose and funny, even goofy. It's clearly a lark, which makes the offhanded, casual virtuosity of some of the songs all the more affecting, particularly the two big hits, which are sunny and warm, partially because they wryly acknowledge the mileage on these rock & roll veterans. "Handle With Care" and "End of the Line" are the two masterworks here, although Roy's showcase, "Not Alone Anymore" -- more grand and moving than anything on the Lynne-produced Mystery Girl -- comes close in the stature, but its stylized melodrama is a ringer here: it, along with Dylan's offhand heartbreak tune "Congratulations," is the only slow thing here, and the rest of the album just overspills with good vibes, whether it's Tom Petty's lite reggae of "Last Night," Jeff Lynne's excellent Jerry Lee Lewis update "Rattled," or Dylan's very funny "Dirty World," which is only slightly overshadowed by his very, very funny Springsteen swipe "Tweeter and the Monkey Man." These high times keep The Traveling Wilburys fresh and fun years later, after Lynne's production becomes an emblem of the time instead of transcending it. (The album contains two bonus tracks in this reissue, the excellent Harrison song "Maxine" -- a low-key waltz that should have made the cut -- and "Like a Ship," a folky dirge that builds into ELO-esque pop which is pretty good but doesn't have the effervescence of the rest.)

The Traveling Wilburys built upon Harrison's comeback with Cloud Nine and helped revitalize everybody else's career, setting the stage for Dylan's 1989 comeback with Oh Mercy, Petty's first solo album, Full Moon Fever, produced by Lynne (sounding and feeling strikingly similar to this lark), and Orbison's Mystery Girl, which was released posthumously. Given the success of this record and how it boosted the creativity of the rest of the five, it's somewhat a shock that the second effort falls a little flat. In retrospect, Vol. 3 plays a little bit better than it did at the time -- it's the kind of thing to appreciate more in retrospect, since you'll never get another album like it -- but it still labors mightily to recapture what came so effortlessly the first time around, a problem that can't merely be chalked up to the absence of Orbison (who after all, didn't write much on the first and only took lead on one song). Where the humor flowed naturally and absurdly throughout the debut, it feels strained on Vol. 3 -- nowhere more so than on "Wilbury Twist," where Petty implores you to put your underwear on your head and get up and dance, the epitome of forced hilarity -- and the production is too polished and punchy to give it a joie de vivre similar to the debut. That polish is an indication that Lynne and Petty dominate this record, which only makes sense because they made it between Full Moon Fever and Into the Great Wide Open, but it's striking that this sounds like more like their work, even when Dylan takes the lead on "Inside Out" or the doo wop-styled "7 Deadly Sins." Both of these are quite good songs and they have a few other companions here, like the quite wonderful country stomp "Poor House," but they're songs more notable for their craft than their impact -- nothing is as memorable as the throwaways on the debut -- and when combined with the precise production, it takes a bit for them to sink in. But give the record some time, and these subtle pleasures are discernible, even if they surely pale compared to the open-hearted fun of the debut. But when paired with the debut on this set, it's a worthy companion and helps support the notion that the Traveling Wilburys were a band that possesses a unique, almost innocent, charm that isn't diminished after all this time. Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Music News: The Travelling Wilburies
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2007, 04:06:26 pm »
Lyrics from Dirty World by The Travelling Wilburies. And, yes, it reminds me of Brokeback Mountain!

He love your sexy body, he loves your dirty mind
He loves when you hold him when you grab him from behind
Oh baby, you're such a pretty thing
I can't wait to introduce you to the other members of my gang

You don't need no wax job, you're smooth enough for me
If you need you oil changed I'll do it for you free
Oh baby, the pleasure would be all mine
If you let me drive your pickup truck and park it where the sun don't shine

Every time he touches you his hair stands up on end
His legs begin to quiver and his mind begins to bend
Oh baby, you're such a tasty treat
But I'm under doctor's orders, I'm afraid to overeat

He love your sense of humor, your disposition too
There's absolutely nothing that he don't love about you
Oh baby, I'm on my hands and knees
Life would be so simple if I only had you to please

Oh baby, turn around and say goodbye
You go to the airport now and I'm going home to cry

(Chorus)
He loves your...
Electric dumplings
Red bell peppers
Fuel injection
Service charge
Five-speed gearbox
Long indurance
Quest for junk food
Big refrigerator
Trembling wilbury
Marble earrings
Porky curtains
Power steering
Bottled water
Parts and services

(Bridge)
Dirty world, a dirty world, it's a ...ing dirty world

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Music News: Memory Almost Full
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2007, 10:57:01 am »
I picked up Paul McCartney's latest yesterday and I like it very much, especially the songs "That Was Me," "House of Wax," and "The End of the End." I would like to hear your reactions too. Watch here for some lyrics!

My 19-yr-old daughter was listening to the CD and I asked her if she knew who was playing. She didn't have a clue. When I told her it was the 60-yr-old McCartney, she said she wouldve never guessed him in a million years!